Online Baptist Community
  • Newest Sermon Entry

• By 1Timothy115 in Devotionals
      Psalms 119:1-8                                         Sep. 5 - Oct. 2, 2019
      1 ALEPH. Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the LORD.
      2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
      3 They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways.
      4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      6 Then shall I not be ashamed, when I have respect unto all thy commandments.
      7 I will praise thee with uprightness of heart, when I shall have learned thy righteous judgments.
      8 I will keep thy statutes: O forsake me not utterly.
      The following verse stood out to me...
      5 O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!
      At first glance it seemed to me this person’s soul is poured out with intense desire to have God’s direction in keeping His Word.
      I made a small wood fire in our backyard for my granddaughter, Julia, since she would be staying overnight with us. My wife and Julia stayed outside at the fire for about half an hour. Then, I found myself alone to watch the fire die out on a particularly lovely evening. So I took my verse from above and began to repeat it for memorization. As I repeated the verse, I tried to contemplate the words and apply them to what I was seeing around me. 
      The moon and stars were out now peering through the scattered clouds above.
      [Genesis 1:16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also. Genesis 1:17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth, Genesis 1:18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.]
      Thought 1         
      The moon has stayed his course since the day God created him, also the stars, obeying the statutes directed by God from the first day they were created. Can you imagine God’s direction to the Moon and stars, “moon you will have a path through the sky above the earth, stars you will occupy the firmament above the moon and be clearly visible in the cloudless night sky.”
      Then, the trees, grass, even the air we breathe obey the statues God gave them from the beginning. None of these creations have souls, none have hearts, none have intelligence, but they all observe God’s statutes, His instructions for their limited time on earth.
      Thought 2
      What if we were like the moon, stars, trees, grass, or the other creations which have no soul? We would be directed to keep God’s statutes without choosing to keep them. This is not the image of God, there would be no dominion over other creatures, or over the earth. We would not be capable of experiencing the joy and peace of learning the love of God
      Genesis 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
      Philippians 4:7 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      Thought 3 (October 2, 2019)
      Is the psalmist pleading God to force God’s statutes to become the man’s ways? No, he is speaking of his own failure in keeping God’s statutes and his desire to keep them, very much like Paul in Romans 7:14-25.
      God doesn’t work through force to turn men from their ways that they would desire His statutes or desire God Himself. Men must reject (repent) put aside his own ways and voluntarily seek God and His statutes.

A Newly Purchased Bible!

Rate this topic

• Members

So I just bought a new bible. Oh how I love the feel of a new bible. :))))):17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes:
My current bible is a little bit worn out, still in one piece but I just glued the spine together so the pages won't fall out. But it's still usable. I've had for 7 years (from when I got saved) and my notes are all in the margins and note pages. 

However, after I bought my Study Bible (I bought it for the pictures and geographical notes, mosty), I've been visiting the Christian Bookstore almost everyday. (Because I'm a hoarder and I buy things even when I dont need them. Please pray for me.) Bibles are 50% off since it's the Holy Week and I saw this blue Thomas Nelson Bible which has thick pages. I need to be able to highlight and write on the pages so I go for those kinds of bible. So I bought it and I'm excited to use it. But all my highlights and notes are on the old one. 

How do you guys deal with a new Bible? 
Do you copy the highlights and notes from the old one? or you try to make a new "learning and journey" with the new?

• Lady Administrators
14 hours ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

How do you guys deal with a new Bible? 
Do you copy the highlights and notes from the old one? or you try to make a new "learning and journey" with the new?

I do some of both. But I keep my old Bibles, so I still have the information as a reference.

• Advanced Member

My wife always reads the bible in French.  For years she used the Louis Segond until we met an American missionary Pastor in France who has had printed and imported 5 tons of Ostervald bibles, which are based on the Texte Reçu, the received text.  I bought a few of these for various friends.  While we were there a few years ago the pastor gave my wife one leather bound copy where a number of pages in psalms were torn in printing and binding.  She uses that in her daily reading and her complete one for church, only referring to that at home when she needs to.  They also had one where the books were in reverse order, beginning at Revelation and ending with Genesis. 

