• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - The Spirit World

Alan

• Members

Chapter 16

Spirit Transformation

In this chapter there is no chart nor can I direct the reader to a chart in the book concerning the subject of 'Spirit Transformation.' As a reminder, I am quoting Larkin as he wrote; all caps, bold words, capitalization, and the styles of the quotation marks are Larkin's.

Larkin begins the study on 'Spirit Transformation' with this thought, “By “Spirit Transformation” is meant the power of “Spirit Beings” to change from an invisible to a visible form, as the angels did when they appeared to men in Old Testament times, and as Jesus did when He appeared to His Disciples after the Resurrection.”i Larkin refers the reader to the story of the two disciples on the road to Emmaus in Luke 24:13-35, the appearing to the disciples behind closed doors as recorded in John 20:19 and Luke 24:37-43

Glorified Body

Larkin asserts that the Lord Jesus received His glorified body after the resurrection and not at His ascension. Larkin refers to 1 Corinthians 15:20-23 “But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.”1 Corinthians 15:20 and to 1 Corinthians 15:15, 42-44 After referring the reader to these two passages, Larkin states, “Therefore if Jesus is the “Firstfruits” of the Resurrection, and a sample of the resurrection of the Saints, He must have received His “Glorified Body” when He arose from the dead.” ii

Larkin clearly scripturally proves, that when the body of the saints are risen from the dead that they are raised incorruptible. “Behold, I shew you a 'Mystery'; we shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed, in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised INCORRUPTIBLE, and we shall be changed.” 1 Corinthians 15:51 and 52

Larkin next uses spiritual logic when in John 20:17 the Lord told Mary Magdalene not to touch Him as He had not ascended to the Father, but yet in a very short later the Lord Jesus allowed other women to hold His feet and worship Him (Matthew 28:9). Larkin states, “Where was He between those two interviews? Where could He have been, to be consistent with His refusal to let Mary touch Him until He had ascended to the Father, but to the Father? And how could He have made the passage if He had not received His “Glorified body” when he arose from the dead?”

Note by Alan

Although Larkin is correct in that the Lord Jesus ascended into heaven to God; Larkin does not refer the reader as to any scriptural reason why He ascended into Heaven, what was accomplished when He met the Father,and can a physical body exist in heaven. In order to compliment the lesson, I would like to show that the resurrected, or glorified, body, is capable of existing in heaven by scripture. Therefore, I will give my personal belief on the scriptural happening between the Mary Magdalene visit and the visit of the Lord Jesus to the other unnamed women visit.

In the priestly duties of the Old Testament High Priest, once a year, on the Day of Atonement, Leviticus 16:1-34, the High Priest was to take the blood of the goat offering for the people, Leviticus 16:15-19, and sprinkle the blood on the Mercy Seat in the Holy of Holies. The blood of the animals never took away any sins in the Old Testament sacrifices. Hebrews 10:4, “For it is not possible that the blood of bulls and of goats should take away sins.” When the High Priest went into the Holy of Holies, according to Leviticus 16:17, no man was even allowed in the tabernacle of the congregation.

The sacrifice of the blood sprinkled on the Mercy Seat of the Holy of Holies, and the actions of the High Priest, and the separation of the people from the congregation, was a type, a figure, of the one and only effectual sacrifice of, “... the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.” John 1: 29

It is my belief that the Lord Jesus, as the true High Priest, offered up His blood that was shed on the Cross of Calvary for our sins after the appearance of Mary Magdalene, and before the appearance before the other women, ascended into the presence of the Father, and then the Lord Jesus sprinkled His blood on the Mercy Seat in the holy place (Numbers 16:2): in the very presence of God.

• The blood of the Lord Jesus was incorruptible. 1 Peter 1:18 and 19, “Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.”

• The blood of the Lord Jesus was 'God's blood.'Acts 20:28, “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.”

• Hebrews 7:22, 26 & 27, “By so much was Jesus made a surety of a better testament. … For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners,and made higher than the heavens. Who needed not daily, as those high priests, to offer up sacrifice, first for his own sins, and then for the people's: for his he did once, when he offered up himself.” And, Hebrews 9:1-24

• Hebrews 8:5, “Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.”

• Hebrews 9:12, “Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.”

