• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Addition to the rules and regs?

• Members

Well, this is probably somewhat of a side note here.

I enjoy teaching God's Holy Word.  I believe that the Lord our God has built me to be a teacher by nature (maybe I am wrong on that, and others could reveal my error).  Indeed, I enjoy (as much as time will permit) answering Biblical questions and explaining (sometimes with extensive detail, as many of you would know) Biblical truths.  As such, I guess that I might be classified as a "teacher" on Online Baptist.  Therefore, I publicly declare without hesitation --

Pastor Scott Markle
Melvin Baptist Church
7971 Washington St.
Melvin, MI 48454
(810) 378-5323
www.melvinbaptistchurch.com
author of various books
Self-publishing company - Shepherding the Flock Ministries
www.shepherdingtheflock.com
Independent Fundamental Baptist (although I may not always follow in line with the position of the Fundamentalist "movement" on some things)
Independent by conviction
Fundamental by conviction
Baptist by conviction
Holding to the King James translation, as one who is Massoretic Text and Received Text by conviction

If there is anything else that would need to be known, please ask. 

• Moderators

I’m going to make one comment about the whole “make your home church known” thing. (this is my personal opinion) Personal security on the web is a hugely important thing.  People are welcome to share details if they want, and it would be nice to know the generic denomination they attend, but I don’t believe we should be requiring personally identifying information that could help track someone down. There are many people who would be unable or unwilling to join a forum requiring  such information.  They could be hiding from abusive family members, or be hosting foster children, or simply be concerned about their privacy.

• Members

I enjoy teaching.

I don't feel like I should do much of it on line. 

That's me.

I have a real issue with "Internet theologians".

I have no problem at all with Pastors / evangelists etc from real churches who also have certain on line presence.

And Salyan - exactly why I suggested an option of private info to the mods, rather than public. Just so long as someone can check them out - but that means more work for you!!!!

• Members
33 minutes ago, Salyan said:

I’m going to make one comment about the whole “make your home church known” thing. (this is my personal opinion) Personal security on the web is a hugely important thing.  People are welcome to share details if they want, and it would be nice to know the generic denomination they attend, but I don’t believe we should be requiring personally identifying information that could help track someone down. There are many people who would be unable or unwilling to join a forum requiring  such information.  They could be hiding from abusive family members, or be hosting foster children, or simply be concerned about their privacy.

Sister Salyan,

I have no dispute with these concerns at all.  Above I shared my own information by my own free choice, to some extent since all of the information is already online through my two public websites.  

29 minutes ago, DaveW said:

I enjoy teaching.

I don't feel like I should do much of it on line. 

That's me.

I have a real issue with "Internet theologians".

I have no problem at all with Pastors / evangelists etc from real churches who also have certain on line presence.

Brother Dave,

I certainly understand that position as well.  In my case, I pray that I do not come across as an "internet theologian," but as a conscientious Bible student and teacher.  It is ever my desire, not to show off, but to spiritually edify.

• Members

I understand the concerns of an individual making known in a public forum their background.

Throughout my tenure here on OnLineBaptist, as a teacher, if memory serves me well, I have answered any honest question, either public or in private, to individuals who have asked. Other honest teachers here on OnLineBaptist has done the same.

But, one of the reasons why the last two false teachers, and a host of others that have come on OnLineBaptist in years past, have gotten away with their deceit is due to the fact that they can remain anomalous, and their religious background can remain unknown, to the individuals on the forum. 

I for one, am tired of verbally fighting with these false teachers who knowingly are trying to teach false doctrines on OnLineBaptist. 

These false teachers are using the advantage of anonymity to promote their own false teaching agendas. I would like the anonymity not, repeat, not, to be a factor in dealing with these individuals.

Again, I do not want to cause any ill feeling with any moderator. But, if the moderators only know what the background of these individuals, and not the members, then the members are still in the dark; and every false teacher will know this fact and will take advantage of the members being in the dark.

Edited by Alan
revised the first sentence

• Members

When I point-blank asked Zuso-Soy (sorry...can't remember his name) to provide links or information, I realized he could link to any church anywhere or provide any information from anywhere. 

I think the best answer is as Sis. Rebecca stated...require new members to post a certain number of posts first before giving us the full throttle of their heresy. I've personally seen this dissuade many "posters" on other forums. They give up after not being able to post their junk...but whether this forum software has that option, I don't know.

