• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Clarence Larkin - The Spirit World

Alan

• Members

Chapter 7
“The Spirits in Prison”
Introduction

There is a doctrine called, “Second Chance,” that uses 1 Peter 3:18-20, and many other verses, as  proof-texts to teach that once a person dies, and descends in hell, he is offered a “second chance” to hear the gospel, repent, trust in Christ as Saviour, and is then able to leave hell (Hades or Sheol), and enter into heaven.

If you want to see how these false teachers manipulate the scriptures, use the Greek and Hebrew words (Hades and Sheol), for the afterlife, malign the King James Version with alleged 'mistakes,' and use human reasoning throughout their belief system. And, you have the 'stomach' to read through 15 pages of heretical teaching without being confused, you may visit the following website: http://www2.biglobe.ne.jp/remnant/hades.htm 

I would like the reader to remember one verse if he reads the material in either of the two websites that I am referencing to in this chapter. Colossians 2:8, “Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” All false teachers use 'human reasoning' or 'philosophy' in order to twist scriptures into a heretical belief.

The 'Worldwide Church of God, founded by, Herbert W. Armstrong, teaches a 'second chance' for the eternal salvation of the soul. http://www.rapidnet.com/~jbeard/bdm/Cults/armstrong.htm

Although the Roman Catholic church does not teach that their belief in Purgatory is a 'second chance' belief; for all practical purposes it is a 'second chance' to enter heaven after death.
                                                                                                                              Overview
Clarance Larkin wrote this chapter in order to refute the doctrine of a “Second Chance,” to escape hell (Hades or Sheol), and be saved after death and enter heaven. Larkin bases this chapter on 1 Peter 3:18-20 There is no chart for this chapter, but Larkin does refer the reader to chart on, “The Underworld,” in chapter 6, page 49.

1 Peter 3:18-20, “For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; Which sometime were disobedient, when once the long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a-preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.” Larkin believes that the,  “spirits in prison,” were angels that had sinned in the days of  Noah and uses 2 Peter 2:4 & 5, “For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment; And spared not the old world, but saved Noah the eighth person, a preacher of righteousness, bringing in the flood upon the world of the ungodly.” And then Jude 6-7 coupled with Genesis 6:1-4 I had previously commented that I am not in agreement with Larkin.

Larkin then relates that these 'fallen angels' are in “Tartarus. Larkin had previously brought out this belief in Chapter 4, “The Fallen Angels.” And, that when the Lord Jesus went to the 'Underworld' during the time between His death and resurrection He went to the “Paradise' section and emptied it of the 'righteous dead.' 

Larkin then proceeds to express his belief that the Lord Jesus personally did not preach to the 'spirits in prison' but that the Holy Spirit, through Noah, actually did the preaching to the 'spirits in prison' during his earthly ministry. Larkin then uses Genesis 6:3; 2 Peter 2:5 and gives the illustration Paul the apostle using a similar thought in Ephesians 2:17 and Acts 20:17-27

An important note in this series of belief is needed to be brought out; Larkin notes that 'preaching' does not necessarily mean 'preaching the gospel. Larkin does note that 1 Peter 4:6, “For for this cause was the gospel preached also to them that are dead, that they might be judged according to men in the flesh, but live according to God in the spirit.”  Larkin states that this is referring to the time that Noah preached to the fallen angels when they were alive and not when they were dead. 

In my thoughts while reading and studying for the chapter, I feel Larkin could have better refuted the false doctrine of a 'second chance' of escaping hell (Hades or Sheol), using other passages in the scriptures. 

Edited by Alan
formatting grammer scripture reference

• Members

Alan in reply to your above post I would just add the verse

• Hebrews 9:27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment

Regarding Armstrongism,   There is a group of the WWCOG near here  I had not realised that till one of their members began to come to our church then our seniors lunch club. He said that after Armstrong's death that they dropped all his teachings but they still met on Saturday's but they don't have to.  He also said at that time the membership dropped from 130 to 25.  I asked him if they still believed that the British are the lost ten tribes?  he said "No." but after a while said, "But I do,"   After we mentioned this sect some time ago, I received loads of ads on the site for the CCG, the  Continuing Church of God who still keep all his teachings and reissue his book.  

