• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Reconciling our understanding of the word Baptism

• Administrators

In another thread on this forum I said that I would address this quote from Bro. Jordan: "I already quoted John the Baptist in response to you. There is a baptism with water and a baptism with the Holy Ghost, as well as a baptism with fire."

In the light of Bro. Jordan's statement we need to reconcile this Scripture below, how would you reconcile it? This is not a trick question designed to trip anyone up. It should be basic IFB teaching.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 
 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 

• Members

Wow! There's a lot of ads on here if you dont have an adblocker enabled! ?

I've watched from afar during the recent "universal church" discussion...and I chose to remain silent on that thread. I've watched this thread with anticipation, but no one has replied; therefore, I will. As usual, I don't claim to be right or all-knowing, so if I'm wrong, please forgive me Lord (and all my brethren here).

One baptism...what is it?

Is it the literal baptism; in which, a believer is baptized in water...or is it the spiritual baptism that one receives upon being saved? As I look at the entire context of the scripture in question, I am faced with those two choices. As a side note, in God's word, there are actually more than the three baptisms mentioned by Jordan in the other thread.

As I look at the entire scripture in question, one thing stands out to me; which is, the "items" mentioned all have to do with the spiritual rather than the physical. The first three verses of Ephesians 4 lead up to "the Spirit". Therefore, as I look at the verses (in question) which follow, and as I look at whether the other "items" are physical here on earth or spiritual, I can only ascertain that the "one baptism" is the spiritual baptism that all believers receive upon salvation.

One body: spiritual

One Spirit: spiritual

One hope of your calling: spiritual

One Lord: spiritual.

One faith: spiritual

One baptism: ???

One God and Father of all: spiritual

For example: some churches "require" an additional physical water baptism (of a member) in order to join their church...if they were former members of another church and/or denomination. That's not "one baptism". However, if that individual was saved, they were baptized by the spirit into the body of Christ. Nothing can change that, and that was "one baptism".

• Administrators

Pretty good answer NN, and backed by sound reasoning. My thoughts on this run in a much simpler direction, which I will elaborate on once others have chimed in.

I appreciate the thought you put into your answer, but in my mind it still leaves me with the exact wording of Eph 4:4, where it specifies precisely: one baptism. In light of this I have to ask the question, "how can you reconcile the other instances where baptism is mentioned in Scripture"?

This question may seem rhetorical and indeed may be, so don't feel obligated to answer it if you are not comfortable with answering. I'm  not posting this to make anyone feel uncomfortable by posting outside of their comfort zone. 

It's early here and I am getting ready for church, so probably will not be back online again until late afternoon.

• Members
On 8/5/2018 at 9:43 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Pretty good answer NN, and backed by sound reasoning. My thoughts on this run in a much simpler direction, which I will elaborate on once others have chimed in.

I appreciate the thought you put into your answer, but in my mind it still leaves me with the exact wording of Eph 4:4, where it specifies precisely: one baptism. In light of this I have to ask the question, "how can you reconcile the other instances where baptism is mentioned in Scripture"?

This question may seem rhetorical and indeed may be, so don't feel obligated to answer it if you are not comfortable with answering. I'm  not posting this to make anyone feel uncomfortable by posting outside of their comfort zone. 

It's early here and I am getting ready for church, so probably will not be back online again until late afternoon.

Sorry. I thought that I answered in an explanatory fashion. :laugh:

I'll try to explain my thoughts and belief better...maybe. 

There are several different baptisms mentioned in scripture...the Israelites were baptized unto Moses, John's baptisms were baptisms of repentance, the Lord was baptized to fufill all righteousness, baptism by the spirit into the body, believer's water baptism...and more...so it's apparent (to me) that the verse in question isn't inferring that there is only one baptism and no others; rather, it's referring to only one particular baptism that serves one particular purpose.

My belief (as I mentioned earlier) is that it's the baptism of the believer...performed by the Holy Spirit...which places the believer into the body of Christ. That baptism can only be performed one time, and that one-time baptism is the only baptism that serves that one particular purpose.

I believe that all of the "one" elements mentioned in Ephesians 4:4-6 are spiritual; therefore, the "one baptism" is too.

(1 Corinthians 12:13) For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whetherwe be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

• Administrators

You did explain your thoughts on this subject very well NN. I am sorry to make you have to write it twice. You went into great detail in your second response as well, which is appreciated. 

As I said before, my thoughts run in a much simpler direction, which, after reading your last response runs very much in the direction you elaborated on. My take on this portion of Scripture can be summed up in three words, but also elaborated on as you have done.

Mine is not some great Theological response, probably because I am not a Theologian.  My simple thoughts and understanding , summed up in three words are: "as to kind". In other words, context will determine what "kind" of Baptism is being spoken of.

As Brother Jordan pointed out in his original thread, there are different "kinds" of Baptism. With water, with the Holy Ghost, with Fire. In contemplating Eph. 4:5 we know that there are many lords, but only one "as to kind", many faiths, but only one "as to kind", any many Baptisms,  but only one "as to kind". The "kind" must always be determined by context. Here is but one example of this concept: 

1Co 8:5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 
 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him. 

I'm not going to muddy this up any further, the above Scripture explains my understanding of Eph. 4:5  using my terminology of "as to kind" very well. I would welcome any others thoughts and ideas regarding Eph. 4:5