• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - The Spirit World

Alan

• Members

It is an impossibility for someone to be a Christian and continually deny and reject the Deity of Christ. The bible states that God pledges to preserve a believer's Salvation by permanently indwelling them with the Holy Spirit.

In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. (Ephesians 1:13-14)

Jesus said: 

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. (John 16:13-14)

If someone claims to be a Christian and denies the Deity of Christ is doing just the opposite of what Jesus said the Holy Spirit would do. . . i.e., to GLORIFY and EXALT Jesus. So lowering Him to the status of a created being is clear indication that this professing "Christian" does not have the Holy Spirit, and therefore is not saved. The Word of God states that this individual who rejects the Deity of Christ has an Antichrist spirit instead of the Spirit of God.

Who is a liar but he that denieth that Jesus is the Christ? He is antichrist, that denieth the Father and the Son. (1 John 2:22)

But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. (Romans 8:9)

I'm working on refining my posts so they can be clearer to understand. I hope any of this makes sense.

Edited by (Omega)

• 2 months later...
  • Members
On 1/19/2018 at 4:56 PM, (Omega) said:

As I was going through this thread page by page, I came across this post regarding the Trinity. I would say that Matthew 3:16,17 is one of the strongest verses in scripture proving a Triune Godhead as Jim pointed out. The Triune God (cf. 3:22; 11:7) is mentioned in the first book of the Bible.   

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:26) 

There have been controversy over whether or not the word "us" used in the above verse refers to the Trinity. Some will say that it is an example of a "majestic plural", and that the ancient Hebrews also used the plural of majesty in ancient times. However, this did not exist at the time of Moses (who authored Genesis), so it cannot refer to a royal majestic. Furthermore, outside of scripture, the plural of majesty was first used in the 18th century when Anglo-Saxon kings and queens would refer to themselves as "we" or "our"; and it's another reason why it cannot refer to a plural of majesty. Some have also suggested that "us" is referring to God and His angels; however, angels cannot CREATE MAN -- only God can and did... therefore it cannot refer to angels. This is pretty much an irrefutable argument regarding the Triunity of God. I apologize if I derailed your thread, Alan. Eternal Security and the Deity of Christ are some of my favorite topics I'd like to discuss with like-minded Christians such as yourself.

God Bless!    

On 1/31/2018 at 7:04 PM, Alan said:

Omega,

You did not derail this thread.

The second chapter of Larkin's, "The Spirit World," was on, "The Tri-Unity [ or Trinity ] of God."

At the beginning of this overview, I did not comment much on the first three chapters. And, at the time, no discussion was initiated by anyone reading this overview.

If you, or anybody else, would like to go back and discuss further the first three chapters; Chapter One is on the nature of the angels (Michael, Gabriel and Satan); Chapter 2 is on the Trinity; and Chapter 3 is a full chapter on Satan.

Alan

Daniel, and other concerned brethren,

I am working on a more fuller study on Larkin's, Chapter 1, "The Spirit World," Chapter 2, "The Tri-Unity (the Trinity), of God," and Chapter 3, "Satan," than I allowed for at the beginning of this study in order to bring out any details that need to be dissussed in these three chapters.

Looking forward to a discussion on on these three subjects.

Alan

• Members

Chapter 1

The Spirit World.”

Introduction

Except for a quotation of Ezekiel 1:4-14, and, “John's Living Creatures,” Rev.4:6-8, with an accompanying hand drawn picture, there are not charts in chapter 1.

Although there is no chart in Chapter 1 giving us details concerning, “The Spirit World,” the following charts that I have listed may be of a help to the reader concerning this chapter.

The chart on Satan, Chapter 3, page 9 (in Larkin’s book). This chart was already uploaded on page # 1, posted on November 3, 2017, in this study.

The chart on, “The Heavens, Chapter 6, page 49, (in Larkin’s book). This chart was already uploaded on page # 1, posted on November 8, 2017, in this study.

The chart on, “The Underworld,” Chapter 10, page 88 (In Larkin’s book). This chart was already uploaded on page # 2, posted on November 27, 2017, in this study.

The chart on, “The Judgments,”Chapter 19, page 146 (in Larkin’s book). This chart was already uploaded on page # 3, posted on January 7, 2018, in this study.

