• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Thompson Chain Reference Bible

• Members
On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 4:09 PM, Jordan Kurecki said:

Not sure how you can make the statement that most of the notes are based on Westcott and Hort? 

1. Most of the study material in the Thompson is simply just topics and cross references, there is hardly any traditional study bible type notes.

2. Occasionally they include an alternate readings for words in the margins from the Revised Version these are not very common though, I just ignore those however.

I am more concerned with the way the Thompson handles Revelation, because the Thompson interprets it as history and not prophecy. But again I read everything with a discerning eye, I like the Thompson because of it's chain reference system that allows me to really dig into topics in the bible. I use the Thompson and ignore it just like I use Matthew Henry's commentaries and ignore his teachings on baptism, calvinism, and prophecy, or how I use Scofield but ignore his teaching son the Gap theory, or how I read Oliver B Greene but ignore how he sometimes corrects the KJV readings, or how read John Gills Commentaries and ignore his Calvinism... I don't even agree with everything my Pastor teaches or says!

The Thompson is a great study bible for those who desire to be serious students of the bible, but just like anything else it must be used with discernment. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNwbl77qAS8

Jordan,

The Thompson Chain was revised a number of times. If you compare the margin notes and the information provided on the bottom from revision 2 or 3 (not sure which one) and the current revision, they are very different in places dealing with salvation and other items. The revisions are coming from the Wescott Hort and the modern translations.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...
  • Moderators
13 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

I have just started receiving promotional emails from "Church Bible Publishers" (CBP).  They had a promotion, recently, that said that for every bible a customer purchases, they will donate a bible to someone who needs it; or something like that.  I was going to purchase a few of the same item number that I have already purchased from "Local Church Bible Publishers" (LCBP), thinking that they were the same ministry.  However, when I searched for the item number (on the sticker in the front of my bible),  it didn't show any results.  I thought this very odd.  Their website also looked very different from what I was familiar with.  I clicked on the bookmark saved in my favorites and it came up with the bible I was looking for and the website was in the familiar format.  After comparing them for a few minutes, I realized that I was dealing with two separate ministries.  However, since I had never initiated any contact with CBP, but only with LCBP, the only way that CBP could have gotten my email address was from the customer list of LCBP.

Perhaps LCBP gave CBP permission to use their customer list, but that seems a bit unlikely to me.  If anyone has any information about this, I would appreciate knowing.  If CBP is using LCBP's customer list without their permission, I don't think I want to give them my business or recommend them to others.

Being at work, I don't have it with me, but I preach from a Bible printed through a church ministry, but don't know if it is LCBP or CBP-got it at a conference-very nice Bible, $40, real leather, wide margins, and basic Bible, nothing more. That's why it is my preaching Bible. 

For study I prefer the New Open Bible, but they don't print it any more, which is weird. The Open Bible is very good, also, though it doesn't have as much study items as the New Open Bible.  I have looked at the Evidence Bible, but they stopped printing it, as well, and they sell for like $100+, and I can't afford that.

So yes, I have a preaching Bible and a study Bible. AND a car Bible.

• Members
17 hours ago, Brother Stafford said:

I have just started receiving promotional emails from "Church Bible Publishers" (CBP).  They had a promotion, recently, that said that for every bible a customer purchases, they will donate a bible to someone who needs it; or something like that.  I was going to purchase a few of the same item number that I have already purchased from "Local Church Bible Publishers" (LCBP), thinking that they were the same ministry.  However, when I searched for the item number (on the sticker in the front of my bible),  it didn't show any results.  I thought this very odd.  Their website also looked very different from what I was familiar with.  I clicked on the bookmark saved in my favorites and it came up with the bible I was looking for and the website was in the familiar format.  After comparing them for a few minutes, I realized that I was dealing with two separate ministries.  However, since I had never initiated any contact with CBP, but only with LCBP, the only way that CBP could have gotten my email address was from the customer list of LCBP.