Edited by Invicta

• Members
On 11/8/2017 at 7:52 PM, Alan said:

Larkin spends a considerable time with a section on, “The Spirit of Samuel,” and the prophet Samuel's appearance with King Saul in 1 Samuel 28:3-25. Larkin goes into great detail in explaining that God took the matter out of the hand of the medium, the witch of Endor, and allowed the prophet Samuel to sternly rebuke King Saul for his disobedience. I agree with Larkin in the interpretation of the passage. I would recommend anyone who is in doubt on what really happened with King Saul,the witch at Endor, and the appearance of the prophet Samuel to read the interpretation by Larkin.

Brother Alan, I also agree with brother Larkin's assessment of 1 Sam.28 in regard to the spirit of Samuel. Verse 12 shows us she (the witch of Endor) was clearly taken aback "when the woman saw Samuel". 

Not to derail the study, but rather to focus for a moment on this part of scripture, and ask a question.

It's clear that Saul had been anointed of God. And even David did not slay Saul, (though numerous times he had the opportunity to do so) because David recognized that the Lord had anointed Saul. Yet Saul did sin greatly against the Lord and disobeyed Him. Saul was also jealous over David, and had sought his life. 

The question would be pertaining to 1 Sam.28:19 "Moreover the Lord will also deliver Israel with thee into the hand of the Philistines: and to morrow shalt thou and thy sons be with me: the Lord also shall deliver the host of Israel into the hand of the Philistines." 

There we see Saul's physical death foretold by Samuel. Yet Samuel said " to morrow thou and thy sons be with me".

The question would be, when Samuel said "be with me", did he mean paradise? In essence, was Saul sent to be with Samuel in paradise?

I am presuming he did. (But would like to hear your thoughts on this). I've also taken into account the numerous sins David committed. And God allowed bad things to happen to David because of those sins, and yet He called him "a man after his own heart" (1 Sam.13:14).

Thank you for your time. And I am enjoying this study. While I (also) did not concur completely with all of brother Larkin's writing in the book "The Spirit World", I did find it edifying and did find agreement scripturally in much of it. Thank you also for posting the review.

• Members
27 minutes ago, Ronda said:

The question would be, when Samuel said "be with me", did he mean paradise? In essence, was Saul sent to be with Samuel in paradise?

I am presuming he did. (But would like to hear your thoughts on this). I've also taken into account the numerous sins David committed. And God allowed bad things to happen to David because of those sins, and yet He called him "a man after his own heart" (1 Sam.13:14).

Thank you for your time. And I am enjoying this study. While I (also) did not concur completely with all of brother Larkin's writing in the book "The Spirit World", I did find it edifying and did find agreement scripturally in much of it. Thank you also for posting the review.

Ronda,

Thank you for your comments.

The question, when Samuel stated, "... be with me..." is referring to paradise to be with Samuel, or, did Samuel mean to die: like Samuel was.

In my own mind, I think the Lord had Samuel deliberately phrased it so we could not know for certain.  Personally, I lean towards the thought that the phrase, "... be with me ..." refers to the fact that Samuel was dead and that the next day King Saul and his sons would die in battle.

I also agree with you, and I have brought out several times, that in Larkin's "The Spirit World," I am somewhat disappointed in some of his thoughts.

Alan

Edited by Alan

• Members

The Spirit World

Chapter 8 Overview

“Natural Law in the Spirit World”

I do need to bring out an aspect of the chapter that is obvious if one reads the whole chapter and that may not be obvious if a person just reads this overview. Larkin only talks about the resurrection of the body of the righteous and does not reference what type of body, or spirit, that the lost will have. As one reads the chapter Larkin is trying to show how God will give us (the saved), a material body in heaven that is adapted for living in heaven. There is not a chart in this chapter neither does Larkin reference any other chart.

