• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Let's discuss study bibles (and other KJV Bibles)

• Members

So I am somewhat of a Bible collector and fanatic, I love all the different cover materials and leathers, all the different formats such as font sizes, wide margin, study materials, etc and I have amassed a wealth of knowledge relating to Bibles from all different publishers and styles. So let's talk about Bibles! 

I have had many study bibles over the years and I wanted to discuss some of them, what is your favorite? what do you like to use and why? 

Right now I am using a thumb indexed Holman wide margin minister's Bible that I had rebound in a saddle tan goatskin (I had all of the "minister helps" removed :) , it has 11 point font and it is really an awesome size because the paper is really thin. I would post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing it. 

I love writing and taking notes in my bibles! 

I have been looking at using one of Nelson's King James Study Bible, which use to be called the Liberty Annotated study bible, they just published a full color edition in really nice cowhide, I skimmed and looked at one of the older editions and I was actually impressed with the study notes that it had and actually found them helpful. From what I can tell the notes are from a pre trib, dispensational, conservative, fundamentalist perspective. 

One other bible I use to own was a KJV Key Word Study Bible, it had a lot of the words in the text coded to strong's numbering system, and the back of it contained an expanded Hebrew and Greek dictionary that matched Strongs Numbering system, the NT also had a lot of coding in the text indicating Greek grammatical structures. The bible also has some comments in it from a dispensational viewpoint, but some of the notes are critical of the KJV translation. I would however recommend this bible to people for serious study.

I owned a Thompson Chain, and I have mixed feelings about it, I like how much it helps with topical study, but I found myself constantly wanting to stray away from whatever passage I was reading at the time and I felt like it was almost distracting to me. I also would recommend the Thompson to people for serious study.

I have never been all that impressed with the Scofield bible, I just never was impressed with the study notes, I did remember liking that it has some markings for the year on the top of each page in the margins. Of course the Scofield bible teaches the Gap theory and other things. Plus I hate the font style of the Scofield bible, way to bold and awkward an old fashioned looking for my tastes. Personally I would not recommend the Scofield bible because I think there are better bibles out there.

I use to own a Rock of Ages Bible published by the Rock of Ages prison ministry, but again I was not very impressed with the study notes, so I probably would not recommend it for the same reason as the Scofield.

I use to own a Defined King James Bible as well, this bible has all of the uncommon, archaic, and rare english words defined in footnotes at the bottom of the text, I did not use this bible much when I had it, even though in my early years I really probably should have. This is a great bible if you have problems understanding a lot of the words in the KJV, I don't use it because I tend to do more looking at Hebrew and Greek lexicons and stuff like that, but this is a great bible for your average church member and is a GREAT gift for new believers, and for younger folks also. 

I have also had a Ryrie Study bible, but I was seriously not impressed with the study notes, they were accurate and made sense, but they just felt so basic that for me they seemed useless in a sense. so I would not recommend the Ryrie study bible.

I have not owned the following bibles, but have looked into them

the Common Man's reference bible, I highly do not recommend this bible, this bible uses some really fault and bad logic to defend the KJV, and the notes have a horrible spirit about them coming across as very critical, I think it is very likely that this bible was put together by a Ruckmanite.

KJV Holman Study Bible, Holman is a Southern Baptist publishing house, this bible is decent from what I have seen of it, but I don't think they take a very strong position on certain doctrines, they prefer to lay out the different thoughts and ideas about controversial topics. The notes probably are decent and evangelical. 

KJV Henry Morris Study bible, This bible has tons of creationist notes in it, I have not looked into this bible a lot, but it would probably be good for someone who is wanting to build their confidence and trust in the bible or if you are interested in apologetics.

Matthew Henry Study Bible, Matthew Henry was a Presbyterian minister famous for his commentary on the bible, someone took a bunch of quotes from him and added them to to the bible to create this study bible, Matthew Henry's commentaries are superb and have a distinct devotional feel to them, he really had a way of drawing out spiritual principles from the bible and he was very spiritually minded. I use to not like him because he was Presbyterian but I have grown to love him the more I consult his commentaries.

A.W. Tozer Study bible, Tozer was a minister with the Christian and Missionary Alliance, and like Matthew Henry someone took a bunch of quotes by him and put them into a bible, he was also very devotional in his writings. I don't remember much of the content of this study bible but I owned it for a short time.

