• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - The Spirit World

Alan

• Members

There are some who believe that only the Gentiles will be judged at the (bema) seat of Jesus Christ, and that the Jews will be judged for their rewards at another time. From what I've read, it is composed of both Jews and also of gentiles.  All believers of the Church, Jew and gentile, are judged before the (bema), the judgment seat of Christ.  Paul, as a Jew, included himself (we) in bema seat of Christ.

For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ; that every one may receive the things done in his body, according to that he hath done, whether it be good or bad. (2 Corinthians 5:10)

During the Tribulation's first half, those Jews who respond to the ministry of the two witnesses and the 144,000 are led to safety in the desert at the Tribulation's mid point in Revelation chapter twelve. This is what I've gathered from the book of Revelation.

And I will bring the third part through the fire, and will refine them as silver is refined, and will try them as gold is tried: they shall call on my name, and I will hear them: I will say, It is my people: and they shall say, The Lord is my God. (Zechariah 13:9)

So from I've read, the two thirds remnant of the Jews will repent and turn to the Christ (Zech. 12:10; 13:1) as their Lord and Savior as their spiritual eyes get opened -- while the rest will not. And that these Jews are included in the 144,000. The Antichrist ("false messiah") or the "foolish shepherd" (cf. Zech 11:15-17) will make a pact with the Jews (cf. Dan. 9:27) and break this treaty with Israel and require worship of him alone (Dan. 9:24-27; Matt. 24:15; 2 Thess. 2:3,4) as God. 

God Bless,

Daniel

• Members
On 08/01/2018 at 12:38 AM, Alan said:

nvicta,

I have studied Hendriksen's work, "More Than Conquerors," several times. I have looked at every note that he has in the book.  In my estimation, every time I study it I view Hendriksen as a preterist.

Also, Hendrickson's view on Israel, Prophecy, is pretty much the same as most preterists; including Laymon and Philip Mauro. Hendriksen's denunciation of fundamentalists, the Authorized Version  (the KJV), the Jews, the Scofield Reference Bible, is almost the same views as other preterists that I have read.

I have never read Hendriksen, but I know that baptist churches that follow Hendriksen teach that the Book of revelation is a series of seven parallel prophecies each covering the whole history of the church.  That is a form of Historicism not preterism.

I have read many of Philip Mauro's books.  He says he was one of the early dispensationalists, and looked down on those who did not accept the new teaching. He then studied the scriptures more and rejected that theory.  True his books are on the preterist site but I do not consider him a preterist as he said the antichrist was future.

The Preterist site also have Mauro's books written while he was still a dispensationalist.    

• Members
6 hours ago, Invicta said:

I have never read Hendriksen, but I know that baptist churches that follow Hendriksen teach that the Book of revelation is a series of seven parallel prophecies each covering the whole history of the church.  That is a form of Historicism not preterism.

I have read many of Philip Mauro's books.  He says he was one of the early dispensationalists, and looked down on those who did not accept the new teaching. He then studied the scriptures more and rejected that theory.  True his books are on the preterist site but I do not consider him a preterist as he said the antichrist was future.

The Preterist site also have Mauro's books written while he was still a dispensationalist.    

Oh so he was around in the 3rd century when people were discussing dispensation, was he?????

• Members
12 hours ago, Invicta said:

have never read Hendriksen, but I know that baptist churches that follow Hendriksen teach that the Book of revelation is a series of seven parallel prophecies each covering the whole history of the church.  That is a form of Historicism not preterism.

Brethren,

Besides my books, I have a list of five different preterist forums, and or web sites, that I gather information from. Within the ranks of preterism, both William Hendriksen and Philip Mauro are considered preterist. Within those five preterist sites, and books on preterism, you will find out that that Preterism is a form of Historicism.

At the beginning of Phillip Mauro's ministry, he was a dispensational in belief.  But, he changed radically and became an ardent preterist.

Two things:

1. Dave is correct. There are different dispensations in the scriptures and not a new doctrine. I want to thank Dave for bringing this to our attention.

