• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - The Spirit World

Alan

• Members

Chapter 10

“Man's Relation to the Spirit-world”

The Tabernacle

image.thumb.jpeg.839c34dd743d883c1c6889865194b9be.jpeg

page 82

Larkin begins this chapter with this statement, “Man is his physical and spiritual makeup, was made for two worlds, the Physical and the Spirit world.”i Larkin then quotes 1 Thessalonians 5:23 and Hebrews 4:12 in order to show that man is a 'trinity.' Then Larkin states, “From these references we see that man is a Trinity, and is composed of “Body,” “Soul,” and “Spirit.” Man was made in the “Image of God” and God is a Trinity.ii

Afterwards, Larkin gives a general description of the Tabernacle and then begins to state, “The Tabernacle and its courtyard is a type of the “Threefold Nature of Man. The “Courtyard”represents his Body, the “Holy Place” his soul, and the “Most Holy Place,” his Spirit, and as there could be no communication between a man's Body and Spirit only through his soul.”iii The following chart helps explain his teaching.

The Threefold Nature of Man

5a1c001966556_larkinpage84ok.thumb.jpg.a9346f42c92e12d9a92bd1c50a03b6b1.jpg

page 84

Larkin states that, “The outer circle stands for the “Body” of man, middle for the “Soul,” and the inner for the “Spirit,” or what Paul calls the “CARNAL” (1 Cor.3:1-3); the “NATURAL” (1 Cor. 2:14); and the “SPIRITUAL” (1 Cor. 3:1), parts of man.”iv Larkin then proceeds to explain the various notations on the chart in relationship with the three parts of man.

In this overview, we will concentrate on the “Spirit” of man. Larkin states that until a person is regenerated, his 'spirit' is darkened and only the Holy Spirit can give an individual “Life” and “Light.”

Concerning the story of the rich man in hell and the Lazarus, Larkin goes into good detail in his explanation that it was the soul of both men were able to have the same experiences of taste, feeling, speech, seeing, and remembering. Larkin then states, “This proves that there is no break, as “Soul Sleep,” in the Continuity of Existence, or Consciousness, in passing from the “Earth-Life” to the “Spirit-life.”v

The Underworld

5a1c00cdaee96_LarkinSpiritpage88.thumb.JPG.24757b8b0ba444d4233ac35defa79466.JPG

Page 88

Larkin explains the destination of the righteous dead, the destination of the unrighteous, as depicted in the chart on the Underworld. In his explanation, Larkin's main passage is Luke 16:19-31

In his explanation of the chart, Larkin references, with very brief explanations, the following passages (the order of the passages are Larkin's): Revelation 1:18, Matthew 27:53-53, 2 Corinthians 12:1-4, Philippians 1:23, 2 Corinthians 5:8, and 1 Thessalonians 4:14

Please note that Larkin references some other passages concerning the spirit world in the chart.

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 83

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 83

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 85

iv Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 85

v Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 87

Edited by Alan
deleted doubled wording grammer

• Members

Tartarus is a literal place and the demon possessed men and women who really run this world know that it is. You can even find its location in Google Earth. Sounds funny? It is located not too far off from land, and it's in the ocean. What's interesting is that Jesus cast the legion of demons out of the demoniac of Gadarenes, and they went off of a cliff and into the waters. Could this be Tartarus? I recall a demon possessed man on another bible forum who actually drew a map of where he came from. It included caves and underground bases where unclean spirits can access our realm through portals. When I was young, I would see literal portals that would swirl on my bedroom ceiling, and it literally felt like something was trying to pull me in. The entire area within the portal would actually twist. Dark entities, remote controlled cars moving without batteries, things flying off the shelves, and other supernatural occurences would happen.

• Members

I don't think spirits need any holes to get through.  Satan is prince of the power of the air.  His servants will be able to use that medium.

• Ephesians 2:2  Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience.