So.. what study bibles have you had/owned? What Bible do you use and why? (Not talking about translation) 

What do you recommend and why? Let's talk about Bibles ? 

Also if you have any questions about a particular bible with particular features ask me, if one exists I will know about it and I love passing my knowledge on to others ? 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Even though I have some study Bibles, including the KJV Henry Morris Study Bible and the Matthew Henry Study Bible, I'm not a big fan of "study" Bibles.   I prefer to a simple KJV Bible and to get on line to look things up to study the Bible.

• Members

I actually have been using the King James Study bible in full color from Nelson; previously it was called the Liberty Annotated Study Bible. I really love it and of all the Study bibles I have used I have found it most helpful. The center column margins have a lot of alternative translations of words/definitions of words/literal translations/etc and I have found them extremely helpful, the notes are also pretty fundamental and helpful, not that I agree with everything they say..but the KJV study bible from Nelson is a whole lot better than say a Scofield or Ryrie in my opinion. I know some people don’t like study bibles and that’s ok, just realize it’s not a whole different than hearing your Pastor teach on a specific verse, I understand that the word of God is the final authority, but let’s face it, we don’t understand bible culture as well as others and we can benefit greatly from men of God who have gone before us and spend years studying, we don’t need to reinvent the wheel.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have been reading this Bible (KJ Study Bible) on my Kindle. It works quite well for my morning reading. The notes are there if I want them (as popups). The doctrinal notes are sound and not intrusive. I have a preference for reading electronic Bibles as I can adjust the font size. I do like Bible marking and use wide margin plain Bibles for that. We are blessed to live in a time with so many options -- KJV that is.  I may go for a Holman wide margin. I have not actually seen one of these, but the description sounds like something I would use.

• Members

I have many different study bibles that I've used over the years.  My two favorites are the A.W. Tozer (KJV) bible because I love the way he put things, and my daily and church bible... my Ryrie (KJV) bible.  I do have a Reese (KJV) chronological study bible that is alright.  I also use a Scofield (KJV) study bible from time to time.  But I have to admit...my go to study tool is a program you can download to your pc called E-Sword.  It has so many different tools inside the program (for free) such as concordances, dictionaries, commentaries, etc, etc. 

• Members

I stick with just the Words of the Lord between the leather.  Commentaries and such are helpful and appreciated but I do not want to begin confusing the Word of God with the words of man between the pages of my bible.  This happened to me as a babe in Christ with my first bible.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
  • 2 months later...
  • Members
7 hours ago, (Omega) said:

I still use my KJV Bible that I've received over 20 years ago and it's still in almost mint condition. The amazing pliability and durability of it is beyond any other bible that I've seen and felt.

KJVBibleDan.jpg

You haven’t had that rebound? Im astonished a cover could look like that after 20 years...

or do you not actually read read your Bible ?

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members

Lol, Jordan! I am astounded myself to tell you the truth. I have read that Bible countless times and for some reason it remains in the same condition. I guess I'm just extremely gentle when handling the word of God (literally and figuratively).

• Members
14 hours ago, (Omega) said:

Lol, Jordan! I am astounded myself to tell you the truth. I have read that Bible countless times and for some reason it remains in the same condition. I guess I'm just extremely gentle when handling the word of God (literally and figuratively).

Do you not take it anywhere? I could see a bible like that lasting if it’s only used at home. I will use one bible for everything from preaching, teaching, door to door, church, at home studying, etc. so my bible accumulates wear. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
9 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

Do you not take it anywhere? I could see a bible like that lasting if it’s only used at home. I will use one bible for everything from preaching, teaching, door to door, church, at home studying, etc. so my bible accumulates wear. 

I have several KJV bibles and do not always take that particular bible to church. There are two bibles that I would often use for in-depth study, and the bible displayed in my post is normally used in group bible studies. As I said before . . . I am just an extremely gentle person when it comes to handling things . . . maybe it's an obsession that I have in keeping things perserved as best as possible. You can come into my home now, and return a month later, and it will seem almost indentical as it were last month. That's just me! In addition to that: this bible is by far the most durable bible I have seen and handled yet. 

God Bless!

• 1 year later...
  • Members
On 5/17/2018 at 5:13 PM, Jordan Kurecki said:

So I am somewhat of a Bible collector and fanatic, I love all the different cover materials and leathers, all the different formats such as font sizes, wide margin, study materials, etc and I have amassed a wealth of knowledge relating to Bibles from all different publishers and styles. So let's talk about Bibles! 