Larkin is trying to show that as we have a natural body in this life that is adaptable to live on this earth we (the saved saint), will have a spiritual body that will be adapted to live in heaven at the resurrection of the dead.

Larkin states that our physical body in much the same as an animal. After mentioning Genesis 2:7, Larkin states (caps and bold print are Larkin's), “While man differs from a beast in having a “Spirit,” yet he is as to his body only an ANIMAL. That is, his body is formed on the same general plan, and governed by the same laws, and its organs, and functions of respiration, digestion, and assimilation, are the same as those of an animal.”i I feel Larkin is not completely correct. Man was made in the “image of God” (Genesis 1:26 & 27), while all other creatures were not and man was made on the sixth day instead of the fifth day. Man was made upright, and has other characteristics, that place him distinctly different from animals.

Larkin gives this explanation concerning the “natural” body(caps and bold print are Larkin's), “When the Apostle Paul speaks of the “Natural” body (1 Cor. 15:44) he refers to the “Animal” body, and when he speaks of the “Spiritual” body he means a MATERIAL BODY adapted to the realm of the “Spirit World,” for the “Spirit World” is just as much MATERIAL as the “Natural World” in which we dwell. We cannot imagine heavenly beings and places without material forms and substances”ii

Larkin then comments on 1 Corinthians 15:39-40, within parenthesis marks in the verses, to explain his thoughts (caps and bold print are Larkin's), “All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of MEN, another flesh of BEASTS, another of FISHES, and another of BIRDS. There are also 'CELESTIAL BODIES' (Spirit bodies), and 'BODIES TERRESTRIAL' (human bodies); but the glory of the CELESTIAL is one, and the glory of the TERRESTRIAL is another.”iii

Larkin then explains how the flesh of all animals are adapted to the environment to which it lives in. He states, “From this we see that our “Human” body is adapted to this physical world in which we now live, and at the resurrection we shall receive a body adapted to the “Spirit World.”iv

The rest of the chapter deals as there are Laws of Physics here on earth there will be Laws of Physics in heaven and Larkin then gives examples of his meaning.

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 65

ii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 65

iii Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 65

iv Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 67

Brethren,

Looking forward to any comments.

Alan

Edited by Alan
grammer

• Administrators

I would agree that man's body would, on the surface, and casually looking at the sameness as an animal, seem to be the same. But that is where the "sameness" stops, as you pointed out, man is made in the image of God.

We also only have to look as far as the spirit type body that Jesus had after His resurrection:  John 20:26  And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you. 
 27 Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
We see in this one verse alone that Jesus' body has both physical, as well as spiritual aspects to it. And then we are told this:  1John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. 

But he also argues against his own premise of the sameness when he says: “All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of MEN, another flesh of BEASTS, another of FISHES, and another of BIRDS."

And then there is the observable difference between men and beasts. Man has within him the "awareness" of the spiritual, which no animal possesses. This is true of even the most primitive peoples. God has placed within all mankind the awareness of the  spiritual, which no animal possesses.

If I am not understanding his comments correctly, please correct me. It's early morning here as I write and my thinking processes are not the best when I first wake up. More coffee will help.  :think_smiley_50:

• Members

Jim, I believe that you are understanding Larkin's position correctly.  This is why I brought out my comment like I did.

The flesh of man, our physical body, is different from the flesh of animals, along with the "awareness" that you mentioned.

As this thread is dealing with just an overview, I did not dwell much on the differences; but I did want to point it out. I appreciate you adding your comments to this matter. Your comments give us a better understanding.

