• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Bible software for Linux

Invicta

• Members

I wish to install Bible software for Linux I do have a DVD with the OnlineBible, which says it will install under Wine, but when I try to install it to USB stick it says I don't seem to have administrative rights for that operation of that drive. 

I looked on some websites and one recommended Sword (It said the Linusx version was Xiphos) or Word.   

1. Has anybody tried either of these? 
  2. How would I download and install one of these.

PS The laptop mentioned in my previous thread just went click and failed again.   It worked for a month, but I didn't use it every day.

• Members

I've tried Xiphos and there's another Bible program for Linux that I've tried. Both can be installed with Synaptic. However, I didn't like either of them personally. I didn't like how they looked, and both were confusing trying to figure out how to use.

Not sure why you're not available to use the CD player. 

If OnlineBible is available as a free download, you can install it with Wine that way. You should be able to install almost any Bible program that you download from the internet with Wine. I use theWord, and install it with Wine.

• Members

I just found that my hard drive is not entirely dead,  It does not boot up and it seems to list most of my directories but all the files are missing, except for some under program files.  It says the disk is OK but that there are 2064 bad sectors,  so I thought I would try to install the Online Bible on to that.  It seems to have worked but I don't know for how long.   The program just crashed so not working too well so far,

Edited by Invicta

• Members

Online Bible seems to be working fairly well now,

I did install theWord But that is not working well.  I can only get it to run in a small window that only takes about ½ of the screen,.

• Members

Okay...good...I'm glad it's better!

Yes, that is normal for theWord when it first opens (the Maximize button doesn't work for some reason). If you ever want to try it again, this is what I do to make it full-screen...

1. Grab the window's title bar with my mouse and move it to the complete left-side and to the top of the screen.

2. Then grab the bottom right corner of the window, and pull it down (and to the right) with the mouse until it's the size that I want. :)

It should remember that size the next time you open it, but I can't say for sure...because I never stop after that. After I install theWord and resize the window, I then set it up how I want...then I save the layout with the Layout icon on the top of the screen. It always reopens the way that I set it up after that.

TheWord was a little hard to figure out the very first time I tried it, but I've installed it so many times now that I can resize it, make it look like I want, and change the settings to what I want in just a couple of minutes. LOL!

• Members
16 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

2. Then grab the bottom right corner of the window, and pull it down (and to the right) with the mouse until it's the size that I want. :)

Thanks Bro, but that doesn't work.  When I try to grab the bottom right, it either does nothing or closes the window.

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

Thanks Bro, but that doesn't work.  When I try to grab the bottom right, it either does nothing or closes the window.

Hmmm...that's weird.

Ahhh...I wonder...did you press the Maximize button on its window? It seems like I did that once and had trouble resizing the window...because it "thought" it was already maximized. Took me a while to figure out to click it again. Try clicking the Maximize button and try it again. I can't remember the particulars, but if it still won't let you resize it after that. Close it, reopen it, and then see if you can resize it.

Also, since this is a Windows program on Linux, it's a little more testy in how it behaves. There isn't as much leeway in the area where you grab the corner.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

I just tried to download theword.net on my Windows laptop and got the message from my ISP.

Harmful website blocked

This site  has been reported as harmful,

We recommend that you do not visit this site

I have Online bible on DVD, but that only works for a short time then gives errors. I suspect this is because it is Unicode and I also have Quicken accounts program and that is non Unicode.

When I tried to install it yesterday, it said it was already installed and I have to uninstall it first. But in the past when I tried to uninstall it, it said it wasn't necessary to uninstall it first..

This morning I went into settings to uninstall it and it wasn't listed in the apps.  In the past it was listed but I got the major Windows 10 update a couple of days ago so that might have something to do with it.

Edited by Invicta