• Hebrews 9:24, “For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are figures of the true; but into heaven itself, not to appear in the presence of God for us:”

Larkin's 'Spirit Transformation' Proposition

Larkin states the following proposition, “PROPOSITION: THAT THE RESURRECTION BODY IS ENDOWED WITH THE CAPACITY OF TRANSFORMING ITSELF AT PLEASURE INTO A PHYSICAL BODY AND BACK AGAIN INTO A SPIRIT BODY.”iii

Larkin then proceeds to use the following passages to support his proposition:

• Walking with the two on the road to Emmaus, Luke 24:13-35

• 8 days after revealing Himself to the disciples in the shut of room the Lord appeared to Thomas and the disciples, John 20:26-29

• At His ascension, Acts 1:9

• At His return in the clouds, Acts 1:11

• At His return to the Earth, Luke 21:27; Zechariah 14:4

Larkin does note that at His return to the nation of Israel, to prove Himself, according to Revelation 1:7; Zechariah 12:10, and Luke 19:37, the nation of Israel will see His pierced hands.

• Zechariah 12:10, “And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.”

• Revelation 1:7, “Behold, he cometh with clouds, and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.”

• John 19:37, “And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they have pierced.”

• Moses and Elijah at the Mount of Transfiguration, Luke 9:28-36 Larkin states that both Moses and Elijah already had their resurrected, or glorified, body: Jude 9 and 2 Kings 2:11

• The Lord Jesus, also as the, “ANGEL OF THE LORD” (Genesis 16:7-14), had the power to transform His body at will when He walked on the Sea of Galilee, Matthew 14:26-27; Mark 6:49-50 and John 6:18

Larkin further states, “That the power to transform or change the “Spirit Body” into a “physical body” and back again is a “LAW OF THE SPIRIT WORLD.”iv

Larking proceeds to give the following passages where angelic beings appeared to men to support his assertion:

• Abraham, Genesis 18:1-8

• Lot, Genesis 19:1-3

• Daniel, Daniel 8:15-17

• Zacharias, Luke 1:11

• Mary, Luke 1:26-35

• The Shepherds, Luke 2:8-15

• The women at the tomb, Matthew 28:5-7

• Peter, Acts 12:5-10

• John Revelation 1:1 and 17:7

• In Judges 13:15-20, the angel ascending in the fire in the presence of Manoah, Larkin makes the observation that the fire does not hurt the “Spirit body.

• In Daniel 5:5 Larkin makes the observation that at times only a partial transformation can be seen in the “fingers' vision.

• Philip, Acts 8:39-40

• Ezekiel, Ezekiel 3:14-15

• In 2 Corinthians 12:1-4 Larkin makes the observation that when Paul was caught up to Paradise Paul did not know if he was in the body or out of the body. And, Larkin notes that the catching up of Paul to Paradise probably (not certain), took place when he died at the stoning at Lystra, Acts 14:8-20

• John, Revelation 4:1-2

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 119

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 120

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 122

iv Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 127

• Members

I believe that Mary longed to hold on to Jesus out of fear that she might lose Him. Jesus had to ascend to His Father in order for the Holy Spirit to come and work in the hearts of believers.

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. (John 16:7)

Although Jesus ascended to His Father, He assured His followers that they would not feel abandoned because The Comforter will come and dwell within them. As to your notes of what actually occurred in Heaven, that is an interesting take on it. Perhaps what you had wrote had to be accomplished in order for the Holy Spirit to be sent.

We all look forward to getting rid of this "body of death" (Rom.7:24). Paul referred to our bodies as a body of death because there was a tradition that there was an ancient tribe in Tarsus which taught that the body of a corpse of a victim of murder was tied to the murderer. As a rapidly aging man who has memory problems, and other health issues, I long for this transformed, incorruptible body. Jesus was able to walk through walls (Jn. 20:19-20), can be touched physically by others (Jn.20:27), fly (Acts 1:9) and even eat with His disciples, whom He also referred to as His "friends" (cf. Jn.15:15; 21:12-15)

The City of God Almighty is 1,500 miles in all directions. 

And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it. (Revelation 21:24) We can either walk in the light of God's City and take delight in its scenery, or we can travel 1,500 miles upward by flying. Such a wonderful promise from Him that is True and Faithful. Thanks for sharing, BroAlan!

God Bless,

Daniel

Edited by (Omega)
Additional Info

• Members

Since there will be no tears, I would suppose that the glorified body will have no tear ducts. And most likely we will have the capacity to never forget what we've learned from The Lord God Almighty as He leads us unto living fountains of waters. Communication may be telepathic, or one Heavenly language since the nations of them that are saved will consist of all nationalities and ethnic groups. A city with no cracks in the roads, and probably street names named after us (I am not dogmatic on this). Jesus said, "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:2,3)" The reason why I might believe that there are places named after us (our new name) is because of the passage below:

And had a wall great and high, and had twelve gates, and at the gates twelve angels, and names written thereon, which are the names of the twelve tribes of the children of Israel: On the east three gates; on the north three gates; on the south three gates; and on the west three gates. And the wall of the city had twelve foundations, and in them the names of the twelve apostles of the Lamb. (Revelation 21:12-14)

And within the City of God will be streets that MAY have the names of all the redeemed. As you mentioned, our bodies will shine like Moses and Elijah as they appeared on the Mount of Transfiguration, and other passages in the bible suggests it.

And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. (Daniel 12:3)

God Bless,

Daniel

• Members
7 hours ago, (Omega) said:

And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. (Daniel 12:3)

Omega,

I like your new avatar.

Thank you for quoting Daniel 12:3. As one ponders these lessons, a person may understand more fully the necessity of being a soul winner. Larkin is bringing  out very clearly that the doctrines of 'Spiritism,' Purgatory,' 'The Restoration theory,' "The Doctrine of Annihilation,'  and "Soul-Sleep," are all false doctrines designed to deceive men. Larkin realized that all of these doctrines are causing men to dis-believe the scriptures and will cause the individuals who believe these doctrines to spend eternity in hell. Larkin is clearly refuting all of these doctrines in order for the sinner to realize the error of his beliefs and help the saints become soul winners.

The soul-winner realizes the reality of Hell, the reality of Heaven, and eternal truths of the Spirit World, and are trying to win the lost souls of mankind with the truth of the Gospel in order for them to saved from the consequences of their sins and enjoy eternal life in heaven. The soul winner is a wise person, Proverbs 11:30, and will shine as the stars in heaven for eternity as they turn the unrighteous to righteousness.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Members

I changed my avatar because The Lord God Almighty invites all who desires to come to Him for Salvation, and it is a free gift, and it was just my way of expressing it in an avatar. And for some reason I thought that some might not take me seriously with a smiley face avatar. That was just my way of expressing the Joy of the Lord in my life. I once debated an annihilationist who said that, "the thought of non-existence" is more frightening than eternal punishment." I don't see the logic behind this. There are many unbelievers who commit suicide believing that their life will be snuffed out completely, even after physical death -- and that doesn't frighten them in the least. I asked the annihilationist if he (hypothetically) were to be in hell for a billion years in torment, would he rather continue in his torment, or go into a state of non-existence?, and he had no comeback.  Furthermore, how can being in a state of non-existence be terrifying at all if one does NOT EXIST? A state of non-existence has no conscious and therefore cannot feel any sort of emotion. He/she cannot say, "This state of non-existence is terrifying!", if there is NO CONSCIOUS. So the false doctrine of Annihilation is self-refuting. Larkin does a great job at exposing these false doctrines, and I very much appreciate your notes on it, BroAlan. Thanks, and I look forward to more of Larkin's exposing false teachings and your thoughts on it. God Bless!

• Members

Chapter 17

The Resurrection

Larkin states, “The Scriptures speak of three kinds of resurrection. 1. NATIONAL. This refers to Israel who are now nationally dead and buried in the “Graveyard of the Nations,” but who are to be revived and restored to their own land. Hosea 6:1-2. 2. SPIRITUAL. This refers to those who are spiritually dead in “Trespasses and Sins.” Eph. 2:1-6. Eph. 5:14. Rom. 6:11. This is a “PRESENT RESURRECTION” and is going on continually. Every time a soul is “born again” there is a passing from “death” unto “life,” a “Spiritual Resurrection.” John 5:24. 3. PHYSICAL. This is of the dead body. The “Spirit” of man does not die, it goes back to God who gave it. All that goes into the grave is the body, and all that can come out of the grave is the body.i

Note by Alan

In this book, “The Spirit World,” Larkin does not expound on the, “National” restoration, or resurrection, of the nation of Israel from the, “Graveyard of the Nations,” nor does he refer the reader to the passages in the scriptures that proves his contention, nor does he include this study in a chart in 'The Spirit world' book.

As I have dealt with this issue extensively in my 'Revelation Bible Study' thread, I will give the reader just a few passages to study:

• Ezekiel 37:1-14

• Ezekiel 28:24-26

• Hosea 6:1 & 2; 14:4-9

• Amos 9:11-15

• Isaiah 1:25-27

The Resurrection of the Body

Larkin quotes John 5:28-29, Acts 24:15 and 1 Corinthians 15:22 Note by Alan. When Larkin quotes 1 Corinthians 15:22 he adds the context of the meaning of the verse and highlights it so he can make a remark rebuking the Universalist doctrine of “Universal Salvation.” In order to 'catch' the meaning of Larkin I will need to quote it with his notes.

• John 5:28 & 29, “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”

• Acts 24:15, “And have hope toward God, which they themselves allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.”

• For as in Adam all die (physically), even so in Christ shall all be made alive (physically).” 1 Cor. 15:22 That the Apostle means “physical” death, and “physical” resurrection here, is clear, for it is the body, and not the spirit that he is discoursing about, and so the Universalist has no “proof text” here for the doctrine of “Universal Salvation.”ii

Chart

The Resurrections

page 131

image.thumb.jpeg.4b7e171fd40369e3800f88b92a1690f6.jpeg

Larkin brings out that the wicked and the righteous dead are resurrected at two different times, at 1000 years apart, through the following passages. Larkin brings out some interesting thoughts on the “order' of the resurrection in 1 Corinthians 15:22-24 that I feel is worthy to bring out to our attention.

• Revelation 20:4& 5

• Revelation 4:4

• Revelation 20:6

1 Corinthians 15:22-24, “For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. But every man in his own order: Christ the firstfruits; afterward they that are Christ's at his coming. Then cometh the end, when he shall have delivered up the kingdom to God, even the Father; when he shall have put down all rule and all authority and power.”

In connection with Revelation 20:6, Larkin further explains the 'order' of the resurrection of the wicked and the righteous, “That the Dead are to rise in different bands or cohorts, with an “interval of time” between, is beautifully brought out in 1 Cor. 15:22-24. For as in Adam all die (physically), even so in Christ shall all be made alive (physically). But every man in his own order. The word translated “order” is a military expression, and means a band, cohort, brigade or division of an army. Paul gives the order: 1. “Christ the First Fruits.” 2. “Afterward they that Are Christ's At His coming.” 3. “Then cometh The End.”iii

Larkin explains his thoughts with reminding the reader of the following passages:

• Matthew 27:50-53

• A discourse on the literal, and correct, interpretation of Revelation 20:4 & 5

• A close examination of Luke 20:35 & 36

• The Lord Jesus plainly states that the recompense for our works for the Lord will be accomplished at the, “resurrection of the just,” this surely, and clearly, implies a separate recompense, and resurrection, of the wicked dead. Luke 14:14. “And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just.” Luke 14:14

• The 'better' resurrection spoken of the writer of Hebrews in Hebrews 11:35

• A literal resurrection as Paul mentioned in Philippians 3:11

• A reminder that the resurrection of the saints as spoken by Paul in 1 Thessalonians 4:15-17 must precede the Millennium as literally written in Revelation 20:4-6

• In John 5:28 & 29 the Lord Jesus clearly stated that there will be a “resurrection of life' and a separate “resurrection of damnation. “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.” John 5:28 & 29

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 129

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 130

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 132

Here is the link to the 'Revelation Bible Study' where I wrote extensively on the 'Restoration of the nation of Israel.'

• Members

Thanks for sharing Larkin's notes on The Resurrection and the false doctrine of Universal Salvation, and your notes on them.

I have debated a proponent of Universal Salvation by the name of Gary Amirault who taught that ALL will be save eventually. He even went so far as to suggest that the Devil himself will eventually be saved. He accused all who hold to the doctrine of Eternal Punishment as modern day Pharisees and Sadducees, which was odd since the Sadducees did not even believe in a Resurrection at all. Judas Iscariot is referred to as the "Son of perdition", and that title is used twice in the bible referring to both Judas and the Antichrist. The word "perdition" means "eternal damnation", or "complete destruction". And as mentioned earlier in this thread, the destruction does not mean Annihilation, and Annihilation and Universal Salvation are the antagonistic of each other.

The Son of man goeth as it is written of him: but woe unto that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! it had been good for that man if he had not been born. (Matthew 26:24)

Universal Salvation is easily refuted by the biblical teaching of Eternal Punishment. Universal Salvationist's translate the word "forever" as ages. For example:

And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. (Revelation 20:10 KJV)

Their interpretation: And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ages and ages. (Revelation 20:10)

The word Eternal is "Aionios" in the Greek and "Olam" in the Hebrew, and can mean "forever, everlasting, perpetual, or a long duration of time" depending on its context. There are a plethora of verses that teach "in its context" that Eternal Punishment is indeed...ETERNAL, and there is no Universal Salvation (Dan.12:2; Matt.3:12; 25:41; Mk.9:44-49; Lk.16:23,24; 2 Thess.1:9; Rev.14:10,11; 20:10)

Now as to why sin against God warrants Eternal Punishment is because who the person sins or wrongs against and the IMPORTANCE of that person or being. The Greater the being, the Greater the punishment.

• Stepping on a bug and killing it warrants no punishment (as far as I know)
  • Killing an animal (e.g., a dog, cat) warrants a fine and jail time (If I am correct)
  • Murdering a human being warrants either a long duration of time in jail, or a death penalty in some states.
  • Sinning against God, who is Eternal and Absolutely Holy warrants Eternal Punishment.

Behold therefore the goodness and severity of God: on them which fell, severity; but toward thee, goodness, if thou continue in his goodness: otherwise thou also shalt be cut off. (Romans 11:22)

There is both wrath and justice with God. Goodness to those who accept His Gracious offer of Salvation for free, and Spiritual ruin and wrath upon those who reject Him and refuse to repent.

God Bless,

Daniel

• Members

Thank you for bringing out the expanded study on refuting the false belief of 'Universal Salvation.' Also, with your example of debating Gary Amirault I am sure that it helped all of us understand the biblical view of eternal punishment for sin and the need to learn the correct doctrines of the scripture when it comes to eternal matters.

Clarence Larkin is proving that the soul of man will consciously exist for eternity in either heaven or hell and that both places are real. Larkin has correctly, and adequately refuted the false beliefs of eternity and shown that there will be a resurrection for the Just and for the Wicked with a Judgment to follow. In this overview I am trying to let the readers know that the book,  'The Spirit World,'  can not only help us understand the biblical truths of the Spirit Realm but help us adequately, through the proper usage of scripture, deal with those who are caught in error. I am reminded of 2 Timothy 2:24 & 25, "In meekness instructing those that oppose themselves; if God peradventure will give them repentance to the acknowledging of the truth; And that they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will." Larkin is trying to instruct the truth of the scripture concerning the Spirit World that people will be able to learn the truth, repent of their false doctrines, and recover themselves from the devil and follow the Lord.

Lastly, for the student of scripture, the ladies who are teaching other ladies and children in the churches, the pastor, and the other men in the ministry, 'The Spirit World,' can be a good reference book to keep handy.

Edited by Alan
grammer eternity to eternal matters

• Members

Chapter 18

The Resurrection Body

There is no chart for this chapter.

Larkin states, “The “Resurrection Body” is not a body of “FLESH” and “BLOOD,” for “flesh” and “blood” cannot inherit the “Kingdom of God.” 1 Cor. 15:50.”i

• 1 Corinthians 15:50, “Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.”

Larkin reasons that blood is the source of decay and corruption in the body that there can be no blood in heaven. And, Larkin references Revelation 7:16 and states that since we will not hunger nor thirst our body will not waste away, and therefore, no need to have blood in the body.

• Revelation 7:16, “They shall hunger no more, neither thirst any more; neither shall the sun light on them, nor any heat.”

Larkin references Luke 24:39 and states, “But while we shall not have a body of “Flesh” and “Blood,” we shall have a body of “Flesh and Bones,” such as Jesus had after His resurrection. Luke 24:39.”ii

• Luke 24:39, “Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.”

Larkin further states, “But the “Flesh” of our Resurrection body will not be human flesh but flesh adapted to the “Spirit World,” and as such a body will require a “framework,” that framework will be of bones suitable for a “Spirit Body.”iii

Larkin brings out the fact that our bodies are, “sown in corruption,” and reinforces that with Paul's discord on Philippians 3:20-21, 1 John 3:2 and 1 Corinthians 15:53-54

• Philippians 3:20 & 21, “For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ: Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able to subdue all things unto himself.”

• 1 John 3:2, “Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.”

• 1 Corinthians 15:53 & 54, “For this corruptible must put on incorruption, and this mortal must put on immortality. So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory.”

Larkin states that the new body will have all of our present senses, Sight, Hearing, Taste, and Memory, enlarged (enhanced).

Larkin emphasizes what he means by a “Spiritual” body, “By “Spiritual” body we are not to understand some sort of - “Etherealized Ghostlike Structure” that has no substance. As we have already seen, the “Spirit Body” is a material body with “Spirit” qualities and faculties, subject to the higher natural laws of the “Spirit World.”iv After a short example, Larkin then states, “The motive force of the human body is the “Soul,” and of the “Resurrection Body” the “SPIRIT.” “The 'First Adam' was made a 'Living Soul'; the 'Last Adam' a 'QUICKENING SPIRIT.'” 1 Cor. 15:45”v

In relation to this aspect of a 'Spiritual' body, Larkin states that this explains Paul's prayer in 1 Thessalonians 5:23 “And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.” 1 Thessalonians 5:23

The Resurrection of Damnation

Larkin clearly explains that the blessings of an incorruptible body does not apply to the lost. Larkin refers the reader to the following three verses.

• John 5:28 & 29, “Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.”

• 1 Corinthians 15:37 & 38, “And that which thou sowest, thou sowest not that body that shall be, but bare grain, it may chance of wheat, or of some other grain: But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.”

• Galatians 6:7 & 8, “Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the spirit shall of the spirit reap life everlasting.”

Larkin then states, with an earnest plea to the lost, “A man cannot sow tares and reap wheat. To every seed its own body. If a man die without the Christ Life, he cannot rise to a Christ-like resurrection. The difference between the “Resurrection of LIFE” and the “Resurrection of DAMNATION” as to character no human language can portray. They are as far apart as Heaven and Hell. Dear Reader, to which of these Resurrections will you arise?”vi

Special Comment by Alan

Larkin has a heart for winning the lost to Christ. Throughout the book, Larkin emphasizes the need of eternal salvation in a heart-felt manner that is applicable to the lesson in each chapter. Larkin understood the reality of Heaven and Hell in his teachings on the scriptures.

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 136

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 136

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 136-137

iv Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 141

v Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 141

vi Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 142

• Members

Brother Alan, thank you once again for sharing Larkin's views on these very important subjects, and your notes on them.

In 1st Corinthians 15, Paul makes the point that because "all flesh is not the same flesh" (v.39), so that there are both "celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies" (v.40). This is similar to when he says that God will do away with both stomachs and food (1Cor.6:13); in the passage cited he is not talking about stomachs and food altogether but about the earthly forms which are subject to decay on the one hand and only fit for earthly bodies on the other: there will be heavenly bodies which will eat food but not for the same reasons we do today (cf. the fruits of the tree of life in the New Jerusalem).  So the eternal bodies we will have will have "flesh and bones" as "ye see me have." (Lk.24:39) as our Lord told Thomas and the other disciples, but no blood as Larkin correctly stated.  They will not be less in any way; they will greater in every way, capable of enjoyment and understanding beyond anything we can yet conceive of.  They will not be "ghost like" as Larkin correctly explained; that is a common and dangerous misconception based upon a misreading of what Paul says in the chapter cited at the head of this paragraph. 

"Spiritual" in that context means "celestial" as opposed to "terrestrial": not less but more real and enduring forever. "Spiritual" means fit for the full expression of the spirit; where as "physical" or "terrestrial" or psychikoi , which in the Greek means "fit for this natural and corrupt world only".  Unbelievers' bodies will be indestructible, but we don't know much more than that; the place of their eternal consignment is the operative problem for them.  In the scriptures about Lazarus the poor man and Abraham, the rich man seems to have had an interim body identical to that of Lazarus and Abraham -- the problem for him was the place he was in.  