2. Phillip Mauro openly departed from the faith. "They went out from us, but they were not of us: for if they had been of us, they would no doubt have continued with us: but they went out, that they might be made manifest that they were not all of us." 1 John 2:19 

Daniel,

Thank you for your thoughts on prophecy.

The next lesson will be uploaded soon.

Alan

Edited by Alan
changed the first paragraph added the word ministry

• Members

Chapter 19
The Judgments
Part 5

“Judgment NO.4”

This lesson will be an overview on Larkin's Judgment NO. 4. The first chart with this judgment is found on page 146, called, “The Judgments,” and the second chart listing this judgment is found on page 154, in Larkin's book, “The Spirit World.”
                                                                                                                                                                 Observation by Alan
In this overview, I have noticed that Larkin has steadily scripturally refuted false beliefs concerning the Trinity, Spirit Persons (Satan and his followers, demons, and the angels of God and their ministry), events (the afterlife: heaven and hell),and judgments that are connected with the Spirit World (he refuted the General Judgment and General Resurrection beliefs). In the process of this book, Larkin has scripturally refuted; Spiritualism, the Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Seventh Day Adventists, Soul Sleep, Annihilation, the Universalist, and in this chapter the A-millennialist and/ or preterist.

Chart
The Dispensation of Judgments
page 154

5a5d7e3904369_LarkinSpiritpage154.thumb.JPG.664b5492afc8fb87313a0adacd190d2f.JPG

Concerning the chart and this lesson, Larkin places the Judgment of the Nations on circle number 3:

Larkin states the following concerning the Judgment found in Matthew 25:31-46, “The account of this Judgment is given in Matt. 25:31-46. The description of this Judgment, and of the one given in Rev. 20:11-15 are combined by many, and taken to teach the doctrine of a general judgment. But when we compare them they differ so widely that it is evident that they do not describe the same event.”i  

Larkin mentions dramatic differences between the Matthew 25:31-46 judgment and the Revelation 20:11-15 Judgment. These differences plainly describe two different judgments.

1. There is no resurrection in the Matthew 25: 31-46 Judgment while in Revelation 20:11-15 there is a resurrection.
2. In Matthew 25:31-46 living nations are judged while in the  Revelation 20:11-15 Judgment only “the dead” are mentioned as being judged.
3. There are no books opened in Matthew 25:31-46 while in  Revelation 20:11-15 the “Book of Life” is opened.
4. In Matthew 25:31-46 there are three classes of people mentioned: Sheep, Goats and Brethren. In Revelation 20:11-15 there is only one class of people mentioned: the dead.
5.  The Judgment as described in Matthew 25:31-46 takes place before the millennial reign of Christ, Revelation 20:4-6 while the Great White Throne of Judgment takes place after the millennial reign of Christ; Revelation 20:11-15

One other scriptural fact Larkin mentions is, “This comparison reveals the fact that one of these Judgments in “on the earth,” the other in the “heavens,” and that they are separated by 1000 years.”ii
                                                                                                                                                                 Note by Alan
Larkin does not quote either Revelation 20:11-15 nor Matthew 25:31-46 in its entirety. For our convenience, I will write out  Revelation 20:11-15 and part of Matthew 25:31-46, so the reader of this overview may see the difference.

Revelation 20:11-15 “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which are written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”  

Matthew 25:31-34, “When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.”

Matthew 25:40, “And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”
                                                                                                                           Important Observations by Larkin on Matthew 25:31-46
In his dissertation on the differences between the two passages, and his exposition of Matthew 25:31-46, Larkin, among other important points, states, “The scriptures teach that the Righteous are saved by “faith” and the Wicked are lost because they “reject Christ,” but in the Judgment scene the Sheep inherit a “kingdom” and the Goats are commanded to “depart” because of their treatment of certain Brethren. All the confusion is caused by trying to make a Judgment of “nations” mean a Judgment of “individuals.” The Sheep represent one class of Nations, and the Goats another class, while the Brethren represent the Jews (Christ's brethren).”iii

Larkin quotes Joel 3: 1 & 2 to show that the Judgment of the Nations takes place in the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
                                                                                                                                                                   Note by Alan
The prophecy of Joel 3:1 & 2 is literal: Judah and Jerusalem are literal cities, the nations are literal, the valley of Jehoshaphat is a literal valley, the restoration of Israel as a nation is literal, and God makes that claim the the “land” is “my land.”

