• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Calvinism or Arminianism? How do you answer?

• Administrators

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

• Members

I tell them I am neither..  After a couple of Bible verses, those are out. Then they try to pin me as a "universalist", "synergist", "pelagian" or "semi-pelagian" but as we get further into the Bible, it shows that I am none of those either. Got any more names?

• Members
2 hours ago, BroMatt said:

I find it alarming that too many people think that there are only two choices here. Neither Calvinism or Arminianism lines up with Scripture.

Unfortunately, it is the almost universal question surrounding this issue - that people believe that you must be either one or the other.

And the minute you argue with a Calvinist, they immediately assume you think you can lose your salvation.

I am always happy to discuss it further, and as has already been said, it becomes plain that I am neither, and there is a third option.........

• Moderators
On 2/3/2018 at 1:29 AM, HappyChristian said:

Heh. Here in this area it's not arminian or calvinist...they just want to make sure we aren't Mormons or JW's.

Yes, here too.  You get good at identifying '...BAPTIST church' really early in the conversation, before they can shut the door on you. :laugh:

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On 05/02/2018 at 5:10 AM, Salyan said:

Yes, here too.  You get good at identifying '...BAPTIST church' really early in the conversation, before they can shut the door on you. :laugh:

Where I am it makes no difference - as soon as they find out you are "religious", they close the door - often mid sentence.....

• Members

I say the Bible makes me a Baptist!  Don't remember what those positions are and don't care to relearn them at present.  It's foolishness to an unsaved person anyway, stick to the gospel and salvation before they're eyes are opened and can begin to understand such things.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members
On ‎2‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, PastorMatt said:

This is a question I get asked ALL the time when knocking on doors...... My current answer is I'm a Biblicist in which they usually say that was not one of the answers, and I say they did not give me enough choices. Then we get into the Bible.

My question is how do you answer this question?

We had a discussion about Calvinism and Arminianism last week in SS which grew out of a comment on predestination. Both my SS teacher and I agree their are tenants from both Calvinism and Arminianism we can agree with. I was born with a spirit of self will (corrupt) and because God's grace allowed for the light of faith, I stand justified in Christ Jesus my Lord. Totally depraved YES - able to choose faith YES. The question's answer... I'm a saved Christian.