• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Local Church.

• Members

1 Thessalonians 1:1, “The Church at Thessalonica”

“Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians which is in God the Father and in the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father, and the Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Thessalonians 1:1

Map of Thessalonica (Greece) and Surrounding Area

image.png.a8f73b8a0235bed1aad2fd04258d2183.png

The Map of Thessalonica is the courtesy of:

http://www.ccel.org/bible/phillips/JBPhillips.htm

Also, Wikipedia has a interesting article on the history of Thessalonica. Here is the link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thessaloniki

The apostle Paul was a missionary. In his second missionary journey, Paul, Silas, and Timothy, travelled to Thessalonica and preached the gospel, Acts 17:1-15. They initially preached the gospel in the local synagogue. The Lord blessed with many Greeks, or Gentiles, being converted. Due to a heart of envy, the missionary group was persecuted and had to leave the area, after three weeks, and they then travelled to Berea and then to Athens.

At the end of the book of Thessalonica we read this note. “The first epistle unto the Thessalonians was written from Athens.” Although not considered inspired by God and included in Holy Writ, the note can be assumed as historical truth.

“… unto the church of the Thessalonians.” In the brief time that the apostle Paul, Silas, and Timothy were at the city of Thessalonica, and in the time of persecution, the Greeks living there believed the message of salvation. A local church was established. The apostle Paul is clearly referring to one congregation of believers and not to some “Universal Church.” The notion of a “Universal Church” in either First or Second Thessalonians is non existent.

The church was a local assembly. No ecclesiastical hierarchy is mentioned, or implied, in either First or Second Thessalonians nor any other portion of scripture.

In 1 Thessalonians 1: 6a we read this very important phase concerning our study in the local church, “And ye became followers of us and of the Lord ...” The Thessalonian saints followed the teachings, and godly living of Paul and the other brethren, left their idolatrous practices, learned the doctrines of the scriptures, and became soul-winners.

“… followers of us and of the Lord ...” includes the doctrine of the local church. The Lord Jesus is the head of the church: Matthew 16:18, “And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.” There is to be no ecclesiastical authority, or denomination, of any kind to be over the local assembly.

Concerning Baptism: Believers only and baptism by immersion only, “Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.” Acts 1:22

Edited by Alan
added 'Concerning Baptism

• Administrators

Well done Alan. Acts 1:22 can also be considered as a proof verse for the office of an Apostle. I submit this as an "aside" only, I don't want to take away from your teaching in this verse in reference to baptism, but thought of it as a reminder that there were indeed certain qualifications or the office of an Apostle. Although written specifically to the local church at Thessalonica, this verse also shows and affirms Paul's office of Apostle to the Gentiles.

• Members

I am of the same opinion Jim.

Besides the matter of the qualifications of the office of an Apostle (that an apostle must have seen Christ as a risen Saviour), Acts 1:22 brings out very clearly that if a church, or an assembly,  or an denomination, is not following the baptism of John the Baptist than that church, or assembly, or denomination, is not a New Testament church.

I, and I am sure others here on Online Baptist, appreciate all of the side information that has a bearing on the local church. So, thank you for you welcomed addition to this study.

• Members

Our next look at the local church in First & Second Thessalonians will be in 1 Thessalonians 2:14.

In 1 Thessalonians 2:14 the apostle Paul makes mention of the churches in Judea, so, you may want to review the lesson on Acts 8:1-3 and 9:31, "Persecution Against the Local Church," given on this thread on September 15, 2018. Here is that link:

• Administrators
14 hours ago, Alan said:

I am of the same opinion Jim.

Besides the matter of the qualifications of the office of an Apostle (that an apostle must have seen Christ as a risen Saviour), Acts 1:22 brings out very clearly that if a church, or an assembly,  or an denomination, is not following the baptism of John the Baptist than that church, or assembly, or denomination, is not a New Testament church.

I, and I am sure others here on Online Baptist, appreciate all of the side information that has a bearing on the local church. So, thank you for you welcomed addition to this study.

Thanks Alan, you are right on the money with your observation that any assembly not following the baptism of John the Baptist cannot be a New Testament Church.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

1 Thessalonians 2:14, "Followers of Other Good Churches"

"For ye, brethren, became followers of the churches of God which in Judaea are in Christ Jesus: for ye also have suffered like things of your own countrymen, even as they have of the Jews." 1 Thessalonians 2:14

The apostle Paul had previously shown how the churches, which were regional, or local, in Judaea, a region of Israel, had suffered intense persecution by their own countrymen. The Thessalonian saints willingly followed the examples of the churches, or assemblies, of the saints in Judaea in following Christ. And, because of their faith in following Christ, and His doctrines, the Thessalonian church was persecuted by their own countrymen.

