• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

• Members
45 minutes ago, DaveW said:

The six days of creation were six literal 24 hours days.

The phrase evening and morning indicate it.

The word Yowm used carries as its primary and first meaning a ltieral day going from evening to morning to the next evening. Yes it does have as a secondary meaning an indeterminate period of time such as "an age" but this is indicated by the words surrounding it, and those words are "evening and morning" indication a literal 24 hour period in themselves.

Further to that, God numbers the days, IN THEIR ORDER - not just a day here and a day there, but First, second, third, fourth, fifth, and sixth - even in the Hebrew the days are given specific order numbers.

And the order of events that God has Designated happened on each of the days (Not ages) that included an evening and a morning does not match anything like the worlds false ideas of evolution.

Hence, I have no problem with the meaning of the word Yowm.

Dave,

You are entirely correct.

Like most false teachers, they only give the meaning of the Greek, or in this case, Hebrew, meaning of the word and neglect to give the full meaning of the word if it contradicts their beliefs.

Furthermore, while Zuno_Yazh mentioned, not quoted, numerous scripture references, he did not mention one verse that interprets all of the days in Genesis chapter1: "For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hollowed it." Exodus 20:11

The King James Version translators were entirely correct in translating Yown as a 24 hour day.

Alan

• Members
9 hours ago, Alan said:

So, as I read your postings, it appears to me you believe in evolution, or in theistic evolution. Or, do I read you wrong?

Classical evolution per se, is, I believe, a spurious fantasy because it discounts intelligent design. But Bible students have to allow for a least a degree of genetic and somatic adaptations and mutations or Genesis won't make any sense at all-- at least not to me anyway.

/

Edited by Zuno_Yazh

• Members

In Genesis 1:1-31, during the creation period, there are none, may I repeat none, genetic, somatic, or mutations, needed in any of the creative acts. All of the creative acts of God in Genesis 1:1-31were formed perfect with  absolutely no need for further genetic, somatic, or mutations. The Book of Genesis makes perfect sense to the individual, and Bible students, that take the scriptures literally.

On 4/4/2018 at 12:13 PM, Zuno_Yazh said:

Gen 1:5b . . And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Just exactly how long were the days of creation? Well; according to Gen 1:24-31, God created humans and all land animals on the sixth day; which has to include dinosaurs because on no other day did God create land animals but the sixth.

However; the fossil record, in combination with scientific dating methods, has thus far strongly suggested that dinosaurs preceded human life by several million years. So then, in my estimation, the days of creation should be taken to represent epochs rather than 24-hour events. That's not an unreasonable estimation; for example:

"These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens." (Gen 2:4)

The Hebrew word for "day" in that verse is yowm (yome) which is the very same word for each of the six days of God's creation labors. Since yowm in Gen 2:4 refers to a period of time obviously much longer than a 24-hour calendar day; it justifies suggesting that each of the six days of creation were longer than 24 hours apiece too. In other words: yowm is ambiguous and not all that easy to interpret sometimes.

Anyway; this "day" thing has been a chronic problem for just about everybody who takes Genesis seriously. It's typically assumed that the days of creation consisted of twenty-four hours apiece; so people end up stumped when trying to figure out how to cope with the 4.5 billion-year age of the earth, and factor in the various eras, e.g. Triassic, Jurassic, Mesozoic, Cenozoic, Cretaceous, etc, plus the ice ages and the mass extinction events.

NOTE: Galileo believed that science and religion are allies rather than enemies-- two different languages telling the same story. He believed that science and religion compliment each other-- science answers questions with which religion doesn't concern itself, and religion answers questions that science cannot answer.

For example: theoretical physicist Stephen Hawking understood pretty well how the universe works; but could never scientifically explain why it exists. Well the only possible answer to the "why" is found in intelligent design; which is a religious explanation rather than scientific.

/

The above statement is a description of evolution and is a false teaching of the scriptures.

• Members

Scientific facts and the scriptures are allies and go together beautifully. Unproven scientific theories which disregard the proven scriptures can be disregarded for consideration as they are allies of nothing. Facts, whither bible or scientific, should never be subject to theories and whims of man.

• Members

-

Genesis 1:24-26a

Gen 1:24-25 . . And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so. And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.

We've come now to the sixth day when all terra life was created; including dinosaurs and humans.

This grouping of creatures (except for Man) isn't specifically given the blessing of fertility; but if God would bless aqua creatures and those with wings, why ever would He not bless the terra species too who are just as important? But since they've been reproducing all this time, then I'd have to say there is sufficient empirical evidence to support the assumption that they too were empowered to reproduce.

