• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thompson Chain Reference Bible

• Members

What is everyone’s thoughts on the Thompson Chain Reference Bible? I really did not like it the first time I saw one, but now I’ve come to realize that it is a great tool for getting into God’s word and digging into it. I have found it stimulates my devotional reading and is very helpful for digging into the different topics in a particular text. I like that it causes you to just move around in the Bible day apart from some notes in the back it has basically no theological bias. 

• Members
1 hour ago, Jordan Kurecki said:

What is everyone’s thoughts on the Thompson Chain Reference Bible? I really did not like it the first time I saw one, but now I’ve come to realize that it is a great tool for getting into God’s word and digging into it. I have found it stimulates my devotional reading and is very helpful for digging into the different topics in a particular text. I like that it causes you to just move around in the Bible day apart from some notes in the back it has basically no theological bias. 

Well, you already know that my choice is in favor of the Thompson Chain Reference Bible, as opposed to other study Bibles. Your assessment above is indeed my reason.

• Members
1 hour ago, Pastorj said:

I like the Thompson Chain. Just realize that most of the notes are based on the Westcott Hort

Not sure how you can make the statement that most of the notes are based on Westcott and Hort? 

1. Most of the study material in the Thompson is simply just topics and cross references, there is hardly any traditional study bible type notes.

2. Occasionally they include an alternate readings for words in the margins from the Revised Version these are not very common though, I just ignore those however.

I am more concerned with the way the Thompson handles Revelation, because the Thompson interprets it as history and not prophecy. But again I read everything with a discerning eye, I like the Thompson because of it's chain reference system that allows me to really dig into topics in the bible. I use the Thompson and ignore it just like I use Matthew Henry's commentaries and ignore his teachings on baptism, calvinism, and prophecy, or how I use Scofield but ignore his teaching son the Gap theory, or how I read Oliver B Greene but ignore how he sometimes corrects the KJV readings, or how read John Gills Commentaries and ignore his Calvinism... I don't even agree with everything my Pastor teaches or says!

The Thompson is a great study bible for those who desire to be serious students of the bible, but just like anything else it must be used with discernment. 

5 hours ago, (Omega) said:

Hi Jordan, 

Can you please explain to me what the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is? I collect bibles and cross reference it from the other bibles that I have to compare the similarities or differences in their footnotes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwbl77qAS8

Edited by Jordan Kurecki

• Members
5 hours ago, (Omega) said:

Hi Jordan, 

Can you please explain to me what the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is? I collect bibles and cross reference it from the other bibles that I have to compare the similarities or differences in their footnotes.

long story short, most bibles will include little letters or symbols in the text above the words, and then you look in the margin and it will reference you to similar passages and such. 

The Thompson however has marginal columns on both sides of the text, and by each verse it has different topics or themes with a number next to the topic. every topic has a number, and in the back there is a list of topics with verse that belong to that topic. In the margins of the text, the margin will give you the next reference in the chain of that particular topic, and you can go through the entire bible looking at the different verses in the topic. It might sounds complicated, but honestly if you look at a Thompson for 5 minutes you will pretty much figure out how it works. the first time I glanced at one I couldn't figure it out, but that was only because I was use to other kinds of reference bibles. Rather than just having notes at the bottom to tell you what to think about a particular passage, the Thompson gives suggestions for different topics contained in a particular verse and will lead you to references pertaining to those topics. It is a great bible for those who actually want to study God's word, and also great for searching out particular thoughts you have as you are reading the bible devotionally. 

• Members

Thank you Jordan for the youtube link and explaining in detail what the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is. I have a Thomas Nelson signature series KJV bible which is almost the same as the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. It is bounded by genuine calf skin leather and costed me $250. All my bibles are like that. I guess I like the smell of calf skin, and it's pliability. I will be purchasing the Thompson Chain Reference Bible and add it to my collection of bibles. The only problem is that most bible these days don't come in the KJV. They are either ESV, NIV, NKJV, or other versions that somewhat distort the Word of God. Thanks again!

• Members
44 minutes ago, (Omega) said:

Thank you Jordan for the youtube link and explaining in detail what the Thompson Chain Reference Bible is. I have a Thomas Nelson signature series KJV bible which is almost the same as the Thompson Chain Reference Bible. It is bounded by genuine calf skin leather and costed me $250. All my bibles are like that. I guess I like the smell of calf skin, and it's pliability. I will be purchasing the Thompson Chain Reference Bible and add it to my collection of bibles. The only problem is that most bible these days don't come in the KJV. They are either ESV, NIV, NKJV, or other versions that somewhat distort the Word of God. Thanks again!

The Thompson is available in KJV

• Members
16 hours ago, (Omega) said:

Then I am certainly going to purchase the Thompson Chain Reference Bible in the KJV. Do you know of any website that sells it, and that it's calfskin bounded?

buy it from Church Bible Publishers, not the KJV store. the KJV store sells them marked up, I would never buy anything from the KJV store, you can find them online other places usually for like 20-30 dollars cheaper. 

https://www.churchbiblepublishers.com

• Members

Thank you Jordan, I really appreciate it. I also noticed that the prices are unbelievably low. It's practically a steal. All my calf skin bible costed me over $200, and the Thompson Chain Reference Bibles in calfskin leather are about 3 time cheaper. Those are the best deals I've seen for any calfskin bibles.

Edited by (Omega)

• Members
Just now, 4everHis said:

Thanks for the heads up for this retailer.  Great prices.  Have you ordered from them before?  Do you recommend them?

Church Bible Publishers and Local Church Bible Publishers (These are two different entities) are both great producers of bibles, they are ministries and their goal is producing high quality bible at cost of production. I am honestly do not like the KJV store, the KJV store purchase bibles from LCBP and CBP and then marks them up and sells them, it seems like all the KJV store does is buy bibles from other retailers and then make them up 30-40 dollars. Do NOT buy from the KJV store.