• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

A clear verse teaching a universal understanding of the word "church".

• 3 months later...
  • Members
On 3/22/2018 at 5:33 PM, Musician4God1611 said:

Bro. Markle, I have to question your defining of Hebrews 12:23, in light of Hebrews 12:22-24 (and the whole chapter as its context). I question it not because I necessarily disagree with you, but rather because I feel that some things may have been taken by assumption. Is there anything in the aforementioned passage that affirms that the church of the firstborn is indeed in the heavenly Jerusalem? It seems rather to only indicate that they are written in Heaven, that is, recorded, but not necessarily present. In the passage, it mentions eight things that the church that he was writing to (Hebrews 13:22-25 indicates that he was writing to a local church) have come unto. 1 - mount Sion. 2 - the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem.3 - an innumerable company of angels. 4 - The general assembly and church of the firstborn (these appear to be one because of the absence of a comma) which are written in heaven. 5 - God the Judge of all. 6 - the spirits of just men made perfect. 7 - Jesus the mediator of the new covenant. 8 - the blood of sprinkling. Now I can see where one might say that these are all in the same place, but does the passage actually say that they indeed are? If they were, why would the church of the firstborn need to be written in Heaven if they already are in Heaven. A lot of this question would be clearly satisfied if we knew for sure to whom the book of Hebrews was written. If it was indeed written to the church in Jerusalem, would that not be the church of the firstborn (i.e. the first church that was started by Christ?). It seems that there is a lot more to this passage then what meets the eye.....

Brother Middlebrooks, it has been a while; but now I have some time.

First, the primary point of Hebrews 12 is for believers (the original audience being Hebrew believers of the first century church-age) not to quit in the face of adversity, but to remain faithfully serving the Lord their God.  Such may be observed in the following verses and phrases:

Hebrews 12:1-6 -- "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.  Ye have not yet resisted unto blood, striving against sin.  And ye have forgotten the exhortation which speaketh unto you as unto children, My son, despise not thou the chastening of the Lord, nor faint when thou art rebuked of him: for whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth."

Hebrews 12:10-16 -- "For they verily for a few days chastened us after their own pleasure; but he for our profit, that we might be partakers of his holiness.  Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.  Wherefore lift up the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees; and make straight paths for your feet, lest that which is lame be turned out of the way; but let it rather be healed.  Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord: looking diligently lest any man fail of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up trouble you, and thereby many be defiled; lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright."

Hebrews 12:25-29 -- "See that ye refuse not him that speaketh.  For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth, much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven: whose voice then shook the earth: but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven. and this word, Yet once more, signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made, that those things which cannot be shaken may remain.  Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved, let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: for our God is a consuming fire."

An outline of the chapter might be as follows:

I.  An Exhortation to Run the Race of Righteousness (Hebrews 12:1-4)

A.  Because we are compassed about with a great cloud of faithful witnesses (as per Hebrews 11)
     B.  Laying aside every worldly weight and any besetting sin
     C.  Running with patience the race that the Lord our God has set before us
     D.  Looking unto Jesus, who authored and finished the race before us
           1)  Who for the resulting joy endured the cross and despised the shame
           2)  Who was exalted to the right of God's throne
           3)  Whose patient endurance we should consider

a)  That we not become wearied and faint in our minds
                 b)  Recognizing that we have not resisted unto blood as we strive against sin

II.  An Exhortation Not to Despise the Chastening of the Lord (Hebrews 12:5-11)

A.  Remembering the exhortation as unto children of God
     B.  Remembering the exhortation not to despise or become faint
     C.  Recognizing that chastening is from the loving heart of our Heavenly Father
     D.  Realizing the importance to subject ourselves under the chastening hand of our Heavenly Father
     E.  Recognizing that God's chastening is for our spiritual profit, that we might be partakers of His holiness
     F.  Recognizing that God's chastening will yield the peaceable fruit of righteousness in our lives if we submit to it

III.  An Exhortation to Pursue Again the Path of Righteousness (Hebrews 12:12-17)

A.  To life up the discouraged hands and feeble knees
     B.  To make straight paths for our feet
     C.  To follow peace with all men
     D.  To follow holiness before the Lord our God
     E.  To ever rely upon our Lord God's enabling grace
     F.  To beware of bitterness in our attitudes (thereby failing of God's daily enabling grace)
     G.  To beware of fornication or worldliness in our pursuits (thereby failing of God's daily enabling grace)
     H.  To recognize that pursuing the path of unrighteousness may result in permanent consequences

