• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

You Better Hope Your Surgeon is not a Modern Versionist.

• Members
You Better Hope Your Surgeon is Not a Modern Versionist -

LOINS

Loins is not an archaic word. In fact the NKJV, NASB, ESV and NIV all use the word loins, which means the upper and lower abdominal area and the region about the hips.

It is a much broader area than just “the waist”.

The word LOINS is found in the King James Bible some 61 times. In the Old Testament 53 times and 8 times in the New Testament -

Matthew 3:4; Mark 1:6 “with a girdle of skin about his loins”; Luke 12:35 “Let your loins be girded about”; Acts 2:30 “of the fruit of his loins”; Ephesians 6:14 “having your loins girded about with truth”; Hebrews 7:5, 10 - “out of the loins of Abraham (of his father)” and in 1 Peter 1:13 “Gird up the loins of your mind, be sober”

The NASB uses the word “loins” 45 times with only two of them in the N.T. in Ephesians 6:14 and Hebrews 7:10.

However in the ESV this number is down to 14 times with only one N.T. reference in Hebrews 7:10 -“he was still in the loins of his ancestor when Melchizedek met him.”

In the NKJV this number is down to only 13 times, with 8 in the O.T. and 3 in the New Testament - Hebrews 7:5 and 10 and 1 Peter 1:13.

And in the NIV this number is reduced to a mere total of 6 times, with none appearing in the New Testament.

The NKJV correctly translates the word "loins" in 15 passages, but in many others it changes the meaning of the word into something very different.

The NKJV reads "loins" in the following passages: Deuteronomy 33:11 "smite through the loins of them that rise against him"

1 Kings 8:19; 2 Chron. 6:9 "thy son that shall come forth out of thy loins";

1 Kings 18:46 "he girded up his loins and ran";

Psalm 38:7 "for my loins are filled with a loathsome disease";

Psalm 69:23 "make their loins shake continually";

Isaiah 5:27 “neither shall the girdle of their loins be loosed”

Isaiah 11:5 “righteousness shall be the girdle of his loins”

Isaiah 21:3 "my loins are filled with pain";

Jeremiah 30:6 "every man with his hands on his loins";

Jeremiah 48:37 “and upon the loins sackcloth”

Ezekiel 29:7 “and modest all their loins to be at a stand”

Hebrews 7:5 "though they come out of the loins of Abraham";

Hebrews 7:10 “(Levi) for he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchisedek met him”

and 1 Peter 1:13 "wherefore gird up the loins of your mind".

The NKJV correctly contains the phrase "gird up your loins" in 1 Kings 8:19 and 1 Peter 1:13, but in 2 Kings 4:29 where Elisha says to Gehazi "gird up thy loins, and take my staff in thy hand", the NKJV now switches over to "GET YOURSELF READY and take my staff."

It also does the same thing in 2 Kings 9:1, Job 38:3; 40:7; and Jeremiah 1:17.

Ezekiel 21:6 - 7 "Sigh therefore, thou son of man, with breaking of thy LOINS; and with bitterness sigh before their eyes...every HEART shall melt, and all hands shall be feeble..."

The Hebrew word is clearly and indisputably "loins" in 21:6 and a very different word is translated as "heart" in 21:7. "with breaking of thy LOINS" is the reading found in the Bishop's bible 1568, Coverdale 1535, the Revised Version 1881, ASV 1901, Young's, Darby, Douay, Green's "literal" 2000, Rotherham's Emphasized bible 1902, the Hebrew Names Bible, the Jewish Publication Society version 1917, the Judaica Press Tanach 2005, the KJV 21st century 1994, the Spanish Reina Valera 1960 "los lomos", the 1991 Italian Diodati "lombi", Luther's German bible 1545 "Linden", and the Portuguese Almeida "lombos".

However, beginning with the liberal RSV and continuing now with the NRSV, ESV, NKJV, NIV, NASB and Wallace's NET version, we read of the "aching HEART" or the "breaking HEART" instead of the "loins", but they DO translate the word for "heart" as "heart" in verse 21:7.

Even Wallace's NET version and the NASB then tell us in their footnotes that the literal Hebrew is "breaking of LOINS".

Another time the NKJV unbelievably joins the NIV and wrongly translates "loins" as "armor".

In Isaiah 45:1 the KJB, as well as the NASB, RV, ASV and even the RSV all say: "I will loose the LOINS of kings, to open before him the two leaved gates", but the NKJV and NIV say: "I will loose the ARMOR of kings..."

The ESV has “to loose THE BELTS of kings”, while the Holman Standard says “TO DISARM kings” and then footnotes that literally it is “unloosen the loins”.

Exodus 1:5 "And all the SOULS that CAME OUT OF THE LOINS of Jacob were seventy SOULS." This is also the reading of the Revised Version, the American Standard Version, and the NASB.

However the NKJV and ESV both say: "All THOSE WHO WERE DESCENDANTS of Jacob were seventy PERSONS."

Footnote in NKJV - Literally "who came from the loins of".

The NKJV and ESV omit "souls" and unnecessarily changes the literal meaning of the Hebrew.

2 Chronicles 10:10 KJB - "My little finger shall be thicker than my father's LOINS." Loins is the reading of Coverdale, the Great Bible, Matthew's Bible, the Bishops' Bible, the Geneva Bible, Darby, Youngs, the NASB, RV, and ASV, RSV, and NRSV here. The ESV has “my father’s THIGHS”. Dan Wallace's NET version completely paraphrases this as "I am a lot harsher than my father."