• Members

They are spiritual portals that can manifest and sometimes can be seen when it enters our realm. What's interesting about the demoniac of Gadarenes is that he was possessed by a "legion" of demons, which is why the demons said "we are many". A legion is in the thousands. If Jesus can save a man possessed by thousands of demons, He can save any and all who will come to Him in repentance and faith; even the most wicked.

• Members

I'm about to leave to do some missionary work in a few hours today, so I'll try to explain this as simply as I can. A little caveat, please don't take this as biblically accurate, and I am not being dogmatic about it. An analogy would be like angels, who are "spirits" and yet they can appear in human form when they enter our dimension, or our Earthly realm. All things in the spiritual realm are eternal (2 Cor.4:18). Your soul is unseen, therefore it's eternal. This verse alone refutes the Annihilation false doctrine. I'm taking a guess that our soul occupies the same spatial area as our body, but in another dimension, that's why it cannot be seen.

• Members
10 hours ago, Alan said:

Afterwards, Larkin gives a general description of the Tabernacle and then begins to state, “The Tabernacle and its courtyard is a type of the “Threefold Nature of Man. The “Courtyard”represents his Body, the “Holy Place” his soul, and the “Most Holy Place,” his Spirit, and as there could be no communication between a man's Body and Spirit only through his soul.”iii The following chart helps explain his teaching.

Please take careful note. Larkin clearly states that his chart on, "The Threefold Nature of Man," that his chart, which includes the portholes, only "represents" the entrance to the various senses, etc...

10 hours ago, Alan said:

“The outer circle stands

And, the Larkin states, "... stands for..." if you look at the charts carefully he states that these port holes 'stand for' and 'represents' the physical attributes of man (sight, smell, taste, hearing, taste and touch. And, imagination, conscience, memory, reason, and affections, are our natural attributes. And the inner port hole stands for our our spirit attributes; faith, hope, reverence, prayer and worship. 

And, in the, 'Underworld' chart, and comments section, Larkin did  not comment on the activities of demons in the earthly realm.

• Members

I'm not sure where Larkin gets his info on the port holes. Where in scripture is this found in? As for I, I am not being dogmatic on port holes, I just know what I've experienced. Sure, experience is not a validation of scripture but it does give some credence, such as our experience with our walk with the Lord. I have probably experienced the spirit world at work more than most people. I have, with my own eyes (no hallucinations, auditory or visual) seen entities coming through portals. I believe these to be interdimensional gateways. The book of Revelation mentions fallen angels that are "bound" in the great river Euphrates (Rev.9:14), this is more likely a portal. By the way, I am not throwing away the baby with the bathwater, and I know that Larkin has some valuable info on the spirit world, but some of what he says cannot be found in the Bible, unless I'm just tired (no sleep last night, handing out food and ministry work). But I did do some research and found no correlation between the physical attributes of man and portals. Larkin and I must be speaking of two different types of portals.

• Members
6 hours ago, (Omega) said:

Larkin and I must be speaking of two different types of portals.

This appears to be the case.

I am working on the overview of Chapter 11, "Soul sleep."

I do appreciate the fine spirit in this study and do hope that the lessons and discussions are fruitful to our lives.

Alan

• Members

Chapter 11
                                                                                                                                                                       Soul Sleep
In the chapter Larkin is primarily refuting the doctrine of “Soul Sleep.” Larkin does not say which religious denominations teach “soul sleep.” For our information, I will add that the two most well known religious denominations that teach some form of “soul sleep” are the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Seventh Day Adventists.

His first paragraph sets the tone  when he states, “The word “Dead” as used in the Scriptures does not always apply to the body. The unregenerate are spoken of as dead. “And you hath he quickened who were dead in trespasses and sins.” Eph. 2:1”i

Larkin further explains the difference between physically dead and spiritually dead by referring to Luke 15:24, “For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.”  And, 1 Timothy 5:6, “But she that liveth in pleasure is dead while she liveth.” 

Larkin gives a good overview of the death of Lazarus, John 11:11-14, and the saints who were resurrected after the resurrection of Christ, Matthew 27:52, to give actual examples of when a saint dies he is 'asleep' but his body is 'dead.'Matthew 27:52, “And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose.” 

