• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

And the ark rested......

• Members

My wife kept asking what the types of wood were. So I found western red cedar, eastern red cedar, spruce, fir, yellow pine, pressure-treated yellow pine, plywood, oak and mahogany but never saw a single stick of "gopher wood". I'll post more photos later.

Edited by heartstrings

• Members

I was wowed by the building's design and construction which are ingenious and the artwork and craftsmanship are second to none; especially stuff like the animal "kinds" and the dinosaur models. Everything is first class. I have some opinions on some of the speculative stuff which is displayed, but I will save mentioning those for a later date.  I still hold to    "........... blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed." There is no comparison to that. The best thing was, that the plan of salvation was presented throughout.

Edited by heartstrings

• Moderators

My biggest issue is that it is built more as a boat, than an 'ark', which is a box, a chest or coffer. Not a boat. It didn't need a bow or stern, because it wasn't 'going' anywhere, just had to float. Not to speak ill of the hard work done, but God didn't tell Noah to build a boat, but an ark.

But that's just my thoughts. Still would go see it if I was in the area, but I wouldn't travel to see it. I still think they found the real one in Turkey, but not sure there, either, of course.

• Members

The most important part of a ship is its keel which is like the "backbone" of the whole thing. From an engineering standpoint, I can't see a straight-sided "box" with a displacement of several thousand tons, withstanding heavy seas without breaking up unless it had several "keels" running the length of it and LOTS of internal bracing. .Maybe brother Noah had an even better design.

• Members
23 hours ago, heartstrings said:

The most important part of a ship is its keel which is like the "backbone" of the whole thing. From an engineering standpoint, I can't see a straight-sided "box" with a displacement of several thousand tons, withstanding heavy seas without breaking up unless it had several "keels" running the length of it and LOTS of internal bracing. .Maybe brother Noah had an even better design.

I have no doubt that God gave every instruction to Noah that he needed to complete the ark. including

Genesis 6:13-15 ¶  And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth.
14  Make thee an ark of gopher wood; rooms shalt thou make in the ark, and shalt pitch it within and without with pitch.
15  And this is the fashion which thou shalt make it of: The length of the ark shall be three hundred cubits, the breadth of it fifty cubits, and the height of it thirty cubits.
16  A window shalt thou make to the ark, and in a cubit shalt thou finish it above; and the door of the ark shalt thou set in the side thereof; with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it.

• Members

"with lower, second, and third stories shalt thou make it."

Uh Oh....they did it wrong in this one, it has four.

Yes, I wasn't thinking of that. Just making floors and "rooms" is going to add a tremendous amount of structural bracing. And, if all 8 corners of a "box" have really stout "Gopher wood" beams each one of those would be just a structurally sound as a keel. It wouldn't be navigable but, I don't think it needed to be.

One thing which was interesting; they had a small fenced off area down at one end of one floor with a couple of small goats and an alpaca. You could smell it quite well from a considerable distance. Imagine what the real ark smelled like filled with about 1000+ critters. I'll bet Brother Noah spent most of his time by that "window" at the top. :)

• Moderators
4 hours ago, heartstrings said:

Yes, I wasn't thinking of that. Just making floors and "rooms" is going to add a tremendous amount of structural bracing. And, if all 8 corners of a "box" have really stout "Gopher wood" beams each one of those would be just a structurally sound as a keel. It wouldn't be navigable but, I don't think it needed to be.

One thing which was interesting; they had a small fenced off area down at one end of one floor with a couple of small goats and an alpaca. You could smell it quite well from a considerable distance. Imagine what the real ark smelled like filled with about 1000+ critters. I'll bet Brother Noah spent most of his time by that "window" at the top. :)

It has been speculated that the ark may have had a moonpool, which would replace the air regularly inside to keep it from getting too ripe. Just speculation, of course, but I am sure someone thought about the conditions of the air in an enclosed space full of animals for a year.

• Members
12 hours ago, heartstrings said:

The fourth might be the bilge!  LOL  Every big ship has a bilge or two.  Some are a full deck in height, many are not.