• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

When Did Jesus Die

• Members
12 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Wrong tack brother, but the only mentions are like:

Mat 20:19 And shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again. 

NOT "after".

Matthew 16:21 -- "From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day."  (See also Mark 9:31; Luke 9:22)

Matthew 20:18-19 -- "Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be betrayed unto the chief priests and unto the scribes, and they shall condemn him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles to mock, and to scourge, and to crucify him: and the third day he shall rise again." (See also Mark 10:33-34; Luke 18:31-33)

Luke 24:6-7 -- "He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again."

Luke 24:20-21 -- "And how the chief priests and our rulers delivered him to be condemned to death, and have crucified him.  But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done."

Luke 24:46 -- "And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day."

Acts 10:40 -- "Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly."

1 Corinthians 15:3-4 -- "For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; and that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures."

So then, the New Testament reports SEVEN times that our Lord Jesus Christ's resurrection was THE THIRD DAY (not the first day, or the second day, or the fourth day).  Now, it is precisely accurate to say that it never employs the word "after" in these seven passages.  However, the question may be asked -- THE THIRD DAY in relation to what?  Furthermore, in one of the above passages the statement is made -- "To day is the THIRD DAY SINCE these things were done." (Not the fourth day since)

Edited by Pastor Scott Markle
typo

• Members

You see, I have no problem with three days, and I do not believe that Matt 12:40 is in contradiction with the rest of Scripture.

That is why it is the wrong tack for me - I agree wholeheartedly.

But I ALSO believe the Bible is 100% entirely accurate when it uses the phrase "so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." 

They are not mutually exclusive, and in fact are in complete harmony.

(It is Easter Morning here by the way, and we are just about to begin preparations for a church breakfast, then on to our morning service, so I am unlikely to post further for the next day or two.)

• Members
5 minutes ago, DaveW said:

(It is Easter Morning here by the way, and we are just about to begin preparations for a church breakfast, then on to our morning service, so I am unlikely to post further for the next day or two.)

Certainly, Brother Dave, I would not expect otherwise.

5 minutes ago, DaveW said:

You see, I have no problem with three days, and I do not believe that Matt 12:40 is in contradiction with the rest of Scripture.

That is why it is the wrong tack for me - I agree wholeheartedly.

But I ALSO believe the Bible is 100% entirely accurate when it uses the phrase "so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth." 

They are not mutually exclusive, and in fact are in complete harmony.

Absolutely, Matthew 12:40 is NOT in contradiction with the rest of Scripture; and I would NEVER indicate or imply any such notion.  God's Holy Word NEVER contradicts itself, NO, NOT EVER.  However, I would contend that certain claims concerning the meaning of Matthew 12:40 MIGHT contradict the rest of Scripture, that is -- the position that Matthew 12:40 must absolutely without any other possibility mean 3 precisely 24 hour periods.

• Members

It's a great annual topic. I have been involved in this discussion a number of times. People will hold to Wednesday, Thursday or Friday with fervor. I agree with one poster. The critical aspect is that he died and rose again. The day of passing is a fun topic to discuss.

Friday - Accepted day of crucifixion due to having to be in the ground by the Sabbath (6p Friday Night). Problem, difficult to get 3 days and 3 nights without using fancy definitions.
Thursday - Fits the 3 days, 3 nights, but would require a "Special" High Sabbath to be on Friday. No gap in between the High and Normal Sabbath would be a reason the women didn't go to the tomb until Sunday.

Wednesday - 2nd most accepted day. Allows for a literal 72 hours (3 days and 3 nights). Problem is that 1 Cor. says that he rose "On" the 3rd day. Wednesday also means that the women could have visited the tomb on Friday (No Sabbath). Would require a "High" Sabbath on Thursday.

From a high level, that is the arguments.

