• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Tithing is a fairly hot topic on this board. I suggest you search the board under "tithing" and study the comments. Then if you have additional questions, then come on back here.

• Members

Before you accept SFIC's viewpoint on tithing, you should know others on this board don't agree with him. Tithing is first illustrated in the Old Testament before the Law was established. Abram gave a tithe of the spoils of conflict to Melchizedek, the "king of Salem" and the "priest of the most high God." Jacob and Isaac also tithed. These instances were before the nation of Israel was established.

On the other hand, God did command specific tithes from the children of Israel after the nation was established. Without going into a whole lot of detail, there were different tithes for different circumstances. They tithed according to the "seed of the field" or the "fruit of the tree." Those tithes and their requirements are listed in the Law.

The debate lies in whether the tithe still applies today. Some say tithing applies to NT Christians because the concept began before the Law was established and thus not subject to the Law. Therefore, Christians should tithe. Others contend that tithing only applies to the OT Israelites. Since NT Christians are not under the law but under grace, tithing is not required of Christians. Christians are commanded to be "cheerful givers" instead.

This is probably one of the most hotly debated topics on the message board, even more so that Bible versions, I dare say.

Guest Guest

Tithing (10%, minimum...of gross inclome) is not only found in the OT, but also in the NT scriptures. I don't know why this would be a "hot topic" on OB?

Jesus says, in Matthew 23:23...Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. KJV 1611 AV. Also, see Luke 11:42 KJV 1611 AV (Jesus is talking to the scribes and Pharisees, again in that scripture as well.)

Note, also in Luke 18:12...I fast twice in the week, I give tithes (one tenth) of all that I possess. KJV 1611 AV.

There are also scriptures in the Book of Hebrews as well on tithing. :amen:

Tithing is NOT an option to a believer. Giving with a "cheerful heart" comes easy with faithfulness and obedience. Also, offerings, other than tithing...to support missionaries, building projects, etc. eventually come from a "cheerful heart". I always remember that the IFB church is separate from the state...and, it's members are it's only source of income for the church to exist and survive. :smile

The King James NEW STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE by James Strong, LL.D., S.T.D. is a wonderful resource for all Biblical references. This is a KJVO reference book...it is just a newer edition.

candlelight

P.S. ~ Everything that we own belongs to God. When you give with a "cheerful heart"...it always comes back to you as a blessing, and then...some. The Lord will always honour this. :wave:

• Members
Tithing (10%, minimum...of gross inclome) is not only found in the OT, but also in the NT scriptures. I don't know why this would be a "hot topic" on OB?

Jesus says, in Matthew 23:23...Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. KJV 1611 AV. Also, see Luke 11:42 KJV 1611 AV (Jesus is talking to the scribes and Pharisees, again in that scripture as well.)

Note, also in Luke 18:12...I fast twice in the week, I give tithes (one tenth) of all that I possess. KJV 1611 AV.

There are also scriptures in the Book of Hebrews as well on tithing. :amen:

Tithing is NOT an option to a believer. Giving with a "cheerful heart" comes easy with faithfulness and obedience. Also, offerings, other than tithing...to support missionaries, building projects, etc. eventually come from a "cheerful heart". I always remember that the IFB church is separate from the state...and, it's members are it's only source of income for the church to exist and survive. :smile

The King James NEW STRONG'S EXHAUSTIVE CONCORDANCE by James Strong, LL.D., S.T.D. is a wonderful resource for all Biblical references. This is a KJVO reference book...it is just a newer edition.

candlelight

P.S. ~ Everything that we own belongs to God. When you give with a "cheerful heart"...it always comes back to you as a blessing, and then...some. The Lord will always honour this. :wave:

Because some like myself do not believe that tithing is taught in the New Testament. We are under grace, God's grace, thanks to His mercy He showed us grace.

Of course I firmly believe that the cheerful giver will give more than any 10%. If you have a church full of cheerful givers the church will have plenty of money to do its works with out having to pry money our of member by keeping on keeping on reminding them they are under an obligation to tithe 10%.