Perhaps LCBP gave CBP permission to use their customer list, but that seems a bit unlikely to me.  If anyone has any information about this, I would appreciate knowing.  If CBP is using LCBP's customer list without their permission, I don't think I want to give them my business or recommend them to others.

The founder of Church Bible Publishers , Dennis Deneau, was originally part of LCBP, but he left. I contacted the Pastor of the church that is responsible for LCBP and was told they let Dennis go over multiple accusations of misconduct with women. Dennis then went and started church bible publishers. Dennis and his son claim that the church just wanted control of their ministry. I honestly don’t know who to believe.

4 hours ago, Ukulelemike said:

Being at work, I don't have it with me, but I preach from a Bible printed through a church ministry, but don't know if it is LCBP or CBP-got it at a conference-very nice Bible, $40, real leather, wide margins, and basic Bible, nothing more. That's why it is my preaching Bible. 

For study I prefer the New Open Bible, but they don't print it any more, which is weird. The Open Bible is very good, also, though it doesn't have as much study items as the New Open Bible.  I have looked at the Evidence Bible, but they stopped printing it, as well, and they sell for like $100+, and I can't afford that.

So yes, I have a preaching Bible and a study Bible. AND a car Bible.

If it says church on it it is CBP. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members
On 9/10/2019 at 4:39 PM, AntiCalvinist82 said:

Is it true that the thompson chain Bible teaches baptismal regeneration in a Pentecostal sense? If so, what page is it found? Also are there errors i should know of? 

Do they even have study notes, as thought Thompson only had cross references?

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My first KJV bible was a Thompson Chain and I have fond memories of it. I literally slept with it sometimes using it as a pillow. I kind of regret getting rid of it but it was in bad shape. Great devotional bible but I wouldn't recommend it for teaching sound doctrine. I eventually moved on from it to a Ryrie Study Bible than to a Scofield.

Edited by SureWord

• 4 months later...
  • Members
On 12/11/2017 at 7:30 AM, Jordan Kurecki said:

What is everyone’s thoughts on the Thompson Chain Reference Bible? I really did not like it the first time I saw one, but now I’ve come to realize that it is a great tool for getting into God’s word and digging into it. I have found it stimulates my devotional reading and is very helpful for digging into the different topics in a particular text. I like that it causes you to just move around in the Bible day apart from some notes in the back it has basically no theological bias. 

excellent bible to use to study, as it takes into what God stated, not various study notes! And interesting that it was based upon Covenant theology, which many Baptists despises!

• Members
On 6/24/2020 at 7:58 PM, SureWord said:

My first KJV bible was a Thompson Chain and I have fond memories of it. I literally slept with it sometimes using it as a pillow. I kind of regret getting rid of it but it was in bad shape. Great devotional bible but I wouldn't recommend it for teaching sound doctrine. I eventually moved on from it to a Ryrie Study Bible than to a Scofield.

Actually best for teaching, as it would be the word interpreting the word!

• 5 months later...
  • Members

I have to say that I've had a Thompson Chain Reference Bible now for over 38 years. It's time I get a new one, and I need to get another for my wife. I love how easy it is for me to find the references I'm looking for, and it works well with my other study books. I had a Schofield Reference Bible growing up, but I had to switch it out when I went to Fellowship Baptist College. The cover was falling off all the time and I got tired of recovering papers and pages from the floor! ?  The Lord blessed me with a Thompson Chain Reference, and I've used it ever since. I'm surprised it's lasted this long. It is pretty worn and has been used many, many times. I know many don't like the eschatology of either Schofield or Thompson, and that's fine. I'm not all "on board" with everything Schofield taught, especially when it comes to a "gap theory." But, my father liked that theory and studied it for years. I'm not here to debate their views. I have my own that I have been led to believe through my studies. So, I'm not begrudging you your position, nor am I trying to force mine on you. Please, don't try to argue with me or change my mind. I'm looking for a civil place without all the infighting right now. I've had enough of that in other forums. Thank you. Have a nice day and God Bless.