• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Does Your Church Constitution Have...

• Moderators

Not much to it, but here it is.
I should look and see if I can find the notes from Pastor's epic (3 week, 4 hour) sermon on repentance that he preached when the issue of the definition of this was splitting our church. O.o

Salvation

We believe that God in His love and mercy has provided eternal salvation through the perfect redemptive and substitutionary atonement of our Lord Jesus who bore all the sins of the world in His own body. The conditions of salvation are repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ; that it is totally of grace through faith, apart from any human works or effort, plus or minus nothing; that it is freely given to all who will receive it. Man cannot obtain salvation apart from the convicting and renewing work of the Holy Spirit and the Word of God.

Romans 5:8; I Peter 2:24; I John 2:2; Acts 20:21; Ephesians 2:8-9; John 6:37,44; John 3:5; Romans 10:17.

• Moderators

Ah, but remember, if the wording in your definition doesn't match the wording I use in my definition then you're wrong because the wording you used makes my brain think of the wrong definition even though we both believe the same definition.

And that, children, is how many (probably most) splits over word usage take place.  We know it's not a "take reckoning of your sins and get rid of them then come to Jesus". But, does that turn or change  take place in heart, head or attitude? If you say any one or combination of the three --- the folks who use one or more of the others now are willing to leave the church or run you from it.

• Moderators
21 minutes ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Ah, but remember, if the wording in your definition doesn't match the wording I use in my definition then you're wrong because the wording you used makes my brain think of the wrong definition even though we both believe the same definition.

YES!!!! I am convinced that that was the real issue behind the split (well, that and pride). Because I know neither side believes in a works salvation, but to hear the descriptions of the 'others' beliefs, you'd think we both did. *rolleyes*

• Moderators

If the Lord had not called me into the ministry I would have lived where the mountain goats had trouble getting there and contrails from 3 aircraft per month meant I've seen too many people (other than my IMMEDIATE family). 

• Members
20 hours ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

If the Lord had not called me into the ministry I would have lived where the mountain goats had trouble getting there and contrails from 3 aircraft per month meant I've seen too many people (other than my IMMEDIATE family). 

INCLUDING his immediate family. :15_1_63:

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Musician4God1611 said:

INCLUDING his immediate family. :15_1_63:

Ha, do you feel unloved, unwanted, disrespected?                 

Got tools? They better not be mine.

• Members
3 minutes ago, OLD fashioned preacher said:

Ha, do you feel unloved, unwanted, disrespected?                 

Got tools? They better not be mine.

It's ok, I'm used to feeling that way. I'm in the ministry. :4_6_4:

(For all you overly sensitive, "waiting for something to criticize" people out there, that was a joke).

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Musician4God1611 said:

(For all you overly sensitive, "waiting for something to criticize" people out there, that was a joke).

I wouldn't have added this, it's more fun to sit back and watch them make a fool of themselves.

Remember, don't let people stress you out --- stress them out, it's easier on your health (and more fun too).

• Administrators

Heh - appreciate all the input. Our church is in the process of re-writing its constitution. Actually, it's not a re-write, it's an original writing. They have been using the constitution of the church which founded this one. It is quite lengthy and contains things which, biblically, don't belong (plus, it's so lengthy it's daunting to even consider reading it). We actually had the salvation article done, but I was recently reading an article by a pastor who recommended a strong statement on repentance being placed into the constitution for the benefit of future members, and as a protection against a new pastor possibly bringing in the no repentance heresy.  Of course, the new pastor could change the constitution, but the hope would be that the members wouldn't allow it. I mentioned it to my hubs, and he agreed it would likely be a good idea to add it. 

Of course, OFP, your point is well taken (and the humor much appreciated) about the wording. Happily, to this point the members are quite satisfied with what my hubs has presented to them. He has simplified things, defined words, and cut down on the number of verses (there were literally at least 2 dozen after every point - not that having the listing of the verses is wrong, but the question was: is it necessary to have every scripture that even seems to refer to the topic...we all agreed that it isn't.), and cut out some, as I said, unbiblical things.

So I was wondering if anyone had included wording on it. We don't want it to read as though it is a work, but we don't want it to read as 1-2-3 pray after me, either.  I'm sure hubs will come up with something good, but it never hurts to get input of others who are knowledgeable about scripture. 

• Moderators

Ha! Our church basically had the same thing - which wasn't a bad thing (it wasn't as unwieldy as yours sounds like), but it included references to some procedures that only make sense in big churches. Like stating that the Clerk and Treasurer must have previously served as deacons. Only problem was that for a majority of the church's history, the Clerk and Treasurer have both been women (no, we were not deacons!).  We finally got that updated a few years ago.

Here's the online version, if you'd like to read it. I feel like the print copy is longer...

http://victorybaptistsherwoodpark.ca/what-we-believe.php