• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Did Jesus Die

• Administrators
On 4/15/2018 at 10:56 AM, Baptistsenior said:

Pastor Brandenburg and Rhonda want to know who you are

@BaptistseniorI don't know if they'll remember me. My name was LuAnne White back then. They visited our home while I was still living with my folks, Jim and Alice White, going to college. It was while Reagan was running for POTUS.

• Members
14 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

No I do NOT. 

Ok, but I'm certain that you're wrong.

12 hours ago, Pastorj said:

Swathdriver - The problem with Wednesday is if he was put in the tomb at 559p on Wednesday and rose at 6p on Saturday, he rose on the 4th day, not the 3rd.

No sir, that is not correct at all.  Jesus is buried at sundown on 15 Nisan whose day begins at 6pm on the high passover sabbath, a Thursday in this instance.  16 Nisan, Friday and 17 Nisan, Saturday, a regular sabbath, Christ was in the tomb until 6pm on 18 Nisan, a Sunday.  Three full days and nights. 

The Jewish day is divided into two parts, night first and then day.  Night begins at dusk and lasts 12 hours.  More specifically, from 6 PM to 5:59 AM.  Then you have day which begins at dawn and lasts 12 hours.  More specifically, from 6 AM to 5:59 PM.     

• Members
6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

No sir, that is not correct at all.  Jesus is buried at sundown on 15 Nisan whose day begins at 6pm on the high passover sabbath, a Thursday in this instance.  16 Nisan, Friday and 17 Nisan, Saturday, a regular sabbath, Christ was in the tomb until 6pm on 18 Nisan, a Sunday.  Three full days and nights. 

The Jewish day is divided into two parts, night first and then day.  Night begins at dusk and lasts 12 hours.  More specifically, from 6 PM to 5:59 AM.  Then you have day which begins at dawn and lasts 12 hours.  More specifically, from 6 AM to 5:59 PM.     

I understand how the Jewish day works. Jesus had to be in the tomb prior to sundown, not at Sundown. But again, let's say he was in the ground at 559p on Wednesday and rose at 6p on Saturday. That is 72 hrs and 1 minute, which is the 4th day. There is no way that I can see to have him in the grave on Wednesday and arisen on Sunday and have it be the 3rd day. I would be interested in how you get it down to less than 72 hrs.

Thanks
Ed

• Members
8 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Ok, but I'm certain that you're wrong.

Then, Brother "Swathdiver," you will be compelled to view my position on the entire matter as wrong also.

In response, I would ask you the following questions:

1.  Can you provide a single verse of the New Testament wherein the word "early" is clearly used for the evening hours of the day?

2.  According to your position, what all precisely would be encompassed as the third day since (after) the crucifixion?

3.  According to your position, when precisely did the third day since (after) the crucifixion end?

4.  According to your position, what all precisely would be encompassed as the fourth day since (after) the crucifixion?

• Members
On 4/17/2018 at 8:05 AM, Pastorj said:

I understand how the Jewish day works. Jesus had to be in the tomb prior to sundown, not at Sundown. But again, let's say he was in the ground at 559p on Wednesday and rose at 6p on Saturday. That is 72 hrs and 1 minute, which is the 4th day. There is no way that I can see to have him in the grave on Wednesday and arisen on Sunday and have it be the 3rd day. I would be interested in how you get it down to less than 72 hrs.

Thanks
Ed

If you like, send me your email address and I'll send you the timeline on an excel spreadsheet.  It's a work in progress and not complete yet but does have the timeline down right.

On 4/17/2018 at 10:25 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Then, Brother "Swathdiver," you will be compelled to view my position on the entire matter as wrong also.

In response, I would ask you the following questions:

1.  Can you provide a single verse of the New Testament wherein the word "early" is clearly used for the evening hours of the day?

2.  According to your position, what all precisely would be encompassed as the third day since (after) the crucifixion?

3.  According to your position, when precisely did the third day since (after) the crucifixion end?

4.  According to your position, what all precisely would be encompassed as the fourth day since (after) the crucifixion?

Preacher, not at this time; my confused mine says no.  This since (after) stuff doesn't seem right.  When I finish my work.

• Members

If you like, send me your email address and I'll send you the timeline on an excel spreadsheet.  It's a work in progress and not complete yet but does have the timeline down right.

Brother "Swathdiver,"

I do not mind at all.  In fact, I would find it a privilege to receive and consider your timeline spreadsheet (although I may not necessarily agree with all of it).  The following is my public email address (which I do not mind posting here):

shepherdingtheflock@earthlink.net

Preacher, not at this time; my confused mine says no.  This since (after) stuff doesn't seem right.  When I finish my work.

Brother, I understand.  For the sake of information, I used the word "since" because that is the specific English word that is found in the King James translation of Luke 24:21 -- "But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done."  In this context the word "since" means "after in time."  However, when I ask my questions using the word "after," I commonly received the complaint that the verse does not actually use the word "after" and thus that my questions are faulty questions.

From my perspective, those who hold to a Wednesday crucifixion and who hold to three precise 24 hour periods in the grave would numerically require the following timeline:

1.  Wednesday -- Crucifixion
2.  Wednesday 6pm - Thursday 6 pm -- First day after the crucifixion
3.  Thursday 6pm - Friday 6pm -- Second day after the crucifixion
4.  Friday 6pm - Saturday 6pm -- Third day after the crucifixion
5.  Saturday 6pm -- Resurrection (precisely the conclusion of three 24 hour periods in the grave, so able to be considered as the precise conclusion of the third day of three days, as well as precisely the beginning of Sunday, the first day of the week)
6.  Saturday 6pm - Sunday 6pm -- Fourth day after the crucifixion

However, I do not wish to assume this timeline for anyone; therefore, I am compelled to ask.  Basically, I am seeking to know if you hold this timeline, such that Saturday (unto the precise moment of 6pm) is the third day after the crucifixion, which would then logically and numerically make Sunday the fourth day after the crucifixion (according to your position).