• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Matthew 24:36

• Members

Matthew 24:36 KJV
[36] But of that day and hour knoweth no man , no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

I have heard many take this verse to teach the pre trip rapture. I see some problems though.

1. Paul called the rapture a mystery in 1Th, so how could Jesus be referring to it in Matthew 24?

2. It seems to make more sense based on context that this is talking about the second coming, seeing the Jewish character and the relations to Israel in Matthew 24 and 25. But this would mean you could theoretically know the day or hour because it would be at the end of the 7 year tribulation.

I am having a really hard time understanding Matthew 24:36 and have been puzzled by it for years. 

There a lot of inconsistencies in my mind with the pre trip rapture position but I also see Inconsitencies with the other views as well. 

Maybe some of you wiser and more mature saints in the faith could help me out here. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
14 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Matthew 24:36 KJV
[36] But of that day and hour knoweth no man , no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

I have heard many take this verse to teach the pre trip rapture. I see some problems though.

1. Paul called the rapture a mystery in 1Th, so how could Jesus be referring to it in Matthew 24?

2. It seems to make more sense based on context that this is talking about the second coming, seeing the Jewish character and the relations to Israel in Matthew 24 and 25. But this would mean you could theoretically know the day or hour because it would be at the end of the 7 year tribulation.

I am having a really hard time understanding Matthew 24:36 and have been puzzled by it for years. 

There a lot of inconsistencies in my mind with the pre trip rapture position but I also see Inconsitencies with the other views as well. 

Maybe some of you wiser and more mature saints in the faith could help me out here. 

I myself am quite convinced contextually that the rapture is not at all whatsoever referenced in Matthew 24-25, Mark 13, Luke 21.

• Members
3 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

I myself am quite convinced contextually that the rapture is not at all whatsoever referenced in Matthew 24-25, Mark 13, Luke 21.

My next question then, how can it be a reference to the second coming if we know Jesus returns at the end of the 7 year tribulation? That would mean we know the day. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

My next question then, how can it be a reference to the second coming if we know Jesus returns at the end of the 7 year tribulation? That would mean we know the day. 

I would contend that the generation of that time ("this generation" as per Matthew 24:34, Mark 13:30, Luke 21:32) will be able to discern "the times and the season," as per the parable of the fig tree in Matthew 24:32-33, Mark 13:28-29, Luke 21:29-31, but that they still will not be able to determine the specific day or hour.