Overview

Larkin brings our a very important fact about the scriptures that is very obvious, but, somewhat neglected. Larkin states in his first sentence, “The Scriptures are full of the “Supernatural.”i

Larkin states an important fact concerning the “Spirit World,” The “Heavenlies” are peopled with Spirit Beings. There are of two classes, good and evil. They are classified as “Seraphim,” “Cherubim,” “Angels” (Good and Bad), “Principalities,” “Powers,” “Age Rulers of Darkness,” “Wicked Spirits,” (Eph. 6:12), “Thrones,” “Dominions,” (Col. 1:16), “Fallen Angels,” (2 Pet. 2:4), “Spirits in Prison,” (1 Peter 3:18-20), “Demons,” “Seducing Spirits.” 1 Tim. 4:1.”ii

Below are the Scriptures Referenced by Larkin

• Ephesians 6:12, “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities,against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

• Colossians 1:16, “For by him [ Jesus ] were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in the earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him.”

• 2 Peter 2:4

• 1 Peter 3:18-20, “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a-preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.”

• 1 Timothy 4:1 and 2, “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron.”

Angels

Larkin then proceeds to list some examples of the work and nature of angels.

• Innumerable: Hebrews 12:22

• Mighty in power:2 Thessalonians 1:7

• They excel in strength(no scripture reference given but supplied by Alan): 2 Kings 19:35; Matthew 28:2 and Revelation 20:1-3

• Glorious: Luke 9:26

• Have great knowledge (no scripture given).

• Ministering Spirits: Hebrews 1:13 & 14

• Executioners of God’s wrath: 2 Thessalonians 1:7&8

• Gather the Elect of Israel: Matthew 24:31

• Supplied the physical needs of God’s people: Matthew 4:11 and 1 Kings 19:4-8

Three Great Leaders

Larkin studies three great angels that are leaders.

1. Michael

Michael is called a “prince” in Daniel 10:13, 21 and 12:1

In Jude 9 Michael is called the archangel.

Larkin states, “...in command of the, Angelic “Army of Heaven.”iii

Associated with the resurrection of the dead: Daniel 12:1 & 2 and with the resurrection of Moses in Jude 9. And associated with the voice of the “archangel” in the resurrection of the saints in 1 Thessalonians 4:16. Larkin states that the voice of the archangel will be Michael as he is the only angel called an “archangel.”

2. Gabriel.

Larkin states that it seems Gabriel is associated with the redemptive work of God.

Gabriel appeared to Daniel in Daniel 8:16 and 9:21-27. And, to Zacharias, Luke 1:11-20, and then to Mary in Luke 1:26-38.

3. Satan.

Larkin mentions that Satan is evil in character and the source of all the anarchy and rebellion in the universe. Larkin will cover the character, and work, of Satan more fully in Chapter 3.

Larkin does mention that we are warned that our warfare is against the, “Principalities and Powers of Evil,”iv and references the reader to Ephesians 6:12 and to Job 15:15

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 1

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 1

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 3

iv Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 3

Edited by Alan
reference

• Members

Michael the Archangel and the Coming of the Christ for the Church

Associated with the resurrection of the dead: Daniel 12:1 & 2 and with the resurrection of Moses in Jude 9. And associated with the voice of the “archangel” in the resurrection of the saints in 1 Thessalonians 4:16. Larkin states that the voice of the archangel will be Michael as he is the only angel called an “archangel.”

Here are the two verses in question:

Jude 9, “Yet Michael the archangel, when contending with the devil he disputed about the body of Moses, durst not bring against him a railing accusation, but said, the Lord rebuke thee.”

1 Thessalonians 4:16, “For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first.”

I am also of the persuasion that the voice of the archangel spoken of in 1 Thessalonians 4:16 is that of Michael the archangel as written in Jude 9.

Are there any thoughts concerning this matter that anybody wants to bring out?

Alan

Edited by Alan
deleted unnecessay sentence

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

My apologies Bro. Alan. I had good intentions in the beginning of this thread, but since then have not followed it as I should. We had a semi crisis in that we had to vacate our residence without much notice and finding a new residence was extremely difficult. Couple that with two old people trying to do the actual packing cleaning and moving and the situation became almost impossible.