The apostle Paul is very clear in his meaning. The churches in Judaea were separate congregations of believers from the churches in Thessalonica. The two regions, or local areas, were not connected, or governed, in any manner, with any ecclesiastical hierarchy, bishop, Pope, Priest, denomination, or other governmental body.

The church, as a body of believers,  in Thessalonica willingly made the decision to  follow the example of the good churches in Judaea.

A true New Testament church does not have any ecclesiastical body over them. All New Testament churches, or assemblies, are independent and make their own decisions in church matters.

• Members

2 Thessalonians 1:1-4, “A Local Church and Other Churches”

“Paul, and Silvanus, and Timotheus, unto the church of the Thessalonians in God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We are bound to thank God always for you, brethren, as it is meet, because that your faith groweth exceedingly, and the charity of every one of you all toward each other aboundeth; So that we ourselves glory in you in the churches of God for your patience and faith in all your persecutions and tribulations that ye endure.” 2 Thessalonians 1:1-4

The apostle Paul was very thankful that the saints at Thessalonica grew in grace. The charity of the saints at the church at Thessalonica is a glowing example to all of us. In spite of the persecutions and tribulations that they went through, they grew in grace and faith.

In the same passage, it is very obvious that the church in Thessalonica was independent in scope, authority, work, and fully autonomous from other churches. So, it is clearly obvious that the other churches were local in authority and fully autonomous. There was no religious hierarchical authority, bishop, priest, or other individual or organization, binding the church at Thessalonica and the other churches together.

Furthermore, the concept of an ‘universal church’ is clearly not in evidence in any form or fashion and totally foreign in this passage.

Edited by Alan
scripture reference

• Members

Brethren,

In checking my lessons on this thread, in my previous lessons in 1 & 2 Timothy, I noticed that I did not mention the important note on the end of the book of 2 Timothy (after 4:22) concerning the office of a bishop. Although the note is not inspired scripture, I feel that the note is an historical fact that has a bearing on the authority of the local church that needs to be addressed in these lessons.

So, consider the note at the end of the book of 2 Timothy chapter 4, right after verse 22.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The End Note on Second Timothy – The First Bishop of Rome”

The end note on the book of Second Timothy, on the Authorized Version of the Bible, commonly called the King James Version of 1611, says, “The second epistle unto Timotheus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.”

Considered by most saints, the book of Second Timothy, is the last book of the New Testament written by Paul the Apostle. The Apostle Paul is in prison, he is about to be beheaded by the Roman Government, and is giving his son in the faith, Timothy, some last instructions, doctrinal information, admonitions, encouragement, and a final farewell.

The author of the end note is not known and it is not considered written by Paul in the Epistle nor is it considered inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is though, considered an historical fact noted by someone in the history of time to actual events and of whose name will be revealed in the courts of heaven.

“The second epistle unto Timotheus ...” the Apostle Paul wrote two epistles to Timothy.

“… ordained ...” Timothy was ordained into the ministry. The Apostle Paul had previously wrote to Timothy to be very careful in ordaining a man into the ministry. Paul wrote, “Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins, keep thyself pure.” 1 Timothy 5:22 The context of 1 Timothy 5:22 is of an elder, or the pastor, of a church (1 Timothy 5:17-21). Furthermore, in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 (along with Titus 1:5-9), the context is that a man who is ordained into the ministry needs to meet the qualifications of the pastor.

Only the Local Church has the Authority to Ordain

The apostle Paul stated, “Neglect not the gift that is in thee, which was given thee by prophecy, with the laying on of the hands of the presbytery.” 1 Timothy 4:14

The Bible Hub gives us the definition of presbytery - greek πρεσβυτερίου.

“4244. presbuterion.

Strong's Concordance

presbuterion: a body of elders

Original Word: πρεσβυτέριον, ου, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: presbuterion
Phonetic Spelling: (pres-boo-ter'-ee-on)
Definition: a body of elders
Usage: an assembly of elders, the Sanhedrin, officers of the church assembly, presbytery.” 1

Therefore, the meaning of “the presbytery,” in the context of 1 Timothy 4:14, is clearly pastors, or elders, of local churches.

As instituted by the Apostle Paul, only the pastors of local churches can ordain another man into the ministry. Writing to Titus, Paul stated, “For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting, and ordain elders in every city, as I appointed thee.” Titus 1:5

1 Corinthians 7:17 states, “But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so I ordain in all churches.” The apostle Paul never gave any instruction, commandment, or ordinance, to any organization outside the local church.

The modern practice of ordaining a man intro the ministry at the conclusion of his graduating from a seminary is not found in scriptures. In fact, the modern practice of ordaining a man by any denomination is not found in scripture.

