• Welcome Guest

For an ad free experience on Online Baptist, Please login or register for free

Mr.

Guest Roy Keith Sutherland

Guest Roy Keith Sutherland

How should one correctly read the translation of Matthew 16:18? And I tell you, you are Peter AND on this rock I will build my church ...

The Greek word used here for AND puzzles me. Looking at the translation of kai, in some cases it can be translated as BUT. This would make more sense to me reading: And I tell you, you are Peter, but on this rock (referring to Christ himself) I will build my church ...

I think this has a stronger justification when looking at the beginning of the sentence where And is translated from a different Greek word, de.

I seems proper to me that Jesus would build his Church on himself, even more so when considering following scriptures on the nature of the Church. 

Understanding the significance of this question which relates to the justification by the Catholic Church of the Popes supremacy, is why this is of interest to me.

Why would they use two different Greek words in the same scripture setting?, but to point to a different meaning than what is commonly accepted by some.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

G'day brother,

Where are you in PNG?

I know of a few missionaries over there, and a couple of evangelists who do training camps.

I am in Western Australia, and my daughter went to PNG for two weeks to help a missionary about two years ago.

• Members

Guest Sutherland,

Matthew 16:18 has puzzled a lot of people. Partly it is because of the preconceived beliefs of the Roman Catholic Church.

Sometimes the structure of a sentence, whether in Greek or in English, is not as clear as we would want it. When this is the case, we need to look at the context of the verse (or subject), and then we need to properly interpret the verse through other verses in the scripture that deal with the same subject. Very briefly, in the case of Matthew 16:18, using the aforementioned criteria, it is very obvious that Christ was referring to Himself as the rock on which the church is built and not Peter (in Greek, the word petros means a small stone).  The Lord Jesus is the rock of our salvation (not Peter), and the chief cornerstone of the church. Therefore, the church is built on Christ. "O come, let us sing unto the LORD: let us make a joyful noise to the rock of our salvation." Psalm 95:1 and "And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ being the chief corner stone." Ephesians 2:20

Joseph,

Welcome! We are always glad to have a new friend and we are looking forward to the start of a time of good fellowship with you.

I am sure that as you follow the discussions, and research some of the studies here on OnLine Baptist, that the Lord will help you in you Bible knowledge and bless your walk with Christ.

Alan

• Members

I know a guy who is based around the region of Yonki, and another guy who has a ministry based out of Alotou, working in the islands out of there.

My daughter went with a small group to the area near Poppondetta.

Each of the men in those areas are able to teach and train Pastors.

If you would like to have a chat, maybe you can send me a message.

Dave.