Joel 3:1 & 2, For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead  with them for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they scattered the nations, and parted my land.”

In order for the prophecy of Joel to be fulfilled Larkin clearly understands that the nation of Israel will be restored. Larkin states, “This prophecy clearly states that there is to be a “Judgment of Nations” on the earth in the “Valley of Jehoshaphat” at the time of the restoration of the Jews to their own land, and that the basis of Judgment is the treatment by the nations of Christ's brethren -The Jews.”iv

Larkin scripturally proves the Great White Throne of Judgment as recorded in Revelation 20:11-15 and the Judgment of the Nations as recorded in Matthew 25:31-46 are two separate judgments.
                                                                                                                                         A-millennialist and Preterist Objections
A brief summary of the A-millennial, and / or, preterist, interpretation of  Matthew 25:31-46 as presented by Larkin, is as follows.

1) The passage in Joel 3:1 & 2 pertains to the church, is symbolic, figurative, or has already been fulfilled.
2) The nation of Israel has been cast out and has no further history as a nation. “And thus was fulfilled the prophetic “allegory” of Abraham's family history, according to which the bondwoman and her son, representing Israel after the flesh, were to be “cast out” (Gal. 4:30 ); which is the end of their history as a nation.”v
3) In his chapter, “What the N. T. Teachers as to the Future Mercy for the Jews,” Those prophecies did not, except for a few instances, look beyond the events of this present era of the Holy Spirit.”vi Mauro rejects Larkin's Matthew 25:31-46 interpretation becomes Larkin teaches that God will have mercy on the nation of Israel and restore the nation of Israel.
4) Matthew 25:31-46 is spiritual and symbolic. The Sheep nations are saved people, the Goat nations are lost people, the “brethren” are saints in the Church Age, and that it a description of the judgment is Revelation 20:11-15. In other words, a General Resurrection and a General Judgment.

Larkin has scriptural proved that the two judgments are separate and that there is not a General Resurrection and a General Judgment.
                                                                                                                                                           Note by Alan
The following quote by Philip Mauro is full of presumptions, incorrect interpretations, and the twisting of scriptures. I only quote it to show the incorrect belief of an preterist, the ignorance of God's mercy towards Israel, and the disregard of the multitude of unfulfilled prophecies of the Old Testament prophets concerning the restoration of Israel. They believe Joel 3:1 & 2 is not a prophecy for the nation of Israel and is not literal. They believe that Joel 3:1 & 2 is symbolic and pertains to the church.

A-millennialism, and / or Preterism,  teaches that that all of the promises, and prophecies, concerning the nation of Israel is not literal, all are of a spiritual nature, and are given to the church. This belief is the doctrine of Replacement Theology.

Mauro fully states the position of the A-millennialism, and / or Preterism, quite clearly. Mauro states, “Let us recall, moreover, that the covenant relations between God and “Israel after the flesh” were ended, even as had been foretold by their own prophets, beginning with Moses and Joshua (Deut. 4:26; 6:14, 15, 8:20; Josh. 23:15,16); the old covenant was dissolved and “ready to vanish away”; every vestige of it was shortly to be obliterated; and therefore, of necessity, all promises based upon that covenant, had there been any as yet fulfilled, fell to the ground. But beside all that, God has now brought clearly to light, as we have seen, what He had but dimly revealed in times past, that the name ISRAEL belongs properly to His new-covenant people. Therefore, it is not enough, for the settling of the question of God's future purposes for the Jews, that prophecies concerning Israel be found which apparently have not been unfulfilled; for we must needs conclude, as to all such prophecies – unless the contrary plainly appears – that they pertain to the true “Israel of God,” and that their fulfillment is in the realm of things spiritual and unseen.”vii

So, according to Mauro, Joel 3:1 & 2, pertains to the church, is spiritual, may or may not have been fulfilled, and has nothing to the nation of Israel, or the land of Israel. And, according to Mauro, all of the promises and prophecies concerning the restoration of the nation of Israel, “… my brethren …” according to the Lord Jesus, was, “… obliterated; and therefore, of necessity, all promises based upon that covenant, had there been any as yet fulfilled, fell to the ground.”   

