• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Missionary Support

• Members

Just a curiosity question:

Should churches be supporting few missionaries for more money or more missionaries for less each month.

A lot of BBFI churches used to have 50-100 missionaries being supported at 25-50/month. When I pastored in Connecticut, we had 25 missionaries at about $25/mnth. I didn't take on any new missionaries until we got our existing ones to $50/month. If I planted a church, I would probably go $100/month per missionary.

My basis of this is simple. It takes about $4k to $5k/mnth for a missionary (May be an old #). At $100/mnth, he needs 50 churches to support him. He could visit every church every other furlough to report back. The negative is that losing 1 church would have a greater impact.
If a missionary gets $25/mnth, he needs 200 churches supporting him. He would never be able to report back to every church. However, if he loses a church, the financial impact isn't as great.

What are your thoughts. Not looking for an argument, just a discussion of pro's and cons of both.

Thanks
Pastorj

• Members

From the other side, there are churches that brag about how many missionaries they support, but they support them each a very small amount. In other words, they support a small amount so that they can have lots of missionaries, so it looks more impressive.

But there is the matter of finding that balance. If a church is supporting a larger $ amount, but then stops that support, it makes a bigger hole.

For us, we support 7 missionaries amounts varying from $150 to $200 per month. 

The other thing to consider is that often missionary support is eroded by inflation. How many of these $20 support churches have not increased the amount in 20 years? 

20 years ago $20 was worth more than today.....