• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Question about Bible College.

• Members

I am looking for a good Bible College that I can attend online.  I am looking for a Doctorate in Divinity.  I am a stay-at-home soon to be wife and as such I have enough for my needs but no money for much else.  My spirit desires the Word of God and learning with fervor more about Him.   I know studying Theology is very in depth and I am not looking to become a pastor but I am looking for the knowledge as I crave the study and fellowship with God.

Edited by Anna Ruddy

• Members

You might check into Andersonville Theological Seminary. It's based in Camilla, Georgia. That's where I got my BA from. That was several years ago, so I don't know how things may have changed...but at the time they were KJV and conservative.

https://andersonvilleseminary.com/

At the time while I was taking courses, they were very affordable...I think I paid $100 down and $50 a month thereafter. However, that was several years ago...I got my degree in 2009.

Wait and see what others here may say though... :14_relaxed:

• Members

Does your church not offer some kind of Bible institute?

Do you NEED a doctorate?

Ask your Pastor first before asking places like this - He is the one who is tasked with caring for your spiritual well-being.

Heb 13:17  Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

By the way, I am not suggesting that the above mentioned college is not good.

And I do think it is great that you want to do organised study - but your Pastor is the one who should care for you spiritually (after your Husband of course!).

( I feel like this is not coming out very nice - I don't mean it to sound short, so if it does, I apologise.)

• Members

I will have to check out the college.  And yes I would want a Doctorate because if I am going to study theology and pay for it then I might as well go all in and get the most that I can out of learning.  As far as asking my pastor about the college I am going to ask his input and then make my decision from the choices I get after I pray about it as well.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, Anna Ruddy said:

I will have to check out the college.  And yes I would want a Doctorate because if I am going to study theology and pay for it then I might as well go all in and get the most that I can out of learning.  As far as asking my pastor about the college I am going to ask his input and then make my decision from the choices I get after I pray about it as well.

If you are a soon-to-be-wife, you also need to discuss this with your soon-to-be-husband. You cannot biblically make a decision like this without him.  God is pleased with us when we desire to learn more about His Word - I'm sure He will show you how you are to go about it.

• Members

In going "all in" you may want to consider that the Doctorate will not open doors for you.  Another choice might be to audit theology classes on a Bachelor's level (assuming you have the prerequisites to enroll in a college).  Auditing would give you the information and the study, but would alleviate the time constraints and pressures that being a student would add to a new marriage.  Everyone else has given you good advice.  What does your fiancee think about your prospective plans?

• Members

I have a challenge for you. I recommend you hold off on pursuing a degree for one year. In one year if you still feel the same way then go for it but I can 100% guarantee you (if you follow the instructions) that you will not feel the same way in one year. First order a set of KJV Bible CDs of the New Testament narrated by Alexander Scourby.  (Ebay or Amazon) These can also be listened to on youtube if you prefer.

Once the CDs arrive, spend the same amount of time you would as a full time student in college (4-6 hours) a day secluded without distraction, listening with prayers for the Spirit's understanding and an open heart to the Spirit.

Start with the Gospels in order, then repeat at least 5 times before you move on. This will not take much time if you stick to a schedule as mentioned, you will understand the Old Testament at this point like you never imagined. Then go onto Acts and repeat it 5 times, then the remainder of the NT in order but hold off on Revelation until you have gone through all Epistles 5 times. Revelation will be far more understandable for you by this time. Once completed repeat the entire program again in the same order over and over.

Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the Word of God. This verse will take on a entirely new meaning to you and you will have faith expediential to before.

This plan will save you money and effort, and most of all you will understand God without the traditions and opinions of men. Something theology from any college can never give you. 

Just a friendly recommendation I give to anyone, whether a student or not. Of course the times can be modified and listening while commuting is far more soothing than anything else if you have a long commute.

Edited by wretched

• Members

Anna,

I feel that I should clarify things a bit.

First, Andersonville isn't an "online college" as one would normally assume. When I was taking classes from them, they would send mp3 audio discs of the classes. I would then take tests over those courses, and send them my test answers to them online. When I finished one set of courses, they would send more mp3s for the next courses. This was done at the student's own pace. I don't know if things are still like that or not.

To be honest, I didn't learn very much at all from those courses that I didn't already know from my own study and teaching from my pastor. There were a few things that I learned, but for the most part, nothing was new...except for the things that I didn't agree with...or made me raise an eyebrow. Mmm hmmm...

That's not to say that studying something like this couldn't be of benefit...it could. However, I would caution you to be mindful of the fact that unless you are deeply grounded in God's word already, things like this could be a problem.

When I heard things in the classes that I didn't agree with, it gave me cause for concern. Such as, in the Evangelism course, the professor said that a church planter should go out into the community and take a survey of what the community expects from a church...and implement that into their work in starting a church. YIKES!

Then there was the Prophecy course, where the professor said that the flames of hell were black...that's why you couldn't see them. HUH?

Then there was the realization that one of the most popular professors was a proponent of a well-known Calvinist pastor. It didn't come out in his courses, but just finding that out threw a dark stain over him.

Anna,

Nothing...and I repeat NOTHING will take the place of your own study (allowing the Holy Spirit to teach you) and the teaching that you get from a godly dedicated pastor.

If I may, can I tell you how my degree has benefited me? I have a single, fancy piece of paper that says that I have a Bachelor of Theology. That's the extent of it.

Please consider all of the advice that you've received, and please pray over this carefully. If you're not grounded in what you know to be true from God's word, a Bible college can mess you up...for lack of better terminology.

Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who has been there and done that. Also keep in mind that this is my opinion and experience: others may disagree with me. I don't want to give you cause for discouragement in your endeavors, but as a brother in Christ, I do want to lovingly make you aware of what I can speak of from my own experience.

Edited by No Nicolaitans
spelling