We have it done now and are living among the boxes with pathways between. So, sorry to say that I have nothing to comment on in this thread which I had every intention of keeping up with.

• Members

Jim,

I fully understand. I will delay uploading the next lesson for a day or so in case you would like to comment on any previous lesson.

To our new Brethren on OnLineBaptist,

I noticed that lately we have had several new brethren join the OnLineBaptist forum.  Welcome! Please feel free to comment on any of the previous Overviews / Lessons, on our study of Clarence Larkin's book, "The Spirit World."

Alan

• Administrators
On 11/10/2017 at 8:37 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Bro. Alan. I am behind you in my reading of Larkin's work. But since you stated that you would like other's comments as thoughts came to them I thought I would make a short comment on something that I have often taken exception with.

It has to do with Larkin's observations in his section on the Tri-Unity of God. I speak specifically of his assertion that The Trinity was present at the Baptism of Jesus.

While I do believe that The Trinity was present at the Baptism of Jesus and that this is a strong proof verse for the argument that there is a Trinity, I take strong exception with Larkin and most others teaching that the "HOLY SPIRIT" was present in the form of a "Dove." Mat 3:16-17.

While my views in opposition to this teaching are not something that I would break fellowship over, I do believe that for the sake of clarity and proper "rightly dividing" I have always taken exception to this teaching regarding the form the Holy Spirit took in this Scripture.

John clearly says that he saw The Spirit of God "descending like a dove." To me this speaks expressly to the manner in which The Spirit of God descended, not the actual form He descended in.

I hope my observation and understanding does not seem too "picky', but this has always been my point of departure with the teaching of most on this subject. It is because of this one verse that we see The Holy Spirit depicted by most teachers and writers as a dove in picture form in their work.

Bro. Alan and others following this thread. I find it is confession time. To say I am chagrined at my comments in the quoted post I made would be an understatement. In looking back over this book review I also looked at my comment and upon further examination (which I should have done originally) I see something that causes me to reexamine my position on this particular subject regarding how the Holy Spirit descended.

I find I am actually embarrassed at this late date by my lack of proper study before presenting a personal interpretation.

While Larkin was expressly quoting from Mat. 3:16-17  and his referenced Scripture does indeed state that the Spirit "descended like a dove." and does not say it was in the form of a dove, there is a Scripture that expressly does say it was "in the form of a dove."   Luke 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.

While Larkin could have done a better job of referencing, I was guilty of poor study methods and not thoroughly studying the subject. In my own pitiful defense I admit that although I held to a personal belief, I had never actually done a study on the subject. I just took exception with the idea of it being in the form of a dove based solely on the Scripture in Mat 3;16-17

My sincerest apologies to one and all. I also admit to being surprised that no one else caught my blunder.   :4_13_13:

• Members

The Spirit World

Chapter 2, “The Tri-Unity of God”

Overview

There are no charts in Chapter 2.

Larkin states, “One of the great “Mysteries” of the “Spirit World” is the “TRI-UNITY” of God. The Scriptures clearly teach the distinct personality of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.”i

Larkin gives three verses as references and then comments on them in order to show that the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit acted as one entity.

1. Matthew 3:16-17, “And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”

2. Genesis 1:26, “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”

3. Genesis 11:7, “Go to, let us go down, and there confound their language, that they may not understand one another’s speech.”

Additional References by Alan Concerning the Trinity

I would like to add 1 John 5:7 as a reference to this study. 1 John 5:7, “For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.” 1 John 5:7 clearly states that the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are one.

Larkin’s Illustration of the Sun

In an effort to give an example of the Trinity of the Godhead, Larkin proceeds to give us the illustration of how the Sun of our solar System is a “trinity.”

Larkin states, “The “Sun” of our Solar system is a “Trinity.” It manifests itself in a “Threefold” manner, “Heat,” “Light,” and “Chemical Action.” These three properties of the Sun make up the Sun itself. Neither one of them by itself is the Sun. The “Heat” of the Sun is not seen, but is felt. The “Light” of the Sun can be seen, and it is the “Light” of the Sun that makes the Sun VISIBLE. The “Chemical Action” of the Sun can neither be seen nor felt, but its power is revealed in the growing plant, and on the photographic plate.”ii

Larkin then states that the Heat of the Sun corresponds to the Father as the Father cannot be seen but He can be felt by His love towards us. Larkin references 1 John 4:7-16 and John 3:16

Larkin states that the “Light” rays of the Sun correspond to God the Son. God the Son, the Lord Jesus was “visible” and came to manifest the love of God (invisible). Larkin references three passages.

