• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Who are the “sons of God” in Genesis 6?

• Members
Genesis 6:

And it came to pass, when men began to multiply on the face of the earth, and daughters were born unto them,

2That the sons of God saw the daughters of men that they werefair; and they took them wives of all which they chose.

3And the LORD said, My spirit shall not always strive with man, for that he also is flesh: yet his days shall be an hundred and twenty years.

4There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

5And GOD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.

People (including Christians) use these verses to teach that fallen angels mated with human women, resulting in some half-human/half-demon hybrids.

This doesn’t sit well with my spirit, and I think there is a simple explanation of this passage that is being overlooked.

I just do NOT believe it is saying demons mated with women. Angels are not human & cannot create offspring with us. 

I do not think God would even allow that to be POSSIBLE.

• Members

Hi BabeinChrist,

I so agree with you. It would be ridiculous for God to create angels with apparatus to procreate and then not let them. Angels do not have sexual parts as that is only what people need to have children. Jesus Himself said there is no marrying in heaven.

The `sons of God` to my understanding are the sons of Seth, as from him on then `men began to call on the name of the Lord.` (Gen. 4: 26)

regards, Marilyn.

• Members
17 hours ago, Marilyn C said:

Hi BabeinChrist,

I so agree with you. It would be ridiculous for God to create angels with apparatus to procreate and then not let them. Angels do not have sexual parts as that is only what people need to have children. Jesus Himself said there is no marrying in heaven.

The `sons of God` to my understanding are the sons of Seth, as from him on then `men began to call on the name of the Lord.` (Gen. 4: 26)

regards, Marilyn.

That’s what I am thinking. God uses the word “angels “ in other places in Genesis, so wouldn’t He have done the same if that’s what He meant in Genesis 6.

”sons of God” throughout the Bible always referred to saved people, and I think the people who are telling me they are angels are getting that info from outside of Scripture, and turning it into a false doctrine.

thx!

• Administrators

It is amazing and somewhat discouraging when people, especially Christians, are drawn to the dramatic and sensational, rather than what God's Word plainly teaches. These are followers of men rather than The Word of God.

• Members
6 hours ago, BabeinChrist said:

Who are the Giants, the mighty men of old?

That part still puzzles me.

Based upon the grammatical construction of Genesis 6:4, I am convinced that the giants and the mighty men are NOT the same group of people.

• Members

I think something that people ignore is that men like Goliath were called giants - they were just big guys, not "Jack and the beanstalk" giants.

Taken like that, the giants were men noted for their size, and the mighty men were simply men noted for their fighting skill, as with the "mighty men of valour" noted in various places of the OT.

And I agree with Pastor Scott - two separate groups of guys noted for different reasons, who were prominent at that time. 

• Members
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 2:40 PM, BabeinChrist said:

There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown.

One possibility since the greater context of this passage is dealing with the flood, is that these giants clearly noted in this passage as a separate thought very well could be a reference to dinosaurs, mammoths and other giant creatures which God decided not to include on the Ark nor to continue on earth after the flood. Job references strange beasts that would match the fossil remains of these creatures and there is plenty of undisputed, physical evidence that these creatures did exist on earth. It certainly was no ice age that killed them off.

• Members
33 minutes ago, wretched said:

One possibility since the greater context of this passage is dealing with the flood, is that these giants clearly noted in this passage as a separate thought very well could be a reference to dinosaurs, mammoths and other giant creatures which God decided not to include on the Ark nor to continue on earth after the flood. Job references strange beasts that would match the fossil remains of these creatures and there is plenty of undisputed, physical evidence that these creatures did exist on earth. It certainly was no ice age that killed them off.

Brother Wretched,

That was certainly an interesting thought.  It is a completely new thought for me, since I had never encountered it before.  Thus I have indeed given it some thoughtful consideration.  At the present time, however, I would lean away from that understanding, since everything else within the immediate context of Genesis 6:1-4 seems to be focused upon mankind, not animal kind.

• Members

I also had not considered that line of thought, but then it occurred to me:

Gen 6

19  And of every living thing of all flesh, two of every sort shalt thou bring into the ark, to keep them alive with thee; they shall be male and female.

20  Of fowls after their kind, and of cattle after their kind, of every creeping thing of the earth after his kind, two of every sort shall come unto thee, to keep them alive.

So I think not. 

I had to check the exact wording of the passage, but it certainly seems inclusive.

Edited by DaveW

• Moderators

I have always thought it possible that everyone was giants then. After all, if one lived over 900 years, what would be the reason we would assume they would stop growing at 16 years or 18 years, like today, with so much shorter a lifespan?  Before the flood everything seems to have been much larger: giant sloths, lizards, snakes, rhinos, elk, etc, including the dinosaurs, all huge! There was greater air pressure and a higher amount of oxygen, by about 50%, and a virtually perfect atmosphere, so why wouldn't they get much bigger?

• Members
10 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

I have always thought it possible that everyone was giants then. After all, if one lived over 900 years, what would be the reason we would assume they would stop growing at 16 years or 18 years, like today, with so much shorter a lifespan?  Before the flood everything seems to have been much larger: giant sloths, lizards, snakes, rhinos, elk, etc, including the dinosaurs, all huge! There was greater air pressure and a higher amount of oxygen, by about 50%, and a virtually perfect atmosphere, so why wouldn't they get much bigger?

That is an interesting idea.