IV.  An Exhortation to Serve the Lord our God with Faithfulness (Hebrews 12:18-29)

A.  Recognizing that we now have part in the New Covenant (not the old covenant of Sinai)
     B.  Listening faithfully unto the voice of Lord God from heaven
     C.  Recognizing God's judgment against us if we turn away from His voice
     D.  Recognizing that God's voice now under the New Covenant provides to us eternally unshakable things, a kingdom that cannot be moved
     E.  Relying upon our Lord God's abundant grace to serve Him faithfully
     F.  Striving to serve the Lord our God acceptably with reverence and godly fear

• Members

Second, the passage under question, Hebrews 12:22-24, serves as the second half of a contrasting declaration that encompasses Hebrews 12:18-24, as follows:

"For ye are not come unto the mount that might be touched, and that burned with fire, nor unto blackness, and darkness, and tempest, and the sound of a trumpet, and the voice of words; which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more: (For they could not endure that which was commanded, And if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart: And so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)" 

"But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect, and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel."

Following this is a series of further contrasts, all relating to this original contrast:

Hebrews 12:25 -- "See that ye refuse not him that speaketh. 

For if they escaped not who refused him that spake on earth,

much more shall not we escape, if we turn away from him that speaketh from heaven:" 

Hebrews 12:26 --

"Whose voice then shook the earth:

but now he hath promised, saying, Yet once more I shake not the earth only, but also heaven." 

Hebrews 12:27 -- "And this word, Yet once more,

signifieth the removing of those things that are shaken, as of things that are made,

that those things which cannot be shaken may remain." 

All of this is intended to lead us unto the motivational conclusion with which Hebrews 12:28 beings:

"Wherefore we receiving a kingdom which cannot be moved," 

Furthermore, this conclusion is intended to motive obedience unto the exhortation of Hebrews 12:28-29:

"Let us have grace, whereby we may serve God acceptably with reverence and godly fear: for our God is a consuming fire."

• Members

Third, as we consider the series of contrasts throughout Hebrews 12:18-27 that I have referenced in my posting above, it appears that this contrast is between a circumstance at and on the earth with a circumstance in and from heaven.  There is a voice that spoke (past tense) on earth placed in contrast with a voice that speaketh (present tense) from heaven.  There is a voice that shook (paste tense) the earth placed in contrast with a voice that will shake both the earth and heaven.  Within this second shaking, there is a removing of created things that can be shaken placed in contrast with the remaining of eternal things that cannot be shaken.  Indeed, from the conclusion we learn that the eternal things that cannot be shaken are an unmovable kingdom that we New Testament believers have received.  

Yet all of this contrast between a circumstance at and on the earth with a circumstance in and from heaven began with the more detailed contrast of Hebrews 12:18-24 concerning two different mountains.  This contrast indicates that we New Testament believers have not come unto the first mountain as described in Hebrews 12:18-21, but that we New Testament believers have come rather unto the second mountain as described in Hebrews 12:22-24.  The descriptions of these two different mountains is as follows:

I.  For ye are not come

A.  unto the mount that might be touched,
     B.  and that burned with fire,
     C.  nor unto
           1)  blackness,
           2)  and darkness,
           3)  and tempest,
           4)  and the sound of a trumpet,
           5)  and the voice of words;
                 a)  which voice they that heard intreated that the word should not be spoken to them any more:
                 b)  (For they could not endure that which was commanded,
                 c)  and if so much as a beast touch the mountain, it shall be stoned, or thrust through with a dart:
                 d)  and so terrible was the sight, that Moses said, I exceedingly fear and quake:)" 

II.  But ye are come

A.  unto mount Sion,
     B.  and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem,
     C.  and to
           1)  an innumerable company of angels,
           2)  to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven,
           3)  and to God the Judge of all,
           4)  and to the spirits of just men made perfect,
           5)  and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant,
           6)  and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

Now, that which connects this contrast to the following contrasts of Hebrews 12:25-27 is the reference unto the speaking voice in each case.  However, the point of the contrast which is more key to the question under consideration concerns the contrast that if found between the opening description for each of these two mountains.  It seems clear that the first description refers unto Mount Sinai, wherein the first (old) covenant was established between the Lord God and the Israelites.  Even so, this description begins with the declaration that it was a mount "that might be touched."  This does not refer unto the matter of permission; for in fact they were commanded not to touch that mountain.  Indeed, they were commanded that if any did touch that mountain, such were to be killed for so doing.  Rather, this statement that this first mountain "might be touched" refers unto its nature.  It was a PHYSICAL mountain, able to be PHYSICALLY touched.  The opening description for the second mountain is then placed in contrast unto this.  It is described as "mount Sion" and as "the city of the living God, the HEAVENLY Jerusalem."  In direct contrast to the PHYSICAL mount Sinai, this is the HEAVENLY mount Sion.  This is the city for which Abraham looked, as per Hebrews 11:10 -- "For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God."  This is the city of Hebrews 11:16 -- "But now they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city."  (Note: Both of these verse are within the flow of thought that contextually leads to Hebrews 12.)  This is the Jerusalem of Galatians 4:26 -- "But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all."  This is the New Jerusalem of Revelation 21 -- "And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband." (v. 2)  Even so, the membership of this heavenly Jerusalem includes the following:

