• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Spirit separation service

• Members

The statement and question below resulted from reading the introduction to a book I most recently read. I won't attempt to smooth or reformat the thought or question...here they are raw. 

I don’t believe you can have service where there is no Spirit and no Spirit where there is no separation.

Can you show me from scripture where I might be mistaken?

• Members

Depends on how one defines "separation". The Bible says you can't worship God without "spirit and truth".

Some emphasize truth with no spirit and others have plenty of "spirit" but no truth. But the two are inseparable. (no pun intended).

Some are so "separated" they forget how to treat others, even in their own church.

• Members
3 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Depends on how one defines "separation". The Bible says you can't worship God without "spirit and truth".

Some emphasize truth with no spirit and others have plenty of "spirit" but no truth. But the two are inseparable. (no pun intended).

Some are so "separated" they forget how to treat others, even in their own church.

Howdy heartstrings, its been a while, nice to hear from you. There is a lot of "truth" in what you said above. 
I'm looking more at the effect of "spirit and truth" worship and not quenching the Spirit resulting in service to the local church and the lost. I suppose the best definition is Be in the world but not of the world. Or, our separation for the purpose of God using us to further His purpose.

• Members

The Spirit of God is about love, not merely "do's and don'ts. This, I think, illustrates how "spirit and separation" are inseparable......

Romans 13: 8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law. 9For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 10Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

A man once told me he didn't like my church because it was "too legalistic". Acts of "separation" CAN be legalistic if they're done for the wrong reasons. But it's not "legalistic" if it's done in the spirit of love. For instance, if you love your neighbor you will not "dress" provocatively in front of him/her. You won't dance provocatively either. You won't drink or smoke because you don't want to be a stumblingblock. You will try not to be a bad influence in other habits and behaviors because you're doing it out of love and if you're doing it out of love how can you be judgmental of your neighbor who doesn't do as you do? I'm agreeing with you. Good post! :)

Edited by heartstrings
to add

• Members

Yes, and I agree with comments above. Jesus stressed the "love" both as a new commandment and in fulfilling the law. Of course the latter was pointed toward a Jew but we can make application to ourselves. Paul also, cautioned us about becoming a "tinkling cymbal" so to serve is to love (1) love Christ and (2) love our neighbor as ourselves. Back to the original question, we must "be ye separate" but we must go in among them "filled with the Spirit" to serve as our Lord commanded and "be witnesses".

• Members

Yes, but how can others know we are "filled with the Spirit"?  They (and we) can know because the Spirit of God is manifested by love. See 1 John 4  the entire chapter

Now please read Romans 12. If we obey the first two verses, we can walk in the Spirit, and are "not conformed to this world". Then we can do what is in the rest of the chapter,  effective witnesses through love.

Edited by heartstrings