• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A Newly Purchased Bible!

• Members

So I just bought a new bible. Oh how I love the feel of a new bible. :))))):17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes::17_heart_eyes:
My current bible is a little bit worn out, still in one piece but I just glued the spine together so the pages won't fall out. But it's still usable. I've had for 7 years (from when I got saved) and my notes are all in the margins and note pages. 

However, after I bought my Study Bible (I bought it for the pictures and geographical notes, mosty), I've been visiting the Christian Bookstore almost everyday. (Because I'm a hoarder and I buy things even when I dont need them. Please pray for me.) Bibles are 50% off since it's the Holy Week and I saw this blue Thomas Nelson Bible which has thick pages. I need to be able to highlight and write on the pages so I go for those kinds of bible. So I bought it and I'm excited to use it. But all my highlights and notes are on the old one. 

How do you guys deal with a new Bible? 
Do you copy the highlights and notes from the old one? or you try to make a new "learning and journey" with the new?

• Administrators
14 hours ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

How do you guys deal with a new Bible? 
Do you copy the highlights and notes from the old one? or you try to make a new "learning and journey" with the new?

I do some of both. But I keep my old Bibles, so I still have the information as a reference.

• Members

My wife always reads the bible in French.  For years she used the Louis Segond until we met an American missionary Pastor in France who has had printed and imported 5 tons of Ostervald bibles, which are based on the Texte Reçu, the received text.  I bought a few of these for various friends.  While we were there a few years ago the pastor gave my wife one leather bound copy where a number of pages in psalms were torn in printing and binding.  She uses that in her daily reading and her complete one for church, only referring to that at home when she needs to.  They also had one where the books were in reverse order, beginning at Revelation and ending with Genesis. 

• Members

I have very mixed feelings when I get a new Bible.  :12_slight_smile:  I absolutely love my Bibles and I have notes all over the place and verses underlined with emphasized markings.  The Bible is so exciting and I love how it teaches me knowledge, and by the Spirit I glean understanding!  I still have the little KJV New Testament that I was given as a very little girl, and then a KJV Bible with both testaments...and my name engraved into the leather-made cover.  Just think!  The Word is God-breathed!  It's alive and powerful (Heb. 4:12).  It is God speaking to US!  I recently wrote a little piece that I entitled "Are We Paying Attention?"  Are we paying attention when we open up our Bibles and read from them?  Do we truly understand that God is talking to us?  He's not just talking to the saints of old...but to you and to me...today!  Wow!  Anyway...I'm sorry that I go on sometimes, but His Word is just so marvelous and so sweet, so full of instruction and comfort and light!  So...though I have mixed feelings when I get a new Bible it is still a joy because I know that what I've hidden in my heart is still there and there's all the more opportunity to learn and to grow more and more.  What a treasure God's Word is to us!!

• Members

My husband and I bought new bibles when we were baptized at our church, just over a year ago now. I hope to keep it forever, as I've already highlighted, put notes in it, etc. I had a cover for it but THAT got messed up in my car (don't ask...). I don't think I could ever transfer all the notes I've already made in it, it'd take just WAY too long. Eventually I'd love to find a nice wide-margin bible that would let me make neater notes in it, but right now it's just not in the budget. 

This is the one we have 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/king-james-study-bible-thomas-nelson/1100178436?ean=9781401679484#/

Edited by Saved41199

• Members
6 hours ago, HappyChristian said:

I do some of both. But I keep my old Bibles, so I still have the information as a reference.

Yes. I’m gonna keep my old one too. 

5 hours ago, Invicta said:

My wife always reads the bible in French.  For years she used the Louis Segond until we met an American missionary Pastor in France who has had printed and imported 5 tons of Ostervald bibles, which are based on the Texte Reçu, the received text.  I bought a few of these for various friends.  While we were there a few years ago the pastor gave my wife one leather bound copy where a number of pages in psalms were torn in printing and binding.  She uses that in her daily reading and her complete one for church, only referring to that at home when she needs to.  They also had one where the books were in reverse order, beginning at Revelation and ending with Genesis. 