Alan

• Members

I agree with Alan. We cry, tears comes out of our tear ducts. We eat, and whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught. We get cut, we bleed. The Celestial body would have no need for those. I wouldn't be surprised if what we eat in Eternity will become part of our body in a way completely different from our "body of death" (physical body - Rom.7:24) It is not a spiritual body in the sense that it's non-corporeal, and cannot be felt or touched. It is a body of Spirit, that is...designed to serve God to the Highest, praise Him in the Highest, Glorify Him in the Highest. Keeping God's commandment is spiritual, praising God is spiritual, sacrificial love is spirital, etc. Therefore, we have a spirit body. Jim Alaska made a good point on being in the "image" of God. A lion is not guilty of murder if it eats another animal in a prey. Animals cannot be guilty of that, but we (made in God's image) would be guilty. I look forward to my Glorified body where our worship, praises, singing songs, serving God in endless ways in a new Universe will be amplified because our "Spirit" (designed to worship God) body will be designed in such a manner.

God Bless,

Daniel

• Members

Thanks bro Daniel. Adam was created in the image of God, Adam sinned, then Adam begat a son after his own image, not the image of God.

• Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:

• Administrators

Invicta,

Adam's son Seth, looked like Adam, there was a resemblance to his father. Many children look like their parent, this is not a change in man's nature i.e. being created in the image of God.  1Cor 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 

Mankind is created in the image of God. Just because a son looks like his father does not mean his nature is changed. Man is not an animal. The birth of Seth was a natural birth, nothing new was created here. Adam was a new creation. Birth and creation are different.

• Members
3 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

Invicta,

Adam's son Seth, looked like Adam, there was a resemblance to his father. Many children look like their parent, this is not a change in man's nature i.e. being created in the image of God.  1Cor 11:7 For a man indeed ought not to cover his head, forasmuch as he is the image and glory of God: but the woman is the glory of the man. 

Mankind is created in the image of God. Just because a son looks like his father does not mean his nature is changed. Man is not an animal. The birth of Seth was a natural birth, nothing new was created here. Adam was a new creation. Birth and creation are different.

Thank you brother Jim.  I will try to remember that.   

• Members
On 11/22/2017 at 6:51 AM, Jim_Alaska said:

Invicta,

To Invicta,

I am very concerned with your teachings, as they can mislead those who are not mature in the Word and drink milk only.

I wholeheartedly agree with Bro Jim. Invicta, you're thinking carnally when you misinterpret the word "image". When God shelters us under his wings, does that mean that he has literal wings and they flap? Is Jesus really a door with a knob and hinges? Jim's post make a lot of sense because Adam was actually referred to as "The Son of God". Jesus was the Second Adam, The Sinless Son of God. Sinless means that He was not capable of sinning.

Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan, Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God. (Luke 3:37,38)

Adam being referred to as the "Son of God" in the genealogy means that Adam was made in God's image. Adam has a conscious of his existence. An owl doesn't say to itself, "I think, therefore I am". A deer doesn't ponder what happens when it dies? A tiger cannot be guilty of murder if it eats a goat in a prey. Because they are not made in God's image, man is.

God "The Father" has no literal image. He is invisible.

In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins: Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: (Colossians 1:14,15)

If Jesus is in the "IMAGE" of the "INVISIBLE" God, how then can the word image be literal? 

And he that sat was to look upon like a jasper and a sardine stone: and there was a rainbow round about the throne, in sight like unto an emerald. (Revelation 4:3) This is referring to God the Father.

The book of Revelation has to be carefully interpreted according to its context. Jasper in those times refers to a crystalline stone, like a Diamond. The more clear and translucent a diamond is, the more costly. It is referring to the absolute purity and holiness of God, and His Majesty and Glory. Also notice that the book of Revelation only mentions ONE throne, but BOTH the Father and the Son is seated on it.

And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him: And they shall see his face; and his name shall be in their foreheads. (Revelation 22:3,4)

"The" Throne, which is a definite article -- one throne. The throne which has God and the Lamb (2 people), and it switches to serve HIM in the same verse. HIM is not two, but one, yet two are on the throne. It doesn't say...see THEIR face, it says see HIS face. When you see the face of God in Eternity, it will be the face of Jesus Christ Himself. The Father's Glory will shine through Him, and the Holy Spirit will dwell in us all.