The Hebrew word for "living" is chay (khah'-ee) which basically indicates existing as life as opposed to existing as non life. For example, the structural elements of Noah's ark existed as non life; while it's passengers existed as life.

(Some people insist that all things are alive. I recommend leaving that belief at the door when crossing the Bible's threshold because scripture doesn't accommodate it.)

Chay makes it first appearance at Gen 1:20 in reference to aqua creatures and winged creatures; and many times in the Old Testament thereafter; including fifteen times in reference to the Creator; e.g. Jer 10:10, indicating that the Creator is a living being as opposed to a totem pole or a mythical fantasy. There is a very large number of instances recorded in the Old Testament where the creator speaks of Himself as "I am".

Terra critters weren't created ex nihilo; rather, from the very land upon which they live; i.e. God used earthly materials and ingredients already at hand to construct them. Neat-O. Not only are the various plants and animals indigenous to planet Earth; but they are part of it too and blend right back in when they die and decompose.

The "beasts of the earth" in this instance, simply refers to wild life as opposed to domesticated life.

The word for "cattle" is behemah (be-hay-maw') and means a mute beast (a.k.a. dumb animal). Behemah are the herd species from which came those that can be domesticated for Man's uses. They can pull plows and wagons, provide tallow for candles and soap, and hide and wool for clothes, meat and dairy for table, carry loads, and transport people from place to place on their backs. (Probably one of the better things that Spain did for Native Americans was make it possible for them to have horses.)

NOTE: Looking for a steed on the cheap? Well; according to the May 2017 issue of Smithsonian magazine; there are something like 70,000 wild horses and burros running free on Federal lands causing an unacceptable amount of environmental damage. No doubt the BLM would appreciate your help in reducing those numbers.

Not all herd animals can be tamed. Zebras, for instance, and male elephants are not particularly suited to domestication.

The plural of behemah is behemowth (be-hay-mohth') a word which some have construed to indicate dinosaurs; citing Job 40:15-24 as their proof text. However, it's easily proven that the era of monster reptiles was long gone before Mr. Job was even born.

It's no accident that some of the animals are so useful to Man. God made them for the express purpose of serving people. Although they're nephesh, same as Man, that doesn't make them equals with Man. However, although beasts are below the rank of the image and likeness of God, people have no right to be cruel to animals. But Man does have the right, by the creator's fiat, to take advantage of them; and to induct them into slavery for Man's benefit.

"creeping things" is the word remes (reh'-mes) and means: a reptile; or any other rapidly moving animal. Dinosaurs would've been included in this grouping.

/

Edited by Zuno_Yazh

• Members
2 hours ago, Zuno_Yazh said:

However, it's easily proven that the era of monster reptiles was long gone before Mr. Job was even born.

You continue to push the false views of billions of years and evolutionary theory.

These are not acceptable for you to "teach" in this place, as this forum is dedicated to literal biblical truth, not bible twisted to fit with science falsely so called.

There are people here who would happy to discuss these issues and show you how the Bible DOES NOT have to be changed to satisfy a misguided need to accept evolutionary lies, but you need to STOP PUSHING THIS FALSE DOCTRINE.

• Administrators

Regarding the issue of evolutionary billions of years, I have always considered the following verse to be God's inspired answer to the theory of evolution in it's entirety. 

Heb 11:3 Through faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that things which are seen were not made of things which do appear. 

• Members

-

Genesis 1:24-26a

Please forgive me for posting another installment so soon. Truth is: I'm really anxious to get to the human story 'cause that's where the real action is.

Gen 1:26a . . And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness:

Because of the terms "image and likeness" there are some who believe that man's creator is a human being; or at least resembles one. But according to Christ, the Creator is non physical.

"God is a Spirit" (John 4:24)

Spirits don't have solid bodies. (Luke 24:36-39)

Moses instructed Yhvh's people to avoid making any kind of mannequin, figurine, totem pole, or statue representing God since no one has any true concept of what creation's God actually looks like in person. (Ex 4:10-19)

There exists absolutely nothing in nature physically resembling its creator; except maybe the air in front of your face-- neither Man, nor beast, nor plant, nor bird, nor bug, nor reptile nor anything out in the void (Rom 1:21-23). Pagan concepts that portray the Creator as a human being are purely fantasy. (Rom 1:25)

The introduction of the plural personal pronouns "us" and "our" into the narrative at this point has given rise to some interesting speculation regarding the identities of the antecedents.