That’s amazing! :) I wish I can read the bible in Filipino. Although there are KJV’s in Tagalog, I just can’t understand it. I understand it better in English.  I didn’t know there were bibles like that (reverse order) 

5 hours ago, WellWithMySoul said:

I have very mixed feelings when I get a new Bible.  :12_slight_smile:  I absolutely love my Bibles and I have notes all over the place and verses underlined with emphasized markings.  The Bible is so exciting and I love how it teaches me knowledge, and by the Spirit I glean understanding!  I still have the little KJV New Testament that I was given as a very little girl, and then a KJV Bible with both testaments...and my name engraved into the leather-made cover.  Just think!  The Word is God-breathed!  It's alive and powerful (Heb. 4:12).  It is God speaking to US!  I recently wrote a little piece that I entitled "Are We Paying Attention?"  Are we paying attention when we open up our Bibles and read from them?  Do we truly understand that God is talking to us?  He's not just talking to the saints of old...but to you and to me...today!  Wow!  Anyway...I'm sorry that I go on sometimes, but His Word is just so marvelous and so sweet, so full of instruction and comfort and light!  So...though I have mixed feelings when I get a new Bible it is still a joy because I know that what I've hidden in my heart is still there and there's all the more opportunity to learn and to grow more and more.  What a treasure God's Word is to us!!

Me too! I love a new bible but I also love how my old one looks like right now. It reflects the wisdom God shared with me reading it for many years. And yes. 

Bible reading is being in a conversation with God. :))) You’ll understand passages better and apply it to your present circumstances in a different angle than you used to. 

This book is all we need. :) 

I’m reading Exodus now. Although I would love if God is in our midst  in a cloud or fire as well. I realized that Israel still rebelled and complain unto God even when they can see Him! Also, God is inside us which is better. :) 

38 minutes ago, Saved41199 said:

My husband and I bought new bibles when we were baptized at our church, just over a year ago now. I hope to keep it forever, as I've already highlighted, put notes in it, etc. I had a cover for it but THAT got messed up in my car (don't ask...). I don't think I could ever transfer all the notes I've already made in it, it'd take just WAY too long. Eventually I'd love to find a nice wide-margin bible that would let me make neater notes in it, but right now it's just not in the budget. 

This is the one we have 

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/king-james-study-bible-thomas-nelson/1100178436?ean=9781401679484#/

I have a Thomas Nelson Study Bible too. :) all of my bibles are Thomas Nelson because they’re the best available that i can readily buy. 

I have a journal bible, a single column with wide margins I used for advanced bible study. :) 

1 hour ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I transfer my notes from one to the next. Sometimes I skip some notes if I have changed my mind or don’t see them as being significant 

Noted. :) 

I’ll try to do this too ! :) 

• Members
2 hours ago, Saved41199 said:

Where did you find it? 

Thanks in advance

It’s by Thomas Nelson as well. :) 

The paper is thinner than I’d prefer but it’s thicker than those of premium bibles. And it’s $39.99. Not bad! 

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Version-Personal-Lightweight/dp/0718080432

Saw this from amazon and it’s only $25. :))) 

• Members
49 minutes ago, CelinaCelinaCelina said:

It’s by Thomas Nelson as well. :) 

The paper is thinner than I’d prefer but it’s thicker than those of premium bibles. And it’s $39.99. Not bad! 

https://www.amazon.com/Holy-Bible-Version-Personal-Lightweight/dp/0718080432

Saw this from amazon and it’s only $25. :))) 

3 hours ago, Saved41199 said:

Where did you find it? 

Thanks in advance

Or maybe this has thicker pages. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0718089634/ref=pd_aw_sbs_14_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=JCA0PPEC03H22N9BYRSC&dpPl=1&dpID=91T7m9ZzFYL

• Administrators

I must be different. In the beginning I bought the best quality bible I could find. I have never had to replace it and its not because it is not used, it is used on a daily basis. My bible was bought in 1976. Five years ago the pages started to come out of the binding, so I sent if off to be rebound. They did a wonderful job and it is like new again except for the discoloration of the pages. The cover is still in wonderful condition.

So I have never had to go through the experience of having to transfer my notes or highlights. My bible has wide margins for notes and the print, while not large, is sort of bold, so it is easy to read.

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I must be different. In the beginning I bought the best quality bible I could find. I have never had to replace it and its not because it is not used, it is used on a daily basis. My bible was bought in 1976. Five years ago the pages started to come out of the binding, so I sent if off to be rebound. They did a wonderful job and it is like new again except for the discoloration of the pages. The cover is still in wonderful condition.

So I have never had to go through the experience of having to transfer my notes or highlights. My bible has wide margins for notes and the print, while not large, is sort of bold, so it is easy to read.

Hello Jim. 

Can you tell us from where you bought it? Which publisher? Thanks! 

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Mine is a Cambridge from University Press. It has a genuine leather cover. I don't remember where I bought it, but it was probaly from a Christian book store. When I was in Alaska there were not many places to buy bibles.

I’ve been researching about Cambridge bibles and they look very elegant. However, I’m a heavy note taker. I highlight and write along the margins. The cambridge bibles seem to have thin pages. 

How about yours? :)