As another example to prove conclusively that it is the body that dies at death, and not the soul, Larkin states, “In Acts 7:54-60, we have the account of the death of Stephen, in which we are told that Stephen as a result of the stoning he received “fell asleep,” that is, he died. But the words  “fell asleep” cannot mean that Stephen's soul passed into a state of unconsciousness, for in verse 55 we read that “Being full of the Holy Ghost, he looked up steadfastly into Heaven, and saw the 'Glory of God,' and JESUS standing on the right hand of God.” And in verse 59 we are told that Stephen in dying said - “Lord Jesus receive my “SPIRIT.”ii Larkin then gives the further example of the Lord Jesus in Luke 23:46, “And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.”The Spirit of the Lord Jesus was given to God at death and the body of the Lord Jesus was buried. 

As further examples that 'soul-sleep' is an incorrect belief, Larkin uses the example of King David (Acts 13:36) when he died that it was his 'body' that experienced corruption  and not his soul. Acts 13:36, “For David, after he had served his own generation by the will of God, fell on sleep, and was laid unto his fathers, and saw corruption.” 

Larkin then refers the reader to the example of the thief who died on the cross, and trusted in Christ as his Saviour, was given the express hope on a home in Paradise that same day:  “And he said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, To-day shalt thou be with me in paradise.”  Luke 23:42 & 43 Larkin then discusses 1 Corinthians 15:20

I also would like to quote Larkin when he expresses this great hope of every saint, “While the bodies of Jesus and the Penitent Thief still hung on their respective crosses, their spirits were in communion in Paradise.”iii Dearly beloved brethren, Larkin is entirely correct. When a saint dies, at the moment of death, before anyone even realizes that he is dead, the soul is in Paradise - Heaven. 

Larkin proceeds with explaining that the most common biblical reasoning for teaching soul sleep is by Old Testament references. The denominations that teach soul sleep, for the most part, ignore the New Testament passages that clearly show consciousness, for the regenerate and for the unregenerate, after death.  After referencing the Old Testament passages that these denominations use, Larkin proceeds to clearly biblically prove that they do not teach 'soul sleep.'

Genesis 25:8, “Then Abraham gave up the ghost, and died in a good old age, and old man, and full of years; and was gathered to his people.” 
Genesis 35:29, “And Isaac gave up the ghost, and died, and was gathered unto his people, being old and full of days: and his sons Esau and Jacob buried him.” 
Psalm 6:5, “For in death there is no remembrance of thee: in the grave who shall give thee thanks?” 
Ecclesiastes 9:5, “For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.” 
Ecclesiastes 9:10, “Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it will all thy might; for there is not work, nor device, nor knowledge, now wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.”

Concerning the statement, “… and was gathered to his people ...” in Genesis 25:8 and 35:29, Larkin states the correct meaning of both verses, “What “Gathered to His People” means is, that the soul of Abraham went to the “Underworld” (Sheol), where the souls of his ancestors had gone, and where he would be united to them. The same additional statement is made of Isaac (Gen. 35:29), with the additional statement, “and his sons BURIED HIM.” thus showing that while his “soul” was “Gathered to his people” in the Underworld,” his body was buried in the “Cave at Machpelah. Gen.49:29-31” iv

Larkin further shows that this is the correct (and only logical), meaning by referencing Genesis 37:29-35

Larkin then proceeds to the same situation with Moses and Aaron. Both were 'gathered to his people' but their bodies were buried nowhere near their people: Numbers 20:23-29 and Deuteronomy 34:1-6. Therefore, the only conclusion is that their 'souls' were, 'gathered to his people.' Larkin brings out that the Lord Jesus stated that God is the God of the living; not of the dead. Mark 12:26 & 27

Larkin correctly states that the context of Psalm 6:5, Ecclesiastes 9:5 and 10, is clearly stating obvious temporal facts; not the consciousness of the soul after death. Larkin furthers states that Ecclesiastes is clear that it is the body that goes to the grave and the spirit that returns to God at death:  “Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.” Ecclesiastes 12:7

Larkin reviews the story of 1 Kings 17:17-23 and the raising of  son of the widow of Zarephath. 1 Kings 17:21 & 22,”And he stretched himself upon the child three times, and cried unto the LORD, and said, O LORD my God, I pray thee, let this child's soul come into him again. And the LORD heard the voice of Elijah; and the soul of the child came into him again, and he revived.” The body of the child was dead but the soul of the child was alive and when the soul of the child came into the child again the child was alive.