1.  an innumerable company of [righteous] angels,
2.  to the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, [including ALL New Testament believers, whether still on earth or already in heaven]
3.  and to God the Judge of all,
4.  and to the spirits of just men made perfect, [Old Testament saints, who are now dead and whose spirits are already perfected in heaven]
5.  and to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant,
6.  and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

You're a member of a local church, I'm a member, all God's chillins is members of local churches, correct? That missionary or evangelist who visited your church and worshiped with you last week is a member of his local church,  but is he not still your brother in Christ? Then you and he are members of "THE Church", the body of Christ, even though it's congregation will only meet as one in the future.. So what's the hubbub all about? The organization which calls themselves the "Catholic"(universal) Church is a false religion of the Devil and we all know that. So why the worry and debate about the REAL Church?

Edited by heartstrings

• Administrators
4 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Then you and he are members of "THE Church", the body of Christ, even though it's congregation will only meet as one in the future.. So what's the hubbub all about?  So why the worry and debate about the REAL Church?

I could possibly go along with calling all believers "The body of Christ", but when the word "Church" is substituted for "body of Christ", as Universal Church people do, I draw the line there.

Why worry or debate? Simply because a wrong term eventually becomes the accepted norm. If I do not hold true to my convictions that the word "Church" describes a local, called out, assembly, I am not abiding by this Scripture:  Jude 1:3  Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. If I do not hold true to this Scripture, I pass on error to those I teach.

The only exception I make is when Scripture speaks of The Church" in an institutional sense. One such example would be this:   Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.  We know that Jesus did not build a single local church, but instead His reference is to the institution He built, which He called His Church.

This is very much like one post above that referenced "The car", as an example of this concept. The reference is not to any one, single car, but all cars in general.

• Members
2 hours ago, heartstrings said:

You're a member of a local church, I'm a member, all God's chillins is members of local churches, correct? That missionary or evangelist who visited your church and worshiped with you last week is a member of his local church,  but is he not still your brother in Christ? Then you and he are members of "THE Church", the body of Christ, even though it's congregation will only meet as one in the future.. So what's the hubbub all about? The organization which calls themselves the "Catholic"(universal) Church is a false religion of the Devil and we all know that. So why the worry and debate about the REAL Church?

Coupla things.

"All God's children are NOT members of local churches. You don't have to join any church to be saved.

According to the Bible (see Acts 2 for instance) you have to be baptized before you are added to the church....... now make that fit with "THE church", as you have called it here. I believe the Bible is AGAINST baptismal regeneration...... (I don't think you are for it by the way).

Why do people want to use a Word the way the Bible doesn't? It only leads to confusion.

The Bible absolutely does talk about all believers, but it uses terms like family, household, citizens, saints, brothers....... not church unless it is a local gathering.

So the fuss is EXACTLY about the real CHURCH as distinct from the false church and false doctrines associated with the wrong understanding of "church".

• Members
15 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I could possibly go along with calling all believers "The body of Christ", but when the word "Church" is substituted for "body of Christ", as Universal Church people do, I draw the line there.

Why worry or debate? Simply because a wrong term eventually becomes the accepted norm. If I do not hold true to my convictions that the word "Church" describes a local, called out, assembly, I am not abiding by this Scripture:  Jude 1:3  Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. If I do not hold true to this Scripture, I pass on error to those I teach.

The only exception I make is when Scripture speaks of The Church" in an institutional sense. One such example would be this:   Mt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.  We know that Jesus did not build a single local church, but instead His reference is to the institution He built, which He called His Church.

This is very much like one post above that referenced "The car", as an example of this concept. The reference is not to any one, single car, but all cars in general.

Ok, well that's what it is if you want to call it that, but it looks to me that the "institution" is both local churches and the entire spiritual body of ALL believers to me, but that's just how I see it; I see nothing wrong with believing that. Just know that I am NOT advocating for any type of earthly/concrete/physical organization of any kind. As I said, for example, the Catholic "Church" is neither of God nor a church. And I will say further; any other  earthly/physical "universal church" organization would a false religion as well.

• Members
16 hours ago, DaveW said:

Coupla things.

"All God's children are NOT members of local churches. You don't have to join any church to be saved. Of course joining a church does not and cannot save anyone. But AFTER one gets saved, they are not right with God if they don't "assemble themselves" with a local church.