I have had many study bibles over the years and I wanted to discuss some of them, what is your favorite? what do you like to use and why? 

Right now I am using a thumb indexed Holman wide margin minister's Bible that I had rebound in a saddle tan goatskin (I had all of the "minister helps" removed ?, it has 11 point font and it is really an awesome size because the paper is really thin. I would post pictures if anyone is interested in seeing it. 

I love writing and taking notes in my bibles! 

I have been looking at using one of Nelson's King James Study Bible, which use to be called the Liberty Annotated study bible, they just published a full color edition in really nice cowhide, I skimmed and looked at one of the older editions and I was actually impressed with the study notes that it had and actually found them helpful. From what I can tell the notes are from a pre trib, dispensational, conservative, fundamentalist perspective. 

One other bible I use to own was a KJV Key Word Study Bible, it had a lot of the words in the text coded to strong's numbering system, and the back of it contained an expanded Hebrew and Greek dictionary that matched Strongs Numbering system, the NT also had a lot of coding in the text indicating Greek grammatical structures. The bible also has some comments in it from a dispensational viewpoint, but some of the notes are critical of the KJV translation. I would however recommend this bible to people for serious study.

I owned a Thompson Chain, and I have mixed feelings about it, I like how much it helps with topical study, but I found myself constantly wanting to stray away from whatever passage I was reading at the time and I felt like it was almost distracting to me. I also would recommend the Thompson to people for serious study.

I have never been all that impressed with the Scofield bible, I just never was impressed with the study notes, I did remember liking that it has some markings for the year on the top of each page in the margins. Of course the Scofield bible teaches the Gap theory and other things. Plus I hate the font style of the Scofield bible, way to bold and awkward an old fashioned looking for my tastes. Personally I would not recommend the Scofield bible because I think there are better bibles out there.

I use to own a Rock of Ages Bible published by the Rock of Ages prison ministry, but again I was not very impressed with the study notes, so I probably would not recommend it for the same reason as the Scofield.

I use to own a Defined King James Bible as well, this bible has all of the uncommon, archaic, and rare english words defined in footnotes at the bottom of the text, I did not use this bible much when I had it, even though in my early years I really probably should have. This is a great bible if you have problems understanding a lot of the words in the KJV, I don't use it because I tend to do more looking at Hebrew and Greek lexicons and stuff like that, but this is a great bible for your average church member and is a GREAT gift for new believers, and for younger folks also. 

I have also had a Ryrie Study bible, but I was seriously not impressed with the study notes, they were accurate and made sense, but they just felt so basic that for me they seemed useless in a sense. so I would not recommend the Ryrie study bible.

I have not owned the following bibles, but have looked into them

the Common Man's reference bible, I highly do not recommend this bible, this bible uses some really fault and bad logic to defend the KJV, and the notes have a horrible spirit about them coming across as very critical, I think it is very likely that this bible was put together by a Ruckmanite.

KJV Holman Study Bible, Holman is a Southern Baptist publishing house, this bible is decent from what I have seen of it, but I don't think they take a very strong position on certain doctrines, they prefer to lay out the different thoughts and ideas about controversial topics. The notes probably are decent and evangelical. 

KJV Henry Morris Study bible, This bible has tons of creationist notes in it, I have not looked into this bible a lot, but it would probably be good for someone who is wanting to build their confidence and trust in the bible or if you are interested in apologetics.

Matthew Henry Study Bible, Matthew Henry was a Presbyterian minister famous for his commentary on the bible, someone took a bunch of quotes from him and added them to to the bible to create this study bible, Matthew Henry's commentaries are superb and have a distinct devotional feel to them, he really had a way of drawing out spiritual principles from the bible and he was very spiritually minded. I use to not like him because he was Presbyterian but I have grown to love him the more I consult his commentaries.

A.W. Tozer Study bible, Tozer was a minister with the Christian and Missionary Alliance, and like Matthew Henry someone took a bunch of quotes by him and put them into a bible, he was also very devotional in his writings. I don't remember much of the content of this study bible but I owned it for a short time.

So.. what study bibles have you had/owned? What Bible do you use and why? (Not talking about translation) 

What do you recommend and why? Let's talk about Bibles ? 

Also if you have any questions about a particular bible with particular features ask me, if one exists I will know about it and I love passing my knowledge on to others ? 

Church Publishers out of lansing Mi does excellent work if you prefer the Kjv!