• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Publisher Whitaker House KJV Sword Study bible is NOT a true KJV

• Members

First off, I like this Sword bible for its Red Letter of the OT and the NT.  However, it has errors, or should I say, changes to GOD's Word.

Publisher Whitaker House KJV (fake version) bible errors. 

1. This is not a true King James Bible.

2. The word changes  are very subtle, but these changes effect the verse meaning drastically, taking away from the Word of GOD.

3. Below are some samples.

Book & Chapter

KJB / Fake KJV

King James Bible (KJB) 1611

Fake KJV (version)

Very FIRST PAGE of this bible titled:

This Holy Bible is presented to…

Has at the bottom of the page;

2nd Timothy 2:15

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Genesis 4:11

her / his

11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand;

11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened his mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand;

Genesis 4:12

her / his

12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive  and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee his strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

Genesis 18:4

fetched / brought

4 Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:

4 Let a little water, I pray you, be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:

Genesis 18:5

fetch / bring

5 And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

5 And I will bring a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

fetch / bring

Fetch is replaced with bring throughout the bible.

Genesis 39:20

place / palce

20 And Joseph’s master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king’s prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison.

20 And Joseph’s master took him, and put him into the prison, a palce where the king’s prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison.

Exodus 24:2

near / near

nigh / near

KJB has both near and nigh in the same verse.  Do they have a different meaning?

2 And Moses alone shall come near the LORD: but they shall not come nigh; neither shall the people go up with him.

NEAR – unto? / close to? / next to?

NIGH – towards? / approach? / advance?

2 And Moses alone shall come near the LORD: but they shall not come near; neither shall the people go up with him.

nigh / near

Nigh is replaced with near throughout the bible.

Matthew 2:11

and / --- (missing)

11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold,  --- frankincense, and myrrh.

Matthew 24:32

his / its

nigh / near

32  Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye  know that summer is nigh:

32  Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When its branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

Matthew 26:52

his / its

52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

Luke 6:44

his / its

44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

Luke 17:2

he / be

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and be cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

Luke 24:53

amen /--- (missing)

53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God.  Amen.

53 And were continually in the temple, praising and blessing God.  ---

twain / two

betwixt / between

to wit / “to know” or “that is”

And many other poetic words; too many to list.

Used for meaning and poetry.

Replaced throughout the bible

Edited by jdosher

• Members
6 hours ago, jdosher said:

First off, I like this Sword bible for its Red Letter of the OT and the NT.  However, it has errors, or should I say, changes to GOD's Word.

2. The word changes  are very subtle, but these changes effect the verse meaning drastically, taking away from the Word of GOD.

Book & Chapter

KJB / Fake KJV

Fake KJV (version)

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Study to show yourself approved to God, a workman that needs not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

her / his

11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand;

11 And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened his mouth to receive thy brother’s blood from thy hand;

her / his

12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive  and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

12 When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee his strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

fetched / brought

4 Let a little water, I pray you, be fetched, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:

4 Let a little water, I pray you, be brought, and wash your feet, and rest yourselves under the tree:

fetch / bring

5 And I will fetch a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

5 And I will bring a morsel of bread, and comfort ye your hearts; after that ye shall pass on: for therefore are ye come to your servant. And they said, So do, as thou hast said.

fetch / bring

place / palce

20 And Joseph’s master took him, and put him into the prison, a place where the king’s prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison.

20 And Joseph’s master took him, and put him into the prison, a palce where the king’s prisoners were bound: and he was there in the prison.

near / near

nigh / near

KJB has both near and nigh in the same verse.  Do they have a different meaning?

2 And Moses alone shall come near the LORD: but they shall not come nigh; neither shall the people go up with him.

2 And Moses alone shall come near the LORD: but they shall not come near; neither shall the people go up with him.

nigh / near

and / --- (missing)

11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

11 And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold,  --- frankincense, and myrrh.

his / its

nigh / near

32  Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye  know that summer is nigh:

32  Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When its branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is near:

his / its

52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

52 Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into its place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.

his / its

44 For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes.

he / be

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

2 It were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and be cast into the sea, than that he should offend one of these little ones.

amen /--- (missing)

twain / two

betwixt / between

While there are clearly some differences that change meaning, shew and show are the same exact word, just different spellings, Shew is British spelling and show is American, also needs and needeth are the same thing. The morpheme -eth is archaic and has been replaced in today’s English with the morpheme -s.

there is also no difference in meaning betwixt the word between and betwixt. 

Same for “wit” and “know” they both mean the same thing as well.

Same for “nigh” and “near” both mean the same thing.

I lament the fact how people do not understand the English language the way they think they do. There are plenty of real changes to point out that exist between the KJV and other versions. But modern equivalent of archaic words are not changes in meaning, nor are spelling changes either..On that note, have you ever seen a 1611 KJV? Son was spelled Sonne. Does the version you use have Son or Sonne? 

I am a through and through KJV bible believer and defender, but can we please stop making issues out of non issues?