• Independent Fundamental Baptist

I have very mixed feelings when I get a new Bible.  :12_slight_smile:  I absolutely love my Bibles and I have notes all over the place and verses underlined with emphasized markings.  The Bible is so exciting and I love how it teaches me knowledge, and by the Spirit I glean understanding!  I still have the little KJV New Testament that I was given as a very little girl, and then a KJV Bible with both testaments...and my name engraved into the leather-made cover.  Just think!  The Word is God-breathed!  It's alive and powerful (Heb. 4:12).  It is God speaking to US!  I recently wrote a little piece that I entitled "Are We Paying Attention?"  Are we paying attention when we open up our Bibles and read from them?  Do we truly understand that God is talking to us?  He's not just talking to the saints of old...but to you and to me...today!  Wow!  Anyway...I'm sorry that I go on sometimes, but His Word is just so marvelous and so sweet, so full of instruction and comfort and light!  So...though I have mixed feelings when I get a new Bible it is still a joy because I know that what I've hidden in my heart is still there and there's all the more opportunity to learn and to grow more and more.  What a treasure God's Word is to us!!

My husband and I bought new bibles when we were baptized at our church, just over a year ago now. I hope to keep it forever, as I've already highlighted, put notes in it, etc. I had a cover for it but THAT got messed up in my car (don't ask...). I don't think I could ever transfer all the notes I've already made in it, it'd take just WAY too long. Eventually I'd love to find a nice wide-margin bible that would let me make neater notes in it, but right now it's just not in the budget. 

This is the one we have 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/king-james-study-bible-thomas-nelson/1100178436?ean=9781401679484#/

Edited by Saved41199

• Members
6 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

I do some of both. But I keep my old Bibles, so I still have the information as a reference.

Yes. I’m gonna keep my old one too. 

5 hours ago, Invicta said:

My wife always reads the bible in French.  For years she used the Louis Segond until we met an American missionary Pastor in France who has had printed and imported 5 tons of Ostervald bibles, which are based on the Texte Reçu, the received text.  I bought a few of these for various friends.  While we were there a few years ago the pastor gave my wife one leather bound copy where a number of pages in psalms were torn in printing and binding.  She uses that in her daily reading and her complete one for church, only referring to that at home when she needs to.  They also had one where the books were in reverse order, beginning at Revelation and ending with Genesis. 

That’s amazing! :) I wish I can read the bible in Filipino. Although there are KJV’s in Tagalog, I just can’t understand it. I understand it better in English.  I didn’t know there were bibles like that (reverse order) 

5 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

I have very mixed feelings when I get a new Bible.  :12_slight_smile:  I absolutely love my Bibles and I have notes all over the place and verses underlined with emphasized markings.  The Bible is so exciting and I love how it teaches me knowledge, and by the Spirit I glean understanding!  I still have the little KJV New Testament that I was given as a very little girl, and then a KJV Bible with both testaments...and my name engraved into the leather-made cover.  Just think!  The Word is God-breathed!  It's alive and powerful (Heb. 4:12).  It is God speaking to US!  I recently wrote a little piece that I entitled "Are We Paying Attention?"  Are we paying attention when we open up our Bibles and read from them?  Do we truly understand that God is talking to us?  He's not just talking to the saints of old...but to you and to me...today!  Wow!  Anyway...I'm sorry that I go on sometimes, but His Word is just so marvelous and so sweet, so full of instruction and comfort and light!  So...though I have mixed feelings when I get a new Bible it is still a joy because I know that what I've hidden in my heart is still there and there's all the more opportunity to learn and to grow more and more.  What a treasure God's Word is to us!!

Me too! I love a new bible but I also love how my old one looks like right now. It reflects the wisdom God shared with me reading it for many years. And yes. 

Bible reading is being in a conversation with God. :))) You’ll understand passages better and apply it to your present circumstances in a different angle than you used to. 

This book is all we need. :) 

I’m reading Exodus now. Although I would love if God is in our midst  in a cloud or fire as well. I realized that Israel still rebelled and complain unto God even when they can see Him! Also, God is inside us which is better. :) 

38 minutes ago, Saved41199 said:

My husband and I bought new bibles when we were baptized at our church, just over a year ago now. I hope to keep it forever, as I've already highlighted, put notes in it, etc. I had a cover for it but THAT got messed up in my car (don't ask...). I don't think I could ever transfer all the notes I've already made in it, it'd take just WAY too long. Eventually I'd love to find a nice wide-margin bible that would let me make neater notes in it, but right now it's just not in the budget. 

This is the one we have 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/king-james-study-bible-thomas-nelson/1100178436?ean=9781401679484#/

I have a Thomas Nelson Study Bible too. :) all of my bibles are Thomas Nelson because they’re the best available that i can readily buy. 