By the way...I saw an angel yesterday after eating 8 day old unrefrigerated collard greens, and she told me that "Jesus" would return at 7:47 pm on September 21, 2022...think I'll share that with others.

• Members

To my knowledge, during the course of this matter of this thread, after a brief search of the different forums, I have seen recent posts of the individual who gave dates for the events in the Book of Revelation, the two individuals who gave me a lot of grief, in my Revelation Chapter 19-22 Study, and one of the other individuals that gave me  grief in the, "There are Still good Men in the IFB Churches," (this is the "Internet Theologian," study I tried to teach in), still posting  in the other forums. I think most folks know who I am referring too and out of politeness I am not mentioning their names nor forums that they are posting in. 

Unless the false teachers are banned, most, not all, will still post their false teachings. Even after the required number of posts on the other forums the individual who caused  grief they are still posting their false teaching. Requiring individuals to post a set number of postings before they can teach is commendable and I support it; but, we need to still have them declare their religious background, answer honest questions, and require that any non-IFB individual be not allowed to teach any subject relating to the scriptures. If they want to teach us how to operate a chain saw, fix a car, canning techniques, etc... that is no problem.

Yes, I know that they can give us false church website information in order to try and deceive us.

Yes, I know they can say they are IFB in order to try and deceive us.

But, all of my reasonings that I posted beforehand in this thread are the best we can do under the circumstances. The only difference that I can offer at this point in the discussion is possibly have the teacher, in their Profile Page here on OnLineBaptist, have a written doctrinal statement and denominational affiliation. A doctrinal statement that is specific, clear, no ambiguity, and no generalizing.

The required number of postings before an individual can teach is ok when they are listed as IFB and will give the members, not just the moderators, a doctrinal statement. The doctrinal statement can be in the form of a website or it can be listed in their personal information in their profile page on OnLineBaptist. Quite frankly, the scriptures are the foundation of our faith and the individual that teaches any subject of the scriptures should be held to the highest standard possible: whether in the church or on the Internet forum.

Edited by Alan
added a phrase on the Profile Page statement & Preterist& deleted my personal feelings

• Members

Surely though, if the individual had a reason for not being public, we can trust the mods to check and approve. 

I agree that teachers should be IFB, but if that is in the rules it makes it easier for the mods to police.

And the whole point of this discussion is to give the mods more tools to control the bad guys.

We don't want to stop people from coming here altogether, just to stop the false teachers from teaching.

Yes, they should be forthcoming with information.  Yes, they should answer any reasonable questions.

But our mods are a trustworthy bunch, and it is their job.

I personally think that it should be an OPTION, at the discretion of the mods, for an IFB teacher to provide that information to our mod group, and for the Mods to let the general board know that the information checks out, but it has been requested as private.

As I said previously, I have not provided a church website publicly. This was primarily because there were a few members here (now banned) who I had serious concerns about personal attacks outside OLB. I can understand people being cautious with personal info. But some of the mods and some members here have my personal details.

To me, this should be a requirement of anyone who wants to teach here.

But as I am not taking on a large amount of teaching here, I would not be subject anyway.

My take on it:

Request for proof of IFB background and church affilliation supplied publicly, with an option for that info supplied to the mods and noted publicly by the mods that it has been satisfactorily supplied, and then that person is permitted to "teach".

This can of course be revoked if it turns out that the guy is a nutter.

I really like the idea of requiring a personal statement of faith on their profile. Not for general posters but for anyone presuming to teach here.To me this should be the minimum requirement, for if they then go against their own statement it is immediately obvious of their character, and the mods can ban for deliberate deceit.

A personal statement of faith for teachers does not have to provide sensitive public info, but lays out a doctrinal position and gives a source for accountability. 

• Members
1 hour ago, DaveW said:

I really like the idea of requiring a personal statement of faith on their profile. Not for general posters but for anyone presuming to teach here.To me this should be the minimum requirement, for if they then go against their own statement it is immediately obvious of their character, and the mods can ban for deliberate deceit.

A personal statement of faith for teachers does not have to provide sensitive public info, but lays out a doctrinal position and gives a source for accountability. 

I really would like to have this incorporated into requirements for a teacher (among the other items that I listed).