• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Did Jesus Die

• Members
11 hours ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I’m not really sure it’s all that important what day he died, but that he died for our sins, was buried and rose again. 

Brother Jordan, 

I would certainly agree that this detail is not nearly as important as those of our Lord Jesus Christ's crucifixion and resurrection themselves.  However, I would also contend that this detail is as important as the information whereby it is revealed in God's Holy Word.  For example, above you appear to make reference unto a quotation by the apostle Paul from 1 Corinthians 15:3-4; but you also left out a detail that the apostle included under inspiration of the Holy Spirit -- "How that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the Scriptures."  The Holy Spirit viewed that detail as important enough to include in this Scriptural declaration for some reason.

• Members
16 hours ago, DaveW said:

I would rather leave things here and not cause offense, and I can see no way further that will not cause offense, no matter how much I try to rephrase things.

When all is said and done, this is an academic argument as a few have said, and the argument is not worth the trouble it may cause.

Enjoy the discussion, I will watch with interest.

Brother Dave, Beloved in the Lord and Friend on the Forum,

I am not sure why you fear that you might offend me, no matter how vigorously you might defend your position against my own (unless you intend to say disparaging things about me personally, which I simply CANNOT image that you might do).  Certainly, I would probably defend my own position against yours with the same level of fervency.  However, I believe that we might be fervent in this regard, yet also remain friends.  Indeed, I pray that I have not presented myself as easily offended by such fervent and vigorous discussions.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

With the above in mind, I do have some questions that I had desired to present in regard to your position on this matter.  If you still prefer not to answer and not to continue the discussion, I will not be offended.  On the other hand, if you are willing to answer the question, they are as follows:

1.  According to your position, when precisely (or at least with as much precision as you might be able to offer) was Christ resurrected?

2.  According to your position, when precisely did the third day since (after) the crucifixion end?

3.  According to your position, what all precisely would be encompassed as the fourth day since (after) the crucifixion?

4.  As per your own question, what is the reason that you think for the women not coming to the tomb until the morning hours of Sunday?

• Members
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 12:36 AM, DaveW said:

I would rather leave things here and not cause offense, and I can see no way further that will not cause offense, no matter how much I try to rephrase things.

When all is said and done, this is an academic argument as a few have said, and the argument is not worth the trouble it may cause.

Enjoy the discussion, I will watch with interest.

I agree it is an academic argument. As long as people are civil, it's a fun discussion.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastorj said:

I agree it is an academic argument. As long as people are civil, it's a fun discussion.

Agreed somewhat.  I agree that it is somewhat an academic argument.  I agree that it can be a fun discussion as long as it remains civil and gracious (which should be true for us always).  However, I also believe that it is as serious as that which is revealed concerning it within God's Holy Word.

• Members
3 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Agreed somewhat.  I agree that it is somewhat an academic argument.  I agree that it can be a fun discussion as long as it remains civil and gracious (which should be true for us always).  However, I also believe that it is as serious as that which is revealed concerning it within God's Holy Word.

Since the day of his death is not clearly stated in Scripture, it's academic. Now when he arose is clear. It happened on the 1st day of the week, early in the "Morning". The exact time is also academic since the timing was not like it is today.

Everything else is clear.
He died on the cross and was buried and rose again on the 1st day of the week which was the 3rd day.

I have always held to a Sunrise resurrection, which holds true to scripture. But I can understand your 3a-6a argument, but I would counter by saying 3a was the start of the 4th watch of the night (4 - 3 hr watches) which ended at Sunrise (the Jewish Day).

• Members
50 minutes ago, Pastorj said:

I have always held to a Sunrise resurrection, which holds true to scripture. But I can understand your 3a-6a argument, but I would counter by saying 3a was the start of the 4th watch of the night (4 - 3 hr watches) which ended at Sunrise (the Jewish Day).

Concerning my position that it was early in the morning hours of Sunday, I provide a somewhat open range (probably between 3-6 am) because "early" (in the morning) is not more precise than that.  I want to be AS precise as Scripture without trying to be MORE precise than Scripture.  I myself would actually lean closer toward sunrise in this estimation, although I would also lean toward the earliest moments of sunrise (whatever timing that might have been on that day).

• Members
21 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Concerning my position that it was early in the morning hours of Sunday, I provide a somewhat open range (probably between 3-6 am) because "early" (in the morning) is not more precise than that.  I want to be AS precise as Scripture without trying to be MORE precise than Scripture.  I myself would actually lean closer toward sunrise in this estimation, although I would also lean toward the earliest moments of sunrise (whatever timing that might have been on that day).

Since morning doesn't start until sunrise, I would agree that it was most likely the moment the sun rose. But a great topic to ask Jesus when we see him.

