• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Revived laptop

Invicta

• Members

Some months ago, I spilt a cup of coffee over my other (newer) laptop.  The lid was closed but the PC died straight away. I stood it on end and about 24 hrs later I tried it again and it worked for about 30 minutes then just died again,  I tried a number of times over that period but it did not work. Also tried my local repair man from time to time, but couldn't contact him This evening I plugged it in and it booted up.  It seemed to work but was very slow.  I have left it charging in the other room.  It may peck up  later. All my files are on it which I thought I had lost, I will have to back them up.

Edited by Invicta

• Moderators

It helps dry out electronics. When I dumped my iPhone in a bucket of water, I packed it in a plastic bag bag full of rice for a couple days – it came out the other end still working!

Course, I also had a piece of rice stuck in a port for the next couple years...

• Members
4 minutes ago, No Nicolaitans said:

Sorry, I'm embarrassed to say this, but that's beyond my knowledge.

Thanks I suppose we all have our limits. What I have been doing is typing a word in google and if it finds it I copy it into the text. That is rather long winded.  It is a slow procedure anyway as my wife is the one who speaks French but doesn't use the computer, so she dictates it, I type it print it out and she corrects it. She used the PC back in the DOS days.  She used WordPerfect and printed out a list of all the codes, but gave up when windows came in and she had a major illness. and her computer died at the same time so she never used one again.  It was her that made me buy a computer in the first place, she was doing home tuition with a pupil who could not go to school and he had been bought a computer and she thought she ought to learn how to use one  to keep up with him.  That was before IBM brought out the first PC.

• Members
15 minutes ago, Invicta said:

Thanks I suppose we all have our limits. What I have been doing is typing a word in google and if it finds it I copy it into the text. That is rather long winded.  It is a slow procedure anyway as my wife is the one who speaks French but doesn't use the computer, so she dictates it, I type it print it out and she corrects it. She used the PC back in the DOS days.  She used WordPerfect and printed out a list of all the codes, but gave up when windows came in and she had a major illness. and her computer died at the same time so she never used one again.  It was her that made me buy a computer in the first place, she was doing home tuition with a pupil who could not go to school and he had been bought a computer and she thought she ought to learn how to use one  to keep up with him.  That was before IBM brought out the first PC.

Don't know if this will help...or if it's easy to understand...

https://www.lawlessfrench.com/faq/type-accents/type-accents-in-linux/

• Members

Thanks Bro,

I found the  character map and you can do it from there.  You have to  copy the character and paste them in as far as I can see.

the word I was tying to type was rentrée I can do it now, but it is rather long winded,

You can type in your text and add the accented characters and copy the whole passage.as I did in the above line.

• Members

I found that pressing the ALT GR key with 4 gives € with 5 gives ½an d 6 gives ¾

I use all of those.

Also writer you can enter insert   -  special character and enter them from there  

I found this on the web but I couldn't find a keyboard configuration tool .

Compose is usually the answer. Your distro should have a keyboard configuration tool that enables you to designate a compose key: the Windows menu key (is that the name for the thing to the left of the right control?) is a good choice.
Then you have things like
Compose ^ e for ê
Compose 1 2 for ½
Compose + - for ±
The list is endless 

Edited by Invicta

• Members
2 hours ago, Invicta said:

I found that pressing the ALT GR key with 4 gives € with 5 gives ½an d 6 gives ¾

I use all of those.

Also writer you can enter insert   -  special character and enter them from there  

I found this on the web but I couldn't find a keyboard configuration tool .

Compose is usually the answer. Your distro should have a keyboard configuration tool that enables you to designate a compose key: the Windows menu key (is that the name for the thing to the left of the right control?) is a good choice.
Then you have things like
Compose ^ e for ê
Compose 1 2 for ½
Compose + - for ±
The list is endless 

Hmmm...not sure on a Great Britain keyboard layout. Sounds like that ALT GR key is already set for Compose? I'm not sure though, plus I'm not familiar with an ALT GR key...is that specific to the Great Britain keyboard?

Normally, the Windows key has the Windows icon on it. Some laptops don't have a Windows key. If that's your case, you should be able to designate any key as the Compose key...just choose one that you don't normally use.

You do have a keyboard configuration tool though. Look on the right side of your task bar and see if the letters GB (or the British flag) are showing. If either are there, you either left-click or right-click on it to bring up the tool's options for adding other layouts etc.

If GB or the flag isn't showing, I'll be back in a little bit to tell you how to add it onto your task bar. It's easy to do, but I'm not at a computer right now to double-check the procedure...

Edited by No Nicolaitans

• Members

Okay...if after reading my post above, you don't have either GB or the British flag showing on your task bar already, here are the steps to get it to show...

1. Right-click any empty space on your task bar.

2. In the window that appears, click Add / Remove Panel Items

3. In the window that appears, click the +Add button

4. In the window that appears, find and click Keyboard Layout Handler, then click the +Add button at the bottom of that window (there are also many other items here that can be added to the task bar)

That will add it to your task bar. The window from step 3 will still be open. If you want to move the Keyboard Layout Handler to a different position on your task bar, find it in the list of that window (it should be at the bottom). Click on it, then use the arrow keys of that window to move it where you'd like it.

Now, here is a link to a Lubuntu page showing how to designate your Compose key with the Keyboard Layout Handler. :14_relaxed:

http://lubuntu.me/tip-compose-key/

• Members

Thanks Bro,

OK I have set the keyboard on the desktop.

Some instructions I have seen say use the right WIN key, but I have only one on the left.

The bottom row on my keyboard from the left, is

CTRL,  FN,   WIN,  ALT,  SPACE ,   ALT GR,  Next key is a box with 3 horizontal lines, CTRL.

I should have said it is SHIFT plus ALT GR,  plus the character SHIFT + ALT GR then 1 then 3 gives ⅓.  I never managed to find that on Windows.

• Members
21 hours ago, No Nicolaitans said:

I don't recall ever seeing a Windows key on the right either, but there are pictures that I've just seen of it. I guess it depends on the manufacturer? I don't know. 

So are you all set up now then? 

I would like to change the compose key to the WIN key.  I had a page which told you how to do it, but I managed to close the page down while I was trying to follow the instructions