According to the Bible (see Acts 2 for instance) you have to be baptized before you are added to the church....... now make that fit with "THE church", as you have called it here. I believe the Bible is AGAINST baptismal regeneration...... (I don't think you are for it by the way).. The thief on the cross never joined a local church, and he was not physically baptized, yet he was as saved as anyone and the local church baptism is only a testimony before others, that you have been saved: It saves no one. But all believers, whether baptized at a local church or not baptized at all,  are spiritually "baptized" into Christ. Galatians 3:27

Why do people want to use a Word the way the Bible doesn't? It only leads to confusion

The Bible absolutely does talk about all believers, but it uses terms like family, household, citizens, saints, brothers....... not church unless it is a local gathering.

So the fuss is EXACTLY about the real CHURCH as distinct from the false church and false doctrines associated with the wrong understanding of "church". What are these false doctrines? Maybe that would help me understand this contention better.

• Members
On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:20 PM, heartstrings said:

I don't disagree with anything you have said in that last post.

The point is that this IS an important thing for people to consider.

The most obvious false teaching that is affected by the loose use of the word "church" is the matter of baptismal regeneration.

Act 2:41-47  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. (42)  And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. (43)  And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. (44)  And all that believed were together, and had all things common; (45)  And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. (46)  And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, (47)  Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Now you will notice for instance that this passage clearly designates that baptism comes before being "added to the church". 

The order is set out in vs 41 (received his word; baptised; added to them - "Them" defined in vs 47 as "the church".

Indeed, almost every "Christian" group points to this passage amongst others to prove that baptism comes before being added to the church - however, those who hold to baptismal regeneration point to this passage with the understanding of the "Universal church".

The order is believe, baptised, added to church. If "the church" is universal, and includes everyone who is saved, then...…. baptism becomes the gateway not to local church membership, but to salvation.

If the church has a "universal nature" , then you have to find a way to remove this passage from that understanding and force it to be only a "local" understanding.

• Members
8 hours ago, DaveW said:

The order is believe, baptised, added to church. If "the church" is universal, and includes everyone who is saved, then...…. baptism becomes the gateway not to local church membership, but to salvation.

If the church has a "universal nature" , then you have to find a way to remove this passage from that understanding and force it to be only a "local" understanding.

A solution is to consider two different baptisms:

1.  A baptism (spiritual) into the "universal" church in the heavens.
2.  A baptism (physical) into a local church on the earth.

• Administrators
53 minutes ago, Pastor Scott Markle said:

A solution is to consider two different baptisms:

1.  A baptism (spiritual) into the "universal" church in the heavens.
2.  A baptism (physical) into a local church on the earth.

lol, now you've done it!  :15_1_63:

I would like to submit this as a direct copy and paste from Scripture, but reserve any comments of my own  about it until a later date.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 
 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 

• Members
9 hours ago, DaveW said:

I don't disagree with anything you have said in that last post.

The point is that this IS an important thing for people to consider.

The most obvious false teaching that is affected by the loose use of the word "church" is the matter of baptismal regeneration.

Act 2:41-47  Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls. (42)  And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers. (43)  And fear came upon every soul: and many wonders and signs were done by the apostles. (44)  And all that believed were together, and had all things common; (45)  And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need. (46)  And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, (47)  Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Now you will notice for instance that this passage clearly designates that baptism comes before being "added to the church". 

The order is set out in vs 41 (received his word; baptised; added to them - "Them" defined in vs 47 as "the church".

Indeed, almost every "Christian" group points to this passage amongst others to prove that baptism comes before being added to the church - however, those who hold to baptismal regeneration point to this passage with the understanding of the "Universal church".

The teaching of "baptismal regeneration"(by the act of physical baptism) is false doctrine. Like I said, the "universal" church is NOT a physical entity, but one is already "baptized"(not physically) into Christ at the moment of salvation.   Physical "Baptism" is only a testimony to others, done at and into a local church as in Acts 2:41-47 In order for you to "assemble yourself together" with other believers, as the Bible commands, you MUST be a member of a "local church". You cannot meet in the "universal" church until Jesus comes back and, since you live "Down Under," it would be extremely impractical for you to travel here to Florida and meet at my local church next Sunday to fellowship with me. However; the term "universal church" isn't in the Bible and neither is "local church" so, why is this a contention?

• Members
27 minutes ago, Jim_Alaska said:

lol, now you've done it!  :15_1_63:

I would like to submit this as a direct copy and paste from Scripture, but reserve any comments of my own  about it until a later date.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling; 
 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism, 

Romans 6:3 KJV
[3] Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

Galatians 3:27 KJV
[27] For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

are you water baptized into Christ or spiritually baptized into Christ?

I don’t know how anyone could be a baptist and not teach the distinction of spirit baptism vs water baptism. Otherwise to be consistent you must believe in baptismal regeneration.