• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

The Existence of GOD

• Members

I must  apologize for the wall of text, but my computer is not working at the moment and I am actually using my son's gaming system, and it won't allow me to separate my words into paragraphs. The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God...(Psalm 14:1). The existence of God can easily be proven using common sense, (sadly which is not so "common") There are several theories on the Universe and whether it had a beginning, or came out of nothing (ex nihilo). First argument would be, did the Universe have no beginning? Is in infinite? Using logic, "infinite" is only a concept in the mind or in mathematics. But we know that the Universe cannot have an infinite regress because the Bible clearly states that God "created" the Universe. Furthermore, if there was such thing as an infinite "past", then we wouldn't be able to say that we are living in the "present" time, because there would be no way to measure time in infinity. A man by the name of David Hilbert demonstrates a good example of why the concept of infinity, which is different from "Eternal", is faulty. He states that if there were an infinite amount of rooms in a hotel which are all full, none are empty, and a new guest arrives at the "infinite" rooms hotel requesting a room, and the hotel owner moves the guest in room number 1 to room number 2, and the guest in room number 2 to room number 3, and so on. As a result, room number 1 would be empty, and the new guest would be able to move in. But all of the rooms were full before the guest arrived. And lets suggest that an infinity amount of guests arrived requesting a room, so the hotel manager moves the guest in room 1 into room 2, and the guest in room 2 to room 4, and 3 into room 6...moving each guest in the room twice his own to infinity. Any number multiplied by 2 will always equal an even number, and as a result, all of the guests end up in the even numbered rooms (e.g., room 2,4,6, etc.). The result is that all of the "odd" numbered rooms become vacant, and the infinity of new guests can now check into those rooms. But before the guests arrived, all the rooms were already full. Thus, the possibility of an infinite number of rooms cannot exist in reality; therefore, there must have been a beginning to the Universe because infinity is only a concept. The Universe consists of time, space, and matter, according to scientists; and whatever came before the Universe must transcend time, space, and matter. Some atheists would argue that the Universe came into existence from nothing, but out of nothing, nothing comes. Nothing can do nothing, and nothing cannot create something. Why does something exist rather than nothing at all? It could have been that nothing would exist and none of us would be here. The very fact that something does exist rather than nothing shows that there had to be a "choice" in making something exist rather than nothing. Abstract things such as the number 3 cannot make a "choice", only a conscious, disembodied mind that transcends time, space, and matter would have to be the cause of making the decision that something will exist. Therefore, it would have to be a disembodied mind which has all power is what it took to create the Universe out of nothing -- hence it would be God. Then there is objective moral value. Atheists would argue that there are no such thing as "objective" moral values. If we were to ask them if murdering their family is evil or wrong, they would reply with an emphatic YES. According to who would this be evil or wrong? the atheist's opinion? a majority agreeing that it's wrong? See...Atheists believe in "subjective" moral values, and once again, this can be proven wrong. Hypothetically, aliens from another planet can wipe out entire cities with their spaceships and eat people and say, "we believe that it is not evil or wrong to eat people and wipe out entire cities." They (aliens) would say to the atheists, "what makes our acts evil?, according to your culture?, it is not evil to eat people and destroy entire cities." And their "moral values" would be no less valid than the atheists, because the aliens subjective moral values are also based upon majority opinion. A man or woman can face a judge in court and say, "It is my opinion that murdering my family wasn't evil because moral values are subjective to me." The judge obviously would not take that as a valid excuse and pardon him. Thus, there would have to be a transcendent anchor point where "objective" moral values must come from. And lastly, the term Atheist is a contradiction in itself. How can they possibly prove that God does not exist? Did they search the entire Universe? What if God was hiding under a rock on a planet in the Pleiades, or on another Galaxy? Did the atheists check there? It's a fact that you can KNOW God and have a personal relationship with Him and His Son, Jesus. The Bible has absolutely NO contradictions, and scripture fits together like a perfect puzzle. When the teachings of the bible are applied to our lives, we can clearly see that His Word is true, and that we can get to know Him in a way closer to us than our family here on Earth.