Gen 1:26b . . and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Humanity's right to dominate the earth is primarily where we find its image and likeness of God. In other words: Man's image and likeness of God is mostly about sovereignty, power, control, and authority. (cf. Gen 44:18 and Ps 82)

The word for "rule" is from radah (raw-daw') and means: to tread down, i.e. subjugate; specifically: to crumble off.

I saw a pretty interesting bumper sticker some time ago that went like this:

We are not above the Earth;

We are of the Earth.

Well . . I respect the Native American cultural sentiment underlying that statement; and must admit that I agree with it to a certain extent. But creation's creator decreed that though Man is of the earth; he is very definitely above it too, and has the God-given power to subjugate every living thing on the planet including its forests, its grasses, its rivers, its seas, its soil, its rocks, its air, its minerals, its mountains, its valleys, and even its tectonic plates and the earth's very atmosphere itself. According to Heb 2:8, humanity is on track to take control of even more.

Another aspect of humanity's image and likeness of God is immortality.

"And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them? And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you." (Ex 3:13-14)

In other words: God always was, He always is, and He always shall be.

Although it could never be said of humanity that it always was; in the beginning it could at least be said that humanity always is and always shall be; because according to Gen 3:22, people were meant to continue indefinitely.

God created all manner of living things in swarms and herds and flocks; no doubt to keep their numbers up because they weren't apportioned the tree of life for nourishment. It was located in the garden of Eden; to my knowledge, the tree was located nowhere else on Earth. In addition; the Hebrew word for "garden" indicates it was walled; probably to keep out foraging animals. In point of fact, I seriously doubt that the tree of life would've helped extend the life span of non human creatures even had they eaten from it; viz: the tree of life was strictly human food: a sort of ambrosia, so to speak.

Humanity is as close to divine as a creature can possibly get.

"I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High." (Ps 82:6)

"What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him? For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour. Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet: all sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field; the fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas." (Ps 8:4-8)

Gen 1:27 . . So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

In verse 26, Man was created in "our" image. In this verse Man is said to be created in "His" image. It appears to me that the difference is due to the word "own". In other words; "our image" is not quite the same as "His own image". There seems to be a subtle difference between "us create" and "He created"; or maybe it's just my imagination.

NOTE: The pronoun "them" in Gen 1:27 is a bit ambiguous. It can refer to the first couple; but it can just as easily refer to the human race in total. In other words: Gen 1:26-27 speaks of all of us; and by extension, so does Gen 2:16-17 because according to Rom 5:12, that's how it worked out.

Some women would be offended by association with a male pronoun but it's a biblical designation nonetheless. Regardless of one's natural gender, all human beings are of the Adam species and can be legitimately referred to as a him or as a he because all of us, regardless of gender, are extensions of Adam; including Eve because she was made from a human tissue sample amputated from his body. Bible students really have to watch for that because when they run across the word "man" and/or "men" in the Bible, it doesn't eo ipso indicate males

/

Edited by Zuno_Yazh

• Members
58 minutes ago, DaveW said:

There are people here who would happy to discuss these issues.

Sorry; but I have a lot of material to cover in Genesis. I can't allow myself to get bogged down in trivial pursuits.

/

• Members

False doctrine is no trivial pursuit, and one who continues to try to teach false doctrine will have a hard time here. 

If you don't believe the first chapter of the Bible is true, then you have no place teaching anything in a Bible believing forum.

We don't want your poison, and we won't allow you to sell it here.

• Members
On 4/1/2018 at 9:11 PM, Zuno_Yazh said:

and the origin of Yhvh's people.

50 minutes ago, Zuno_Yazh said:

Moses instructed Yhvh's people to avoid making any kind of mannequin, figurine, totem pole, or statue representing God since no one has any true concept of what creation's God actually looks like in person. (Ex 4:10-19)

Cliff,

You have a penchant of using, "Yhvh's people," inserted in your text. This usage of, "Yhvh's people is, quite frankly, unusual and a little besetting.

Do you not like to use, "God's people? Or, "the saints of God?"

Is it due to a different version of the bible than the KJV?

Is it due to your continual reference to the Hebrew? Is so, please give us the Hebrew dictionary that you are using.

Alan

P.S. If it due to the church that you belong?Or, group that you belong to? I would like for you to give us the name of the church, or group, or fellowship, and the translation that you use.

Edited by Alan
corrected the P.S.

• Members
18 minutes ago, Zuno_Yazh said:

Sorry; but I have a lot of material to cover in Genesis. I can't allow myself to get bogged down in trivial pursuits.

/

The doctrine of the literal creation is a trivial pursuit?

