• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Preaching a Salvation Message

• Members

Being the principal of an ACE christian school, and going to an IBC church, I hear a lot of salvation messages. We have visiting preachers and missionaries come through, and I will have them preach in chapel at school sometimes, and I am appalled at the inability of so many preachers to explain the gospel of salvation in a simple, coherent, understandable manner that reaches both children and the unchurched. These guys come through like hurricanes, scream and shout, spew out a lot of catch-phrases, "Baptistisms" and scripture, and then leave behind them a wake of confusion and contradiction. I've have 10 yr old kids in this school from Christian homes who have "gotten saved" 3 and 4 times already, because of the confusion generated by preachers who tell them to pray a prayer, followed by the preacher who tells them to repent, who is then followed by the one who says "just believe". 

Even on this forum, I read what some write about "getting saved" and "repentance - vs - easy-believe ism" and I scratch my head and wonder if we've all even met the same Jesus.

I preached a message in school chapel this week on salvation, which I rarely do. It's a little long, because I wanted to take my time and lay things out in a clear, understandable, interesting manner. This is my explanation on the single most important question for mankind. And I think what is not said is just as important as what is said. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXSX_pIekng

• Members

Clear and to the point in your preaching, WW

Churches here in Oakland where the Pastor's and preachers proclaim the Gospel by shouting are a dime a dozen, as if shouting makes the message sound more convincing or authoritative. Televangelists are also notorious for this "method" or preaching.  The Gospel is easy to understand regarding Salvation, but can also be easily corrupted. Paul feared that the Corinthians would fall victim to false apostles who distort the truth with their deceptive messages that preach another form of the Gospel instead of the message of true "saving grace" rather than preaching Christ crucified. Most people who believe that they have "lost their salvation" or can lose it believe so because of doctrines such as easy-believism that have been indoctrinated by.

• Members

unfortunately today, many are more into catch phrases like "asking Jesus into your heart" "giving your life to Jesus" "Make Jesus your Lord and Savior", etc rather than actually preaching the Gospel.

a friend of mine on facebook posted the following on facebook:

"Much of today's preaching is subjective and experience-oriented, Where the attention of the hearer is placed on themselves and their personal response to the preaching. The emphasis of today's preaching is on the invitation and people having a correct outward response. The Gospel, however, is objective and the emphasis is on Christ and what He has done. It is NOT, did a person do or say the right things when he got saved or received Christ, BUT rather the emphasis for salvation and assurance should always be that Christ said and did the right things and God received and accepted HIM! Salvation in Christ is received through faith alone and is not dependent on ANY action of man!"

I find it interesting that God puts the emphasis on believing the Gospel, while many today put an emphasis more on praying a prayer, or repenting of your sins, etc. 

I think this is why so many people question or doubt their salvation, Baptist Preachers need to consider why we have so many questioning their salvation with subjective/self based questions like "Did I repent enough" "Was I sorry enough" "was I genuine enough" etc.

"The Gospel is not a call to repentance, or to amendment of our ways, to make restitution for past sins, or to promise to do better in the future. These things are proper in their place, but they do not constitute the Gospel; for the Gospel is not good advice to be obeyed, it is good news to be believed. Do not make the mistake then of thinking that the Gospel is a call to duty or a call to reformation, a call to better your condition, to behave yourself in a more perfect way than you have been doing in the past …

Nor is the Gospel a demand that you give up the world, that you give up your sins, that you break off bad habits, and try to cultivate good ones. You may do all these things, and yet never believe the Gospel and consequently never be saved at all.”

SOURCE: Pastor Harry A. Ironside, from the sermon: What Is The Gospel?

• Members

30 minutes ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

I think this is why so many people question or doubt their salvation, Baptist Preachers need to consider why we have so many questioning their salvation with subjective/self based questions like "Did I repent enough" "Was I sorry enough" "was I genuine enough" etc.

That is also true, and often leads to legalism.  A friend of mine passed away a few years ago and on his deathbed said, "Did I do enough for the Lord? Did I live a good enough life?" Repentance is one of the signs that one has been born again. That's different from repenting to somehow obtain Salvation. Repentance is part and parcel of the Gospel, but it is not THE Gospel. 

But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. (2 Corinthians 11:3)