• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

New Forum Area?

Interested in a "Music Sounding Board" area?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would there be interest in an area to ask questions concerning musical theory, vocal tips, instrument questions or similar?

• Sure, I may have questions and/or answers.
    • Sure, sounds like something I would read.
    • Don't care one way or the other.
    • Definitely not interested.

• Moderators

Just a thought. I know there is a wide range of musical knowledge and ability here. From "I wish I could but am embarrassed by my total ignorance" (self-perceived ignorance) to "I've been trained!" (so have sea lions) and everything in between.

I'm wondering if there's enough interest to warrant its own space (like the Homesteading area).

My thoughts were: 1) It should be under the IFB area to reduce potential problems.  2) It should be for Q&A, tips, and so forth NOT debate on music style or genre.  3) It should be a place welcome to all levels from "Have an interest though not doing anything with it yet" to "I write, compose, play and sing".  4) Questions or discussion could revolve around vocals (How to protect my vocal chords when I have a cold), strings (What's the difference between a fiddle and a violin), piano (When I look at the hymnal I mostly see 4 note chord blocking but most pianist play more than that -- where do you get the extra?), other instruments (I can't think of a trumpet or clarinet question to put here) or music theory (Other than the main 3 chords in a key, how do I find others that probably 'work'? Or "What makes a chord, a chord?").  4) If the questions are just in the generic music thread they get buried amongst songs, etc (Like the one on power chords 2 years ago) and someone looking for the first time (new IFB member, etc) won't know it's there.

Yes, many can be Googled, many will frustrate you --- "Gospel Music" piano and guitar videos will usually be a la Stevie Wonder, Muddy Waters, etc. Bass is even worse for selection

ANYWAY, all that to say --- let's see what the poll reveals and if there's enough interest we'll get the (other) Mods' and the Admins' thoughts on it.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Invicta said:

I would be interested in reading, but not posting as my musical knowledge is limited..

I'll take that as a vote for the second option: "Sure, sounds like something I would read." 

Actually, everyone's knowledge is limited (but I understand what you're saying). So, maybe you'd post a question there if one develops.

• Members

Just voted. Sorry OFP; I meant to vote before now, but with all that's going on...it slipped my feeble mind.

I would like to read (my vote). Since I've only had one music lesson in my life (when I was 14 years old), and I'm self-taught, and since I can't really read music because I'm self-teachifying myself in that area too, and since my self-teachification of reading music only applies to a Recorder...I wouldn't be much of a question answerer. However, a forum for such does indeed stir my interest.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Just voted. Sorry OFP; I meant to vote before now, but with all that's going on...it slipped my feeble mind.

I would like to read (my vote). Since I've only had one music lesson in my life (when I was 14 years old), and I'm self-taught, and since I can't really read music because I'm self-teachifying myself in that area too, and since my self-teachification of reading music only applies to a Recorder...I wouldn't be much of a question answerer. However, a forum for such does indeed stir my interest.

The self-taught also find and learn things in their time of self-taughtedness. You and I are probably building the basis for a brand new dictionary.

That's one reason I've tended to hesitate on posting videos is because I'm self taught but I've had people learn something here and there in spite of that --- soooo.

• Members

I've been hesitant to vote for several personal reasons. I cannot sing well, the only instrument I can play is the CD player (and I even have problems with that technology sometimes due to all of the options), and my time is limited in learning other subjects (my plate is full of other  subjects I am learning. 

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Alan said:

I've been hesitant to vote for several personal reasons. I cannot sing well, the only instrument I can play is the CD player (and I even have problems with that technology sometimes due to all of the options), and my time is limited in learning other subjects (my plate is full of other  subjects I am learning. 

Please indulge my story telling. It was around 2000 or 2001, another electrician and I were working on the new baseball stadium buildings and he had his CD player outside the building playing. He says, Hey Cliff, would you flip that CD over when this song ends? Reluctantly, I dropped what I was doing (after all, I was on the ground level devices and he was working on ceiling fixtures) and headed out there. Halfway there I hear him start to cackle, "Just messing with you man, they only have one side!"  Hmmn, maybe I oughtta crawl out from under my rock more often.

• Administrators
22 hours ago, Salyan said:

I dunno.. we have the IFB lounge already. 

My personal opinion is that forums tend to get bogged down with different forums for each subject. Just looking through the forums list on the main page gets tiresome. This is just one reason I use the "unread content" feature, because it lets me see at a glance what I have not read and what is new content without scrolling  down a whole page of different forums.

Forums like the lounge allow for many different subjects in just one forum.