But the NKJV has again joined the NIV and translated this word here as "my father's WAIST" as it also does in Genesis 37:34; Exodus 12:11; 28:42; 1 Kings 2:5; 1 Kings 12:10; 1 Kings 20:31, 32; 2 Kings 1:8; Job 12:18; Isaiah 32:11; Jeremiah 13:1, 2, 4, 11; Ezekiel 1:27; 8:2; 23:15; 47:4; Daniel 10:5; and Amos 8:10.

In other places where the KJB correctly has loins, the NKJV changes this to HIPS - 2 Samuel 20:8; Nehemiah 4:18; Job 40:16; Daniel 5:6; BODY - Genesis 35:11; 46:26; Isaiah 20:2; BACKS - Psalms 66:11; HERSELF - Proverbs 31:17; YOURSELF - Jeremiah 1:17; HEART - Ezekiel 21:6; Job 31:20; BODIES - Ezekiel 44:18, and FLANKS - Nahum 2:10.

So much for the accuracy of the NKJV and the false claim that they are just updating the "archaic" language.

In the New Testament the word loins (osphus) occurs 8 times. The NKJV has correctly translated this word as loins only 3 of the 8 times it occurs. They correctly have loins in Hebrews 7:5,10 and 1 Peter 1:13.

However, in both Matthew 3:4 and Mark 1:6 where John the Baptist is described as having a leathern girdle about his loins, the NKJV says he had a leather belt around his WAIST.

In Luke 12:35 where the Lord tells us: "Let your loins be girded about", the NKJV changes this to "waist". The same thing occurs in Ephesians 6:14 "having your loins girt about with truth" becomes " having girded your WAIST with truth" in the NKJV.

In Acts 2:30 we are told of David: "knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of THE FRUIT OF HIS LOINS, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne", but the NKJV changes this to "of the fruit of his BODY".

There is a different Greek word used for "body" (soma) but this is not it. The Greek here is all texts is "of the fruit of his loins" (ek karpou tees osphuos autou) and so read the KJB, RV, ASV, Lamsa, Darby, Douay, Third Millennium Bible, Green's literal translation, Young's, Tyndale and Geneva Bibles.

However the NASB and NIV join the RSV, ESV, and ISV (International Standard Version) in completely paraphrasing this as "ONE OF HIS DESCENDANTS".

1 Peter 1:13 KJB - “Wherefore GIRD UP THE LOINS OF YOUR MIND, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ” - (τας οσφυας της διανοιας υμων)

So read Tyndale, Coverdale, The Great Bible, Matthew’s Bible, the Bishops’ bible, the Geneva bible, the Revised Version 1881, ASV 1901, Darby 1890, Young’s 1898, the NKJV 1982 and the New Matthew Bible 2016.

But many modern versions completely paraphrase this and do not give us a literal translation of what God inspired.

The NASB says “PREPARE YOUR MINDS FOR ACTION” but then footnotes that it Literally says “gird the loins of your mind”. The ESV is similar to the NASB with: “PREPARING YOUR MINDS FOR ACTION”.

The NIV even omits the verb and says: “WITH MINDS THAT ARE ALERT” and so does the Holman Standard with: “WITH YOUR MINDS READY FOR ACTION”

Let's hope your surgeon knows the difference between these two very different parts of the human body, even though some modern versionists do not.

To see the whole article - Better Hope Your Surgeon is Not a Modern Versionist" with MANY body parts examples like this where the modern versions are wild paraphrases go here -

http://brandplucked.webs.com/surgeonmodernversion.htm

• Members

Good study on the word, "loins" in the KJV and the incorrect actions of the translators in deleting the word "loins" in the newer versions.

The King James translators were correct in the usage of the word "loins" and the word "loins" is not an archaic word, neither should the word "loins" be changed.

If a person has a problem with the word "loins" and any other "archaic" word in the King James then he just needs to look at the context of the word in question or just get a decent dictionary.

Also, Dr. Paul Heaton, pastor of the Bible Baptist Church in Lupton, Michigan, has written an excellent pamphlet called, "Are the Words In the King James Bible Archaic and / or Obsolete." Dr. Heaton goes into great detail concerning the incorrect usage of the word "archaic" and words of the King James Bible. I would suggest every saint to get a copy of the pamphlet, "Are the Words In the King James Bible Archaic and /or Obsolete," by Dr. Heaton.http://bbc.m33access.com/index.html

May 18, 2018 Update.

Different website to obtain a copy of the pamphlet, "Are the Words In the King James Bible Archaic and / or Obsolete," by Dr. Heaton : http://store.kjv1611.org/brands/Paul-Heaton.html

Edited by Alan
added the May 18, 2018 Update

• Members
53 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Alan,  I am not seeing the subject you mentioned in the link you gave. Perhaps I am just missing it somehow? Can you give a direct link to the actual article?

I updated the post to include a link to the Bible Baptist Bookstore that sells the pamphlet. I will also include the new link onto this post: http://store.kjv1611.org/brands/Paul-Heaton.html

• Members

I just found a website that printed, with permission from Dr. Heaton, the first edition of the book, "Are the Words In the King James Bible Archaic and / or Obsolete."

The first edition only has three chapters. In the second edition (the one that I am referring too), has five chapters with more pertinent information concerning words that have changed their meaning, rare words, and other information.

Here is the link to a printed copy of the first edition:https://www.biblebelievers.com/Heaton1.html