• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

spin off of "wedding" thread....

• Administrators
Dh will want to buy something and I know we can't afford it. I try to tell him we can't afford it ... I simply tell him how much money we have (or DON'T have in most cases! LOL)' date=' what bills are due and when, etc, and let him make the decission. He normally ends up making the same decission I would have in the first place.[/quote']
This pretty much sums up what my folks do, too.

Guest Guest

I do the finances in our marriage. I would love for my hubby to do them, but after endless conversations...he refuses to do them. Yes, LuAnne...you are right about finances putting too much stress on a woman, IMO. My hubby doesn't seem to to get that, though. :lol

Guest Guest
Maybe these constant fevers have fried my mind' date=' but could someone explain just what they mean by "the stress" of taking care of the finances?[/quote']

Well, I believe how other Christians have stated it, John. I believe that God intended a man to do the finances. Your mind is not fried. :lol Women, because we are wired differently, have trouble with finances and this causes stress, IMO. My suggestion is to have the man take care of finances. However, hubby thinks I do a great job... :lol He wants me to do the finances. God bless his heart. :smile

• Members

I take care of the finances in my household. Numbers are my thing. Not that my wife could not handle it, but I enjoy it. With that said, when I was growing up my mother took care of the finances. When mom and dad first got married dad took care of it, but wanted mom to know what was going on in case of something happening to him. Pretty soon she was taking care of it for the family. Growing up she was my best friend. We talked about everything. I never once heard her say a word about it being hard on her nerves. She was wired in such a way that it came easy for her. Her check book always balanced to the penny. I believe if you will look at the virtuios woman she took care of a certain amount of finances. Her husband trusts in her, and has no need of spoil. He does not have to hide the money from her. She went out and bought a field. She makes fine linen and sells it. She delivers girdles to the merchants. And after all this he says "She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." She is buying and selling. It would seem to me that she is at least very involved in the finances of her family. This is not to say the woman has to take care of the finances, but that if she wants involved her husband should let her. If he does not he is not letting her be virtuois.

Guest Guest

One of the reasons that my hubby likes me to handle the finances is because he says that I am frugal. My sister is the same way, and she handles her family's finances. My mom always did, too. She "coined" the word frugal :lol ...but, is very generous at the same time. I "try" to model my mom's example as does my sister.

I know this is a compliment, but in the long winter months it can get hairy. :eek My hubby says he doesn't want to be in charge of the money because he thinks he'll overspend. I really don't know? We have never tried him handling the money for the "almost" 8 years we have been married. He says he doesn't want to "fix something that isn't broken."

• Members
Maybe these constant fevers have fried my mind' date=' but could someone explain just what they mean by "the stress" of taking care of the finances?[/quote']

Here's a good example...............absent minded hubby used debit card multiple times and misplaces the receipt/and or forgets to tell the finance upkeep person, oops! an overdraft notice comes.....who gets in trouble? Ahh, now if the finance person is the same person who is the absent minded one, and that person is the one who's the head of the household.................a lesson is learned, no one gets in trouble, AND guess what? The bank account never goes below again due to the embarrassment it caused the first time it happened to the upset hubby once he took over. :Green It is just what works for us. Like I said earlier, having responsibility without authority is very frustrating. Now, it is on his shoulders and he does both fine.

Guest Guest
hmmmmm' date=' where have I heard that before??I know, my DH! LOL[/quote']

I love it! I am not the only one that has heard that phrase? Praise God. :clap:

• Members

I take care of all of the finances and budgeting in our home but that's just because my husband is a mega spender and not a saver and we would end up with $5 at the end of every month if I didn't. He just has no concept of a budget and although he never spends beyond his means, he just doesn't think to the future about saving or anything.

• Members

Ahhhh, now that I can understand. My sister takes care of the finances in their house and her husband has forgotten to tell her about using the debit card several times.

I didn't even think about that. I was just wondering because while my Mom was alive she handled the finances and I never noticed her stressed over anything. Of course, their financial system didn't involve any debit cards or credit cards either. Since Mom passed away I'm the one who takes care of Dad's checkbook, making out the bills and that sort of thing.