Conclusion

Larkin is correct. The “Great White Throne,” of Revelation 20:11-15 and the “Judgment of the Nations,” found in Matthew 25:31-46, are two separate judgments at two separate times, in two separate locations, with different people being judged.

Edited by Alan
Joel 2:1 & 2 to Joel 3:1 & 2

• Members

I don't understand how anyone can be a Preterist.  Preterism means "already happened", while historicism means "representing historical events." And these false teachers such as Mauro are teaching that the events in Revelation have already occurred, or to symbolize nearly all of it.  I have heard some ridiculous theories trying to link Revelation up to middle ages events et al.  What the two definitely have in common is being wrong on the face of it.  Clearly, there has been no mark of the beast, no global control by Antichrist, none of the trumpet or bowl judgments, no two witnesses, no rebuilt temple, no 144,000,  . . . one could go on at length.  The only way that a person could accept any of the false systems of prophetic interpretation is by failing to believe that Revelation and the rest of scripture means what it says. Thanks for sharing your notes and observations, Alan.

God Bless,

Daniel

• Members

Daniel,

I appreciate the kind words.

Thank you for your observations. You are correct. The interpretations of the preterist, using the symbolic and historical method of interpreting the prophecy of the book of Revelation, the Olivet discourse in Matthew 24 and Luke 21, and 1 & 2 Thessalonians, are false and have  nothing in common with history; nor the reality of future events. The interpretations of the preterist are just about as ridiculous as the interpretations of the Jehovah's Witnesses. Mauro is just one of the many false teachers in our day and age.

Alan

• Members
On 1/16/2018 at 12:28 PM, Alan said:

Larkin quotes Joel 3: 1 & 2 to show that the Judgment of the Nations takes place in the Valley of Jehoshaphat.
                                                                                                                                                                   Note by Alan
The prophecy of Joel 3:1 & 2 is literal: Judah and Jerusalem are literal cities, the nations are literal, the valley of Jehoshaphat is a literal valley, the restoration of Israel as a nation is literal, and God makes that claim the the “land” is “my land.”

Joel 3:1 & 2, For, behold, in those days, and in that time, when I shall bring again the captivity of Judah and Jerusalem, I will also gather all nations, and will bring them down into the valley of Jehoshaphat, and will plead  with them for my people and for my heritage Israel, whom they scattered the nations, and parted my land.”

In order for the prophecy of Joel to be fulfilled Larkin clearly understands that the nation of Israel will be restored. Larkin states, “This prophecy clearly states that there is to be a “Judgment of Nations” on the earth in the “Valley of Jehoshaphat” at the time of the restoration of the Jews to their own land, and that the basis of Judgment is the treatment by the nations of Christ's brethren -The Jews.”iv

Brethren,

As a side note.

In my "Revelation Bible Study" lessons, Lesson # 16 Part 1 and 2, I went into great detail concerning Joel Chapter 2 & 3 and the "Restoration of the Nation of Israel."

Here is that link:

In the lessons on Joel Chapter 2 & 3, the prophecies of Joel goes into great detail concerning the literal restoration of the nation of Israel. In the study I refute further claims of a-millennialism, the preterist, and the Jehovah's Witnesses.

For those brethren new to OnLine Baptist, and those who may have questions concerning some of the prophetic prophecies concerning the literal restoration of the nation of Israel, and the false teachings of a-millennialism, preterism  and the Jehovah's Witnesses, the study is still open for comments and / or discussion.

Alan

• Members

Alan,

First and foremost, I want to thank you for your in-depth and comprehensive study of "The Spirit World." I've done some research in the past regarding The Spirit World but there's always more that we can glean from others such as Larkin's commentaries and your notes and observations. The truth of scripture never changes. . . for it is God-breathed ("theopneustos"), and therefore very reliable in refuting false teachings based on the opinions of false teachers and their "pet doctrines." One of my pet peeves are the JW's and their false doctrines. The Jehovah's Witnesses pretty much base their entire belief system almost on one verse alone found in the Old Testament (Isaiah 43:10), and they're not so cunning regarding the twisting of scripture to fit their false doctrines. The JW's kryptonite is their faulty and poor understanding of The Koine Greek language -- or common Greek. My house is literally a magnet for JW's, which at times can be annoying; but common sense (which is not so common amongst false teachers) and good hermeneutics can send them on their way back. There is no "a" God in John 1:1 since the Greek language does not implement the usage of the word "a" -- so to get the correct interpretation is to go by its context, for context is king. And how does one get the word "TRIBE" (Rev. 7:4-8) to a symbolic interpretation of it to mean a special class of "righteous" men and women who are "worthy" enough to have the privilege to live in the Father's house, while the rest of the "saved" JW's inherit the Earth. The word TRIBE means exactly what it means - a TRIBE, or clan. As you and Larkin rightly pointed out . . .their understanding of the 144,000 is by far one of the most twisted passages of scripture I have ever came across. I look forward to your next lesson on book reviews.

God Bless,

Daniel

• Members

Daniel,

I am glad to hear that the overview, or study, on Larkin's book, "The Spirit World," was a blessing to your heart and life.  You are correct in your testimony concerning the JW's and their ignorance of the scriptures, the Greek language, and basic Bible knowledge and interpretation. It almost seems like false teachers can teach any heretical doctrine and a lot of people are unwilling to search the scriptures, like the Bereans, Acts 17:10, in order to learn the truth.

I also appreciate your comments throughout this overview. Your comments have been encouraging to me to continue and have complimented the lessons. Thank you.

Brethren,

I will be uploading the next, and last, overview in Larkin's book very soon. The last subject will be on the Judgment found in Revelation 20:11-15, "The Great White Throne of Judgment."

Alan

• Members
On November 10, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Alan said:

Hmmm.

"And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my Son, in whom I am well pleased." Matthew 3:16 & 17

Larkin stated, "The "SON" was present in Jesus. And the "HOLY SPIRIT" was present in the form of a "DOVE." This quote is found on page 5.

Jim,

Very happy that you made this comment about the Holy Spirit descending like a dove. I do not feel it is nit-picking.

I had thought of what you are saying, but I am not mentioning every detail that Larkin states as I do not know what subjects are of interest to everybody and what subjects to comment on and what subjects not to comment on.

The scriptures does state the the Holy Spirit, "... descending like a dove..." and then, "... lighting upon him..." The scriptures does not say, " in the form of a dove " as you brought out. Some have thought though that since the scriptures say, "and lighting upon him" indicates not only the descending manner but also a form of a dove.

Either way, I appreciate your participation and I appreciate your observation, and comments, concerning the Holy Spirit.

Alan

P.S.

I have not noticed this subject previously being discussed on OnLine Baptist.

So, as Larkin did make this a point in his book, and if there is anybody else, or if Jim wants to continue this discussion on Matthew 3:16-17 and the Holy Spirit descending like a dove, please do so.

Alan

As I was going through this thread page by page, I came across this post regarding the Trinity. I would say that Matthew 3:16,17 is one of the strongest verses in scripture proving a Triune Godhead as Jim pointed out. The Triune God (cf. 3:22; 11:7) is mentioned in the first book of the Bible.   

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:26) 

There have been controversy over whether or not the word "us" used in the above verse refers to the Trinity. Some will say that it is an example of a "majestic plural", and that the ancient Hebrews also used the plural of majesty in ancient times. However, this did not exist at the time of Moses (who authored Genesis), so it cannot refer to a royal majestic. Furthermore, outside of scripture, the plural of majesty was first used in the 18th century when Anglo-Saxon kings and queens would refer to themselves as "we" or "our"; and it's another reason why it cannot refer to a plural of majesty. Some have also suggested that "us" is referring to God and His angels; however, angels cannot CREATE MAN -- only God can and did... therefore it cannot refer to angels. This is pretty much an irrefutable argument regarding the Triunity of God. I apologize if I derailed your thread, Alan. Eternal Security and the Deity of Christ are some of my favorite topics I'd like to discuss with like-minded Christians such as yourself.

God Bless!    

• Members

Chapter 19

The Judgments

Part 6

This lesson will be an overview on Larkin's Judgment NO. 5. The chart if found on page 146, called, “The Judgments,” in Larkin's book, “The Spirit World.” The chart for this lesson is found in the right side of the chart, called, “Judgment No. 5 The Wicked Dead.”I have already uploaded the chart in this overview. The chart is located on page 3 of this overview and the date uploaded was January 13, 2018.

Here is Revelation 10:11-15, “And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them. And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which are written in the books, according to their works. And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works. And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.”

Larkin explains that this judgment is future, it will take place at the renovation of the earth by fire (2 Peter 3:7), the judgment will be before the Great White Throne, the basis of the judgment will be according to the works of the individuals judged and the result is that, except those who names are in the book of life, are cast into the lake of fire.

• 2 Peter 3:7, “But the heavens and the earth, which are now, by the same word are kept in store, reserved unto fire against the day of judgment and perdition of ungodly men.”

Note by Alan Concerning A-millennialism, and / or Preterism, and the Judgment

Revelation 20:11b states, “… from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.” The place of this judgment is not in heaven and it is not on the earth. William Hendriksen makes a great error in his interpretation of the Great White Throne of Judgment and the usage of the words of the Lord Jesus in Matthew 19:28 the Apostle Peter in Acts 3:21, when he states the following, “... a regeneration, Matt. 19:28; a restoration of all things, Acts 3:21.”i

We will look briefly at Matthew 19:28 and Acts 3:21 and discover that they do not apply to the Great White Throne of Judgment in Revelation 20:11-15 and that Hendriksen erroneously used the scriptures.

1. Matthew 19:28, “And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, that ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.”In the regeneration of the Lord Jesus when He sits on the throne of His glory it is obvious that the Lord will reign on the earth and that the 12 apostles are judging on their individual thrones on the earth. In Revelation 20:11-15 there is no earth and no 12 tribes of Israel.

2. The “regeneration” spoken of by the Lord Jesus in Matthew 19:28 is, “ … the times of restoration of all things ...” spoken by the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 1:25-27), the disciples in Acts 1:6, and the Apostle Peter in Acts 3:21. The “regeneration” is the restoration of the nation of Israel at the beginning of the 1000 year reign of Christ as revealed in Revelation 20:4-6

Acts 3:19-21, “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” The apostle Peter is very clear, "... all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.” "All," 100 percent, every one, of the prophecies of the prophets concerning the nation of Israel, not the spiritual nation of Israel, must be fulfilled.

When the apostle Peter stated, “… and he shall send Jesus Christ ...” is a clear reference to the coming of Christ in Revelation 19:11-21 in order to start the restoration, or regeneration, or refreshing, of the nation of Israel, in Revelation 20:4-6 When the apostle stated, Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things ...” The apostle Peter was clearly referencing Isaiah 1:25-27 and Acts 1:6

Furthermore, Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things ...” is clearly fulfilled in Revelation 19: 11 when the “until” is fulfilled. Revelation 19:11 “And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.” Revelation 19:11

“… and he shall send Jesus Christ ...” was not fulfilled in Revelation 20:11-15. “… and he shall send Jesus Christ ...” was fulfilled in Revelation 19:11.

Isaiah 1:25-27, “And I will turn my hand upon thee, and purely purge away thy dross, and take away all thy tin: And I will restore thy judges as at the first, and thy counsellors as at the beginning: afterward thou shalt be called, The city of righteousness, the faithful city. Zion shall be redeemed with judgment, and her converts with righteousness.”

The disciples in Acts 1:6 were clearly referring to Isaiah 1:25-27. “When they therefore were come together, they asked of him, saying, Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the nation of Israel?” There is no fulfillment of Isaiah 1:25-27 (and many other passages by the prophets who prophesied of the restoration of the nation of Israel), in Revelation 20:11-15.

Therefore, Hendriksen was in error in stating that Revelation 20:11-15 is, “... a regeneration, Matt. 19:28; a restoration of all things, Acts 3:21.” The a-millennial, and or, preterist, teaching that Matthew 19:28 and Acts 3:21 are fulfilled in Revelation 20:11-15 is erroneous.

Larkin states, “All the Righteous dead will arise at the First Resurrection. If any Righteous die between the first Resurrection and the Resurrection of the “wicked” or Second Resurrection, they will rise with the wicked dead at that Resurrection. The words - “Whosoever was not found written in the Book of Life” (vs. 15), imply that there will be “some,” probably very few, Righteous at the Second Resurrection.”ii

Note by Alan Concerning the Book of Life

During the 1000 Year Reign of Christ, due to the longevity of life, lack of diseases, no war, and many other blessings of the Reign of Christ, the population of the earth will be phenomenal. And, the individuals who are saved during the 1000 Year Reign of Christ will be tremendous. It is my belief, that all of those righteous individuals will be judged for their eternal rewards at this time also. Therefore, the Book of Life is opened also for their sakes.

Larkin further states, “The Wicked or Ungodly will not be judged to see whether they are entitled to Eternal Life, but to ascertain the “degree” of their punishment.” iii

Larkin also notes that the “Fallen angels,” will be judged at this judgment.

• Jude 6, “And the angels which kept not their first estate, but left their own habitation, he hath reserved in everlasting chains under darkness unto the judgment of the great day.”

In conclusion, Larkin scripturally proves that the “General Resurrection,” and “General Judgment,” as taught by the A-millennialist, and or, preterist, is in error. Larkin scripturally proves that the Judgment Seat of Christ, the Judgment of the Sheep and the Goats, the Jews under the Anti-Christ, and the Great White Throne of Judgment are all separate judgments.

i Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939, 1967), Page 235

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 157

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 158

Edited by Alan
added the number '5'

• Members

Hi Alan,

I had a debate with several people on a Christian forum years ago, and nearly everyone on that thread was against me. To sum it up. . .they believed that we are justified by faith AND works by taking James 2:24 out of its context. It is apparent that James is speaking of "saving faith" -- that is, a faith that is shown to be genuine by its works. If works can "save", then it would demonstrate the possibility that there is a chance that one can be saved at the Great White Throne judgment, because they are judged according to their works. This is an evil "interpretation" and you have correctly ferreted out why:  if works save, then Jesus died for nothing; but works do not save, and no good work could ever wipe out any sin; so without the cross, no one can be saved, no matter how good WE think our works are. God is the One who will decide whether or not anything anyone has done is truly "good", and anything not done in the power of the Holy Spirit cannot be divinely good by definition. Since unbelievers do not have the Holy Spirit, all of their "good works" are detestable to God. Responding to God and doing things His way is what constitutes true "good works", namely, believing in Christ, growing and progressing spiritually, and helping others do likewise:       

Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on Him whom He hath sent. (John 6:29)     

The "books" by which unbelievers are judged at the last judgment contain all of their "deeds" (erga), that is, everything they have thought, said and done in this life; through these it will be demonstrated that they never had any intention of responding to God and His truth through humbling themselves by believing in Christ, and as a result He is absolutely just in everything He has done -- so that they have no excuse and no defense for their condemnation. Since the universe will be dissolved, The Great White Throne judgment would have to take place not on Earth nor in the atmospheric heaven as you and Larkin have already rightly pointed out (cf. Matt. 25:31-46). See also (cf. Rev. 21:1; Is. 51:6; Matt. 24:35; 2 Pet. 3:10-12). Satan will gather an army after the 1,000 year reign of the Lord, the number of whom is as the sand of the sea (Rev. 20:8). This vast sea of people who follow Satan in rebellion towards God Almighty will most likely be born during the 1,000 year reign of Christ on earth as you rightly pointed out, due to their longevity. It is always a blessing to read Larkin's commentaries and your observations and notes. Thank you, Alan.

