• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Let's discuss study bibles (and other KJV Bibles)

• Moderators

My preference, and my wife's, (another odd thing we found in common when we met), was the New Open Bible in, of course, KJV. It had an amazing amount of great study items, just chock full of good information. The notes were so-so, and I learned quickly not to take too much stock in them, though some were alright. But things like weights and measures, history, a section on bible-related archaeology, an into to each book on the time, author and themes of each book, as well as what was happening historically at the time of writing, all very interesting and informative. 

Weirdly, it just stopped being printed. You can get the Open Bible, but to find a New Open Bible, which had a lot more in it, it's either going to be used, and very expensive, or new and VERY expensive. Occasionally I find one, but it's rare. Mine got worn out, and honestly I can't afford to have it rebound, so it is in the shelf, lest I lose pages, and I use a simple Church-printed, wide-margin Bible with only text. 

• Administrators
2 hours ago, DaChaser said:

many other Christians would say the same about their personal favorite translation!

Maybe it's regional. I have yet to meet anyone that uses the NIV, ESV, NWT and other versions as a conviction. The words used are "I prefer to use this translation".

• Members

I presently own or have owned Thompson Chain, Scofield, Companion, Common Man's, Ruckman's, New Defenders, Reese Chronological, and was able to borrow for extended periods of time Ryrie, John R. Rice, Rainbow and Open Bible. I never owned a Rock of Ages but I did borrow a New Pilgrim's which I've been told is the same study bible. There's a few others I'd like to check out but my favorite is the Common Man's not so much for the notes but because the bible is loaded with references. I would like to pick up a Dake's Annotated. I know it's charismatic but from what I've briefly seen thumbing through it has some good stuff in it. Also, the Subject Bible looks interesting.

Edited by SureWord

• 4 months later...
  • Members

This is an old thread, but I would like to add to it. 

I now have switched to a Ryrie Study Bible.

I love the layout. The Ryrie has it's cross references in the outer margins rather than a center column and let me tell you it is very nice on the eyes and is very aesthetically pleasing. It also has wider margins and plenty of room for taking notes (Which Mr. Ryrie in the introduction encourages you to do.)

Ryrie's notes are not super in depth but they are often very helpful. I ignore him when he comments about textual issues and criticizes the KJV's readings such as the longer ending of Mark 16 and the comma in 1 John 5:7. 

There are well written outlines for each book and the points and subpoints of the outline are found throughout the text which makes it easier to see and remember the progressions of each book, they also are well alliterated and could be helpful in preaching and teaching outlines. 

Ryrie was evangelical, fundamental, and dispensational in his theology and his study bible has an excellent systematic theology outline. I suspect that the outline is the same outline Ryrie uses in his full length systematic theology, it is really helpful and has some really great thoughts and I am certain I will make use of it in future teaching and preaching. And Ryrie happens to view the requirements for salvation similar to myself (He rejects Lordship Salvation)

Some have aversions to study bible's but I truly am thankful for this gem that I have found and wish I had gotten one sooner. I highly recommend the Ryrie Study Bible for anyone wanting to study the word of God. 

8908x_2_exc_dp.jpg8908x_5_exc.jpg

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

O.K. Here are pics of my older one, Cambridge wide margin, I bought it in Va. Bch. while attending Tabernacle Baptist Church in Va. Bch., Va. in about 1983. I bought my most recent from Local Church Bible Publishers located in Lansing, MI and the inside is a page by page copy of my Cambridge, exception being the inclusion of the translators preface and the dedicatory of the 1611. Otherwise even the page numbers for the books of the Bible are the same and also has wide margin. I prefer a wide margin for notes. I also prefer not to have study or notes of others, just the KJV. I've seen others lean too heavily on the study notes. 

IMG_20210119_175333144.jpg

IMG_20210119_174943480.jpg

IMG_20210119_175310246.jpg

• Members
2 hours ago, 1Timothy115 said:

O.K. Here are pics of my older one, Cambridge wide margin, I bought it in Va. Bch. while attending Tabernacle Baptist Church in Va. Bch., Va. in about 1983. I bought my most recent from Local Church Bible Publishers located in Lansing, MI and the inside is a page by page copy of my Cambridge, exception being the inclusion of the translators preface and the dedicatory of the 1611. Otherwise even the page numbers for the books of the Bible are the same and also has wide margin. I prefer a wide margin for notes. I also prefer not to have study or notes of others, just the KJV. I've seen others lean too heavily on the study notes. 

IMG_20210119_175333144.jpg

IMG_20210119_174943480.jpg

IMG_20210119_175310246.jpg

I also am a fan of wide margins bibles. I write extensively in my Bible with exegetical and theological notations. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
3 minutes ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I also am a fan of wide margins bibles. I wrote extensively in my Bible with exegetical and theological notations. 

I've written extensively in mine too. Sometimes the things the Holy Spirit revealed to me. I woulld like to get my old cambridge rebound some day.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

When I decided to redo https://kjBible.org, I wanted to copy the look and feel of the older (1700s) Bibles. I found scans of the 1769 King James bible online (in DPF format) and downloaded it to use as a guide. I'm only able to work at it occasionally and my regular job permits. Recently, though, I've been working on page layout for my site https://byTheFireplace.com and was able to get it to display the pages like a book (an example can be viewed at https://dev.bythefireplace.com/Fiction/Christian/442-The-Innocence-of-Father-Brown/chapter-1/test/#page-1 ) I'm hoping to be able to use that technique to lay the pages at kjBible.org out just like the pages of a Bible, so that it will format in two columns with the crossreference on the outside of each column, and possible even do it two pages wide while in landscape mode. 

On https://myOpenBible.org I wanted to make the basic traditional, paragraph and reading formats, but eventually (I haven't done it yet) make the style sheets adjustable with examples so people could design their own Bible layout with their own fonts, colors, and hide or include the extras (outline, crossreference, etc.)