The authority of ordaining a man in the ministry is as the practice of Paul the apostle. As an apostle, and as the example given to Timothy, and the express command to Titus, only the pastors of a New Testament, local, independent church has the authority to ordain a man into the ministry.

“… the first bishop ...” The bishop, or overseer, or pastor, or elder, is the overseer of only one church.

Starting with the Roman Catholic Church, the various religious denominations have changed the meaning, and practice, of a bishop being the head of one church into the overseer, or head, of numerous churches within a region. This practice is not scriptural.

“… of the church of the Ephesians ...” In this case, Timothy was clearly only the overseer, or head, of the church at Ephesus. Timothy was not the overseer, or head, or bishop, over numerous churches in a given region.

“… was written from Rome ...” This epistle was written by Paul the apostle in a jail cell in Rome while he was waiting for his execution.

“… when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.” The first time that Paul the apostle was brought before the Roman authorities for trial is found in Acts 28:16-31. In that trial, obviously, Paul was not put to death.

The second time that the Apostle Paul appeared before the Roman government, Nero had him sentenced to death. According to tradition, because Paul was a Roman citizen, the Apostle Paul was beheaded.

Edited by Alan
colon

• Administrators
On 11/5/2019 at 10:08 AM, Alan said:

The End Note on Second Timothy – The First Bishop of Rome”

The end note on the book of Second Timothy, on the Authorized Version of the Bible, commonly called the King James Version of 1611, says, “The second epistle unto Timotheus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.”

Considered by most saints, the book of Second Timothy, is the last book of the New Testament written by Paul the Apostle. The Apostle Paul is in prison, he is about to be beheaded by the Roman Government, and is giving his son in the faith, Timothy, some last instructions, doctrinal information, admonitions, encouragement, and a final farewell.

The author of the end note is not known and it is not considered written by Paul in the Epistle nor is it considered inspired by the Holy Spirit. It is though, considered an historical fact noted by someone in the history of time to actual events and of whose name will be revealed in the courts of heaven.

“The second epistle unto Timotheus ...” the Apostle Paul wrote two epistles to Timothy.

“… ordained ...” Timothy was ordained into the ministry. The Apostle Paul had previously wrote to Timothy to be very careful in ordaining a man into the ministry. Paul wrote, “Lay hands suddenly on no man, neither be partaker of other men’s sins, keep thyself pure.” 1 Timothy 5:22 The context of 1 Timothy 5:22 is of an elder, or the pastor, of a church (1 Timothy 5:17-21). Furthermore, in 1 Timothy 3:1-7 (along with Titus 1:5-9), the context is that a man who is ordained into the ministry needs to meet the qualifications of the pastor.

Only the Local Church has the Authority to Ordain

Bro. Alan is right on the money with this lesson. Only a local New Testament Church has the authority to ordain, and that ordination is to be accomplished through the oversight of other pastors to assure that a man meets the qualifications laid out in Scripture. I might mention also that it is my personal belief that this ordination by a local church is also an affirmation of God's call of a man to the ministry by a local church.

So then, if ordination is to be carried out only though and by a local church, this begs the question of ordination by any organization outside of a local church being valid at all. 

• Members
20 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Alan is right on the money with this lesson. Only a local New Testament Church has the authority to ordain, and that ordination is to be accomplished through the oversight of other pastors to assure that a man meets the qualifications laid out in Scripture. I might mention also that it is my personal belief that this ordination by a local church is also an affirmation of God's call of a man to the ministry by a local church.

So then, if ordination is to be carried out only though and by a local church, this begs the question of ordination by any organization outside of a local church being valid at all. 

Throughout this series of lessons on the local church, it is my contention that a lot of what goes on, including the ordination of men and women that are not qualified, in the denominational headquarters is not, repeat, is not, according to what is written in  the New Testament. So, in the sight of God, the ordinations, the baptisms, the methodology, "bishops", false doctrine, religious hierarchy, ecumenism, etc... by the denominational headquarters, are  not valid and will not stand at the Judgment Seat of Christ.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

James 2:1-4, “Respect of Persons in the Local Assembly”

Writing to the saints in a local assembly, the Apostle James said, “My brethren, have not the faith of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory, with respect of persons. For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, Sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, Stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: Are ye not them partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts?” James 2:1-4

Introduction

By way of context, the Apostle James is exhorting those brethren in the church not to respect other people that come to church by their outward appearance, position in the community, wealth, poverty, or other judgmental attitudes.

The story of the rich man and Lazarus in Luke 16:19-31 was told, among other reasons, not to judge by the outward appearance and whether or not a person was wealthy or not.

