• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Major changes

• Members

And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things! (Romans 10:15)

How beautiful upon the mountains are the feet of him that bringeth good tidings, that publisheth peace; that bringeth good tidings of good, that publisheth salvation; that saith unto Zion, Thy God reigneth! (Isaiah 52:7)

The feet of missionaries before and after the Great Commission would often travel far and wide to preach the good news of the Gospel; and as a result, their feet would be in poor condition. Their feet are "beautiful" because being in such poor condition as they were showed how far they've traveled to preach the Good News. These men and women would go to great lengths and would travel far distances to share the Gospel.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

Have motorhome, currently moving into it. Had MANY loose ends to tie up, last day at my secular job is this coming Thursday. Have some things to take to our youngest (Musician4God 1611) and see grandkids, other things to deliver to a church in Arkansas. Our middle son is working on our A/V presentation but has had two major snags -- One) his f-i-l's final days on earth. Two) his computer now won't come up for him.

• 2 months later...
  • Moderators

image.png.761583e9ced464e7bf5c82f46638db98.png

The QR should read in spite of your screen.

Or click this link: https://sway.com/jyucmVDzBtzgHiDI?ref=Link

The sway isn't complete yet (9 Jun 2018) but is only missing some photos. You find more info there including reference letters + more.

If you ask your pastor to visit our sway (the video is on it) he can type into his browser the address in the link above (that is an upper case I not a lower case L before the question mark).

• Members

Thanks for the update, the deputation video, link information. I personally like the scripture verse that you wrote on your Prayer Card. 1 Thessalonians 1:9, “For they themselves shew of us what manner of entering in we had unto you, and how ye turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God.”

It is my prayer that the Lord blesses your efforts on the deputation trail and your work in Nicaragua.

Edited by Alan
formatting

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

So, met a pastor in N.GA. He set a date for a meeting without a calendar in hand. When my son was there a week later the Pastor told him, "I have your Dad coming in Sun morning 5 Aug" (again, no calendar there).

Enter today (5 Aug 18), the Pastor said, "I'm not climbing the platform stairs, its too painful. After the offering is taken, the service is your's." He just had back surgery Friday (2 days ago).

Oh yea, "The rest of the story....." he's 86 years old!!!!!!!!!!!

• 10 months later...
  • Moderators

It going (and going and going). 15months in - our target departure date is approaching quickly (before the end of 2020) and our support level is rising at the speed of growing stalagmites. But the Lord has been wonderful.

• 6 months later...
  • Moderators

¡Que interesante! (How interesting!). I assume that the majority of folks here have already learned that the Lord directs and coordinates things without consulting us and sometimes without showing us where it "makes sense". Our job is not to be able to explain or understand "why", but rather to determine that it is indeed Him and be obedient (and without griping, murmuring, disputing - ie. be content and trust Him. Therein lies our greatest failure.)

Anyway, I had the "Holiday Season" approaching, one son and his family were in the lower 48 having a youngun' and we saw them in the Chattanooga, TN area. We were leaving the motorhome in W. Memphis, AR for a month and driving the van to Dodge City, KS to spend a month with 2 of the boys and their families at Thanksgiving while another grandchild was born. My plan was to try for meetings in MS, AL, NW FL, Central FL, S FL as I sought to get to the Miami area where I knew I a definite meeting in Jan. Alas, one meeting in Tallahassee in Jan (500 miles from Miami) and 3 brethren want me in the churches in TN in Feb (875 miles from Miami).

I picked up ONE other Miami area meeting but the pastor was going on vacation and wanted me to fill in the Wed before the meeting (Sun AM). It's an hour and a half from Miami. I developed vehicle problems with the motorhome and couldn't try to book any definite dates due to not knowing when I can be where. I couldn't get peace about cancelling any of the meetings. Not the way I want to spend money (at 5 miles per gallon fuel consumption).

Fast forward: I'm in the middle of the largest Seminole reservation in Florida (Big Cypress) an hour from anything. The Hispanic church we had a meeting at gave us a huge love offering - it covered the expenses of traveling here and up to TN!! The pastor of the church here on the Res is the one I'm filling in for. We found out that this was not "merely" a vacation, 3 months ago they unexpectedly lost their 38 year old son and haven't had any chance to get away, slow down, or grieve. I'm SOOOO glad I didn't cancel for my inconvenience or personal concerns!

The Seminole Indians only became a recognized tribe in the 1957, they were a loose band of Indians from several tribes (mostly Creek) who were hiding from US soldiers and living in the swamps and their descendants. This reservation is in the Everglades. They have a Chairman who may or may not choose to use the term "Chief" - some have , some have not. Their first chairman was a saved man who was also an Independent Baptist preacher! He started this church (Big Cypress New Testament Baptist Church). The large Bible on the communion table was presented to him in 1973 and cost $39.95

• Moderators

The current pastor has been here 15 yrs, he was on another res for 23 yrs prior. About 30 yrs ago he spent 1 yr as the res museum's alligator wrestler. The current main alligator wrestler has attended the church a few times. This Sunday morning he and the Seminole Princess and Jr. Princess are supposed to be in the service when I preach. Please pray, I'm sure they've heard the gospel from Bro. Payne, but Billy (the gator wrestler) is still trying to hold Seminole spirit traditions and play around the edge of Biblical Christianity.

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators

Much has happened in the last two years. We were in E. TN. during the Covid crunch - rare to find a church open yet the Lord gave us a church to park at for 7 months and provided 6 new supporting churches. Nicaragua had an election which Daniel Ortega won (after arresting all his opponents for treason), he has shut down over 20 NGOs because they receive funds from the USA.

Currently we can only get a visa for 3 months per year and the plane tickets are around $4000 per person. As a result, we are going to spend 6 months (Aug - Feb) in Mexico continuing Spanish language learning while praying Nicaragua will open up soon.

As far as I can determine, only 2 IB missionaries are currently in country -- they both already had permanent cedulas. Even they are required to make a trip to the immigration office in Managua every 6 months for "renewal" of a 5 year visa.

I've noticed that (unlike younger missionaries) I don't have people whining to me about how "I'd go, but I'm too old" ?