• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Memory trouble

• Members

Please pray for me as I am having trouble recalling certain things to memory or get things mixed up. Sometimes my mind is crystal clear and then there are times when I don't even know what day it is. This one time I went to work on a Saturday thinking it was Friday. I appreciate all the prayers.

• Members

I prayed but isn't getting old normal?  Our kids used to take long naps and get up at 6pm and get ready for school.  I've had trouble with mine more severe in the recent past than at present, I think.  My wife or children would bring something up and I'd be certain unto death that I had no recollection of such until just the right details allowed me to remember.  But I can always remember the torque specs for the engines I used to build, the mean time between failure of the SPS-49V radar, the details of the gas turbine powerplant of a Spruance class destroyer, and other useless things from my past.  

• Members

I am having memory problems.  I often cant think of the word I want.  

My wife an.t remember something I have just said and absolutely denies that I ever said it.  My grandson was here once when she that and he said "He did say that Grandma."  She will also denies we had a conversation a few minutes ago.  What she can remember is the birthday of nearly everybody in the church and family.  I can never remember hers, even when she has dropped hits for a week or so.  I would forget mine if she didn't keep reminding me.

• Members

Maybe your wife has "Savant Syndrome"? I am really good at remembering birthday's too, but always forget mine. Someone had asked me how old I was, and I said 62. In reality I am 61, or so I think. I am really good at citing scripture to where I can tell others the verse and chapter they want to discuss in bible studies, and can quote them to a "T". Then there are other times when I can't come up with the bible verse I wanted to bring up. I look forward to the Eternal State when our glorified bodies will have a brain that can NEVER forget. One of my best friends had asked me a hypothetical question regarding Salvation. He asked me, "What will happen if a bloodbought child of God experiences amnesia, and forgets that he or she is even saved, or know anything about the bible and the Salvation message. Now I'm just guessing and not saying with absolute certainty, but I've never encountered anyone to have total amnesia to the point where they can't remember anything. Even with someone with amnesia, I believe that God will preserve His Words in their hearts and won't allow a child of God to forget that he or she is saved.

• Members
4 minutes ago, (Omega) said:

Maybe your wife has "Savant Syndrome"? I am really good at remembering birthday's too, but always forget mine. Someone had asked me how old I was, and I said 62. In reality I am 61, or so I think. I am really good at citing scripture to where I can tell others the verse and chapter they want to discuss in bible studies, and can quote them to a "T". Then there are other times when I can't come up with the bible verse I .  wanted to bring up. I look forward to the Eternal State when our glorified bodies will have a brain that can NEVER forget. One of my best friends had asked me a hypothetical question regarding Salvation. He asked me, "What will happen if a bloodbought child of God experiences amnesia, and forgets that he or she is even saved, or know anything about the bible and the Salvation message. Now I'm just guessing and not saying with absolute certainty, but I've never encountered anyone to have total amnesia to the point where they can't remember anything. Even with someone with amnesia, I believe that God will preserve His Words in their hearts and won't allow a child of God to forget that he or she is saved.

I have known Christians with dementia. One lady was put in a home when the family couldn't care for her anymore.  I used to take her and her husband out for a ride in the car each Tuesday.  When we used to visit her in the home, she thought her husband was her father, and that another man in the home was her husband and she used to walk hand in hand with him. When I asked her why she did that, she said  "He is my husband."  I said "No this is your husband."  She looked puzzled. It must have been painful to her husband.   She was over 80 and I once asked her how old she was , and she said "I think about 19."

• 8 months later...
  • Members

It's actually much worse than it ever was before. I spent half of an hour looking for something that I would normally place in the same area all of the time. I was going to post something here on OB but now I can't remember what it was. Then there were times when I would respond to a post in the wrong forum.

• Administrators

I imagine this can be quite disconcerting Dan. But it may help to remember that God knows everything we go through. Although this condition may seem insurmountable, we know that our trust in Him is never in vain.

Heb 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 

1Cor. 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

• Members

My memory has improved a bit since last posting here.  I reckon it has to do with my diet which is ever on the increase with fruits, nuts and vegetables.  Everything else is falling apart though!  

My oldest aunt is but a child now, trapped inside her own little world, physically healthy but mentally gone, so much so that she wears a harness to keep her from falling out of chairs.  But the Lord has a plan for a lady in that condition and it may not all be about her, but to use her for His glory.

Both of my grandfathers passed away with their wits about them, their bodies gave out.  One however, suffered a stroke and could not speak but his brain was still as sharp as ever.  Well, nearly so.  He kept driving his car and was having difficulties parking it because of his bad arms, one from child birth, the other from the strokes.  When they took his license away, that was it, he passed soon after.