• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Hunting yummy things

DaveW

• Members

I like fishing and find it relaxing , rather than boring.

I actually enjoy the act of fishing more than the catching....... but of course I don't rely on it for food.

I am actually happy to catch nothing, just so long as I get some quiet fishing in.

Fishing with kids is NEVER relaxing. :8_laughing:

• Administrators

Bro. Dave, I didn't mean that fishing was boring. I just meant that Halibut fishing was boring. It is entirely possible to sit in a boat all day and not even get a nibble. If you get a fish it is worth all the boring, but otherwise it makes for a long day on the ocean confined to a gently rocking boat.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Dave, I didn't mean that fishing was boring. I just meant that Halibut fishing was boring. It is entirely possible to sit in a boat all day and not even get a nibble. If you get a fish it is worth all the boring, but otherwise it makes for a long day on the ocean confined to a gently rocking boat.

Yep, I get that - but that is exactly the point for me - sometimes the sitting is "interrupted" by the catching.

But other days, I want the catching....... depends on my mood. :4_13_14:

• Administrators

OK, to continue on we’ll look at fresh water fishing and harvesting fish for the family. For my family, fish made up a substantial part of our diet. They are plentiful, free and a great source of harvestable food. Most, but not all of the fish we put in the freezer came from my own fishing efforts. But in the salmon season I could go to native fish wheels and buy salmon very cheaply. As I remember I could buy salmon from the native fishermen for $2 per fish. These are whole Salmon that we had to clean and fillet. My wife would can some of this fish and use it just like we do for Tuna. It is great for sandwiches or chowder.

Some people would consider what I write next as almost a sacrilege. Dog mushing is very popular in Alaska as both recreation as well as a means of transportation. This is where sled dogs are harnessed to a sled and used to transport both people and things like firewood and supplies.

I mention this because Salmon is a major source of food for these dogs. The dog musher will buy or harvest Salmon, grind it up into twenty pound blocks and cook it in water to be served to the dogs in hot water in winter. It is also favored for taking along the trail when traveling overnight, because they can take a whole salmon and just saw off pieces to throw to the dogs when they camp for the night. Now this has nothing to do with my harvest of fish, but I just thought that it would interest some folks because it is something most people never hear of.

Dog+cart+ride.jpg

Where I lived most fishing is done in rivers and lakes. There are many species to choose from in these environments. Some of them are;

Rainbow Trout

Rainbow Trout.jpg

Lake Trout
Lake.jpg

Grayling

Grayling.jpg

Arctic Char

Char.jpg

Dolly Varden

Dolly Varden.jpg

Sheefish

Sheefish.jpg

Pike

hangingfish.jpg

• Administrators

Here is a bit of a quiz for an early Sunday morning. I have to get ready for church, but was going over posts on this thread and thought I would ask this question.

In the picture below we see that the picture has been taken at the exact moment of bullet impact. So the quiz question is this: How would you take a picture in this manner at the exact time the bullet impacted? I know how I would do it because I took this picture, but how would you do it?

weary warrior will probably come up with the answer, he's like that.  :8_laughing:

moose4.jpg

• Members
9 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Here is a bit of a quiz for an early Sunday morning. I have to get ready for church, but was going over posts on this thread and thought I would ask this question.

In the picture below we see that the picture has been taken at the exact moment of bullet impact. So the quiz question is this: How would you take a picture in this manner at the exact time the bullet impacted? I know how I would do it because I took this picture, but how would you do it?

weary warrior will probably come up with the answer, he's like that.  :8_laughing:

moose4.jpg

Now that's what I'd like to know. It seems almost impossible, but obviously it's not. I would like to know. 

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

moose4.jpg

If I was there by myself, I would video the shot, then grab that one frame from the video. However, according to the date on the picture, there would have been limited tech in 1991. So, I'm stumped too.

• Administrators

Well WW, you had it on the money but talked yourself out of it. It was a video taken with one of the old, huge video cameras that used a VHS tape. I did grab that one frame  and what you see is the result.

I just knew you would get it. Unfortunately there is no prize  .  :sorry:

• Members
1 hour ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Well WW, you had it on the money but talked yourself out of it. It was a video taken with one of the old, huge video cameras that used a VHS tape. I did grab that one frame  and what you see is the result.

I just knew you would get it. Unfortunately there is no prize  .  :sorry:

I assumed it was from video, but when he pointed out the date, I fell into line with his thinking.

Basically - "that Jim bloke is pretty amazingly good with a camera - and a rifle!":laugh:

• Members

In the Ashdown forest there is a cull of deer as many have been killed by collisions with cars, and one motorist has been killed by collision with a deer.  There has been outrage by the animal lobby who say there should be a low speed limit through the forest. 

• Administrators

If course there should be a low speed limit. That would allow more deer to live. More deer alive equates to less food for them, which in turn leads to deer death by starvation. The animal lobby never thinks these things through to their logical conclusion.

• 1 month later...
  • Members
On ‎4‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 6:18 AM, swathdiver said:

I know a fellow on a muzzleloading forum who lives in Australia and hunts regularly and even takes those wild donkeys and mules, forgot what y'all call them.

Sorry I missed this first time around.

Yeah, we call em........... donkeys and mules......:laugh:

Wild horses here are called brumbies (brumby - singular), but they are proper horses - generally smaller and stong rather than fast, but they are introduced (early years of European settlement), went wild, and are now just about extinct due to people crowding them out and farmers locking up pasture lands.

I have in the past known people who were involved in muzzle loading - I am pretty sure they would be allowed under current Aussie laws.

I used to know a guy (friend of my father's) who started making replica firearms, and ended up making competition pistols - Olympic grade - in his backyard shed!

But he was never a shooter at all - never hunted anything at any time, and I don't think he ever even fired on a range. His interest was purely technical, and so, his technical skill allowed him to make excellent replicas and competition weapons.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

We don't have any caribou here in Florida, but I hope to put some whitetails in the freezer with my new .300 AAC "blackout". A .300 blk is good for deer-sized game at ranges of 100 meters or less, which is fine in moist cases for around here and you can convert a standard AR15  in 5.56 NATO or .223 to a .300AAC simply by swapping out the barrel... I completely built this one from parts from 4 different companies. 

blackout (2).jpg

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

Pretty neat.  I miss my Remington 700 BDL in .30-06.  My shoulder doesn't though!  Someday I might like another in .243 Winchester or 6mm Remington.  Or maybe .257 Roberts.

I'm more partial to muzzleloaders now, especially the double barrel shotguns and cap and ball pistols.