The Lord Jesus said, “Judge not, that ye be not judged.” Matthew 7:1

The Lord Jesus condemned those who sought the prominent positions in the synagogues. “And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues.” Matthew 23:6 The Lord Jesus is condemning the respect of persons, partiality, a judgmental attitude towards the poor and a submissive attitude towards the rich in the synagogues in His era. The Apostle James is trying to get rid of these same attitudes in the local assembly. According to the Apostle James, respecting people of wealth, position in life, the outward appearance, and partiality in a local assembly, are among the same faults that were in the Jewish synagogues, and are evil thoughts.

I would like to note that the situation that was in the synagogues in the time of Christ is strikingly similar to the assembly that the apostle James writes too.

The Assembly was Not called a House Church

“For if there come unto your assembly ...” In all of the references to an assembly of believers in a house in the Epistles, the Apostle writing the epistle carefully mentions the owner of the house and the passage clearly indicates that the brethren are meeting in a house. In this passage of scripture, James 2:1-4,  no mention of any believer is mentioned nor is it mentioned that the saints were meeting in a house.

Assemblies that were House Churches

1. In Romans 16:3-5 Paul the Apostle was very careful to mention that Priscilla and Aquila had church services in their home. Romans 16:3-5, “Greet Priscilla and Aquila my helpers in Christ Jesus: Who have for my life laid down their own necks: unto whom not only I give thanks, but also all the churches of the Gentiles. Likewise greet the church that is in their house. Salute my well-beloved Epænetus, who is the firstfruits of Achaia unto Christ.See also 1 Corinthians 16:19

2. In the book of Philemon, Philemon was a personal friend, and a helper in the ministry, to Paul the Apostle. In a honour to the spiritual maturity, character, and devotion to Paul the apostle, Philemon is one of the finest examples of the act of grace towards an offender of the Lord Jesus.

Philemon 1-2 states, “Paul, a prisoner of Jesus Christ, and Timothy our brother, unto Philemon our dearly beloved, and fellow-labourer, and to our beloved Apphia, and Archippus our fellow-soldier, and to the church in thy house.” The assembly of saints that assembled at the house of Philemon was a house church. The apostle Paul is very careful to give honor those individuals who have willingly offered their house as a church building.

3. The apostle Paul mentions Nymphas and the church tin his house, “Salute the brethren which are in Laodicea, and Nymphas, and the church which is in his house.” Colossians 4:15

A Building for the Assembly of the Saints

In this passage, James 2:1-4, and by way of context, the entire book of James, the apostle James does not mention it was a house church nor an individual in which the house was assembled in. Therefore, it is highly probable that the assembly of saints were in a building that was either rented, or bought.

In the gospels it is plainly evident that the Synagogues were separate buildings that the faithful Jews met in in order to worship God. The Lord Jesus, and later the apostles, and the early church, met in the synagogues initially.

In fact, in Luke 7:1-10, the Lord Jesus commended the faith of the Roman Centurion highly for his donation of enough funds to build a synagogue. “And when they came to Jesus, they besought him instantly, saying, That he was worthy for whom he should do this: For he loveth our nation, and he hath built us a synagogue…. When Jesus heard these things, he marvelled at him, and turned him about, and said unto the people that followed him, I say unto you, I have not found so great faith, no not in Israel.” Luke 7:4-5 & 9

In the Old Testament economy, those who loved the Lord, and had faith, willingly donated funds, like the Centurion, in order to build a building in order to worship the Lord God.

After the Jews in the synagogues rejected the message of salvation, it would be natural for the early Christian saints to follow the practice of the Jews in the Old Testament economy and desire a building as a practical method to meet in instead of a house. As with the saints in the Old Testament economy, those saints who love the Lord, and have faith, like the Centurion, will willingly, and lovingly, give of their funds to build a building for the worship of the Lord Jesus and the proclamation of the Gospel.

Edited by Alan
grammer (3)

• Administrators

What??? No bake sales, rummage sales, yard sales? No begging the community for funds to build a building for the church to meet in?    :4_14_202:

I am a firm believer in a church's members supplying building funds, there is no need, nor is it right to expect the community to provide or asked to provide funds for this.

My church in Alaska consisted of about forty people at the time that building a building for the church was necessary. All funds for this purpose came directly from God's people as The Lord put it on their hearts.

As a mission church we met in the pastors house. Within two years we had enough money to build a small 24X24 foot building to meet in. In another year this was added on to for SS rooms for the children.

Within the next five years we built a decent size church building, added it onto the original 24X24 foot, which then became all SS rooms because we had grown. Our building projects were all paid for by our congregation, we never borrowed a cent for any purpose. All labor was performed by the men of the church, since we had a lot of tradesmen in the membership.