Larkin finishes the lesson with the raising up of Jarius' daughter: Luke 8:49-56, “… Her SPIRIT came again.” The spirit of the daughter was alive and when God returned the spirit of the daughter to her body the body lived. Therefore, the spirit of the daughter never died; only her body died.

Throughout the study of 'soul sleep' Larkin biblically, and clearly, shows that this belief is totally erroneous. Larkin also gives the saint the profound biblical hope of being conscious in heaven after death. 

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 90

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 92

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 93

iv Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 93

• Members

When I fell 4 stories several years back, I blacked out because the pain was too excruciating. I ended up in the hospital a few moments later. When I had surgery, it took 8 hours at least to put metal plates and screws in my legs and ankles, but after the surgery was complete, it seemed like just 1 second. This is how the "Christian" cults believe it will be like in soul sleep. But there's a huge problem and scripture can easily refute it. It's sad that such "Pastors" such as Joyce Meyer believe in soul sleep. She said the word "To day" in Luke 23:43 did not mean that very same day. She misquotes, "Verily I say unto thee today, shalt thou be with me in paradise." She's essentially saying that Jesus was only telling the repentant thief that He was telling him today, he will be in paradise. Not as if Jesus was telling the thief that he will be in paradise today (that same day). Note where she adds the comma. That is very poor exegesis! It is found 10 times in the New Testament where the comma appears after "unto thee" (Matt.5:26; 6:2; 26:34; Mk.14:30; Lk.23:43; Jn.3:3,5,11; 13:38; 21:18). Why ONLY in Luke 23:43 would she change where the comma should be? She knows close to nothing with regards to biblical hermeneutics and interjects her own interpretation when the bible is explicit in its context. Furthermore, Paul says in Philippians 1:21, "For me to live is Christ, and to die is GAIN." Moreover, Paul says, "ABSENT from the body, and to be PRESENT with the Lord." (2 Cor.5:8). A close Christian friend of mine actually died and came back to life through prayer -- it was truly a miracle. And I can  assure anyone that he was indeed physically dead, in the coffin. He said IMMEDIATELY after he died, he saw a white light and a tunnel. And as he progressed further into the tunnel where the angels were (they were huge orbs, some gold, some silver, depending on rank, and can take human form) and there was an indescribable love that cannot be compared to here on Earth, and it was emanating from the orbs. But he said it was just like walking through a door, there was no lapse of consciousness whatsoever. I know experience does not equate to scripture, but it seems highly plausible that what he went through was most likely biblical. 

Edited by (Omega)
Grammar

• Members

On a side note: It can be absolutely proven that life exists after death. We are NOW living and breathing conscious beings and are aware of the present and the past. If we have no consciousness after death and/or are annihilated, then we would not be able to recall the past or the present because we have no consciousness at all because we don't exist. The very fact that we have a conscious NOW proves that we exist after death, otherwise we wouldn't be cognizant of anything in the here and now. Also, if we cease to exist after death, then what's to worry about? We're not going to say to ourselves, "I might go to hell" because we do not exist. A man or woman can murder a 100 people and then just take their own lives and it would make no bit of a difference at all to that person, because that person would face no consequences for their sins. Even if murdering 100 people would affect the lives of millions, ULTIMATELY, it wouldn't matter in the end because the end game would result in the destruction of the Universe and it will amount to nothing.

