• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

mental health and other things

• Members

Please pray for me. I've had depression issues for many years, usually well controlled with medication. Unfortunately, I lost my health insurance last summer and along with that, access to doctors and medication. The walls are starting to really close in again and I feel that my entire existence is useless and a burden to my husband, who has to support me because I don't have a job. I also was in a car accident about a year ago and the daily pain from it isn't helping any. There are so many things I can't do as a result of my accident and it's not helping me feel any better about anything. 

***Please don't tell me that medication is baloney. You don't know what I've dealt with and how much strength it took to get through it all. I have a brain/biochemical problem, not a spiritual problem.

• Members

No, the medication is not baloney.

For some people it is needed. Some doctors use it as an easy fix instead of doing their job properly, but for some it is helpful.

Unfortunately for you, it seems it is not an option any longer. 

I can only suggest you study the Bible and in particular those verses which relate to bringing thoughts into captivity.

It will be hard, but the Bible truly does have the answers.

I will pray.

• Members

I'm not sure about your medical situation but I know how taxing they can be. Just remember, even with the complicated situations, there are people who care and you are not alone. There are people willing to help and there are programs and alternative ways to get the medical help you need. Even in this forum, what little advice we can give online, we can try to help you work through your situation and options if you need it. God bless!

• Members

Thank you all! I found a clinic that does sliding scale fees. They're still a little steep but my husband hasn't raised a fuss at all. I got my meds today and a referral to a Christian therapist who charges very little for referrals from this clinic. 

I'm looking forward to feeling more like me again. Please keep me in your prayers. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. 

• Members

That's  good news.

Can I encourage you to ask that therapist about strategies to reduce and eventually stop the medication. Under controlled method of course and with supervision.

But that would be the best solution.

• Members
11 hours ago, DaveW said:

That's  good news.

Can I encourage you to ask that therapist about strategies to reduce and eventually stop the medication. Under controlled method of course and with supervision.

But that would be the best solution.

I will probably need medication for a lifetime. Part of what's going on is a biochemical issue. Its funny that people think that psychiatric medications are just until you can "cope" but they'd never ask a diabetic to stop insulin. I've tried stopping medication and well...it got me looking for a semi to walk in front of. 

• Members
5 hours ago, Saved41199 said:

I will probably need medication for a lifetime. Part of what's going on is a biochemical issue. Its funny that people think that psychiatric medications are just until you can "cope" but they'd never ask a diabetic to stop insulin. I've tried stopping medication and well...it got me looking for a semi to walk in front of. 

how do you KNOW it's a bio chemical issue? As far as I can tell, there are zero tests that can be done to prove depression is part of a biochemical issue. What tests are there that actually measure your brain chemistry? I'm open to being shown wrong. but I have hard time understanding this, I was depressed many times before salvation and have been many times after salvation, but the fact of the matter is our attitude is our choice, yes we may face certain circumstances, and trials, but the fact of the matter is we can always rejoice, in fact we are commanded to rejoice, and God does not command us to do that which we are not able to do. 

I am very skeptical about this. I would be curious about your history of getting on psychotropic drugs, what was the reason for getting on them in the first place? What kind of effects do they do? how do we justify the use of psychotropic drugs for depression? what about people who smoke pot for depression? or take cocaine? etc? where is the line for these things?

Is depression really a physical condition? What other things can we blame on physical brain chemistry? how about anger? How about worry? What about lust? 

You claim it's not a spiritual problem? what proof do you have that it's not? again I ask what test is there that actually measures and shows that depression is a result of your brain chemistry? and then does that really justify taking psychotropic drugs?

Just honest questions, I am very skeptical about people who claim their physiology for psychological problems. Especially considering where the word Psychology comes from. Psuche is Greek for soul. But maybe I am just ignorant. 

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
2 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

how do you KNOW it's a bio chemical issue? As far as I can tell, there are zero tests that can be done to prove depression is part of a biochemical issue. What tests are there that actually measure your brain chemistry? I'm open to being shown wrong. but I have hard time understanding this, I was depressed many times before salvation and have been many times after salvation, but the fact of the matter is our attitude is our choice, yes we may face certain circumstances, and trials, but the fact of the matter is we can always rejoice, in fact we are commanded to rejoice, and God does not command us to do that which we are not able to do. 