And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof. (Revelation 21:23)

Do you see in that verse how they are ONE in absolute essence and Being?

Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. (John 14:11)

Hope this helps Invicta!

God Bless,

Daniel

• Members

Chapter 9

The Relation of the Spirit World

to the Natural World

In this chapter Clarence Larkin explains the relationship, and harmony, of the work of the Lord Jesus in the Old Testament dispensation, and the ministry of the angels. There is no chart for this chapter nor does Larkin refer to another chart in the book. I feel that this chapter has a wealth of spiritual guidance for the saints and will help us understand our relationship with the work of the Lord in our lives for protection, guidance, and instruction.

The Fall of the Walls of Jericho in Joshua 6:1-27

The fall of the walls of Jericho by the leadership of Joshua, and the obedience of the armies of Israel, and the long blast of the horns by the priests and the shouting of the people at the proper moment, is a unique story that has not been repeated since that time. Larkin adequately shows that the natural explanations put forth by men: an earthquake, or a “concussion” caused by the shouting, or the blare of the trumpets, at the exact moment of the fall of the walls, are not correct and that only a spiritual explanation is the only logical, and correct, explanation.

Larkin explains that Joshua was ordered by, “… the captain of the host of the LORD ...”Joshua 5:14 to follow the plan of battle that was accomplished in Joshua 6:1-27 Due to their complete obedience, the Captain of the host of the LORD, and the angelic hosts, actually was the cause of the walls of Jericho falling down.

Larkin explains (Exodus 3:1-6 along with Joshua 6:15), that the Captain of the Host of the Lord, was the Lord Jesus Christ before His incarnation.

Larkin then explains that the situation is the same as the battle at the “Mulberry Trees” with David and the Philistines in 1 Chronicles 14:13-17

The Star of Bethlehem

Matthew 2:9

Larkin re-accounts the story of the wise men from “the east” in search of the “King of the Jews,” Matthew 2:1-18

Larkin recounts the various explanations of the star: that it was a special star, or a comet, or a meteor, or a conjunction of three stars or planets. Larkin give a adequate explanation that the motions of the star clearly indicates that it could be none of these natural occurring phenomenons of the natural world.

Larkin explains that the 'star' “went before them,” then disappeared, and then “stood” over the house, Luke 2:9 & 10, where the Lord Jesus was then living.

Please take careful note. The Lord Jesus was a young child at this time, was not in a stable but in a house. Matthew 2:9-11, “When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy. And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh.”

Larkin states that the 'star' was an angel who assumed the form of a star.

“Star Our of Jacob”

Numbers 24:15-17

Larkin references the reader to Numbers 24:15-17 and to Revelation 9:1

The Ministry of Angels

Larkin gives an overview of the ministry of angels protecting those who will be heirs of salvation, Hebrews 1:13-14 and the physical protection of the nation of Israel: 2 Kings 19:32-36

Larkin gives numerous examples from the book of Genesis to the book of Revelation. Here is a list of scriptures that Larkin uses as examples. I will list them according to Larkin's order.

• Hebrews 1:13-14

• Psalm 91:11-12

• Genesis 3:24

• Genesis 19:1-29

• Genesis 28:10-19

• 1 Kings 19:4-8

• 2 Kings 6:13-18

• 2 Kings 19:32-36

• Daniel 6:19-22

• Matthew 2:13 & 19

• Matthew 4:11

• Luke 22:43

• Acts 5:19; 12:5-10

• Acts 27:21-24

• Matthew 24:31

• Matthew 13:47-50

• 2 Thessalonians 1:7-8

Besides the proceeding thoughts that Larkin brings out, I feel that the last sentence in this chapter will be a spiritual blessing to all of us. Larkin states, “Lastly, as the heavens are peopled with the “Principalities and Powers of Evil,”and Paradise the abode of the “Righteous Dead” is now in the “Third Heaven,” we shall need the convoy of “Good Angels” as a bodyguard to protect us from these evil and malicious Spirits, when at death our Soul takes its flight to Paradise.”i

i Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 81

Edited by Alan
rephrased the first sentence grammer

• Members

Clarence Larkin said, “Lastly, as the heavens are peopled with the “Principalities and Powers of Evil,”and Paradise the abode of the “Righteous Dead” is now in the “Third Heaven,” we shall need the convoy of “Good Angels” as a bodyguard to protect us from these evil and malicious Spirits, when at death our Soul takes its flight to Paradise.”1