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
On 5/28/2018 at 3:21 AM, Jordan Kurecki said:

While there are clearly some differences that change meaning, shew and show are the same exact word, just different spellings, Shew is British spelling and show is American, also needs and needeth are the same thing. The morpheme -eth is archaic and has been replaced in today’s English with the morpheme -s.

Show is also an English word.  Shew is archaic,  When I was young railway stations used to have a sign "ALL TICKETS MUST BE SHEWN."   Even at that time  it was archaic as we usually used Show,  I could not understand what shewn meant.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

I do not endorse changes in meaning, but changes that correct typos or update spelling are not demonic. The Bible was not written originally in English - but in Hebrew/Aramaic and Greek, then translated into English (and many other languages). If the English translation is faithful, but uses a different English word meaning the exact same thing, then it is not evil or a counterfeit. There were several English translations before the King James Bible was translated.

Of course, I firmly believe the King James Bible is God’s Word to the English-speaking world. I do not believe we will see another one translated on the same scope and with the same accuracy - all modern attempts at updating the language of the KJB have failed, as far as I have seen so far.

If someone wants to expose a modern English translation or updating of the KJB as a counterfeit, then focus on the passages that change the meaning of the text, not that update spelling or use a different word meaning the exact same thing. That type of argument is a red herring or a silly goose chase, leading nowhere of value.

• 5 months later...
  • Members
On 5/27/2018 at 3:14 PM, jdosher said:

Book & Chapter

KJB / Fake KJV

Fake KJV (version)

her / his

her / his

fetched / brought

fetch / bring

fetch / bring

place / palce

near / near

nigh / near

nigh / near

and / --- (missing)

his / its

nigh / near

his / its

his / its

he / be

amen /--- (missing)

twain / two

betwixt / between

Is there a link for this Sword Bible?   

It's not a fake KJV because it doesn't claim to be the KJV.  It claims to be the KJVER: King James Version Easy Reading. It explains it's based on the KJV but "updates the language for the modern reader" right in the product description before you order.   Why doesn't your post reveal that it identifies itself as the KJVER version, not the KJV?   

The above post makes it look like it claims to be the KJV but sneaks in changes that someone cleverly discovered by comparing verses to the KJV.  It's not fake.  It's not sneaky.  It's just another KJV-related translation like the KJV2000, AKJV, or NKJV.

• 6 months later...
  • Members

I don't believe the KJV  text should be changed at all. it should be the 1611 edition, as that was the original one, and all its makers are long-dead, freezing their work in time.

And I'd like to see the translators' preface, "To The Reader" included, as well as the Apocrypha placed between the Testaments, as the AV 1611 has.

• Members
7 hours ago, robycop3 said:

I don't believe the KJV  text should be changed at all. it should be the 1611 edition, as that was the original one, and all its makers are long-dead, freezing their work in time.

And I'd like to see the translators' preface, "To The Reader" included, as well as the Apocrypha placed between the Testaments, as the AV 1611 has.

Why?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

We shouldn't change any of Shakespeare's plays because he's dead, having passes in 1616.

We shouldn't change the KJV because its makers are also all dead.

But GOD'S WORD ITSELF is modernized because God is alive & in charge !

• Members
On 5/27/2018 at 3:14 PM, jdosher said:

Book & Chapter

KJB / Fake KJV

Fake KJV (version)

her / his

her / his

fetched / brought

fetch / bring

fetch / bring

place / palce

near / near

nigh / near

nigh / near

and / --- (missing)

his / its

nigh / near

his / its

his / its

he / be

amen /--- (missing)

twain / two

betwixt / between

So, "he" is archaic, and a non-issue, and must be modernized in order to make the KJV readable? "Amen" is archaic, and is a non-issue, and must be modernized in order to make the KJV readable? "Twain" is archaic, and a non-issue and must be modernized ?  "Nigh" is archaic, and is a non-issue, and must be modernized? "And" is archaic, and a non-issue, and must be taken out of the KJV text to make it more readable? "Fetch" is  archaic, and a non-issue, and must be modernized? "Her" to "His" is a non-issue, and must be changed?

Every time a new version of the King James Version is brought out, that supposedly just changes the "archaic" words, it turns out the many more changes are made by the whim of the translator. In other words, the translators are using the pretext of the archaic issue to make further changes for: (1) profit; (2) Fame.

For a person to call himself a "Bible Believer," and thinks that these changes are "non-issues," and accepts these changes is, in my eyes, questionable.

• Moderators

I have this Bible-ordered it for my wife while she was in the hospital. I recently began to use it, as she never did, (she wanted her regular bible), having left my 'preaching' Bible at the church house, when I began to preach online from my camper. I had only used it a couple times, but the first thing I noticed was that it changed most of the uses of the name "Timotheus" to "Timothy". Yes, same name, same person, but I suspect there was a reason for the different uses of the names, though I haven't done a study on that. It just seemed...odd, as they left Timotheus in a few places, but changed it in others. So I went and got my regular preaching KJV Bible, because if some things have been changed without letting on, that else is changed? Some things DO make a difference, like "Always" Vs. Alway", which is 'always' changed to "always" in modern versions. Or thoroughly vs throughly: different, though similar words.