• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Pastors to Be Sued for Not 'Marrying' Sodomites?

• Members

Pastors to Be Sued for Not 'Marrying' Sodomites?

Editor's note: After refusing to publicly hold civil officials accountable for disobeying the commandments of God concerning the crimes of homosexuality, pastors and churches in California now may face lawsuits for refusing to "marry" filthy sodomites, lawyers say.

"Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men." (Matthew 5:13)

Churches seek legal protection from same-sex activists
Allie Martin - OneNewsNow - 7/15/2008 9:30:00 AM

Pastors in California are learning how to avoid lawsuits in the wake of the legalization of same-sex "marriage" in that state.

Legal briefings being conducted by the Pacific Justice Institute (PJI) are meant to give practical counsel to pastors to limit legal liability to churches as they face requests to perform same-sex ceremonies. PJI president Brad Dacus says the Supreme Court's ruling caught many pastors by surprise.

"Pastors need to amend their policies and their statement of faith on a number of different issues, including events that are put on, who puts them on, the qualifications of the people participating in those events or marriage ceremonies, the usage of their facilities," Dacus contends. "They need to have real tight policies in place."

In addition, the briefings discuss Proposition 8 with an emphasis on what churches can do proactively to seek passage of the amendment in November. The attorney says pastors cannot wait for the state's voters to approve Prop. 8, defining marriage as only between a man and a woman. "Right now, pastors are literally sitting ducks for lawsuits here in California," Dacus explains. "That's why we have gone on a blitzkrieg up and down the state to educate pastors and provide them with all the tools they need to protect themselves -- and we're doing this completely without charge."

According to a PJI press release, Dacus says he is thankful for the opportunity to protect churches as they follow God's calling in their ministries. The legal briefings, which began in mid-June, will continue throughout the summer.

Churches or religious groups interested in hosting a briefing are encouraged to contact Pacific Justice Institute.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Legal/Default.aspx?id=171860

• Moderators

The lost general public don't realize that a pastor is not REQUIRED to marry or bury anyone. I personally will do a funeral for just about anyone (better opportunity to present the gospel than when you have a couple who want their wedding to keep w/in sometimes rather restrictive ceremony) but I've even seen people in the church that I wouldn't marry.

• Members
Wouldn't be easier to get rid of their tax exempt status and just say and do as they please? Follow the bible completely without worrying about what the state dictates.

That would be so hard on many churches, for they have gone into the money making business as a means to support the church and or for the pastor to make extra money. Of course a church has no business doing this to begin with. Churches are suppose to be in only one business.

KJ 1611
Mat 28:19 Goe ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the Name of the Father, and of the Sonne, and of the holy Ghost:
Mat 28:20 Teaching them to obserue all things, whatsoeuer I haue commanded you: and loe, I am with you alway, euen vnto the end of the world. Amen.

• Members
The lost general public don't realize that a pastor is not REQUIRED to marry or bury anyone. I personally will do a funeral for just about anyone (better opportunity to present the gospel than when you have a couple who want their wedding to keep w/in sometimes rather restrictive ceremony) but I've even seen people in the church that I wouldn't marry.

I would think us pastors have the right to refuse to marry anyone we chose not to marry.

Every couple that has come to me always ask, "Will you marry us?"

I have certain restrictions on who I will marry, if they are not met, I say no.

With funeral services, probably the only ways I would refuse is if I just could not be there or they told me what I could say and or could not say. So far I have never had anyone try and restrict me on what to say, but thankfully I have had many who have said, "I want you to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for there will be lost people present who needs to hear it, this may be their only opportunity."

• Members
That would be so hard on many churches, for they have gone into the money making business as a means to support the church and or for the pastor to make extra money. Of course a church has no business doing this to begin with. Churches are suppose to be in only one business.
Are you saying churches and pastors should not be in the marrying business? I don't know many pastors who have a side business of conducting weddings. I've conducted two weddings in my short ministry, but I don't see it as a business opportunity.

And what about commands to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, house the homeless? Are those not commands for churches as well?

Regarding sodomite weddings, since the state has taken on legalizing (licensing) marriages, the state regards marriages as its domain. The state "grants" churches and pastors the authority to conduct weddings, just like it grants licenses to businesses to operate. Several businesses and their owners in the United States are already being sued for turning away sodomites. Therefore, it won't be long before pastors and churches will be sued for refusing to marry sodomites.

• Members

This is all ridiculous. Let those "churches" who approve of homosexuality take care of them. If a sodomite comes to an IFB church to get "married" then they are doing so with the intent of stirring up trouble. They know what churches or denominations are sympathetic to them and which are not....they have an agenda! Hopefully, people will come to their senses and reverse their ability to call there wickedness a "marriage".

• Members

I firmly believe my answe lies in this which I have already posted.

"I wrote"

Every couple that has come to me always ask, "Will you marry us?"

I have certain restrictions on who I will marry, if they are not met, I say no.

"With funeral services, probably the only ways I would refuse is if I just could not be there or they told me what I could say and or could not say. So far I have never had anyone try and restrict me on what to say, but thankfully I have had many who have said, "I want you to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ, for there will be lost people present who needs to hear it, this may be their only opportunity."

Nothing in there about not marrying people.

But that said, many churches are in a business of one kind or another to generate money for their church and or a business that profits goes to its pastor.

Churches are to support itself, that is its member are to support the church by being cheerful givers.

They use to be a couple of churches around here that would set up booths from time to time at our local Wal-Mart asking for donations to support their church. They were very brazen, they woudl holler out, "Hey man, help support our church," as people would walk by.

As for me I'm happy that Wal-Mart stopped letting them do this, me being a pastor, it was embarrassing seeing them beg for money. I've had people ask me, "Why is that church down there at Wal-Mart begging for money?"

Guest Guest

chev1958...so you are saying that b/c the state says it is alright, or might be in the future...it is justifiable? What about what the word of God says? If I were a man/preacher...I would draw the line on this one. Nope. They couldn't get me to compromise the truth on this one. Forget it. :thumbdown This is God's law not man's law. :amen:

• Members

candle light, I don't think for one moment Mitch thinks that at all.

There is a small town south of us, a SBC church built a retirement home. They rent to elderly people. This home has made them lots of money and lessen the burden on their members. But, that is not God's way of doing things. Seems to me the example set forth in the Bible is that the member support their church by giving, and being a cheerful giver. What I give to our church, or I should say to God, I rightly do not expect nothing back from it in this life.

Eph 1:3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Iesus Christ, who hath blessed vs with all spirituall blessings in heauenly places in Christ:

Mat 6:19 Lay not vp for your selues treasures vpon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where theeues breake thorow, and steale.

Mat 6:20 But lay vp for your selues treasures in heauen, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, & where theeues doe not breake thorow, nor steale.

Mat 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

My hope is that I'm storing up spiritual blessings in heaven. I just don't believe the message that those prosperity TV pastors preach.

To many churches have turned their church into a business. Seems they look ever where for business opportunities.

• Moderators

That's why our Christian school only charges $450 per year per student and our Bible College only charges $250 per year per student - because there is a MAJOR difference between a ministry and an income source. These figures just barely cover neccesary expenses (if we could afford to do it, we wouldn't charge).

• Members

If the marriages not performed were limited to homosexual marriages, there could be a problem. I would not perform any marriage I did not believe to be founded on the right basis. These would include but not be limited to the marriage of a believer and an unbeliever, a divorcee, alcohol being served at the reception, and of course homosexuality. I know that some may disagree with some of those but that is not the matter being discussed so save your disagreements.