• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Superbowl Church Services - I'm NOT a fan

• Administrators

Let me start out by saying that I love sports, but rarely watch them anymore but still follow scores on my phone. With the Superbowl coming up next week, I see a lot of churches in this area hosting Superbowl services. They will watch the Superbowl, and have a service at halftime. Have we become so culture orientated that our services are more about culture now than they are about worshiping Jesus?

• Members

Makes one wonder what the content of the so-called halftime message will be, not to mention how the attention to the message would be.  Me thinks that the attention will be little to the message, as most will probably be preoccupied with the events of the game.  

Then you have churches who just totally cancel their evening service all together.  

IMHO, a Super Bowl service is nearly as bad as cancelling the evening service.  It is merely a display of misaligned faith and attention.

• Moderators

The "worship team" must have quite the dilemma.

I mean, think about it:

If I turn the screen off at halftime, how do I know when to stop the service?

If I leave the screen on with the sound off, will folks be distracted by the halftime show?

If I leave the screen on AND the sound on, do I have conflicting songs from the "praise band" and halftime marching band?

If I turn the screen off, will people be watching the halftime show on their personal devices?

If I allot time for bathroom and drink breaks at the beginning and end of the service, how much time do I have without missing 3rd Qtr kick-off?

If I skip the service, these people could be at home.

If I skip the game, these people may very well be at home.

I think I need a raise, will someone make such a motion?

• Members

Maybe they can do the same for the Olympic games...

Seriously, the Super Bowl service is an embarrassment.

I believe the rich young ruler was admonished about having his priorities askew.  

Just sayin.

Oh, by the way, we will be in our regular spots Sunday Morning and Sunday Night and we will have everyone there because my Pastor makes a big deal about showing up for the Lord's Worship on Super Bowl Sunday as a testimony to all who know us.

• Members

We have a similar thing with what is known as the "State of Origin" series in Rugby league.

For those who like Rugby league, it is basically unmissable, and the three game series is always on a Wednesday night.  Some churches cancel services which clash.

We have a couple who are Rugby League mad, but they come to the services on those three weeks and record the game to watch when they get home - and we have a "reporting ban" each of the nights so no one accidentally gives the result to them.

Most people where we are don't care that much - it is mostly an east coast thing.

• Members
2 hours ago, BroMatt said:

Well, this preacher will be home Sunday night on the couch.

Works well for you - I have a sneaking suspicion though, that if (when???) you dos tart having an evening service, that the Superbowl will be recorded, rather than watched live?

Our two main football "grand finals" are both held on Saturday's, so again no Sunday service clash.

I am probably one of the worst off here in that I love formula 1 racing, and it is always on a Sunday - a few of the races clash with either Sunday morning or Sunday evening, and of course, Church services take precedence. Most of the races though, air in the evening after service times for me, so I simply tell the kids that the formula 1 is going on the TV when we get back from evening service, and while they make toasties or something else for dinner, I watch the race......

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, DaveW said:

Works well for you - I have a sneaking suspicion though, that if (when???) you dos tart having an evening service, that the Superbowl will be recorded, rather than watched live?

Yes, that it true, church first. Being a new church we have lunch after the morning service then follow that with an afternoon service. While I enjoy watching football, the enjoyment does not compare to being in church.