I have a journal bible, a single column with wide margins I used for advanced bible study. :) 

1 hour ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I transfer my notes from one to the next. Sometimes I skip some notes if I have changed my mind or don’t see them as being significant 

Noted. :) 

I’ll try to do this too ! :) 

• Members
2 hours ago, Saved41199 said:

Where did you find it? 

Thanks in advance

It’s by Thomas Nelson as well. :) 

The paper is thinner than I’d prefer but it’s thicker than those of premium bibles. And it’s $39.99. Not bad! 

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Version-Personal-Lightweight/dp/0718080432

Saw this from amazon and it’s only $25. :))) 

• Members
49 minutes ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

It’s by Thomas Nelson as well. :) 

The paper is thinner than I’d prefer but it’s thicker than those of premium bibles. And it’s $39.99. Not bad! 

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Version-Personal-Lightweight/dp/0718080432

Saw this from amazon and it’s only $25. :))) 

3 hours ago, Saved41199 said:

Where did you find it? 

Thanks in advance

Or maybe this has thicker pages. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0718089634/ref=pd_aw_sbs_14_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JCA0PPEC03H22N9BYRSC&dpPl=1&dpID=91T7m9ZzFYL

• Administrators

I must be different. In the beginning I bought the best quality bible I could find. I have never had to replace it and its not because it is not used, it is used on a daily basis. My bible was bought in 1976. Five years ago the pages started to come out of the binding, so I sent if off to be rebound. They did a wonderful job and it is like new again except for the discoloration of the pages. The cover is still in wonderful condition.

So I have never had to go through the experience of having to transfer my notes or highlights. My bible has wide margins for notes and the print, while not large, is sort of bold, so it is easy to read.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I must be different. In the beginning I bought the best quality bible I could find. I have never had to replace it and its not because it is not used, it is used on a daily basis. My bible was bought in 1976. Five years ago the pages started to come out of the binding, so I sent if off to be rebound. They did a wonderful job and it is like new again except for the discoloration of the pages. The cover is still in wonderful condition.

So I have never had to go through the experience of having to transfer my notes or highlights. My bible has wide margins for notes and the print, while not large, is sort of bold, so it is easy to read.

Hello Jim. 

Can you tell us from where you bought it? Which publisher? Thanks! 

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Mine is a Cambridge from University Press. It has a genuine leather cover. I don't remember where I bought it, but it was probaly from a Christian book store. When I was in Alaska there were not many places to buy bibles.

I’ve been researching about Cambridge bibles and they look very elegant. However, I’m a heavy note taker. I highlight and write along the margins. The cambridge bibles seem to have thin pages. 

How about yours? :) 

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

That’s amazing! :) I wish I can read the bible in Filipino. Although there are KJV’s in Tagalog, I just can’t understand it. I understand it better in English.  I didn’t know there were bibles like that (reverse order) 

It was a binding error

• Advanced Member
16 hours ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

We support a Filipino Pastor who came over a year or two ago, he came to our church on a Wednesday  evening.   He gave an update on his work and then said "Do you mind if I don't preach as I can only preach in Tagalog."   Our friend, Gilbert was a missionary in Manila for 18 years.  He learnt Tagalog but was not confident in preaching in that language without reading his sermons. He eventually became the pastor of a mainly Chinese church in the English language. More recently he has retired to Scotland and became pastor to the Harbour Mission Baptist Church in Wick., The membership was only five elderly ladies.  

Wick is  somewhat remote and the next town is 50 miles away but takes about 2½ hours to drive and over 4 hours by train..  In the past,fishermen from the harbour went all down the east coast of Scotland and England.  Their wives often followed them to process the fish.  However with overfishing in the past and EU quotas mean that the fisherman have gone and the mission became a Baptist Church.  

18 hours ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

I’ve been researching about Cambridge bibles and they look very elegant. However, I’m a heavy note taker. I highlight and write along the margins. The cambridge bibles seem to have thin pages. 

How about yours? :) 

I do not recommend Cambridge bibles, they have good covers, but I don't think their binding is near as good as Church bible publishers or local church bible publishers. 

• Administrators

I'm not sure why you say this Jordan. My binding lasted for 39 years of hard use. And when it started to go, it was just the map pages and the two front pages. But I have to admit that I have no experience with any other bibles, this is the first and only one I have ever used.

8 hours ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

May I request you to post a picture? 

I want to know how much the highlights bleed. :))) Thank you. 

I don't have any way to post a picture of my bible Celina, I'm sorry.