• Members
On 3/30/2018 at 11:57 PM, HappyChristian said:

I just have to put in a plug...I knew Doug (the man behind pulpitaflame) way back when. I worked for Dr. Boyd when Doug  traveled with him. I got to meet his brand new  wife Rhonda as well. Not that this info adds to the topic, but I just think it's really cool when I hear about folks I've known in the past. And to find that they are still serving the Lord.

He was my Pastor for 6 years before recently going back to evangelism. He's a great preacher. I love him and his family

• Members
On 3/30/2018 at 11:57 PM, HappyChristian said:

I just have to put in a plug...I knew Doug (the man behind pulpitaflame) way back when. I worked for Dr. Boyd when Doug  traveled with him. I got to meet his brand new  wife Rhonda as well. Not that this info adds to the topic, but I just think it's really cool when I hear about folks I've known in the past. And to find that they are still serving the Lord.

Pastor Brandenburg and Rhonda want to know who you are

• Members

I'm going to have to finish my timeline because some of you folks are way off.  The scriptures teach that Christ died on the Nisan the 14th, at 3pm which was a Wednesday.  His body was placed into the tomb and the door rolled closed at 6pm (end of Wed - begin Thurs) and rose again 3 full days and nights later on our Saturday @ 6pm (Sunday).  Mary came to the tomb twice as did Peter, probably not believing what their eyes and ears had seen; in unbelief.   

• Members

The Scriptures themselves teach that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected the first day of the week, which was Sunday.  Furthermore, the Scriptures themselves teach that the day on which our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected, that is -- Sunday, was itself the third day since (from, after) His crucifixion (NOT the fourth day since).  Finally, the Scriptures themselves teach that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected early in the morning hours on the first day of the week (Sunday).  Even so, I am compelled to reject as incorrect any position that contradicts these specific points of Scripture.

I would agree that Mary Magdalene came to the tomb twice, the first time with the other women and the second time alone.  On the other hand, I am not aware of any indication that Peter went to the tomb itself more than once.

• Members
14 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

...our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected early in the morning hours on the first day of the week (Sunday). 

Do you accept that this description of time is the equivalent to our Saturday evening of about dusk?  

• Members
5 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Do you accept that this description of time is the equivalent to our Saturday evening of about dusk?  

No I do NOT. 

As I have presented earlier in this thread discussion (here), I cannot find a single occasion in the New Testament wherein the word "early" (and the Greek word from which it is translated in Mark 16:9) is used for the evening hours of a day, but can ONLY find that when the word is used in the New Testament for the time of a day, it is ALWAYS used for the MORNING hours of the day.  (Note: I DO acknowledge that the Jewish 24 hour day began at 6pm of what we would consider the previous day, so that their viewpoint of a day began with the first watch of the evening, ran through the four watches of the night, and then extended from morning to evening.)

• Members
23 hours ago, swathdiver said:

I'm going to have to finish my timeline because some of you folks are way off.  The scriptures teach that Christ died on the Nisan the 14th, at 3pm which was a Wednesday.  His body was placed into the tomb and the door rolled closed at 6pm (end of Wed - begin Thurs) and rose again 3 full days and nights later on our Saturday @ 6pm (Sunday).  Mary came to the tomb twice as did Peter, probably not believing what their eyes and ears had seen; in unbelief.   

Swathdriver - The problem with Wednesday is if he was put in the tomb at 559p on Wednesday and rose at 6p on Saturday, he rose on the 4th day, not the 3rd.

• Members
54 minutes ago, Pastorj said:

Swathdriver - The problem with Wednesday is if he was put in the tomb at 559p on Wednesday and rose at 6p on Saturday, he rose on the 4th day, not the 3rd.

Actually, the problem is even bigger than that; for in Luke 24:20-21 the two disciples on the road to Emmaus stated, "And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.  But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done."  Now, their communication with our Lord Jesus Christ as they journeyed to Emmaus occurred during the afternoon on Sunday.  Thus the entirety of Sunday, including the afternoon thereof, has to be recognized as the THIRD DAY (not the fourth day) since (from, after) the crucifixion.  From my perspective, it is numerically impossible for the entirety of Sunday to be the THIRD DAY since (from, after) the crucifixion if our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified on Wednesday.

(Note: It is an interesting fact that the truth that our Lord Jesus Christ was resurrected "the third day" (see Matthew 16:21; 20:18-19; Mark 9:31; 10:33-34; Luke 9:22; 18:31-33; 24:6-7; 24:20-21; 24:46; Acts 10:40; 1 Corinthians 15:3-4) is presented in the New Testament almost twice as often as a reference to the truth that His resurrection and the events related to the resurrection were "the first day of the week" (Matthew 28:1; Mark 16:2; 16:9; Luke 24:1; John 20:1; 20:19).  I wonder then if one of these two truths is more significant than the other in relation to the timing of our Lord Jesus Christ's resurrection?)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle