• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hunting yummy things

DaveW

• Members

Yes, a 30.06 bolt action kicks like a mule. But you can put together something like a 6.5 Creedmore or .308 on an AR10 platform (sort of like a "stretched" AR15), add a muzzle brake and have a longer-range deer rifle with significantly lower recoil. The buffer/spring design, inside the tube of an AR15 stock, serves as an effective shock absorber and the added muzzle brake uses some of the gasses exiting the barrel to "push" the barrel forward which counteracts some of the backward push of the recoil.

Edited by heartstrings

• Administrators
9 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Pretty neat.  I miss my Remington 700 BDL in .30-06.  My shoulder doesn't though!  Someday I might like another in .243 Winchester or 6mm Remington.  Or maybe .257 Roberts.

I'm more partial to muzzleloaders now, especially the double barrel shotguns and cap and ball pistols.

I have a 6mm Remington I have owned for more years than I care to say. Wonderful caliber for medium size game, flat shooting and great velocity.

• Members
18 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I have a 6mm Remington I have owned for more years than I care to say. Wonderful caliber for medium size game, flat shooting and great velocity.

Cool.  I would enjoy hand loading and target shooting with it.  It is a better cartridge as it holds slightly more powder, though more expensive to shoot.

Still having too much fun, when I get to shoot, with making smoke with black powder! 

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I know this is not actually on topic, because I don't consider them "yummy things", but right now I am hunting mice.

As the weather over here turns to the cooler, wetter times of winter, the mice tends to go looking for dry cover, but this year seems worse than previous, and not just for us, but for others in our neighbourhood as well.

Now, I am philosophically opposed to owning a cat in Australia - they are not native, and they are good killers of native wildlife - but our dog just sits there and watches the mice eat out of his bowl!

So we have been setting traps and putting out baits (in safe areas - well safe for our dog anyway, not for the mice.....).

So in my mind this makes me a hunter - probably more precisely a trapper, but I am not selling the pelts...….?

I didn't think I had it in me to be a ruthless hunter of wildlife......???

• Members

I solved our rat problem with copper.  The rat would leave my attic and start eating out of the bird feeder and I filled him full of copper.  No more rat problem.

We also have a cat problem; one killed a rabbit under that feeder the other day.  Haven't solved that problem yet.

• Members

My wife's cat was climbing on my new truck so we gave him away. After that, you could hear rats gnawing under the house; I guess they were trying to get in. Poison worked for awhile but they came right back. The best thing for rats/mice is a cat, so I got her another one; a neutered female which has taken up sleeping on the hood of one of my tractors or the riding lawn mower. Very friendly kitty; maybe she will leave the truck alone :)

• Members

My donkey, Wilbur, is too mischievous to keep with the sheep. He will chase them. I'm sure he would give coyotes a hard time too. So far, and as far as I know, no coyotes have breached our woven-wire fences, but we often hear packs of them yelping/howling in the woods nearby.

Edited by heartstrings

• Administrators

Andrea, I am not familiar with wild hog at all. A lot depends of fat content. Domestic hogs always have plenty of fat, but since this is a wild hog it maybe like most other wild meat that does not lend itself to much fat, if any.

Having said that, I would try any recipe that is slow cook. The tenderloin should be cooked on the stove top,not roasted. You said it was tenderloin, but did you men back strap, as in pork loin? That is totally different. Tenderloin comes from the inside along the spine and rib section. Pork Loin comes from the same place that pork chops come from which it the back straps along the outside of the spine.

In any case, here is a recipe that I use for pork chops which will come out tender and juicy.

Yummy Pork Chops 

Large deep sided skillet with cover

Begin heating on high heat about ¼” of oil in the skillet

Pour some flour in a bowl

Slice a large RED onion in about ¼” thick slices

Wash pork chops in clear water, do not drain them

Season pork chops with Johnny’s seasoning and garlic powder

Dredge pork chops in the flour, cover them well with flour

Shake off excess flour and brown the chops well

Remove chops from pan, turn fire down to low (number three on my electric stove)

Line the bottom of the pan with whole slices of red onion

Place pork chops on the onion, turn up heat until the chops start to cook again

Pour in one cup of hot water, cover pan and turn down the heat to low again

It should just simmer with cover on, cook covered for 30 minutes

When done remove cover and turn up the heat a bit until the liquid is reduced and caramelized.

You will want some of the caramelized liquid left, it makes wonderful gravy.

• Members

One can also pierce it with garlic and slow cook it Cuban style in mojo sauce covered until the last half hours or so to crisp up the outside and any skin (my favorite part).  We seldom eat it this way as it's a Cuban recipe and my wife is Puerto Rican so she prepares pork according to the way her family has done for generations, I think they call it Pernil.  Still very tender and not dry at all.

If your husband starts bringing home male boars, the gamey taste can be removed by putting the meat in coolers with water and changing it out every day for about a week.  Some do the same with brine water.

• 2 years later...
  • Members
On 2/1/2018 at 7:41 PM, DaveW said:

Never had Caribou ( have flown in one, but that is an entirely different subject!),

Very curious, this.   I've never seen a flying Caribou. 

?

On 5/22/2018 at 8:47 AM, heartstrings said:

Yes, a 30.06 bolt action kicks like a mule. But you can put together something like a 6.5 Creedmore or .308 on an AR10 platform (sort of like a "stretched" AR15), add a muzzle brake and have a longer-range deer rifle with significantly lower recoil. The buffer/spring design, inside the tube of an AR15 stock, serves as an effective shock absorber and the added muzzle brake uses some of the gasses exiting the barrel to "push" the barrel forward which counteracts some of the backward push of the recoil.

Now there's a couple things I've never heard about nor knew.

• Members
26 minutes ago, jeff_student_of_Jesus said:

Very curious, this.   I've never seen a flying Caribou. 

?

Now there's a couple things I've never heard about nor knew.

There are also stocks, designed and made in Israel, which have shock absorbing springs in them. So you can essentially diminish recoil/shock three ways. https://www.fab-defense.com/en/category-buttstocks/id-708/m4-ar15-shock-absorbing-buttstock-w-cheek-rest.html

Edited by heartstrings