• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Members
2 hours ago, Alan said:

Jeff,

If you have no problem with the rules than why do I have to explain anything to you?

Alan

Shalom today to all who love the Creator,  who are called according to His Purpose in Christ Jesus;

Alan: I noticed in the last hour,  looking/searching 'translation' on the forum,  briefly, that others disagree with you,  and you yourself posted something like you were going to 'enforce' "your interpretation" on your thread ....  

This indicates others whether new or old,  whatever group they are in I didn't pursue to find out,

disagree with "your interpretation" of things,  whether of the KJV or other ideas I don't know.

You "chose" to try to explain something(s),  but did not show at all any confusion caused by anything in my posts, whether Scripture quotes , or just my statements not directly quoting Scripture.

The purpose of my posts,  with and without Scripture,  is to provide/ illustrate/ show truth,   and to either agree with (supportive) of a previous post of someone,  or to disagree or show what looked like a direct error or a seeming error in someone's post ---  i.e. always in the direction of clarity for those who trust and rely on the Father in heaven and who abide in the Word,  and the Word abides in them.

If anything in any post of mine looks to be in error , actually,  kindly post/quote it and I'll consider it and discuss it plainly.

In Christ, always abiding in Him, and His Word abiding in me/ us/ ,

jeff

• Members

Obviously, no one on this site has ever heard of Reformed Baptist. Unfortunately, the closest to me is 33 miles away, so it’s a little impractical for me to drive to services all this way twice a week, which I tried for over nine months; and this is even with the pastor being a teammate from high school, whose beliefs line up perfectly with mine. Which are as Biblical as any, or more than any I’ve read on this site.

If any of you care to check history of Christianity in America you’ll see that the Christianity that came over from our forefathers in England from the Puritans in Virginia, and later from the Pilgrims in Massachusetts, and for that matter from those souls who earlier tried to make a go of it in North Carolina, were of the Reformed persuasion. This was the Baptist Church until about 1849 or so.

Edited by Beltrod

• Members
1 hour ago, Beltrod said:

Obviously, no one on this site has ever heard of Reformed Baptist. Unfortunately, the closest to me is 33 miles away, so it’s a little impractical for me to drive to services all this way twice a week, which I tried for over nine months; and this is even with the pastor being a teammate from high school, whose beliefs line up perfectly with mine. Which are as Biblical as any, or more than any I’ve read on this site.

If any of you care to check history of Christianity in America you’ll see that the Christianity that came over from our forefathers in England from the Puritans in Virginia, and later from the Pilgrims in Massachusetts, and for that matter from those souls who earlier tried to make a go of it in North Carolina, were of the Reformed persuasion. This was the Baptist Church until about 1849 or so.

You're agrument is truth based on tradition. That's the same approach the Roman Catholic Church takes. Because they were allegedly first means they are the most scriptural or "the one true church" when it only means they have been pulling the wool over everyone's eyes the longest.

Sola scripture.

• Members
1 hour ago, Beltrod said:

Actually, the doctrinal differences between General Baptists and Particular Baptists existed long before 1849.  Indeed, I believe that historically the first officially recognized Baptist churches of England were considered General Baptist in belief system (due to doctrinal influences from the European Anabaptist Mennonites), NOT Particular Baptist in belief system.

• Members
On 6/29/2020 at 10:05 AM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Actually, the doctrinal differences between General Baptists and Particular Baptists existed long before 1849.  Indeed, I believe that historically the first officially recognized Baptist churches of England were considered General Baptist in belief system (due to doctrinal influences from the European Anabaptist Mennonites), NOT Particular Baptist in belief system.

We PB trace though back to earky 17th century, as the first Confession 1644!

• Members
God Would Have ALL Men to be Saved!!

2:3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour;

1Timothy 2:4 Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. == A stake in the false teaching Calvinism's heart!

• Members
7 hours ago, mbkjpreacher said:

Neither Calvinists nor Arminians but Baptist

Yet this would still leave open the question -- Are you talking about General Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Particular Baptist (Calvinist in belief system), Free Will Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Regular Baptist (somewhat Calvinist in belief system), or some other kind of Baptist?  Even so, claiming to be Baptist does not necessarily distinguish you from the question concerning Calvinist or Arminian, nor does it actually answer which (if either) you might be.

• Members
On 7/9/2020 at 10:38 PM, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Yet this would still leave open the question -- Are you talking about General Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Particular Baptist (Calvinist in belief system), Free Will Baptist (Arminian in belief system), Regular Baptist (somewhat Calvinist in belief system), or some other kind of Baptist?  Even so, claiming to be Baptist does not necessarily distinguish you from the question concerning Calvinist or Arminian, nor does it actually answer which (if either) you might be.

Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian but a Biblicist.  

The Calvinists believe that God decreed all events to happen including the sin of unbelief, thus human depravity has no influence in man when he is called by God.  

The Arminians believe that man by his own determination can come to God, and man not so depraved but there is good in him.  

The Biblicist believes that man being depraved and under the influence of his depraved nature yet when under the influence of God, the Holy Spirit and the preaching of God's word, has the freewill to either humble under God's grace and influence and obey the gospel to repent and believe or to remain pride and follow his depraved nature.  

• Members
50 minutes ago, mbkjpreacher said:

Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian but a Biblicist.  

Indeed, this is a little more clear than saying, "Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian, but a Baptist," since the Baptists have included whole categories both of Calvinists and Arminians.

As for myself, I would agree -- Neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian, but a Biblicist.  (Although to be precise, I would have to acknowledge that I hold the same as the Arminian on three out of five "points," since those three points are mutually exclusive and only allow for an "either/or" option.  Yet I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian on the other two "points.")

• Members
7 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

Indeed, this is a little more clear than saying, "Neither a Calvinist nor Arminian, but a Baptist," since the Baptists have included whole categories both of Calvinists and Arminians.

As for myself, I would agree -- Neither a Calvinist nor an Arminian, but a Biblicist.  (Although to be precise, I would have to acknowledge that I hold the same as the Arminian on three out of five "points," since those three points are mutually exclusive and only allow for an "either/or" option.  Yet I am neither Calvinist nor Arminian on the other two "points.")

I would stick to the Bible yet I do acknowledge that there are some truths and false held by Calvinists and Arminians and whichever is in harmony with the Scriptures that will I hold.  

• 9 months later...
  • Members
On 2/2/2018 at 6:28 PM, PastorMatt said:

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

'Neither'.

In Christ Jesus, Born Again By The WIll of The Father in Heaven, As Written, 

I am a New Creation.