Edited by (Omega)
Additional info

• Members
6 hours ago, (Omega) said:

Furthermore, Paul says in Philippians 1:21, "For me to live is Christ, and to die is GAIN." Moreover, Paul says, "ABSENT from the body, and to be PRESENT with the Lord." (2 Cor.5:8).

Thank you for your testimony, the information concerning Joyce Meyer, and our 'consciousness'

The quote from Paul in Philippians 1:21and 2 Corinthians 5:8 is a special blessing and is a welcomed addition to the study on soul sleep.

• Administrators

Larkin did an excellent job on this subject. The belief that we simply cease to exist at death rests entirely on a misunderstanding of Scripture, a total rejection that man has a spirit and taking Scripture out of context. This belief system goes hand in hand with a denial of a real hell. Both views are taught by JW's.

If there is no real hell and we just cease to exist at death, there is no point to redemption, or the need for it. If there is no need for redemption then there is no point or need for The Bible or its teaching that man is lost and undone and in need of a Savior. After all, if we just blink out of existence, what need is there for "Eternal Life"?

Needless to say, I really enjoyed this part of Larkin's study on the Spirit World. Thank you Alan for bringing out the points you did in your review.

• Members

Bro Jim brings up a good point that there would be no point for Jesus' death on the Cross if their were no ramifications for the just and the unjust (1 Cor.15:16,17). As conscious beings that we are, it is impossible to think of non-existence after death. If we did not exist after death, we obviously wouldn't say, "I might not exist after death." As a living being that we are, and as a conscious being that we are; let us try to imagine non-existence after death. It seems impossible, because it's not true. The Word of God states that man became a "living" SOUL (Hebrew word nephesh; Gen.2:7) which means having a conscious, will, and emotions, etc.. The soul cannot cease to exist as the "Christian" cults such as JW's believe happens to unbelievers. They will counter argue citing Matthew 10:28, "...fear him which is able to DESTROY both SOUL and body in hell." The word for "destroy" is (apollumi) in the Greek, and it does not mean a state of non-existence. It means, "lost, or perishing"). If someone wrecked my car and said to me, "Sorry...your car is destroyed, I wrecked it.", does that mean that my car ceases to exist? and that there isn't even a scrap of metal left? Obviously not. It is in a state of utter ruin. All bodies will be resurrected and suited for Eternal Life or Eternal Punishment. It says it twice for emphasis by Jesus Himself that "their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched." (Mk.9:44,46). Worms, or maggots, feed on rotting flesh...now if their unregenerate resurrected body ceases to exist, what then do the worms feed on if the worms never die? It states that THEIR worm DIETH NOT. The worms never ceases to exist. And If their worm never ceases to exist, then the unregenerate resurrected body must also never cease to exist because the maggots would have to feed on something. Moreover, it's "their" worm that never dies. Jesus spake on hell more than he did on heaven, and that is because it is to warn us of the dangers and consequences of it, and because he loves us. All bodies will be resurrected (unregenerate and saved - Dan.12:2; Matt.25:46; Acts 24:14,15). In Daniel 12:2, the same word "everlasting" (olam) is used for "everlasting" life and "everlasting contempt", in the very SAME verse. The context is irrefutable. If everlasting contempt is not truly everlasting, then neither is life; but we know that's not the case. Atheists would argue the question, "what will life be like after we die? Nothing, it's the same as how you were before you were born." This is an erroneous  assumption. Before we existed, we had NO "conscious", but when God made mankind living souls, they were given a conscious. A very poor analogy on their part. We will live forever whether we like it or not. I recall several years back when I actually left my body,...don't know how it happened; but I saw my body sleeping on the bed, went outside and saw a package which was delivered to me. Now, I did not know it was there or had any idea when the package arrived, but when I awoke, the first thing I did was open my front door only to see the package on its side just as when I left my body. I also saw a tall figure that was all white and appeared to be glowing. I can't find this anywhere in the bible regarding this experience so I am uncertain as to why this happened. And lastly, God has placed the world or eternity in out hearts. (Ecc.3:11).

Edited by (Omega)
Additional info