As for sowing and reaping,  Mark 4 and Galatians 6:7, 8 are somewhat similar, with the exception that Mark 4 explains it in greater detail in the parable of the sower. As Larkin, I too have a heart for winning the lost to Christ.

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God (Heb.10:31). The subject of hell is mentioned more times than Heaven by Jesus Himself because Hell is the epitome of the worst suffering imaginable. He cares for the world, which is why He paid the ultimate price for us. The word "Gehenna" is mentioned 12 times in the New Testament. The word "Hades" is mentioned 11 times, and the word "Tartarus" is mentioned once. All of which the King James Bible translates as "hell", and all of those are real places that will one day be cast into the Lake of Fire. Somewhat like a murderer in prison awaiting his death sentence, only that "hell" is Eternal. This is one of the reasons as to why Jesus said: "And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell." (Matt.10:28).  The King James Bible uses the word "hell" more than the bible perversions. The NIV uses it 14 times, and the NASB, NKJV, RSV all use it 13 times. Case in point: Those who profess to be Christian ought to examine their lifestyle to see if they are really living for Christ, or living in sin. And the one professing to be Christian should know with 100% certainty (as 1+1 equals 2).

These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God. (1st John 5:13)

John is telling the readers that we can know (present tense) that we have eternal life. Some of the signs are:

1. Jesus Christ dwells within our hearts. (Col.1:27; 1Jn.5:12)
  2. Our prayers are answered. (Jn.14:14; 1st Jn.5:14,15)
  3. Our ability to understand the scriptures. (1Jn.5:20)
  4. Because we keep His commandments out of our love for God. (2 Cor.5:17; 1Jn.5:18)
  5. And because we LOVE our brethren. (1st Jn.3:14)

God Bless,

Daniel

Edited by (Omega)
Grammar, word choices, and additional Info

• Members

Omega,

Thank you for your posting on Chapter 18. Your thoughts are a compliment to the lesson and I appreciate them.

I also appreciate your mentioning 1 Corinthians 6:13a, "Meats for the belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both it and them."  1 Corinthians 6:13a is a message, and a study, in itself. 

2 hours ago, (Omega) said:

In the scriptures about Lazarus the poor man and Abraham, the rich man seems to have had an interim body identical to that of Lazarus and Abraham -- the problem for him was the place he was in.  

You are correct.

Larkin is scripturally proving that the rich man was conscious, tormented both physically and mentally, had recognition, and the other human facilities. Larkin has exposed the false beliefs of, 'Spiritualism,' the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Buddhists, the Taoists (a mystical Eastern religion), 'Soul-sleep,' the Annihilation of the soul, the Unitarians, and other corrupt beliefs. Larkin is presenting the correct doctrines concerning "The Spirit World," to show these people trapped in false doctrines the truth of the scriptures in an effort to win them to Christ in order to escape eternity in hell. And, to teach the believers in the churches the truth of eternal matters.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Chapter 19

The Judgments

Part 1

Chapter 19 is the last chapter in the book, 'The Spirit World.' Due to the length of this chapter, and the number of charts, I will write this overview in parts.

Larkin explains the need for the study on the Judgments with this statement, “The common opinion that the Millennium is to be ushered in by the preaching of the Gospel, and that after the Millennium there is to be a “General Resurrection” followed by a “General Judgment,' and then the earth is to be destroyed by fire is not Scriptural.”i In this study, Larkin scripturally refutes the “General Resurrection” followed by a “General Judgment,' doctrines.

Note by Alan

Larkin does not name any any of the religious denominations that believe in a “General Resurrection,” and a “General Judgment.” I will list a few of the denominations, or groups of people, that believe in a “General Resurrection,” and a “General Judgment.”

• Judaism

• Roman Catholicism

• The Presbyterian Church

• Protestant Reformed Church: www.prca.org

• Preterist

In my previous studies I used two proponents of Preterism, Charles M. Laymon and William Hendriksen, as my examples. I will give one brief quote from each of these men.

