• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 teach the sign gifts have ceased?

• Members

Hi  wretched,

Thank you for talking so graciously. I do appreciate that. And I so agree that `God`s word`s when He speaks are more powerful than we would ever know.`

God tells us that through His Son He made the worlds, and that by His most powerful word He continues to uphold it all.

`God,....has spoken to us by His Son,....by whom also He made the worlds;...and upholding all things by the word of His power...` (Heb. 1: 2 & 3)

Then we know that when the armies of the world surround Jerusalem that the Lord`s voice will cause the heavens and the earth to shake. The mountains and the cities of the world will fall!

`I will gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat,......The Lord also shall roar out of Zion, and utter His voice from Jerusalem; and the heavens and the earth shall shake;....` (Joel 3: 1 & 16)

`And there were voices, and thunders and lightnings; and there was a great earthquake , such as was not since men were upon the earth, so mighty an earthquake and so great, and the great city was divided into three parts, and the cities of the nations fell....and every island fled away and the mountains were not found,` (Rev. 16: 18 - 20)

Yes I agree wretched that when the Lord comes in power and great glory His word of authority in judgment, against the armies of the world, is very powerful.

`And this shall be the plague wherewith the Lord will smite all the people that have fought against Jerusalem. Their flesh shall consume away while they stand upon their feet, and their eyes shall consume away in their holes, and their tongue shall consume away in their mouth.` (Zech. 14: 12)

I also agree that the Lord is in our hearts by the Holy Spirit. However one day when I have my new body, immortal and incorruptible, then I shall see the Lord, and just not through a glass darkly. I will have become fully mature and then have the ability, (by the Holy Spirit) to comprehend the Lord more in all His glory.

regards, Marilyn.

• Members
On 3/14/2018 at 6:11 PM, Marilyn C said:

I believe the gifts of the Holy Spirit are the ones mentioned in 1 Cor. 12: 8 - 10. It is the Holy Spirit that draws us to Christ and it is He that indwells the believer. There are many `signs` of the Holy Spirit`s presence,-  fruits of the Spirit, wisdom & knowledge of His word, healing and prophecy, etc.

Marilyn,

You mentioned that these gifts are still in effect today. Please expound.

1. Do you have the gift of prophecy?

2. Have you ever prophesied of the future?

3. Have you ever given, spoken, or written, of any future dates concerning any prophecy of the scriptures?

4. Can you tell us of a individual that has the gift of prophecy?

If you have written any specific dates, concerning any specific prophecy written in the scriptures, please tell us.

Alan

• Members
17 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi NN,

Yes the Word of God stands forever, but not the paper and ink of our Bibles.

The true word is the very mind and thoughts of God. And how precious they are towards us.

regards, Marilyn.

Indeed...all temporal things shall be burnt; however, God's word isn't temporal and is settled forever in heaven. If this is just a case of word-play, then I will bow out. I have no desire to debate such things such as this.

• Members

If God's word is magnified to him (TO HIM) more so than his name...and it is (Psalm 138:2)...

...and if taking God's name in vain is included as one of the 10 commandments...and it is (Exodus 20:7 and Deuteronomy 5:11)

...then I would assume that God's word is of some importance and wouldn't be willing to discount its importance in the future...

...but that's me.

Edited by No Nicolaitans
spelling

• Members
14 hours ago, Alan said:

Marilyn,

3. Have you ever given, spoken, or written, of any future dates concerning any prophecy of the scriptures?

If you have written any specific dates, concerning any specific prophecy written in the scriptures, please tell us.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Wow, you do have some questions for me.....I`d probably have no for most of those.

As to prophecy for future events, dates etc. Well, I tend to see Prophecy more in the light of -

`The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.` (Rev. 19: 10)

and -

`...he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.` (1 Cor. 14: 3)

When a teacher of the word brings forth what he believes the Holy Spirit would have him speak to the congregation, then to me he is speaking the now word of the Lord. Perhaps highlighting some portion of scripture that the Holy Spirit is focussing on at that time. Prophecy is God speaking, I believe. It is not always about the future - forth telling not always foretelling.

Hope that is clearer as to what I believe..

regards, Marilyn.

• Members
6 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Indeed...all temporal things shall be burnt; however, God's word isn't temporal and is settled forever in heaven. If this is just a case of word-play, then I will bow out. I have no desire to debate such things such as this.

Hi NN,

No, I`m not into word-play. Now we know that God spoke through men in the past and inspired them to write the books of the Bible.  Some words are about history, some of prophecy etc. All are an unfolding of Christ, as He is the centre of the Bible. Some prophecies concerning Christ have been fulfilled and some are yet to come. I believe, and think you would too, that what ever God says, then it will come to pass, It is settled.

regards, Marilyn.

Edited by Marilyn C

• Administrators

Marilyn, I believe that I have kept up with all of your posts so far, but have yet to see you indicate what kind of church you attend. You did not check the "Independent Baptist" box in your profile, so I just have to assume that you are not an IFB.

Would you mind telling us what kind of church you attend, or what denomination you align with? Thank you for considering this.

• Members
27 minutes ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi Alan,

Wow, you do have some questions for me.....I`d probably have no for most of those.

As to prophecy for future events, dates etc. Well, I tend to see Prophecy more in the light of -

`The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.` (Rev. 19: 10)

and -

`...he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.` (1 Cor. 14: 3)

When a teacher of the word brings forth what he believes the Holy Spirit would have him speak to the congregation, then to me he is speaking the now word of the Lord. Perhaps highlighting some portion of scripture that the Holy Spirit is focussing on at that time. Prophecy is God speaking, I believe. It is not always about the future - forth telling not always foretelling.

Hope that is clearer as to what I believe..

regards, Marilyn.