How do I know? Certain brain chemicals are used when one is coping with certain situations and there can come a time when the body's ability to secrete these chemicals falls long behind the brain's need for them. Use of fMRI (functional MRI with certain radionucleotide tagging) shows what parts of the brain are deficient in certain neurotransmitters. Now, in the last 10 years I have been through the following:

#1 son - 2 tours in Iraq

my husband becoming very ill 

my mother's strokes and death

my husband's extensive and life altering surgery

Job changes

having custody of my grandchildren 

losing my job and becoming homeless (living in a SUV with 2 cats is NOT fun)

I am very skeptical about this. I would be curious about your history of getting on psychotropic drugs, what was the reason for getting on them in the first place? What kind of effects do they do? how do we justify the use of psychotropic drugs for depression? what about people who smoke pot for depression? or take cocaine? etc? where is the line for these things?

You can be as skeptical as you want, that's fine, you're not living in my skull. Why did I start on them? Something about actively looking for a semi to run in front of, thinking about running my car off overpasses, you know, little things like that. How do we "justify" the use of psychotropic drugs...would you rather I became completely non-functional and end up completing a suicide attempt? I DO NOT advocate the use of semi-legal and illegal drugs. The medications I take are prescribed by a psychiatrist and I am followed by the psychiatrist and therapist. This isn't something you just jump into. I'll forgive your ignorance and/or narrow-mindedness regarding real physical/biochemical issues that manifest as mental health issues. 

You claim it's not a spiritual problem? what proof do you have that it's not? again I ask what test is there that actually measures and shows that depression is a result of your brain chemistry? and then does that really justify taking psychotropic drugs?

What Proof? Really? fMRI studies have been done for years regarding the use of anti-depressants, particularly SSRIs in the treatment of long-term chronic and major depression. I'm not stupid, nor am I ignorant, nor am I looking for a "quick fix". I have a PHYSICAL problem that manifests as mental illness. It is comorbid with my other neurological issues, ones that I was born with that you probably don't "believe" in either. That's fine, you don't live in my skull. 

Just honest questions, I am very skeptical about people who claim their physiology for psychological problems. Especially considering where the word Psychology comes from. Psuche is Greek for soul. But maybe I am just ignorant. 

Without appropriate medication and treatment, I would be dead. I have 4 separate diagnoses...2 I was born with and 2 that developed later (trying to be "normal" and certain life events that knocked me down further than I ever thought I'd be). Now, by the Grace of my Lord I have made it this far. Did you ever think that the researchers that developed these medications were guided by the Lord, to bring relief of suffering? Or are you just of the opinion that I can't possibly be saved and/or faithful to my Lord because I take certain medications? 

Now, this is the one and only time I will answer these questions. If you have anything negative to say, please keep it to yourself. Thank You. 

• Administrators

Messed up neurotransmitters happen. When serotonin, GABA, endorphins, dopamin, etc., are lacking (and there are tests to measure them), problems ensue. And they alter moods...which sometimes results in genuine (meaning not self-pity or spiritually induced) depression. 

When sin entered this world, it brought about immediate spiritual death. But another thing it did was bring about physical malfunctions...and those malfunctions continue to this day. Mutations, imbalances in different areas of the body, genetic disorders, etc. are all real. And a result of sin. NOT personal sin, but that sin that entered the world when Adam disobeyed God. Our bodies are corrupt and they betray us, whether there is a test to "prove" a malfunction or not. 

I would agree that psychology is not the answer (just an FYI - the actual FIRST meaning of "psyche" was "breath," later changed to "soul," and even later "mind" added to it...probably because most involved in the field don't want to admit people have souls...). But depression is not limited to the psychological realm, in diagnosis or treatment.

And let's be really, really careful to avoid making fellow Christians feel like they have a spiritual problem because we don't understand their physical issues - either by intent or by poor choice of words.

• Members
On 4/11/2018 at 1:52 AM, Saved41199 said:

...I feel that my entire existence is useless and a burden to my husband, who has to support me because I don't have a job. I also was in a car accident about a year ago and the daily pain from it isn't helping any. There are so many things I can't do as a result of my accident and it's not helping me feel any better about anything. 

We're not in dissimilar situations ma'am.  Life has burdens but you're not a burden to your husband but rather his helpmeet.  When you worked, the government took money away from you for Social Security; apply to get it back now.  

• Administrators
12 hours ago, swathdiver said:

We're not in dissimilar situations ma'am.  Life has burdens but you're not a burden to your husband but rather his helpmeet.  When you worked, the government took money away from you for Social Security; apply to get it back now.  

You know, @Saved41199, this might be a good idea. SSI is just for this kind of thing. Your doctor can help you apply for disability, which can help a bit with the financial strain. Then, if you talk to your doctor and there seems to be a way to ease off the meds, or you are able to go back to work, you can stop the disability payments.  As swath pointed out, money was already taken out of your checks, so it is actually your money, not a handout.