Online Baptist Community

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

Rate this topic

PastorMatt

• Members
On 7/9/2020 at 10:38 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet this would still leave open the question -- Are you talking about General Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Particular Baptist (Calvinist in belief system), Free Will Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Regular Baptist (somewhat Calvinist in belief system), or some other kind of Baptist?  Even so, claiming to be Baptist does not necessarily distinguish you from the question concerning Calvinist or Arminian, nor does it actually answer which (if either) you might be.

Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian but a Biblicist.  

The Calvinists believe that God decreed all events to happen including the sin of unbelief, thus human depravity has no influence in man when he is called by God.  

The Arminians believe that man by his own determination can come to God, and man not so depraved but there is good in him.  

The Biblicist believes that man being depraved and under the influence of his depraved nature yet when under the influence of God, the Holy Spirit and the preaching of God's word, has the freewill to either humble under God's grace and influence and obey the gospel to repent and believe or to remain pride and follow his depraved nature.  

• Independent Fundamental Baptist
50 minutes ago, mbkjpreacher said:

Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian but a Biblicist.  

Indeed, this is a little more clear than saying, "Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian, but a Baptist," since the Baptists have included whole categories both of Calvinists and Arminians.

As for myself, I would agree -- Neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian, but a Biblicist.  (Although to be precise, I would have to acknowledge that I hold the same as the Arminian on three out of five "points," since those three points are mutually exclusive and only allow for an "either/or" option.  Yet I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian on the other two "points.")

• Members
7 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Indeed, this is a little more clear than saying, "Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian, but a Baptist," since the Baptists have included whole categories both of Calvinists and Arminians.

As for myself, I would agree -- Neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian, but a Biblicist.  (Although to be precise, I would have to acknowledge that I hold the same as the Arminian on three out of five "points," since those three points are mutually exclusive and only allow for an "either/or" option.  Yet I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian on the other two "points.")

I would stick to the Bible yet I do acknowledge that there are some truths and false held by Calvinists and Arminians and whichever is in harmony with the Scriptures that will I hold.  

41 minutes ago, mbkjpreacher said:

I would stick to the Bible yet I do acknowledge that there are some truths and false held by Calvinists and Arminians and whichever is in harmony with the Scriptures that will I hold.  

Amen, and AMEN!!!

• 9 months later...
  • Members
On 2/2/2018 at 6:28 PM, PastorMatt said:

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

'Neither'.

In Christ Jesus, Born Again By The WIll of The Father in Heaven, As Written, 

I am a New Creation.

• Administrators

So, you would answer a strangers specific question about being either a Calvinist or Arminian by saying you are:  In Christ Jesus, Born Again By The Will of The Father in Heaven, As Written, 

I am a New Creation.

A bit rude don't you think?

Posted (edited)

"Election" doesn't mean what they think it means: Even Jesus and angels are "elect".

"Predestination" doesn't mean what they think either.

The Gospel is NOT complicated like that, as Calvinism tries to make it. "But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ." the Bible says.

And when a man gets saved, he's saved for ever because he's been sealed, born of the Spirit, born of God, a "son of God", passed from death unto life, shall not come into condemnation, and  indwelled with the Holy Ghost. So, I tell people that BOTH Calvinism and Arminianism is in error.  I am neither.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members
On 2/2/2018 at 6:51 PM, PastorMatt said:

I find it alarming that too many people think that there are only two choices here. Neither Calvinism or Arminianism lines up with Scripture.

I'm glad I read some of this thread, PastorMatt. I usually answer with Biblicist myself. I don't reveal whether or not I agree with TULIP, etc. It's irrelevant what I as a person think. The only thing that matters is what the Bible teaches, and though both "sides" can back up their stances with Scripture, they don't settle the question! I guess that's why God only reveals what we truly need to know about living the Christian life!

• Members
Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2021 at 8:22 PM, Jim_Alaska said:

A bit rude don't you think?

On 4/30/2021 at 4:23 PM, BrotherTony said:

Neither Calvinism or Arminianism lines up with Scripture.

So those who are a new creation agree.   

On 4/30/2021 at 3:28 AM, Bouncing Bill said:

Preach Christ, not social issues. If they come to Christ he will work on their social issue beliefs.

On 4/28/2021 at 9:34 PM, 1Timothy115 said:

The reason why men do not look to the Church today is that she has destroyed her own influence by compromise. ~ G. Campbell Morgan (B. 1863- D. 1945)

Edited by jeff_student_of_Jesus
Just saw. By sheer Grace from the Father.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Anyone else ever notice the word "Sovereign" isn't in scripture? Yet the word is bandied about like crazy by Calvinists.

I never thought of that before. 

15 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Anyone else ever notice the word "Sovereign" isn't in scripture? Yet the word is bandied about like crazy by Calvinists.

Yet the English word "sovereign" simply means "1. above or superior to all others; chief; greatest; supreme: 2. supreme in power, rank, or authority: 3. of or holding the position of ruler; royal; reigning."  Certainly that definition DOES apply to the Lord our God, the MOST HIGH God, the Ruler of heaven and earth.

Furthermore, consider that we are quite comfortable using the term "trinity" although it is not specifically found in the King James translation, as well as other terms, such as "rapture," etc.  If a term is a legitimate doctrinal term, used in accord with Biblical doctrine and definition, I see no problem with its usage in doctrinal discussions.

• Members
15 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

I have notice that. I see a lot of Calvinist use that on a regular basis. Those who are in the Arminian camp also use it, but say that God's sovereignty and his allowance of "free will" doesn't in any way negate the fact that he IS sovereign. The debate still rages on after 400 years! 😉

Posted (edited)

Calvinists regularly use the term "sovereignty" when arguing that God controls our will pertaining to salvation.  Because of that I refuse to use the term at all and I don't have to because neither the term, nor the doctrine associated with it, are found in the King James Bible.

Edited by heartstrings

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet the English word "sovereign" simply means "1. above or superior to all others; chief; greatest; supreme: 2. supreme in power, rank, or authority: 3. of or holding the position of ruler; royal; reigning."  Certainly that definition DOES apply to the Lord our God, the MOST HIGH God, the Ruler of heaven and earth.

Furthermore, consider that we are quite comfortable using the term "trinity" although it is not specifically found in the King James translation, as well as other terms, such as "rapture," etc.  If a term is a legitimate doctrinal term, used in accord with Biblical doctrine and definition, I see no problem with its usage in doctrinal discussions.

Very true-words that aren't there, yet the idea of the word is present. I agree that God's sovereignty is present in scripture, but I also realize that in that sovereignty, He allows His creatures to choose to receive or reject His offer of grace.

Trinity, I generally don't use-rather I use the term "godhead'.  Rapture, I use sometimes, but i also just call it God taking His people out.