(1) 1 Timothy 3:16, “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.”

(2) John 8:12, “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.”

(3) John 14:9, “Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?”

Larkin states that the “Chemical Action” of the Sun correspond with the Holy Spirit. Larkin states, “It is the Holy Spirit that gives life and power on the sensitive plate of the “Human Heart.”iii

Additional References by Alan Concerning the Holy Spirit

I would like to add that it is the Holy Spirit, through the scriptures, convicting the hearts of the lost to be saved, guiding the saint to the truths of the scriptures, comforts us, and gives us power to witness.

1. John 16:8, “And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment: Of sin, because they believe not on me; Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more; Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.”

2. John 16:13, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.”

3. John 16:13, “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.”

4. Acts 1:8, “But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.”

The Manifestation of the Trinity in the Old & New Testaments

Larkin continues his illustration with the Sun and the Trinity by explaining how the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit manifested the unity of the Trinity it dealing with the sons of men on the earth. Larkin references two New Testament passages.

1. Matthew 28:20, “Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.”

2. John 16:7-14

Additional Thought by Alan Concerning the Manifestation of the Trinity

Typically, as with the other subjects in this book, Larkin does not go into a lot of detail concerning the manifestation of the Trinity in the Old Testament. This is partly due to the length of the Old Testament and the manner in which God worked. It is my opinion that this was done purposely in order to give the individual reading the book just the basic thought and guiding the reader to further study on his own.

Here are a few of the passages of the Old Testament concerning the manifestation of the Trinity, or the Tri-Unity, of the Godhead.

1. Genesis 1:1-3

2. Genesis 1:27 & 28

3. Genesis 18:1-33

4. In Genesis 24:1-67 we have the moving story of Abraham (a type of the Father), the servant (a type of the Holy Spirit), seeking a bride for Isaac (a type of the Lord Jesus), working in perfect unity. “And he [the servant] said, Blessed be the LORD God of my master Abraham who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the LORD led me to the house of my master’s brethren.” Genesis 23:27

5. In Ezekiel 1:1-28 we have a clear teaching of the working of the Trinity in perfect Unity.

The Tri-Unity of God.”

Larkin states that man, who was made in the image of God, is a trinity. Larkin references two verses.

1. 1 Thessalonians 5:23 “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.”

2. Genesis 1:26, “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.”

Additional Information by Alan Concerning the Trinity of Man

On page 85, in Chapter 10, “Man’s Relation to the Spirit-World, Larkin has a chart that may be beneficial to your understanding of the trinity of man. The chart is located on page 2 of this overview.

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 5

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 5

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 6

Edited by Alan
parenthesis changed passage

• Administrators

Bro. Alan, 

Larkin's illustration of the sun seems a bit cumbersome and possibly complicated for some to fathom.

I like the old standby of an egg for illustrating a trinity; shell, white, and yolk. It takes all three to be a trinity. Three components (persons) comprise what we know as an egg; (God)

• Administrators

Yes Bro. Alan, I love it for its simplicity. I remember first hearing it as a young Christian and it really brought home the simplicity of a complicated subject in a manner that was instantly understandable. I'm just a simple guy and that is probably why it made such an impact on my mind. Of course if we really buckle down we can think of lots of simple things that can illustrate the concept of a trinity.

• Members
9 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Of course if we really buckle down we can think of lots of simple things that can illustrate the concept of a trinity.

Very good idea.

Any other illustrations that illustrate the trinity?

Also, one of the thoughts that Larkin brought out was how the Godhead is always in perfect unity. Larkin called it, "The Tri-Unity." The Lord Jesus stated it this way, "For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak." John 12:49 

Are there any comments on the perfect unity of the Trinity? Or, an illustration on the perfect unity of the Trinity in a simple illustration?

Edited by Alan
grammer