• Members
9 minutes ago, Pastorj said:

It's a great annual topic. I have been involved in this discussion a number of times. People will hold to Wednesday, Thursday or Friday with fervor. I agree with one poster. The critical aspect is that he died and rose again. The day of passing is a fun topic to discuss.

Friday - Accepted day of crucifixion due to having to be in the ground by the Sabbath (6p Friday Night). Problem, difficult to get 3 days and 3 nights without using fancy definitions.
Thursday - Fits the 3 days, 3 nights, but would require a "Special" High Sabbath to be on Friday. No gap in between the High and Normal Sabbath would be a reason the women didn't go to the tomb until Sunday.

Wednesday - 2nd most accepted day. Allows for a literal 72 hours (3 days and 3 nights). Problem is that 1 Cor. says that he rose "On" the 3rd day. Wednesday also means that the women could have visited the tomb on Friday (No Sabbath). Would require a "High" Sabbath on Thursday.

From a high level, that is the arguments.

Indeed. My own position is, as per the basic arguments -- Thursday.  From my perspective, too much Scripture is contradicted by the other two positions.

• Members

I personally hold to Thursday, but I don't break fellowship with anyone who holds to Friday. Now the Wednesday people, they are another group :). Now if Bro. Matt held to a Friday, then I would have to even break fellowship with the Friday group :)

I have for years held to Friday because of the "High Sabbath". I have talked with many Jewish leaders who have told me that there is no Sabbath on any day other than Saturday. But I can't reconcile Friday so I have to hold to Thursday and believe that the historical records are incomplete. Let God be true and every man a liar.

• Members
16 hours ago, Pastorj said:

...I can't reconcile Friday so I have to hold to Thursday and believe that the historical records are incomplete. Let God be true and every man a liar.

It's all in the bible.  No need to go outside of it.

• Members

Swathdriver and Pastor Scott,

We will agree to disagree on this one. All 3 days can be argued from Scripture and proven in the minds of individuals. The fact is that history does not record a Sabbath on a day other than Saturday and the Jewish religion has no clue what we talk about when we mention a "High Sabbath" that isn't on Saturday.

As mentioned, I hold to a Thursday crucifixion even though History is against my position. But I will not dogmatically defend any of the 3 days as Scripture is not as clear as some make it out to be. The key is, Christ Died and Rose again and is alive today!

• Members
10 hours ago, Pastorj said:

The fact is that history does not record a Sabbath on a day other than Saturday

The Bible does indeed record non-saturday Sabbaths:

Lev 23:24  Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.

Notice that it specifically refers to a date - 1st day of the seventh month - and commands that they shall have a sabbath.

This date could fall on any day of the week.

• Members
10 hours ago, DaveW said:

Lev 23:24  Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, In the seventh month, in the first day of the month, shall ye have a sabbath, a memorial of blowing of trumpets, an holy convocation.

Notice that it specifically refers to a date - 1st day of the seventh month - and commands that they shall have a sabbath.

DaveW,

I understand and I agree that the Bible does talk about non Saturday Sabbaths. I have not disputed that, which is why I hold to a Thursday crucifixion. However, I shared that the Jewish Orthodoxy does not. They reject the "High Sabbath" being anything more than the normal Sabbath day. They would say that the Bible would be referring to the "Sabbath of the Passover".

Now, as to Lev, I would have to study that passage out a little more, but based on your quote, I would agree with your interpretation.

• Members
12 hours ago, DaveW said:

Indeed.

• Members
6 hours ago, DaveW said:

Why didn't the ladies come to the tomb after sunset saturday night?

Anyone have a good thought?

Sabbath finished at sunset, why wait until the next morning?

Any answer that I give would be conjecture, and nothing more.  I myself am not aware of any Biblical reason.  If you have a Biblically rooted reason, I would certainly be interested.

• Members

Travel after sunset was not normal. It would be normal to go to the grave first thing in the morning, which is what everyone did. They could have gone after sunset as there was nothing unbiblical, just not practical back then.