The doctrine of the literal creation is of extreme importance which is not to be taken lightly. In this study you, not us, brought up the evolutionary process (through a descriptive process). So, the issue of whether or not the creation of the world was by evolution or creation is fertile ground for discussion and of utmost importance and is not a "trivial" matter to be dismissed lightly.

Edited by Alan
grammer (twice)

• Members

-

Hello again;

Sorry for that temporary blackout. It was definitely cowardice on my part for letting a certain element hereabouts intimidate me. Nehemiah would have never caved like I did and I'm ashamed. Anyway, I'm ready now to put my nose back to the grindstone; so let's get back on track forthwith and get this wall built!!

Gen 1:28a . . And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply,

Some interpret that verse to be an edict requiring married people to have children; and that they have no business getting married for any other reason. But the wording is so obviously a blessing rather than a law; especially since God said the very same thing to the winged creatures, and the fish, and the reptiles, and the bugs, and the beasts.

It's always best to regard blessings as benefits and/or empowerments unless clearly indicated otherwise. Some blessings have to be merited (e.g. Deut 28:1-13) but not this one. It was neither requested nor was it earned-- it was freely given without any strings attached and nothing asked in return.

NOTE: The belief that couples should enter marriage for no other reason than procreation is an invention right out of an ascetic imagination; and if truth be known, it's in defense of a celibate clergy. According to Gen 2:18-24 and 1Cor 7:7-9, marriage is primarily for the purpose of companionship rather than procreation. If in fact deliberately childless marriages are wrong, then Catholicism's platonic union of Joseph and the Lord's mom would be a sinful relationship.

Without the empowerment of fertility, Man would be just as sterile as a soup spoon. So it was a very essential blessing. And a very interesting blessing it is because the blessing of fertility empowers living things to pass their own kind of life on to a next generation. God quit creating after six days. So unless creatures were enabled to reproduce, all would soon die out and become quite extinct in a very short time.

Libido therefore, is an essential element of the blessing of fertility. God intended for His creatures to reproduce; and to ensure that they did, He wired them all with libido rather than instilling within them a sense of duty. It isn't necessary to cajole creatures to mate; no, they will do so on their own, propelled by built-in sensual proclivities and predilections.

Gen 1:28b . . and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

The Hebrew word for "replenish" can be either male' (maw-lay'); or mala' (maw-law') which are very ambiguous. Some have attempted to say that "replenish" indicates a previous generation that was somehow exterminated in a mass extinction event. Well; the argument is pretty weak seeing as those words can also mean simply to fill rather than refill.

The Hebrew word for "subdue" is from kabash (kaw-bash') which emphasizes coercion and force; and means: to disregard; to conquer, and to violate.

The word for "rule" is from radah (raw-daw') and means: to tread down; to subjugate.

kabash and radah are very strong language. Those two words combined leave no room for doubt regarding Man's supremacy in the sphere of things. God blessed humanity with the authority to dominate and to violate planet Earth at will, and exploit it to his own advantage. Man answers to no plant nor animal on this entire globe. The whole Earth is within the scope of humanity's purview. If aliens ever come here unannounced, they can be arrested for trespassing, and/or charged for parking because this earth is h.sapien's domain.

But the interesting thing is; the Adam species is also the monarch of the whole cosmos; not just the dinky little third rock from the Sun where he hangs his hat.

"Thou hast put all things in subjection under his feet. For in that he put all in subjection under him, he left nothing that is not put under him. But now we see not yet all things put under him." (Heb 2:8)

Gen 1:29-30 . . And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

. . . And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.

Prior to the Flood; man, beast, bug, and birds too-- even the lions and tigers and hawks and eagles and vultures and crocodiles --subsisted on fruits, nuts, grains, and vegetables. Precisely what kind of diet God intended for sea life is not stated.

That raises an interesting question: why do carnivores have teeth so uniquely suited for killing other creatures and ripping their flesh? Well, I think it's obvious that they didn't use their teeth like that at first.

For example; buck-toothed beavers have incisors that could take your hand off but they don't use them for that purpose. Male musk deer have saber-like upper canine teeth and their diet is moss and grass and sometimes twigs and lichen. And everybody knows about Wally the walrus' big ol' tusks; which he doesn't use to kill his food, but rather, to plow up the sea bottom in search of his favorite mollusks.

Though the fossilized remains of a therapsid, named Tiarajudens eccentricus, exhibits saber tusks, it is believed to have efficiently chewed leaves and stems with interlocking incisors and cow-like molars.

In the kingdom of God, carnivores won't be carnivorous any more, and nothing in the animal kingdom will any longer pose a danger to either Man or to each other. (Isa 11:6-9)

/

Edited by Zuno_Yazh