Marilyn,

No, you are not clear in your answer. In fact you are ambiguous and playing with words in your answer. I feel that you are avoiding a clear cut answer to my questions. My questions are very clear and can be answered in a straightforward manner.

Alan

• Members
Just now, Jim_Alaska said:

Marilyn, I believe that I have kept up with all of your posts so far, but have yet to see you indicate what kind of church you attend. You did not check the "Independent Baptist" box, so I just have to assume that you are not an IFB.

Would you mind telling us what kind of church you attend, or what denomination you align with? Thank you for considering this.

Hi Jim,

Thank you for being interested. As I said previously we attended an Anglican church, where my husband was brought up in. Nowadays we meet in a house type church of believers, but not specifically of a denomination. Remembering that all denominations have been started at some point in history. We do relate to other believers in different denominations in our area.

And as to my beliefs you can read them and discuss with me concerning those. I think it is great to share and learn from each other. We all have some area we have done more study in and I appreciate those who have looked more deeply into areas that I have not. My emphasis, or study has mainly been in the area of eschatology, though my great passion is mentoring which I have done over the years.

regards, Marilyn.   

15 hours ago, Alan said:

Marilyn,

Alan

Hi Alan,

1. No.

2. No.

3. No.

4. No.

Marilyn.

• Members

Marilyn,

Since you answered "No" to the four questions, can you please explain the following dates in the following "Worthy Christian Forum,"The Tribulation Calendar - The Date for the Peace Treaty. - Marilyn's Messages - Worthy Christian Forums.html posting.

In that posting you clearly state that the date for the signing of the peace treaty by the Jews with the anti-Christ is on March 16, 2010.

Marilyn's Messages

A blog by Marilyn C

The Tribulation Calendar - The Date for the Peace Treaty.

image.png.304acd332bf4d5210364b3099d0e22ea.png

Entry posted by Marilyn C · December 6, 2017

The Peace Treaty - Adar 20th (March 16th 2020)

The month of Adar is the time of rejoicing of deliverance from enemies. It is the last month of the Jewish year and the happiest in the calendar. This rejoicing will be after God deals with the Russian Federation of Israel`s mountains.                  

image.png.8eaf83df2a9ca5a5f702045f8927c04f.png

The Peace Treaty, I believe, will be signed and come into effect on Monday March the 16th 2020. (Adar 20)

This is the beginning of the working week and will usher in the `7 year` Tribulation.

Regards,

Alan

Edited by Alan

• Members
12 minutes ago, Alan said:

Marilyn,

Since you answered "No" to the four questions, can you please explain the following dates in the following "Worthy Christian Forum,"The Tribulation Calendar - The Date for the Peace Treaty. - Marilyn's Messages - Worthy Christian Forums.html posting.

In that posting you clearly state that the date for the signing of the peace treaty by the Jews with the anti-Christ is on March 16, 2010.

Marilyn's Messages

A blog by Marilyn C

The Tribulation Calendar - The Date for the Peace Treaty.

image.png.304acd332bf4d5210364b3099d0e22ea.png

Entry posted by Marilyn C · December 6, 2017

The Peace Treaty - Adar 20th (March 16th 2020)

The month of Adar is the time of rejoicing of deliverance from enemies. It is the last month of the Jewish year and the happiest in the calendar. This rejoicing will be after God deals with the Russian Federation of Israel`s mountains.                  

image.png.8eaf83df2a9ca5a5f702045f8927c04f.png

The Peace Treaty, I believe, will be signed and come into effect on Monday March the 16th 2020. (Adar 20)

This is the beginning of the working week and will usher in the `7 year` Tribulation.

Regards,

Alan

Hi Alan,

Wow, I didn`t know I was so .....well...known. Glad you brought that up. Yes I have done some calculations according to God`s numbers in His word. That is my `opinion` for the time of the Peace treaty etc. The date of the rapture is not known or given in God`s word. However God does clearly say, referring to the day of the Lord, (tribulation) and thus rapture before that -

`But ye brethren are not in darkness that this day, (day of the Lord) should overtake you as a thief.` (1 Thess. 5: 4)

`...exhorting one another; and so much the more as you see the day (of the Lord) approaching.` (Heb. 10: 25)

As we will see the day of the Lord, the tribulation approaching then the rapture would be before that. And I believe that the Holy Spirit will quicken believer`s hearts right across the Body as the time draws very near.

regards, Marilyn.

• Members

So, you are a prophetess. So, no wonder you stated that the signs of 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 have not ceased and are with us today.

The dates that you giving, in my eyes, are prophecies, and not a "forth-telling" in my understanding of the word.

Alan

• Members

If anybody would like to know the date of the Lord Jesus Second Coming, according to Marilyn's calculations, please read the following.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/blogs/entry/1008-the-tribulation-calendar-the-date-for-jesus-return/

Alan

Edited by Alan
added the words, "Second Coming."

• Members
Just now, Alan said:

So, you are a prophetess. So, no wonder you stated that the signs of 1 Corinthians 13:8-12 have not ceased and are with us today.

The dates that you giving, in my eyes, are prophecies, and not a "forth-telling" in my understanding of the word.

Alan

Hi Alan,

No, just some one who studies eschatology. The numbers are there along with God`s festivals for Israel.

Marilyn.

Just now, Alan said:

If anybody would like to know the date of the Lord Jesus according to Marilyn's calculations, please read the following.

https://www.worthychristianforums.com/blogs/entry/1008-the-tribulation-calendar-the-date-for-jesus-return/

Alan

Thank you Alan, very kind of you. And I would be interested to hear people`s thoughts on that series or any other of my blogs, my personal thoughts.

regards, Marilyn.