• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

"I Knew You Were a Baptist!"

• Members
2 hours ago, PreacherB said:

This morning a couple JW ladies stopped by our house while my wife was at home.  Of course, they immediately wanted to talk about end times (their "go-to" topic).  My wife asked a question of them, "How would you describe your relationship with God?"  The speaker was flummoxed, and the 2nd lady had a stricken look on her face.  My wife just waited in silence.  After a long, uncomfortable silence, the speaker turned to the 2nd lady and looked at her for help.  The 2nd lady said, "Um, I guess I would say, 'Necessary'?"  The first lady looked back at my wife and simply shrugged, but said nothing.  My wife said, "You, know, I agree that it is necessary to have a relationship with God for the sake of your soul's eternity, but I think I would choose a different word... I think I would say, 'Intimate'."  She then briefly gave her testimony, focusing on the personal relationship she enjoys with God through salvation in Jesus Christ.  She then asked if she could show them from the Bible how they could have a close, personal relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ.  At that point, the 2nd person said, "Well, it's obvious that we are not going to agree on a lot of things, so I think we won't take up any more of your time.  But I do have one question, What church do you go to?"  My wife told her the name of our church, to which the lady said, "I knew you were a Baptist!  The only people who seem to know what they believe and who talk like you do about a relationship with God are Baptists.  But, honestly, most of them aren't as kind as you."

A great response, and a pretty good (and gentle) rebuke.

I know that I have been less than patient at times, and I have spent a lot of time lately thinking of a better way to deal with these people.

I will add this to the pot of ideas that I am gathering.

Thanks.

• Members

I have received the complete opposite response from the Mormons. I was told by a Mormon evangelist that they love Baptists because they are easily swayed since they do not know what they believe and why, which quite honestly is what I have found in North Carolina. People will Amen anything the preacher says, even if it is false teaching.

• Members
2 hours ago, Pastorj said:

I have received the complete opposite response from the Mormons. I was told by a Mormon evangelist that they love Baptists because they are easily swayed since they do not know what they believe and why, which quite honestly is what I have found in North Carolina. People will Amen anything the preacher says, even if it is false teaching.

A Mormon once told me that to be saved one must do this and that, etc, and be baptized. "Be baptized?" I asked "What about the thief on the cross? He didn't have the opportunity to be baptized and Jesus told him 'this day"  you will be "with me in paradise". He had no answer, but then tried to give me a Book of Mormon. Most of the baptists I associate with, I'm sure, could tell him the same.