Larkin was referring to, but he did not reference the passage, Luke 16:22

In Luke 16:22 we read of Lazarus being carried, after his death, to 'Abraham's bosom.' “And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried.”

At this time, 'Abraham's bosom,' is heaven; in the presence of God, the Lord Jesus, and the saints. When a saint dies, his soul is immediately in the Spirit and he is escorted into the presence of the Lord Jesus in the accompaniment of the angels as Lazarus was carried into 'Abraham's bosom.'

I like how John Bunyan, in Pilgrim's Progress, when Christian and Hopeful were about to cross the 'River' into the 'Celestial city,' said, “Then I saw in my dream that Christian was in a muse a while; to whom also Hopeful added this word, 'Be of good cheer, Jesus Christ maketh thee whole.' And with that, Christian brake out with a loud voice, 'Oh I see him again! And he tells me, When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee, and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee.' Then they both took courage, and the enemy was after that as still as a stone, until they were gone over. Christian therefore presently found ground to stand upon; and so it followed that the rest of the River was but shallow. Thus they got over. Now upon the bank of the River, on the other side, they saw the two shining men again who there waited for them. Wherefore being come up out of the river they saluted them, saying, 'We are ministering Spirits, sent forth to minister for those that shall be heirs of salvation.' Thus they went along towards the Gate; now you must note that the City stood upon a mighty hill, but the pilgrims went up that hill with ease, because they had these two men to lead them up by the arms; also they had left their mortal garments behind them in the River: for though they went in with them, they came out without them. They therefore went up here with with much agility and speed, though the foundation upon which the City was framed was higher than the clouds. They therefore went up through the regions of the air, sweetly talking as they went, being comforted because they safely got over the River, and had such glorious companions to attend them. … and when you come there you shall have white robes given you, and your walk and talk shall be every day with the King, even all the days of eternity.”2

1 Larkin, Clarence The Spirit World, (Glenside, PA: Rev. Clarence Larkin Estate), 1921, page 81

2 Bunyan, John The Pilgrim's Progress, (Baltimore: Penguin Books, n.d.,), 199-200.

Edited by Alan
added a reference

• Members

Thanks for continuing to share Bro Alan. I was watching the History channel and some "scholar" of quackery suggested that the Star of Bethlehem was a UFO. I couldn't stop laughing. The only thing behind these UFO's are demonic beings, and the Prince of the power of the air (i.e., Satan) is running the show. The word "air" literally refers to the atmospheric heaven, and sometimes the cosmic heaven. Paul even further stated that the "mystery of iniquity" was already at work in his time. Satan is called the god of this world because the majority of this world is in darkness and love to live knee deep in sin, or more. Moving on...I recall a Christian woman at work whose Mother was about to pass away. She stood by her mother's side until she passed. But before she passed, she saw angels ready to accompany her to God's Kingdom. God is the God of ALL comfort (2 Cor.1:3). If you're having a feeling of dread and an ominous abode, you're more than likely without God. I believe in my heart of hearts that it will be the smoothest transition from physical death to being in the Presence of God if you are truly a blood bought Christian. You WILL see angels, and they WILL accompany you to God's Eternal Kingdom. What can be more elating than that? Some agnostics and atheists believe that the word "death" refers to annihilation or complete cessation of life, but they could not be further from the truth. Death simply means "separation" from something from which it belongs. The body without the spirit is "dead" (James 2:26). Faith without works is "dead" (James 2:17). Maranatha!

Edited by (Omega)
Additional response