Concerning his comments on Revelation 20:11-15, Charles Laymon says, “The lake of fire in the Apocalypse is called “the second death” (20:6,14: 21:8). This is the final judgment in contrast to the first death, which is the cessation of physical life. John also speaks of “the first resurrection” (Rev. 20:5) at which time the martyrs are revived for the blessed millennium. The second resurrection presumably would be that which was related to the final judgment when all the dead, both good and evil, were raised to stand before the great white throne.”ii

Concerning his comments on Revelation 20:11-15, William Hendriksen says, “Now Christ's coming unto judgment is vividly described. John sees a Great White Throne. Upon it is seated the Christ, Matt. 25:31; Rev. 14:14. From his face the earth and the heaven flee away. Not the destruction or annihilation but the renovation of the universe is indicated here. It will be a dissolution of the elements with great heat, II Pet. 3:10; a regeneration, Matt. 19:28; a restoration of all things, Acts 3:21; and a deliverance from the bondage of corruption, Rom. 8:21. No longer will this universe be subject to “vanity”II p. 276. John sees the dead, the great and the small, standing before the Throne.12 p.276. All individuals who have ever lived on earth are seen before the Throne. The books are opened: the records of the life of every person, Dan. 7:10. also the book of life, containing the names of all believers, is opened, Rev. 3:5;13:8. The dead are judged in accordance with their works, Matt. 25:31 ff.; Rom. 14:10; II Cor. 5:10. The sea gives up its dead; so do Death and Hades. See our explanation of Rev. 1:18; 6:8. Here is the one, general resurrection of all the dead. The entire Bible teaches but one, general resurrection! Read John 5:28, 29. This one and only and general resurrection takes place at the last day. John 6:39, 40, 44, 54; Acts 24:15; Matt. 22:31; Acts 24:21; Heb. 6:213 p.276. Nowhere in the entire Bible do we read of a resurrection of the bodies of believers, followed, after a thousand years, by a resurrection of the bodies of the unbelievers. All rise at the same time.”iii

The chapter refutes the doctrines of a “General Resurrection,” and a “General Judgment,” by a detailed analysis of the scriptures that speak of the Resurrection and of Judgment.

Larkin states that there are “Five Judgments.” Larkin has all five of these judgments on the chart called, “The Judgments,” on page 146.

The Judgments

image.thumb.jpeg.7874bd0a54f3bb72ded697bbc1f5aee0.jpeg

Judgment NO. 1

Judgment for Sin”

Larkin shows that when the Lord Jesus died on the cross of Calvary the sins of mankind were judged; so, this judgment occurred in the past.

Larkin lists three verses; Romans 10:4; 8:1 & 2, and John 5:24. In this study, I will need to quote Larkin in his order, and how as he presents them; as Larkin emphasizes certain words within the verses. In Romans 8:1, and in John 5:24, Larkin, in parenthesis, adds the word 'Judgment,' and uses quotation marks and capitalization freely in all three verses.

• Romans 10:3 & 4, “For Christ is the END OF THE LAW for righteousness to every one that Believeth.”

• Romans 8:1 & 2, “There is therefore NOW no condemnation (Judgment) to them which are in CHRIST JESUS, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit; For the Law of the 'SPIRIT Of LIFE' in Christ Jesus hath made me FREE From the Law of 'Sin and Death.'

• John 5:24, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, HATH EVERLASTING LIFE, and shall not come into condemnation (Judgment); but IS PASSED From Death Unto Life.”

Larkin then states, “The “Believer's” Judgment for Sin then is PAST, and was settled at the Cross.iv

Larkin then has a discourse on the threefold judgment of the believer:

1. As a “Sinner.”

• Isaiah 53:5 & 6

2. As a “Son.”

• The warfare of the believers two natures.

• Confession of sin. 1 John 2:1 and 1:9

• Sons not Bastards. Hebrews 12:5-11

• 'Judge ourselves.' 1 Corinthians 11:31 & 32

3. As a “Servant.” The Judgment as a servant leads to Judgment # 2.

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 144

ii Laymon, Charles, M. The Book of Revelation, (New York – Nashville: Abingdon Press), 1960, Page 133

iii Hendriksen, William, More than Conquerors, (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1939, 1967), Page 235-236

iv Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 145

Edited by Alan
deleted a word spelling

• Members

Alan, I don't think that Hendriksen was a preterist.  I once went to a Baptist church who were fond of Hendiksen and they were a-mil, but believed that revelation was a series of seven parallel  visions, each covering the whole period from  John till the judgment, which is not preterism.  I have never read Hendriksen  so I can't say any more.  In fact I went to an Evangelical church on one occasion and they seemed to teach the same.