• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

NEW BOOKLET: THE REFORMATION: A Brief But Important Look (Some Things You Might Not Know)

• Members

NEW BOOKLET: THE REFORMATION: A Brief But Important Look (Some Things You Might Not Know)

2017 marks the 500th year anniversary of the Reformation period in history. This year, orthodox, ecumenical, emergent, liberal, and even secular groups will be “honoring” the Reformation. In this new booklet by Roger Oakland, certain aspects of the Reformation will be discussed, aspects you won’t find in these other circles.  THE REFORMATION: A Brief But […]

The post NEW BOOKLET: THE REFORMATION: A Brief But Important Look (Some Things You Might Not Know) appeared first on .

View the full article

• Members

A somewhat good article dealing with the Reformation, and the aftermath that we see today, and the lack of spirituality of the Reformation churches in our age.

One thought that struck me, in a different vein of thought, was how Luther and the Reformers were able to reach the masses of Europe with their message. I will quote an excerpt, "The key ideas of the Reformation—a call to purify the church and a belief that the Bible, not tradition, should be the sole source of spiritual authority—were not themselves novel. However, Luther and the other reformers became the first to skillfully use the power of the printing press to give their ideas a wide audience." As the article clearly states, the Reformation beliefs were not novel, they were not new, they already existed. But, the Reformers, among other avenues, took their beliefs and put them on the printed page in a massive scale.

Herein lies my thoughts on how throughout history the churches that were never in the Catholic Church, nor the Reformation Movement, were unable to have a greater outreach; they did not, or were unable to due to persecution, put much of their history, and doctrinal beliefs, into the hands of the people with the printed page.

It has been said, "The pen is mightier than the sword."  I would behoove my brethren who are rock-solid, KJV, independent Baptist, fundamentalists, to put into print what you believe, and why you believe it, so that the printed page can take the truths of the scripture where we cannot go.

Alan