• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Major changes

• Administrators

Plack Road Baptist Church in North Pole, Alaska always had an annual missionary conference when I lived in Alaska. I have not lived in Alaska since I left in 2003, so I am not familiar with the new pastor there.

This church was started as a mission work out of Rodger's Baptist Church in Garland, Texas. Both Rodger's and  this mission work, which is now a church are solid Independent Baptists. You might contact the pastor from the link of his church's website here.

There are three other solid Independent Baptist churches in the area, which may make a deputation trip there worth while. Each of these four churches were started as mission works and continue to support missions world-wide.

Rodgers Baptist Church has been the sending church for many missionaries over the years. You may want to add them to your list.

Edited by Jim_Alaska
added text

• Moderators

Though I've never met Bro. Dayton personally, I'm quite familiar with him. He originally went to Costa Rica to learn Spanish, one year later went to Managua. One of my national pastor contacts (Her. Ramon Gonzalez Sequeria, Pastor of Iglesia Bautista Renacer since 1974) is a product of Bro. Dayton's ministry. Between 26 known mission boards in the U.S. (there's no way to count the number of missionaries not through boards) there are only 12 missionaries in Nicaragua (6 are BIMI). There are only 188 known IB churches in the country (in comparison there are over 600 in NC and over 800 in TX) and some of them (such as the one in Jinotega) have become Charismatic. 

• Members

Brother, I would be happy to have you come visit us, but it would cost you more than it is worth.

If you can get a "stand alone" presentation together, I would be happy to show it and pass it around my friends, but it is hard enough for Australian Missionaries to gain support.

We can definitely pray though.

• Moderators

When I can later, I will get a multimedia presentation sent to you. I know that prayer support is vital for the missionary AND the congregation. Christians need missions always before them lest it become "out of sight, out of mind". There's something about "the missionary we pray for" or if a youth group or Sunday School class has "OUR missionary".

• Members
4 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

When I can later, I will get a multimedia presentation sent to you. I know that prayer support is vital for the missionary AND the congregation. Christians need missions always before them lest it become "out of sight, out of mind". There's something about "the missionary we pray for" or if a youth group or Sunday School class has "OUR missionary".

Amen brother, amen.

• Members
53 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

We support James Carter in Western Australia.  

I know James.

His dad, Pastor Gaylor Carter looked after the church I was at many years ago while our Pastor was reporting back to his supporting churches.

I went on a Youth canoe trip with James when he was in his late teens and I was in my early 20's.

Later, we went out to a place called Kellerberrin to help Pastor Gaylor clean up a church building and hold some meetings to get things started out there.

James is about 100 miles from where I am, so we don't see other much. Pastor Gaylor is back in the US suffering with age related problems.

One thing is sure - the labourers are few...........

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

So far we have had some interesting adventures and misadventures in Matagalpa. Have been overcharged a couple of times (gringo tax). Made a couple of good contacts in town including a national pastor (Ivis Calindres of Calvary Baptist, Matagalpa) who may be able to help us get our feet on the ground when we move here (they have been instrumental in establishing six churches in the country). Our sending church will be Old Paths Baptist Church in Ruidoso, N.M. (Pastor Joshua de los Santos) and they will be helping our linguistic studies as we seek to raise support. The owner of the house we are staying in is keeping our feet to the fire by forcing us to use Spanish ---- which is good.

• Moderators

Today being New Year's Day, everything (and I do mean EVERYTHING) is closed. Even the two supermarkets that are owned by Wal-Mart (La Colonia and Pali), so I'll wait till tomorrow to buy more food. I walk about a mile, place my backpack in a locker, shop, pay, retrieve the backpack, place purchased items therein, walk back, repeat in about three days. I will also stop at the mercado campesino (farmer's market) on the trip (it's about 1/4 mile off path). Such is shopping in this city of 120,000 people.

• Moderators

A couple of days ago the propane ( for the stove ) ran out in the midst of fried chicken and biscuit cooking, while washing dishes the water quit ( if the city works on the system, they don't give a head's up ) and we had a 7 hour power shortage. Our host's son says, "No gas, no water, no electricity --- Welcome to Nicaragua!"

Due to the holiday, weather ( all clothes are hung outside to dry )and power outage we were in the same outfit for 3 days. Oh, we have 5 days worth of clothes here and this was 2 separate clothing runs ---- at the laundromat. You drop the clothes off, you can't use the equipment. The sink here is too small to be practical for washing and the is no such thing as a bathtub, it's a shower --- most Nicaraguans don't have hot water unless they boil it.

• Moderators

There's no postal delivery here, the local city post office usually doesn't receive your mail (especially packages), and Amazon, Fed - Ex, and UPS don't come here. This is in reference to the whole country.