God Bless! 

• Members
9 hours ago, (Omega) said:

It is always a blessing to read Larkin's commentaries and your observations and notes. Thank you, Alan.

Omega, and all those who considered this overview a blessing, or a help, or as a teaching tool.

Thank you. "Pleasant words are as an honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and health to the bones." Proverbs 16:24

Alan

Overall Overview

It was my intention at the beginning of my "Overview" of Larkin's, "The Spirit World," to be a blessing to the folks who read it and to help us more fully understand the many facets of the wonders of heaven, the character of God, the work  of God, the work of the Lord Jesus, the ministry of the angels, the afterlife in heaven, and the Judgments to come as recorded in the scriptures.

As I mentioned at the beginning (and even listed), there are a few beliefs of Larkin that I feel are incorrect. But, the vast majority of the teachings of Larkin, coupled with his charts, can be a great blessing and help to every saint. Larkin clearly presented the correct scriptural teachings on: the Trinity,  the free will of man, heaven and hell, the Holy Spirit, Satan and his followers, the angels of God and their work and responsibilities, the resurrection, future rewards, and the Judgments to come.

Throughout the book, Larkin correctly refuted the false teachings of: Spiritism, the Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons, Calvinism, Annihilationism, the "Second Chance" doctrine, Purgatory, Soul Sleep, the General Resurrection and General Judgment beliefs, the a-millennial and the preterist beliefs.

In my thoughts, throughout the book, Larkin explained the various aspects of the Spirit World in a scholarly and  Christ-like spirit. His love for the truth of the scriptures, and for the souls of men, is exemplary. Concerning the men of God, and the gifts that God gave those men, to help the church, the apostle Paul stated, "And he gave some, apostles; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers." Ephesians 4:11. As with all men, Larkin had his few faults, but, I am of the persuasion that he was one of those, "... pastors and teachers..."  "For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." Ephesians 4:12

I personally recommend all of the brethren to obtain a copy of the book, "The Spirit World," by Clarence Larkin. 

May the Lord bless all of you.

Alan

• Members
On 1/20/2018 at 6:56 AM, (Omega) said:

As I was going through this thread page by page, I came across this post regarding the Trinity. I would say that Matthew 3:16,17 is one of the strongest verses in scripture proving a Triune Godhead as Jim pointed out. The Triune God (cf. 3:22; 11:7) is mentioned in the first book of the Bible.   

And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. (Genesis 1:26) 

There have been controversy over whether or not the word "us" used in the above verse refers to the Trinity. Some will say that it is an example of a "majestic plural", and that the ancient Hebrews also used the plural of majesty in ancient times. However, this did not exist at the time of Moses (who authored Genesis), so it cannot refer to a royal majestic. Furthermore, outside of scripture, the plural of majesty was first used in the 18th century when Anglo-Saxon kings and queens would refer to themselves as "we" or "our"; and it's another reason why it cannot refer to a plural of majesty. Some have also suggested that "us" is referring to God and His angels; however, angels cannot CREATE MAN -- only God can and did... therefore it cannot refer to angels. This is pretty much an irrefutable argument regarding the Triunity of God. I apologize if I derailed your thread, Alan. Eternal Security and the Deity of Christ are some of my favorite topics I'd like to discuss with like-minded Christians such as yourself.

God Bless!    

Omega,

You did not derail this thread.

The second chapter of Larkin's, "The Spirit World," was on, "The Tri-Unity [ or Trinity ] of God."

At the beginning of this overview, I did not comment much on the first three chapters. And, at the time, no discussion was initiated by anyone reading this overview.

If you, or anybody else, would like to go back and discuss further the first three chapters; Chapter One is on the nature of the angels (Michael, Gabriel and Satan); Chapter 2 is on the Trinity; and Chapter 3 is a full chapter on Satan.

Alan