If God's children are under an obligation to give 10%, them they cannot be cheerful givers, they are giving out of an obligation to God. God wants us to give out of love, God wants us to obey Him out of love.

One person said we all have to give 10% to be on equal standings. That is hog wash. One standing with God does not depend giving 10%, it depends on how close they really draw to God and how well they mind Him.

But once again, none of us could have any hope, if it were not for God's mercy and grace that He has showed each saved person thru Christ the Savior.

• Members

Numbers 18 declares what the tithe was, a tenth of crops, flocks and herds.
Numbers 18 declares tithing was only required of the land of Israel, not of the Gentile lands.

The Pharisee that Jesus commended for his tithing did not tithe money... he tithed mint, cummim, and other herbs and spices.

If the Pharisee had tithed money, surely Jesus would have included money in the list of things that He stated the Pharisee tithed.

Malachi 3 is not a reprimand to all in the land of Israel, but to the priests. The Israelites were bringing the tithe to the Levits as commanded. There they were to eat the tithe with the Levites. The Levite's were to take 10% of the 10% to the storehouse. They were not.

The Priest only received 10% of the 10% tithe. This means the Priest only received 1%.

The Levites received the 10% because they were not allowed to own property in all the land of Israel. Therefore they could not raise their own crops, flocks and herds to sustain them. The other eleven tribes were to do that.

The tithe Abraham gave to Melchizedek was a one time tithe. He is never said to have tithed again. And that tithe was of the spoils of war, not Abraham's own property.

Numbers declares what God required of the spoils of war was 1%, not 10% Abraham's tithe was not in honor of God, but of Melchizedek, the king of Salem. Melchizedek was not a Theophany or a Christophany as some suppose. He was the king of Salem. Being king of Salem tells us he was king for a people who had made him king of that geographical region. Having no beginning or ending and without mother or father references the fact that no one knows from where Melchizedek came. There was no record.

Pagan nations practiced tithing to their gods and kings during that period in history. Abraham was only doing what was the custom of heathen nations in his tithe.

• Members

The 10% tithe required of God's people came from God.

However, the 10% tithe was practiced by heathen nations prior to the tithe God required of man. Heathen's would give 10% to other kings and principalities... as well as to their pagan gods.

Abraham was mimicking the practice of the pagans in his tithing to Melchizedek

• Members
The 10% tithe required of God's people came from God.

However, the 10% tithe was practiced by heathen nations prior to the tithe God required of man. Heathen's would give 10% to other kings and principalities... as well as to their pagan gods.

Abraham was mimicking the practice of the pagans in his tithing to Melchizedek

Wow - now you've even gone to some extremes in your position. Tithing is commended in the Word of God - and it was done to God, not in imitation of other pagan nations. Hebrews 7 shows that Abraham's tithing to Melchizedek was done to God, and that Melchizedek was a type of Christ.

Candlelight, I just wanted to mention that the New Strong's Concordance is actually a dangerous tool. They have played around with the numbers in it (yes, I have actually sat down and compared page after page to see what was different and what was the same), and many words in it also give alternate words/phrases - to bridge the gap between the KJV and modern versions.

Guest Guest

Wow - now you've even gone to some extremes in your position. Tithing is commended in the Word of God - and it was done to God, not in imitation of other pagan nations. Hebrews 7 shows that Abraham's tithing to Melchizedek was done to God, and that Melchizedek was a type of Christ.

Candlelight, I just wanted to mention that the New Strong's Concordance is actually a dangerous tool. They have played around with the numbers in it (yes, I have actually sat down and compared page after page to see what was different and what was the same), and many words in it also give alternate words/phrases - to bridge the gap between the KJV and modern versions.

Thanks, Br. Jerry. :thumb Where do you suggest I buy a Stong's Concordance? I have looked and I can't find one in the bookstore. Thanks. :wave:

candlelight

• Members

A bookstore can special order one for you. I can try to find the ISBN for you to order one, if you'd like. I've ordered various copies to give away through a local bookstore.